Page 1741 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 741124116411691173117391740174117421743175117911841 ... LastLast
Results 43,501 to 43,525 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I'm not at home, so I can't bookmark this site that I want to visit again. So, I hope MatchCut doesn't mind if I just link to it here. Seems like a very useful site for voters.

http://votesmart.org/
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I'm not at home, so I can't bookmark this site that I want to visit again. So, I hope MatchCut doesn't mind if I just link to it here. Seems like a very useful site for voters.

http://votesmart.org/
    If you're using chrome on your mobile device it saves it across every browser on every device for you. Just an FYI.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If you're using chrome on your mobile device it saves it across every browser on every device for you. Just an FYI.
    Chrome is not a work-approved application.

I think I have a new addiction. I've just listened to all 2.5 hours of oral arguments in Obergefell v. Hodges and am starting Glossip v. Gross

Who needs music or tv when you can listen to hours of SCOTUS judges pretending to act like they are arguing with petitioners and defendants when really they're just arguing with each other on points to which they've already set their minds?

'Murica!

Considering this site is decaying like Detroit that It Follows banner is more than appropriate.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So... if this is true...

Apparently someone in San Diego threw out a full script of my play that was produced ages ago when I was in college. A person found it in the trash, read it, googled me, and tweeted to me that they liked it.

Thanks! And... huh?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ah, springtime. Time to actually move furniture and clean underneath.

Dust bunnies? Try entire colonies of dust rabbits, angry, holding little protest signs, "Down with Swiff!!"

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    So... if this is true...

Apparently someone in San Diego threw out a full script of my play that was produced ages ago when I was in college. A person found it in the trash, read it, googled me, and tweeted to me that they liked it.

Thanks! And... huh?
    It's sorta nice to be noticed and then horribly rejected I guess? That's weird.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

There's a joke about recycling in there somewhere.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Frequency 2156 - post-apocalyptic radio broadcasts from the future.

http://www.frequency2156.com/

Haha, Bill O'Reilly is doing a stand up tour with Dennis Miller.

I was always convinced that O'Reilly really wishes to be a comedian and that's why he engages Jon Stewart so often.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Today I was in a therapy session, talking to the woman I've been visiting off and on since the fall. Towards the beginning of the session, mostly catching her up on what's happened since the last time I saw her, a little over two weeks ago (money being as it is, I catch her when I can).

In the middle of explaining where I'm at, I idly mention that sometimes I feel silly and guilty for visiting her and discussing what feel like poor causes for anxiety in a world where so many people are suffering so much worse than me. She asks if I want to talk about Nepal or something in a half-joking way, and she's about to reassure me that my issues have validity to me, as she's done before, when she gets a phone call.

"I have to take it," she says, and she rushes into the adjacent room. Oh, I think, must be personal, hope everything's okay. I fiddle with my iPhone, which I haven't yet mastered after a year of study, and then all of a sudden, sobbing from the other room, through the thin walls.

Sobbing, and then a deep, wailing "Oh no," the kind that starts in the base of the chest and erupts. More crying, sobbing. I try to not listen out of respect, and all I hear clearly is "Next Monday morning," followed by more crying.

She comes back in, tears, red eyes, her face the picture of heartbreak. Not knowing what to do, I tell her, "Don't worry about the session," like that was even on her mind, and I offer an awkward hug, which she accepts, although it's a stiff embrace between provider and client. She explains that she went in last week for a routine CAT scan to follow up on her past breast cancer, and the doctors found spots on her liver.

After making sure she has people to call, I leave and immediately call up my parents, tell them I love them. My mom mentions offhandedly that liver cancer is a death sentence, and that "Oh no" comes back. I may have heard the very moment a human being learned how they were going to die. "Oh no." It's still echoing in my mind. Life is so precious and stupid and absurd.

Very sad.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm so sorry. That's rough.
    ...and the milk's in me.

That's horrible, D&MU.

Sarah and I are off on Sunday to Ireland and England for a two and a half week trip with students of hers, so I'll be largely gone from the forum during that time. We'll get to see Joyce's Dublin, Belfast and the Troubles graffiti, a bucket-ton of things in London (British Museum, As You Like It at the Globe, Tolkien and Lewis tidbits, and other things). Plus we'll be seeing Julie Ruin (yeah Kathleen Hanna!) in Brighton... take care and have good discussion, everyone!
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

- - - - -
    You kinda have to see this

https://www.lily.camera

It's a personalized drone that follows you around & takes pictures & video

Am I the only one that didnt know Temple Of Doom was a prequel? Holy crap....

Yeah, I didn't realize that until years later.

That reminds me, I really need to set aside some time to revisit those great films. All of them. The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets so much hate, but I really like it.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Am I the only one that didnt know Temple Of Doom was a prequel? Holy crap....
    Right? I think it's best to ignore its prequel status, since Indy dealing with voodoo and glowing stones and heart-pulling-out human sacrifice kinda ruins the idea in Raiders that he's skeptical about the Ark's "hocus-pocus."

I should rewatch Temple of Doom. I hated it a lot the one time I saw it.

But I also really didn't like Last Crusade very much the last (that is, second or third) time I watched it.

Though it does answer some very fascinating questions about Indiana Jones.

Such as "Why does he wear a hat?"

Temple takes a lot of flack, but I love that flick. It was my first Indy film.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I should rewatch Temple of Doom. I hated it a lot the one time I saw it.

But I also really didn't like Last Crusade very much the last (that is, second or third) time I watched it.

Though it does answer some very fascinating questions about Indiana Jones.

Such as "Why does he wear a hat?"
    Yeah, neither are good. Temple is bizarrely ugly and racist with cartoon-ish action sequences, and Last Crusade is basically a much lesser remake of the first one with the addition of two annoying old dudes.

Raiders is still incredible, though.

I'm in the camp where Raiders is the worst of the three simply for the fact that Indy had nothing to do with the solution to the premise.

We all die eventually.