Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Files

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    A couple of really bad episodes didn't prepare me for how absolutely awful the finale is. The first episode ever I just couldn't sit through - had the last 30 minutes playing in the background while working on the computer.
    Oh yeah, it's shockingly bad. I'd like to know the thought process behind it.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Too causal!

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Weird how quickly time flies, and how much can change.

8 years ago I started this thread while my then wife and I had started re-watching the series.

Now, I'm back to season one again, this time watching it with my girlfriend.

Since starting this thread, I've owned 2 different homes, been married and divorced, lived in 2 different rental properties, and had 2 grandmothers die.

Sounds like a lot.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Okay I'm excited.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So many mysteries of the X-Files could have been solved, revealed and exposed had Mulder or Scully had an iPhone, access to social media, and an IMGUR / Instagram.

If you went back in time and introduced a smart phone to almost all of the plots, they would play out completely differently. Every time Mulder sees something when Scully isn't around, all he'd have to do is snap a pic and IM it to her.

What's so fun about the dynamic is that they're on such opposite extremes. You hear a lot of fans rag on Scully for not being more open minded faster after all the weird stuff that she's seen, but you rarely hear fans acknowledge just how fucking insane Mulder is. It's not just that he believes anything is possible, it's that he jumps to paranormal conclusions immediately, even when there is a mundane explanation available. In those early seasons, it feels like if he sees one guy trip on a sidewalk he would launch into a speech about how many cultures around the world have stories about phantoms pushing people off balance. I like to imagine that between every episode, the duo takes on a dozen normal cases where Mulder tries to pin on the paranormal from the jump and gets proven otherwise. And really Scully rejects his theories all the time because she's just so sick of his shit.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

My GF and I have come to the conclusion that Scully is the greatest female character ever created. She is so complex and nuanced.

Their dynamic is incredible.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What's so fun about the dynamic is that they're on such opposite extremes. You hear a lot of fans rag on Scully for not being more open minded faster after all the weird stuff that she's seen, but you rarely hear fans acknowledge just how fucking insane Mulder is. It's not just that he believes anything is possible, it's that he jumps to paranormal conclusions immediately, even when there is a mundane explanation available. In those early seasons, it feels like if he sees one guy trip on a sidewalk he would launch into a speech about how many cultures around the world have stories about phantoms pushing people off balance. I like to imagine that between every episode, the duo takes on a dozen normal cases where Mulder tries to pin on the paranormal from the jump and gets proven otherwise. And really Scully rejects his theories all the time because she's just so sick of his shit.
    "Mulder, he tripped and fell-- this isn't an X-file."
    "Scully, as far back as the Hopi shona and the Hindu pavari, myth and folklore tells of trickster spirits who meddle with human balance."
    "You can't ascribe what happened here to the paranormal. Folklore tells us of spirits like that, yes, because the world is a fundamentally imbalanced place, and putting our failings on the shoulders of superstition helps us to make sense of... Mulder, why are you looking at my feet?"
    "Did you notice you haven't stepped on a single crack since we got out of the car?"
    "..."
    "So much for superstition."
    "...the sheriff's over here, Mulder."
    "I'm sure your mother's back is fine."

X-files on blu-ray this december!!!!!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17711
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I feel asleep during the opening credits.

Didn't watch it yet. Saw some random review that said the first episode is meh, but the second one is supposed to be real good.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Yeah, first episode felt windbaggy, even for Chris Carter, and one sequence suggests a new overarching conspiracy-making that's damn near hilarious for how convoluted and rapid-fire the information flies at the audience. That said, I enjoyed watching the characters again, the main titles, seeing familiar faces and noticing all the tie-ins to prior episodes, not least of which with a triangle spaceship that hearkens all the way back to "Deep Throat."

I'm a fan who's never taken the conspiracy mytharc seriously at all, I mostly enjoy them for how camp the paranoia can be (making fun of Mulder is 60% of my enjoyment of the show), so I wasn't really as phased by the first ep as most people seem to be. Joel McHale's monologue in particular is hilarious to me, and feels at home with the show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Loved that they kept the main title sequence largely intact. Very cool.

Yes - the expository dialog and INFODUMP was entirely too on the nose, but in light of the recent political climate it makes a lot of sense. Hard to believe that there hasn't been an X-Files during the last decade of this Political Theater shit show. The introduction of an Alex Jones type character is great. I really hope they touch upon how the smart phone and other newer technology changes the investigative nature of the show. It should be really freaking easy for Mulder to capture some images and video now! Damn, that dude should be wearing a GoPro ALL THE FREAKING TIME!

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I was at the same Secret Space Program conference as Chris Carter in 2014. He stood behind me in the lunch line with Foster Gamble (of Proctor & Gamble). He's directly lifted much of the material in this first ep—like the 'ARV'—from it.

There was a bit too much exposition, but I guess he had to get the audience up to speed on the shape of The Conspiracy in 2016. We've come pretty far from 1993. I'm hoping the rest of it is less info-heavy and more cool stuff. Smoking Man back is awesome.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

But damn, 2 episodes down and only 4 to go and I feel like we've gone from zero to 6000. X-files reopened. Mulder and Scully are both FBI agents again? and we see a super cool ARV and now Mulder is convinced of a different conspiracy over the course of 24 hours.

Mulder's defining characteristic is that he jumps to conclusions, especially when it comes to conspiracies. My most recent rewatch in anticipation to this focused only on the mythology episodes, and the dude changes his mind about his lifelong crusade like 6 times, not even based on flimsy evidence, but just by meeting some new shady guy who claims to know things.
    Movie Theater Diary

I didn't think I was emtionally invested in this until Scully did an autopsy and I was like, awwwwwww. I missed this.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I didn't think I was emtionally invested in this until Scully did an autopsy and I was like, awwwwwww. I missed this.
    So this.

Or the jabs Mulder was giving the Bill ORiley guy in the limo. I'm hoping the ratings on this series is spectacular so we'll get more episodes or another movie.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm hoping the ratings on this series is spectacular so we'll get more episodes or another movie.
    It's huge.
    Movie Theater Diary

Is there talk of making it an ongoing series again?

I'd rather see a good movie or mini-series every other year or so.

But I'll take more X-Files any way, so long as it's good.

Have I mentioned yet that Gillian Anderson is the most beautiful woman in the world?

She is the most beautiful woman in the world.

She starts talking and my brain melts every time.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast