Page 90 of 129 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 3203

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

New Marconi Union album tomorrow!

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    New Marconi Union album tomorrow!
    Actually, I got my CD today!

Actually - there are two new MU albums out today. Different Colours, and Weightless: Ambient Transmissions V.2. It's pretty much the best day ever in the history of ambient music.

So far, Different Colours is completely blowing my mind. Once again, MU proves how far ahead they are of any of their contemporaries. Track 3, "Flying (in Crimson Skies)" is a bona fide masterpiece.

Actually, I got my CD today!

Actually - there are two new MU albums out today. Different Colours, and Weightless: Ambient Transmissions V.2. It's pretty much the best day ever in the history of ambient music.

So far, Different Colours is completely blowing my mind. Once again, MU proves how far ahead they are of any of their contemporaries. Track 3, "Flying (in Crimson Skies)" is a bona fide masterpiece.
    I've actually been enjoying their first two albums (Under Wires & Searchlights and [Distance]) since the weekend. Thanks for turning me on to these guys...great background/reading music.

Distance is amazing.

Distance is amazing.
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome and I haven't even listened with headphones yet. Is this your favorite MU album?

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome and I haven't even listened with headphones yet. Is this your favorite MU album?
    So hard for me to pick a favorite. Each one is amazing and different in its own right. Distance is special for me though, in that it was the album that got me back into making music.

For a long time, A Lost Connection was my least favorite, but then last year I started listening to it again, and for awhile I was convinced it was their best.

But then last year's Beautifully Falling Apart came out, and it was my favorite for awhile, and still might be their best strictly-ambient album (although today's release of Weightless might challenge that.)

My least favorite is probably 13, but only because it's not really an album; it's a collection of remixes and unreleased tracks. However, it contains one of my top 5 MU tracks, "Buildings Without People," a variation of "Buildings and People," from Distance.

Really, they're all amazing.

Let's just put it this way: Marconi Union's body of work comprises some of the ~6 best hours of ambient-electronic music ever produced.

The things I love about them is their instrumentation, their understanding of timbre (tone quality and color), and that they rarely lose site of melody. Their sonic pallet, as it were, is my favorite.

pallet

Just what we need: one more grammar nazi up in this place.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Stupid homophones.

Are there any songwriters on this board? I've been messing with some of my songs by adding background vocal tracks using Audacity. Is that a decent program? Are there better free ones out there? I'm relatively new when it comes to mixing tracks and I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but I'm open to suggestions/advice..

Some favorites..

Top 5 Brian Eno songs (vocal):

1. The River (album: Wrong Way Up)

[youtube]KyXCobF-jlI[/youtube]

2. Some Words (album: My Squelchy Life)

[youtube]NaI_qKn0XHI[/youtube]

3. The Roil, The Choke (album: Nerve Net)

[youtube]azNXAAH-H08[/youtube]

4. Stiff (album: My Squelchy Life)

[youtube]1zW37Ek7rTk[/youtube]

5. Spider and I (album: Before and After Science)

[youtube]SPluE34pkGg[/youtube]

HM:

On Some Faraway Beach (album: Here Come the Warm Jets)

[youtube]8HwUsgZ_fXU&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

The Great Pretender (album: Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy))

[youtube]WQ-Hv4tOk2E[/youtube]
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Stupid homophones.
    Bigot!
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I've only heard a few of those Eno tunes, and I consider myself a fan. :sad:

More things like this please!

Also, it seems to me that Fiona Apple's new album is the most buzzed-about of the year so far, but I'm curious to see what people here think of it/her in general. How does it compare to her other stuff, and how should I approach it as a newcomer to her music?

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I've only heard a few of those Eno tunes, and I consider myself a fan. :sad:

More things like this please!

Also, it seems to me that Fiona Apple's new album is the most buzzed-about of the year so far, but I'm curious to see what people here think of it/her in general. How does it compare to her other stuff, and how should I approach it as a newcomer to her music?
    To me, Apple begins and ends with Criminal. Great song. The rest of her stuff I can take or leave.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

A Web of Sound by The Seeds is very, very close to being added to my perfect album list. Maybe a couple more plays....
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    my thoughts on the new record are here.

if you're a newcomer i would probably recommend starting with When the Pawn... i do think The Idler Wheel... is probably her best work, but it gains something from being viewed in light of her earlier work. also, When the Pawn... is just a more inviting album. it's much easier for me to fathom someone finding parts of The Idler Wheel... off putting if its their first exposure to Fiona.

Extraordinary Machine is fantastic as well, but i prefer the bootlegged Jon Brion mixes to the Mike Elizondo produced re-recording she ended up releasing officially. and Tidal functions more as a collection of singles than an album proper. still highly recommended, just not as good an introduction as When the Pawn... or as defining a statement as The Idler Wheel...

i think this post makes it very apparent that i view Fiona to be one of the best artists of the last 20 years. the fact that she isn't putting out albums every other year probably aids her consistency, but i'm kind of stunned that i've been listening to her since i was 12 years old and she's never disappointed. so many of my favorite bands put out albums i'm anticipating highly, and when they finally come out i have to readjust my expectations to really appreciate them. Fiona just keeps upping the ante.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    Are there any songwriters on this board? I've been messing with some of my songs by adding background vocal tracks using Audacity. Is that a decent program? Are there better free ones out there? I'm relatively new when it comes to mixing tracks and I'm not looking for anything too fancy, but I'm open to suggestions/advice..
    Check out Reaper. It's not exactly free, but the demo never expires and it's not feature-locked. And if you like it, it's only $60. It is more robust than Audacity, but it is also intuitive and easy to use.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Good Eno choices, Russ.

This is probably my favorite Eno w/ vocals.

[youtube]ldPkTI9jZxE[/youtube]

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    A Web of Sound by The Seeds is very, very close to being added to my perfect album list. Maybe a couple more plays....
    ritch:

Do you like Love?

Looks like I'm going to be a part of the next Meditone Project. Really looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure that I posted a link to the Meditone Project Volume 1 in the listening thread, but here it is again. It's one of my favorite ambient releases of the year so far.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)
    ritch:

Do you like Love?
    Haven't heard it. I'm not even sure how I came to have A Web of Sound on my computer (I search many places for recommendations of older stuff). I know nothing else about the band....time to start digging!
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

Web of Sound is great, The Seeds have the best grasp on groove of any 60's garage band methinks.

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Haven't heard it. I'm not even sure how I came to have A Web of Sound on my computer (I search many places for recommendations of older stuff). I know nothing else about the band....time to start digging!
    Love is a band from about the same time. Started off garage-rockey then got slightly more folksy and weird. Good stuff. I'm sure you have heard it before, they are used occasionally in films and stuff.

I vaguely remember trans not liking Forever Changes? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Web of Sound is great, The Seeds have the best grasp on groove of any 60's garage band methinks.
    Better than Monks? Anyway, I've only heard the 1 or 2 Seeds tracks on Nuggets, but looks like their first 2 albums are worth checking out.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    I vaguely remember trans not liking Forever Changes? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
    I know trans is easily bored/made sleepy, but surely not Forever Changes.

Page 90 of 129 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast