Page 886 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 38678683687688488588688788889693698613861886 ... LastLast
Results 22,126 to 22,150 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Most people get surly at being corrected, but yeah, I know some people who take it as the height of rudeness.

I used to correct everyone all the time (including grammar) and I just gave up. It only pissed people off. I generally only correct people now IRL when I've given up on diplomacy and I'm ready to have a fight.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Most people get surly at being corrected, but yeah, I know some people who take it as the height of rudeness.

I used to correct everyone all the time (including grammar) and I just gave up. It only pissed people off. I generally only correct people now IRL when I've given up on diplomacy and I'm ready to have a fight.

This was a case of him saying something that was blatantly untrue, though. This wasn't me correcting him on grammar or something.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This was a case of him saying something that was blatantly untrue, though. This wasn't me correcting him on grammar or something.
    Yeah, the grammar thing was probably pretty snotty of me. I grew out of that in my teens.

But "blatantly untrue" I generally let slide now, too, especially with casual friends, co-workers, roommates, etc. If it's a good friend and I know we can discuss it without the roof caving in, fine, yeah. (Like my sister and I spatting over whether or not Ayn Rand is female. Hint: SHE IS.)

But generally I'm too tired and gun-shy to get into a fight, even when I know they're wrong. Sometimes I escape with a smug feeling of superiority, but mostly it's just frustrating. If someone is consistently giving out bad information, I'm more likely to wean off the relationship comletely than try to argue it.

I don't LIKE that it's that way, mind you. But I'm sick and tired of arguing. Sometimes I feel like I've been arguing with everyone my whole life, and I just want everyone to stop yelling. Then I shut mysef in a room and go to my happy quiet place.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Probably the best thing about fighting on the internet is that it's silent.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, admittedly I should have known better than to get into the argument in the first place, because this is a guy who is socially retarded and has a history of spazzing out over little things.

But it wasn't like I was being aggressive. It was just "no, that's impossible", totally calm and civilized and not like I was talking down to him or being accusatory.

Whatever!

... this is a guy who is socially retarded and has a history of spazzing out over little things.
    That goes without saying. All I had to read in your post was that he told you to grow up, and I knew the score.

Ugh. People.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, admittedly I should have known better than to get into the argument in the first place, because this is a guy who is socially retarded and has a history of spazzing out over little things.

But it wasn't like I was being aggressive. It was just "no, that's impossible", totally calm and civilized and not like I was talking down to him or being accusatory.

Whatever!
    What had he said?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

That's the kind of stuff that would lead you to restraining-order-city around here.

You look at the wrong girl around here and she'll cry "stalker".
    Man, people in Ottawa should win some sort of award for the highest assohole per capita.

It's now a multi-person drunken sing-a-long to "Lean On Me."

I'M MOVING TO ALASKA.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's now a multi-person drunken sing-a-long to "Lean On Me."

I'M MOVING TO ALASKA.
    1) Earplugs.
    2) Ask them to be quiet.
    3) Call the cops.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    What had he said?

This will sound really pathetic, but he stated that he had beaten the new "Halo" game on Legendary (the hardest difficulty) in less than 3 hours.

Considering the fact that there are 10 levels, each of which take up to an hour to get through, this is impossible.

Which illustrates my point of how minor this "argument" was, and how totally disproportionate his anger was over being told he was wrong.

1) Earplugs.
    2) Ask them to be quiet.
    3) Call the cops.
    3 should definitely happen if 2 doesn't work. Don't be that type of person.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm lucky, loud noise has never bothered me when I'm trying to sleep. Nor does light.

In fact, I cannot sleep in silence. I find silence unbearable.

1) Earplugs.
    2) Ask them to be quiet.
    3) Call the cops.
    ALASKA, I SAY.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Man, people in Ottawa should win some sort of award for the highest assohole per capita.

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (in that you think I'm exaggerating) but I really do agree.

It blows my mind.

Jen's neighbourhood is so much nicer, friendlier and less judgmental than the people are here in Ottawa. It's unbelievable.

ALASKA, I SAY.
    I want to visit there, but the long periods of dusk/days would be miserable.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I want to visit there, but the long periods of dusk/days would be miserable.

God?

No god.

One of my goals within the next ten years would be to climb Mt. McKinley actually. I'm looking up classes on ice climbing/glacier travelling for this winter

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

This will sound really pathetic, but he stated that he had beaten the new "Halo" game on Legendary (the hardest difficulty) in less than 3 hours.

Considering the fact that there are 10 levels, each of which take up to an hour to get through, this is impossible.

Which illustrates my point of how minor this "argument" was, and how totally disproportionate his anger was over being told he was wrong.
    Well, what you did was call him out on a blatant lie more than tell him he was wrong. I don't blame you at all, but bullshitters do not take kindly to being called on their bullshit. That's why they call it money.

Wait, I did that wrong.

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not (in that you think I'm exaggerating) but I really do agree.

It blows my mind.

Jen's neighbourhood is so much nicer, friendlier and less judgmental than the people are here in Ottawa. It's unbelievable.
    I do wonder how much of it is filtered through your perception of your surroundings (you feel trapped, want to move, want a new job, have had bad past experiences there, etc.) and how much of it is literally an entire city of people who sound like the biggest collection of douchebags I've ever heard described.

Everyone I've ever met from Ottawa has been very nice.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Everyone I've ever met who grew up in Ottawa, lived there their whole lives, moved there later in life, or just lived there for a short while, has been very nice. With the exception of meg, they've also all really liked the city. Obviously meg has met more people that fit in those categories than I have, but his utter loathing for everything Ottawa-related is baffling.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

It's more Stittsville, to be honest.

This is a suburb we moved into when it was basically a farming community centralized around a train station.

It has become a suburb full of mansions where NHL hockey players live (no joke - Daniel Alfredsson, Ron Tugnut and Ray Emery all lived across the street from me at different times).

It's very rich, and life here feels like "The Hills". But I'm the one guy who's not rich or good looking.

It's very rich, and life here feels like "The Hills".
    I retract my bafflement.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

I don't care if someone has a lot of money, I just don't like when that money comes with a sense of entitlement.

Signing out of Match Cut on my computer so I will hopefully actually get myself to stop reading it for a while. I'll probably come back some day.