PDA

View Full Version : Unfriended (Levan Gabriadze)

TGM
04-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Unfriended

Director: Levan Gabriadze

imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3713166/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk)

http://www.rantlifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Unfriended.jpg

TGM
04-20-2015, 07:54 PM
So did you watch the trailer for this? Then congrats, you've also literally seen the full movie in its entirety!

What lead to that guy sticking his hand in a blender? Guess what, you get JUST as much context and setup for that scene in the movie as you do in the trailer! And the entire movie is this way.

This movie was fucking dumb. And not even fun dumb, like I was hoping, just pointless. Although the very last shot was so cheesy it did get a chuckle from myself and others in my audience, so, yay?

Spinal
04-20-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm hoping the sequel will be called Poked.

Henry Gale
04-21-2015, 03:47 AM
As someone who always maintains the best way to see a movie is in the theatre or on a good sized TV with smartly optimized display settings..

This movie is pretty much perfect to watch on your laptop, right?

TGM
04-21-2015, 03:56 AM
It would honestly be probably be preferable. Watching this on the big screen was actually a strain on my eyes.

TGM
04-21-2015, 03:57 AM
Of course, even more preferable is just not watching it all, but you know...

Pop Trash
04-21-2015, 07:19 AM
Both The Dissolve and AV Club were surprisingly positive about it.

Ivan Drago
04-21-2015, 02:48 PM
It would honestly be probably be preferable. Watching this on the big screen was actually a strain on my eyes.

As cool as the concept is, this is why I'm hesitant to see it despite the positive reviews. It looks like it could be really hard to follow.

MadMan
05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm hoping the sequel will be called Poked.
Reminding myself to rep this post when I'm not on my smartphone.

Gittes
05-04-2015, 08:29 PM
I was getting the sense that this was very poorly received, but maybe not? Mark Kermode offered a pretty positive take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H133cQfz-w

transmogrifier
08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
60/100

Deserves a pass for having the conceit work so well for so long, and being quite inventive with it...if only they had worked out an ending that didn't require co-ordinated screaming for so long and a terrible final 10 seconds.

Dukefrukem
08-15-2015, 02:04 AM
Whoa. This is worth watching once. Had no idea the whole movie was filmed that way.

Dukefrukem
08-15-2015, 02:05 AM
60/100

Deserves a pass for having the conceit work so well for so long, and being quite inventive with it...if only they had worked out an ending that didn't require co-ordinated screaming for so long and a terrible final 10 seconds.

Yup. This.

Henry Gale
08-27-2015, 04:12 AM
Yup, I kinda liked it too. Same issues as Trans, but the visceral shock of the fourth wall.. or, er, single screen break(?) still affected me significantly enough to make the cliche killer-rages-into-the-camera as the pre-cut to black less of an issue than usual.

Also happened to see a rerun of the Modern Family that recently did the same thing. Either they're both two extraordinary, pioneering examples of this that are tough to top (since inevitably, more will try it), or this general conceit/gimmick works way better than it should.

And I did watch in the dark on my laptop, just like I wanted to since it's theatrical release, and I may or may not have been entranced enough to almost go for my cursor once or twice amongst the high window-dragging drama..

Scar
08-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Not too shabby. A pass from me. The final ten seconds weren't horrible, but trim the ending to the laptop getting slammed shut, and roll credits without the killer lunging at the screen

KK2.0
08-31-2015, 01:03 AM
not sure if I enjoyed it more for the novelty than anything else, but damn if it didn't get tense towards the end, obnoxious screaming and all

dreamdead
01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
More interesting formally than I expected, and while everyone's right that the final moments are silly, it's nonetheless better than it has any right to be. Nothing too much to say otherwise.

number8
01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
I feel like the distributor forced the final shot on the filmmakers the way they did with the original Paranormal Activity. It could've been a pretty neat ironic survival.