Page 817 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 31771776780781581681781881982786791713171817 ... LastLast
Results 20,401 to 20,425 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Anyone know what's up with Amnesiac? He hasn't posted in a few weeks and his avatar is deleted.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Also, good to see that trotchky is posting again. I was worried he was dead.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Anyone know what's up with Amnesiac? He hasn't posted in a few weeks and his avatar is deleted.
    He is probably gun shy about posting after his big argument in the FDT which was ultimately deleted I believe. He still lurks though.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    He is probably gun shy about posting after his big argument in the FDT which was ultimately deleted I believe. He still lurks though.
    Oh, I missed it. I checked his most recent posts, but if it was deleted, then I wouldn't have seen it.

I hope he comes around again-- I think he's good people.

I THINK YOU'RE GOOD PEOPLE, AMNESIAC.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt went through a car window today, and can only laugh about it:

Nice.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My sister-in-law is pregnant. She's here for her birthday dessert party and just said this with regards to the baby (due in September)...

"He better not be a fatass. I'll put that thing up for adoption and try again."

Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

What does that even mean? How do you know if someone is a "fatass" at that age in order to put him up for adoption? I hope she was making a very bad, cruel joke.

SFW

[]

I THINK YOU'RE GOOD PEOPLE, AMNESIAC.
    If he reads this he won't remember.

I've always liked Amnesiac, so I wish he'd start posting again.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    My sister-in-law is pregnant. She's here for her birthday dessert party and just said this with regards to the baby (due in September)...

"He better not be a fatass. I'll put that thing up for adoption and try again."

Some people shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
    I knew a set of girls whose mother gave them all eating disorders. The whole family is a mess, but the girls have an especially unhealthy relationship with food.

When the oldest girl had her first baby, during the first couple of years of the baby's life the girl would say things like, "I don't know, she just seems to be gaining weight really quickly" and "Since I switched her from formula to whole milk, she's been packing on the pounds." I was so disgusted, I figured that the cycle was continuing. However, the girl got her head on straight and ended up being a really great mother, and stopped obsessing about every mouthful her kids ate. And of course, her kids are perfectly heathy.

By the way, after the girl had her first baby, her mother paid for her to have liposuction to get rid of the baby weight. After her second baby, her mother started pressuring her again to have surgery, and the girl told her to go to hell.

So, people can change.
    ...and the milk's in me.

One of my friends was actually hospitalized for anorexia when she was 6 years old... Shes battled with eating disorders, quite literally, her whole life. Its really depressing and such a difficult thing to overcome. I dont know why any parent would ever think of instilling those kind of paranoid delusions onto a child, when just teaching them to eat right and be healthy is the most effective and nurturing thing you can do.
    Follow me on Twitter

I think body hair just doesn't bother me as much as most people. I just see it as the way the body is, and then I don't think much about it. But then again, I seem to have a gut reaction against anything that changes the body significantly, beyond what you'd ever see naturally: cosmetic surgery, tattoos, excessive waxing/shaving, excessive dieting/"pumping up", etc. I'm a fan of the human body. I think it's beautiful just the way it is, as long as it's kept healthy and clean.

Do you shave your legs and pits?
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Girl awarded valedictorian. Decided to use her graduation speech to rip the school and the American education system apart.

http://americaviaerica.blogspot.com/
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Girl awarded valedictorian. Decided to use her graduation speech to rip the school and the American education system apart.

http://americaviaerica.blogspot.com/
    What a disillusioned, crowd catering, self-loathing misfit. Life will be hard for her.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Do you shave your legs and pits?
    Yes, because there's so much cultural pressure to do so. But if I lived in a country where it was not the norm, I would stop shaving in a heartbeat.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I knew a set of girls whose mother gave them all eating disorders. The whole family is a mess, but the girls have an especially unhealthy relationship with food.

When the oldest girl had her first baby, during the first couple of years of the baby's life the girl would say things like, "I don't know, she just seems to be gaining weight really quickly" and "Since I switched her from formula to whole milk, she's been packing on the pounds." I was so disgusted, I figured that the cycle was continuing. However, the girl got her head on straight and ended up being a really great mother, and stopped obsessing about every mouthful her kids ate. And of course, her kids are perfectly heathy.

By the way, after the girl had her first baby, her mother paid for her to have liposuction to get rid of the baby weight. After her second baby, her mother started pressuring her again to have surgery, and the girl told her to go to hell.

So, people can change.

Yeah, stuff like this is quite prevalent where I live.

There was a girl I went to high school with named Olivia, and every September she'd come back to school and have gained tons of weight over the summer. Then she would disappear for 2 weeks and return to school looking perfectly slim.

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    One of my friends was actually hospitalized for anorexia when she was 6 years old... Shes battled with eating disorders, quite literally, her whole life. Its really depressing and such a difficult thing to overcome. I dont know why any parent would ever think of instilling those kind of paranoid delusions onto a child, when just teaching them to eat right and be healthy is the most effective and nurturing thing you can do.
    I'm so sorry. That's just terrible. I've never known a child that young to have trouble eating, although I did know one who would force herself not to poop because her parents told her it was "disgusting." She had serious health problems as a result.

With the girl I was talking about earlier, I was at her second wedding reception. They had one near his family, took a honeymoon, and then had a second one near her family. Due to all the pressure, my friend didn't eat for weeks before her first reception, in order to fit into her dress, which was a size 2. During the honeymoon they relaxed and slept and ate, and by the second reception she'd put on about 5 pounds and no longer fit in the wedding dress, which she was supposed to wear. When she showed up in a different outfit, her mother took her aside to a different room, but we could all hear her screaming, "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH YOU? YOU ARE SUCH A PIG!"

That woman. I swear.
    ...and the milk's in me.

People have multiple wedding receptions??

although I did know one who would force herself not to poop because her parents told her it was "disgusting." She had serious health problems as a result.
    Whuh--What the hell?
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

People have multiple wedding receptions??
    It's not uncommon among people I know where the families live in different places. They're usually not all-out expensive receptions, just some food and dancing at a church or in someone's backyard.

Whuh--What the hell?
    True story. I didn't even know you could do that. The problems started when she was potty training at about 2 and last I heard (she's about 7 or 8 now) she's not over it. She'll just hold it and hold it until she makes herself sick. The doctor finally prescribed special laxatives (which they hate giving to someone so young). She'll take the laxatives and then her parent or her daycare provider (whom I know, which is how I knew this kid) will have to sit with her in the bathroom while she cries and screams and poops.

She refuses to talk about poop, so they've had little luck with the doctors who have tried to figure out why she's doing this. She'll just say it's "disgusting," which is what her parents would say when she was being potty trained.

Personally, I'd also like to point out that her parents split up, divorced, reconciled, remarried, and split up again within the first five years of her life. That can't have helped.
    ...and the milk's in me.

No no no, I'm not at all surprised by the health problems. I'm just flabbergasted why a parent would tell a kid that pooping is disgusting. Do they not do it too? Fuckers.
    Movie Theater Diary

No no no, I'm not at all surprised by the health problems. I'm just flabbergasted why a parent would tell a kid that pooping is disgusting. Do they not do it too? Fuckers.
    They were badwords for sure and certain.

They needed this I guess.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That's awful, Mara.

There was a boy I grew up with named Mitchell who was always - right from kindergarten - hugely overweight. It wasn't until high school that I found out his parents were quite abusive, and would basically feed him unendingly as a way of controlling him and keeping him out of their faces so to speak.

In grade 9 he ended up being hospitalized because all he ever ate was meat and candy, and his stool backed up so far that his stomach was flooded with it and it was essentially poisoning him.

Last I heard he was in university, living in residence, and had become so big that he couldn't physically get to class anymore, so special arrangements had to be made for him to "attend" class remotely via a webcam on his computer, and all of his assignments would be either delivered to his dorm or sent to him electronically.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Should it be seen as "understandable" that a black person kill a white person for saying it? Fuck no.
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    That is not what I was arguing and I don't think that argument really exists.
    This. I'm not sure if anybody would actually argue this.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Spinal
    That is not what I was arguing and I don't think that argument really exists.

Unfortunately situations like this do occur. I have, myself, seen latinos beat the crap out of a white guy for saying the n-word, and it wasn't even directed towards them but rather him just saying it in passing like a "whats up nigga" type thing to one of his friends.

Again, like I said in the other thread, it's just a fucking WORD. If we as a society want it to lose its power and the hate and violence associated with, we have to - all of us - learn to see that it is just a WORD. Like a TV show you don't like, a book you don't want to read or a song you don't like - just don't pay attention to it.

The incredible overreaction it gets from some people is what's keeping it so powerful. The word itself is completely arbitrary.