PDA

View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

bac0n
06-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Jess doesn't like watching me play Blazing Angels 'cause I get a little too into it....

:lol:

Sounds like another Loser Night is in order!

Scar
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Sounds like another Loser Night is in order!

Start applying for kitchen passes! This Saturday night won't work, but there might be a beer or two in the fridge if you want to stop by briefly after work on Friday.

Sycophant
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Those Fatal Frame shots look gorgeous. I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I'm very, very interested.

Scar
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Those Fatal Frame shots look gorgeous. I'm unfamiliar with the series, but I'm very, very interested.

Fatal Frame II scared the shit outta me.

megladon8
06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Man, the "Fatal Frame" games rocked - I actually liked them a fair bit more than what I've seen of the "Silent Hill" games.

Very genuinely creepy.

Sycophant
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Scary video games are awesome, so I'll probably have to pick this up, though I'm unsure whether or not I'd be able to finish it if it really was scary. I never could finish my GameCube copy of Resident Evil, because I was just too frightened. It's a lot easier to progress in a horror story when you're not the one deciding to go down that dark, spooky corridor and can merely say to the character "Don't go down there, idiot! There's zombers!"

Scar
06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Scary video games are awesome, so I'll probably have to pick this up, though I'm unsure whether or not I'd be able to finish it if it really was scary. I never could finish my GameCube copy of Resident Evil, because I was just too frightened. It's a lot easier to progress in a horror story when you're not the one deciding to go down that dark, spooky corridor and can merely say to the character "Don't go down there, idiot! There's zombers!"

I didn't find the Resident Evil video games all that scary (fun, yes), while Fatal Frame II felt like I was right in the middle of a good Asian horror flick. I dare you to play it at night, with the lights turned off, and the sound turned up.....

Saya
06-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I though both series were very creepy in different ways. Fatal Frame a bit more scary I guess, because of the camera and those ghosts could move through walls and other objects. To me Resident Evil 1 and the REmake were the only scary RE games. The other ones had to much action and not enough of the horror vibe, but still excellent games though.

megladon8
06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Another fantastic horror game is "Call of Cthulhu: The Dark Corners of the Earth" for the original X-Box.

Man, that has some disturbing imagery.

It's especially effective if you're at all familiar with Lovecraft's work.

It's probably the best representation of Lovecraft outside of his actual writings.

Skitch
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Jess doesn't like watching me play Blazing Angels 'cause I get a little too into it....

:lol:

:)

My roommate was about to throw up, watching me play it on my 52". I told him spinning was a good trick. :lol: I was completely unfazed. DIE NAZI SCUM!

bac0n
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
in RE4, there was that part in the dungeon that had me on edge the first time I played it through. Never played Fatal Frame, tho. Spun_Lepton let me borrow it once, but I never bothered to pop it in the ol' PS2.

Scar
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
in RE4, there was that part in the dungeon that had me on edge the first time I played it through. Never played Fatal Frame, tho. Spun_Lepton let me borrow it once, but I never bothered to pop it in the ol' PS2.

Steroid Wolverine?

Ezee E
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I've never even heard of Fatal Frame?

What is it and what platforms is it for?

bac0n
06-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Steroid Wolverine?

That guy was spooky, but I was thinking of the part where...you had to go into the damp and musty dungeon area with those invisible bugs that could pop out of nowhere. come to think of it, the part where...I was playing as the girl and had to avoid the monks and later on the suits of armor that came alive ...was pretty spooky too.

Saya
06-05-2008, 08:14 PM

It's a adventure survival horror game with a lot of puzzle / exploration elements to it. You usually have to solve some kind of mystery. You have a special camera which allows you to "attack" the ghosts, but you can't just shoot them though. You have to build up enough power first and make sure the ghosts are close enough to actually trap them in the camera. There are also a bunch of different ghosts that can be either hostile or friendly.

Like Scar mentioned, it can be a creepy game when played in the right setting.:)

The first 3 games were on PS2 and this one is developed and probably exclusive to the Wii because it's also published by Nintendo.

Saya
06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
you had to go into the damp and musty dungeon area with those invisible bugs that could pop out of nowhere.

Haha, I remember how I played that dungeon area the first time. I moved so slow and kept hugging the walls with Leon so that no enemies could jump me from behind.

I actually thought you meant that boss fight in the tunnels at first. I think that boss was called The Right Hand or something. He was one of the little guy's bodyguards and also turned invisible. That part creeped me out because he would disappear and slash you at random times through the ceiling or something.

Rowland
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I played the first hour of Fatal Frame II, scared the shit out of me. I should give it another shot...

Anybody play the DS game Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime? I'm thinking about picking it up.

Skitch
06-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Ashley.

LEON!

Ivan Drago
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
The only two scary games I've played are Silent Hill 2 and Siren. The former was fun. Not so much the other one.

Kurosawa Fan
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Awesome. A scary game for the Wii. I'm all over that.

Rowland
06-05-2008, 11:13 PM
The only two scary games I've played are Silent Hill 2 and Siren. The former was fun. Not so much the other one.Oh shit, Siren was nerve-wracking as hell, and HARD. I never finished that one, and the gameplay design was nearly broken regarding the objectives, forcing you to play through the same levels again and again... bah.

number8
06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I beat Fatal Frame 2 in one night, playing through it alone with all the lights off. I'm pretty sure I died of a heart attack twice that night and the PS2 controller defibrillated me back to life.

KK2.0
06-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Never played RE1 which most people seem to agree it's the scariest of them all, the others always felt more action oriented, love the series though. The Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games on the other hand, scared me seriously, however, while playing FF3 i thought it lost most of it's freshness, maybe the wii is the right place to inject some novelty to the franchise.

speaking about resident evil, the fifth game seems to be coming along nicely
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34718.html

no albino midgets this time capcom

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM

You've never heard of it because it sucks. You get a camera instead of a gun and walk around taking pictures of shit. I'd rather yield a colt python and take out some zombies personally.

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Never played RE1 which most people seem to agree it's the scariest of them all, the others always felt more action oriented, love the series though. The Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games on the other hand, scared me seriously, however, while playing FF3 i thought it lost most of it's freshness, maybe the wii is the right place to inject some novelty to the franchise.

speaking about resident evil, the fifth game seems to be coming along nicely
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34718.html

no albino midgets this time capcom

I'd have to agree that RE1 is the scariest and best. If you can get past the badly translated dialog and terrible voice acting, it was ground breaking, eerie, dark, and had stuff no one has seen before. All the rest of the resident evil's don't really stray off from the main gameplay element, with the exception of RE4 maybe.... but you still need to find cranks, and keys, and medallions, even tho the style of gameplay has changed. With the introduction of the hunters, i found RE1 to be quite scary. The puzzles were great too. RE2 is a close second place, because there are four different ways to beat the game and even more side quests at the end... Trunk and Tofu are fun as hell. Survivor and Dead Aim are the worst REs.

Scar
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
You've never heard of it because it sucks. You get a camera instead of a gun and walk around taking pictures of shit. I'd rather yield a colt python and take out some zombies personally.

:|

Rowland
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
How about the Clock Tower series, anybody play those? I've only played the third, which wasn't particularly scary, especially as it grew progressively silly in the second half, but I had a decent time with it.

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM

Just my opinion. I played FF2 after 8 told me to about four years ago. I wasn't impressed.

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Scariest games I've ever played:

1. F.E.A.R.
2. Resident Evil: Directors Cut
3. Silent Hill
3. Condemned: Criminal Orgin
4. Doom 3
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Dino Crisis
7. Condemned 2: Bloodshot.
8. Sildent Hill 2
9. External Darkness
10. Fatal Frame

number8
06-06-2008, 06:05 PM
That "you get a camera instead of a gun" diss is fucking idiotic. I've heard it for years now everytime Fatal Frame comes up and it bugs the piss out of me. For one, it has jackshit to do with being scary, seeing how ghosts are not scarier when you can hit them with bullets. And two, what the fuck is the difference if it's a camera or a gun? Same mechanic. You equip, point, aim, press a trigger. Snap, the target gets hurts. "Oooh, it's a magical magicy little camera and not a badass Desert Eagle that takes our goddamn head off. It ain't cool." Are gamers so stereotypical that they dismiss a game because you dun gett 2 blow dar shitz up? Seriously.

Scar
06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
That "you get a camera instead of a gun" diss is fucking idiotic. I've heard it for years now everytime Fatal Frame comes up and it bugs the piss out of me. For one, it has jackshit to do with being scary, seeing how ghosts are not scarier when you can hit them with bullets. And two, what the fuck is the difference if it's a camera or a gun? Same mechanic. You equip, point, aim, press a trigger. Snap, the target gets hurts. "Oooh, it's a magical magicy little camera and not a badass Desert Eagle that takes our goddamn head off. It ain't cool." Are gamers so stereotypical that they dismiss a game because you dun gett 2 blow dar shitz up? Seriously.

Damn. That might be too long to fit in my signature.

Saya
06-06-2008, 06:39 PM
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ninja-gaiden-2-small.jpg

Picked up NG2 today. I've only played the first two chapters so far, but it's awesome. Super fast ninja action. Lot's of blood, combos and weapons. I highly recommend setting the spoken language to Japanese(+ English subtitles) in the options menu, because the English voice acting is really bad. The Japanese voices fit the characters better. There is some screentearing and slowdown during intense battles but that doesn't really bother me.

Dukefrukem
06-06-2008, 08:10 PM

:lol: We've had this conversation before. So i don't like something you do. deal with it.

Ezee E
06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
That's why videogames won't be changing.

bac0n
06-06-2008, 09:22 PM
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ninja-gaiden-2-small.jpg

Picked up NG2 today. I've only played the first two chapters so far, but it's awesome. Super fast ninja action. Lot's of blood, combos and weapons. I highly recommend setting the spoken language to Japanese(+ English subtitles) in the options menu, because the English voice acting is really bad. The Japanese voices fit the characters better. There is some screentearing and slowdown during intense battles but that doesn't really bother me.

Damn, that looks pretty sweet. Do you need to have played the first one to understand what's going on?

Scar
06-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Damn, that looks pretty sweet. Do you need to have played the first one to understand what's going on?

Don't try playing the first one sick or after a few beers. It just don't work.

Stay Puft
06-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Picked up NG2 today.

Ditto. Came home to find my basement flooded, however. Won't be getting to it today.

megladon8
06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I've wanted to try the "Ninja Gaiden" games for a while, but their legendary frustrating difficulty level has me nervous...

Rowland
06-06-2008, 10:58 PM
The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES is still the shit. I actually finished the damn thing too.

Skitch
06-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Don't try playing the first one sick or after a few beers. It just don't work.

True. It might actually help to be coked out of your mind though.

Skitch
06-07-2008, 12:54 AM
The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES is still the shit. I actually finished the damn thing too.

The original Ninja Gaidens are the fucking shit...true that.

Sycophant
06-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm a few years late to the party, but I just started playing killer7 today. I was all hyped up for it once upon a time but it came out right when video games and I had a great falling out. However! Video games and I are on better terms these days, and I've been trying to round out my Wii library, which of course means I bought Suda51's No More Heroes. But I decided that I wanted to get the same first taste of his cel-shaded mania that everyone else did (or should have), and hunted down a copy of killer7. I've played the first chapter-and-a-half, and I am loving it. The control mechanic took some getting used to initially, but it soon became as natural as traditional shooter controls. It's marvelously designed, the plot is morbidly insane and stunningly told. And the first boss fight was badfuckingass. If the next however many chapters go like these, I'm not going to be disappointed.

trotchky
06-07-2008, 02:15 AM
Ninja Gaiden 2 would be the best game on the Xbox 360 if Rez HD wasn't.

Saya
06-07-2008, 08:41 AM

Nope, you can just jump in the second game. The story is truly terrible in these games. I'm at the third chapter now and have no idea what the hell is going on. :lol:

I've wanted to try the "Ninja Gaiden" games for a while, but their legendary frustrating difficulty level has me nervous...

The games are only really frustatingly hard on the higher difficulties. I think the default difficulties (easy + normal) are very doable. Plus there are save points everywhere, so that's convenient too.

Stay Puft
06-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, the difficulty of Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) is overstated. It can certainly be challenging on the default setting, but I suspect most people are simply not acclimated to the kind of action game it offers. The enemies are aggressive and want very much to kill you. You must have a good defensive game. Remember to block and dodge! You are a ninja, after all. Then you will succeed.

number8
06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm a few years late to the party, but I just started playing killer7 today. I was all hyped up for it once upon a time but it came out right when video games and I had a great falling out. However! Video games and I are on better terms these days, and I've been trying to round out my Wii library, which of course means I bought Suda51's No More Heroes. But I decided that I wanted to get the same first taste of his cel-shaded mania that everyone else did (or should have), and hunted down a copy of killer7. I've played the first chapter-and-a-half, and I am loving it. The control mechanic took some getting used to initially, but it soon became as natural as traditional shooter controls. It's marvelously designed, the plot is morbidly insane and stunningly told. And the first boss fight was badfuckingass. If the next however many chapters go like these, I'm not going to be disappointed.

Speaking of cel-shaded game, ever tried XIII? I enjoyed it more than killer7. Had a Goldeneye feel to it.

Dukefrukem
06-08-2008, 01:18 AM
XIII is awesome. I also love that David Duchovney voices XIII.

Skitch
06-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I too, quite enjoyed XIII. Great soundtrack.

Sycophant
06-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Speaking of cel-shaded game, ever tried XIII? I enjoyed it more than killer7. Had a Goldeneye feel to it.Yeah, I have that one, but only played the first few levels and then didn't touch it for a few years (largely because, as happened with every game I was playing at the time, a friend came over and beat it on my Gamecube and I lost interested). It also was pretty difficult. Perhaps when I play through everything I've got on my slate (Okami, No More Heroes, and RE4 are after this), I'll go back and try to beat it.

While I did like XIII, I never enjoyed it as much as I'm currently enjoying killer7. It's pretty much what I want video games to be (though scanning for Smiles is a little obnoxious, but I've adapted to it).

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 02:03 AM
There is going to be a game called Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ. Yes, there is.

trotchky
06-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Ninja Gaiden 2 would be the best game on the Xbox 360 if Rez HD wasn't.

Uhh...sike!

Dead & Messed Up
06-10-2008, 04:59 AM
My brother and I co-owned a SNES when we were younger, and during my last visit, I brought it back home with me, along with our thirty or so games. Among the highlights:

The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Blackthorne
All three Donkey Kong Country games
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy III
Mario Kart
Mortal Kombat II
NBA Jam
Super Metroid
TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
Yoshi's Island

Each cartridge is jam-packed with beautiful, beautiful nostalgia. Thankfully, most of the games are damn good too. Oh, glorious SNES, you shall never be forgotten.

http://www.wikicheats.com/images/9/9d/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_S ystem.jpg

megladon8
06-10-2008, 05:44 AM
New "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows" screens...

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1302/vulza8.th.jpg (http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vulza8.jpg)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9238/bsmmr2.th.jpg (http://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bsmmr2.jpg)

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9333/bsm1gr8.th.jpg (http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bsm1gr8.jpg)

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6955/sm1xx6.th.jpg (http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sm1xx6.jpg)

Dukefrukem
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
wow...

megladon8
06-10-2008, 05:52 PM
So I tried the "Ninja Gaiden II" demo last night. And yeah, it's pretty sweet.

Sycophant
06-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin was supposed to be a fun little diversion for a couple minutes at a time, but I accidentally sank three hours into one mission last night. I love this game, but I'm not very good at it.

Stay Puft
06-10-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm playing it now and just finished the third chapter, in which I had to fight this giant, floating, metallic... fish... face... electricity... thing. And it shoots its face at me.

I love this game. Ridiculous and way over the top.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2008, 07:02 PM

I can't get into it. :(

origami_mustache
06-11-2008, 02:29 AM
I was going to start playing Final Fantasy XII again on my PS3 today...only to discover that the 40 GB model is not backwards compatible.

:frustrated::frustrated::frust rated:

Winston*
06-11-2008, 02:36 AM
I was going to start playing Final Fantasy XII again on my PS3 today...only to discover that the 40 GB model is not backwards compatible.

:frustrated::frustrated::frust rated:
Man, I was disappointed by this Final Fantasy. Started off pretty well, then went to blah.

I rented this game Psychonauts for the PS2. It's pretty neat so far.

Sycophant
06-11-2008, 02:38 AM

:frustrated::frustrated::frust rated:That's ridonkulous.

origami_mustache
06-11-2008, 03:55 AM
That's ridonkulous.

pretty much...I sent Sony a semi angry, yet cordial email...just doesn't make sense that the 40gb model would be the only one without backwards compatibility.

Saya
06-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Only the PS3 80GB version has backwards compatibility right? All these different units are really a bit confusing for the customers.

Saya
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Just finished my first ever run of Ninja Gaiden II on Warrior difficulty using just the Dragon Sword. :lol:

I'm gonna do a scythe run next I think, but probably not on Mentor difficulty. That's still a bit too hard I think.

Dukefrukem
06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Only the PS3 80GB version has backwards compatibility right? All these different units are really a bit confusing for the customers.

The 60 and 40GB ones have BC too, but they are both discontinued. I have the 60GB one.

KK2.0
06-11-2008, 03:39 PM
i've found the civilization revolution demo to be quite fun and i'm not into these strategy games much. what a surprise.

borrowed Uncharted from a friend and i'm loving it, i've heard it's quite short but if it keeps this pace i think i'll buy it just for the collection.

The 60 and 40GB ones have BC too, but they are both discontinued. I have the 60GB one.

only the 60 GB unit was discontinued and it was backwards compatible, i've managed to find one.

I agree that all these versions are a bit confusing, but it was well advertised that the 40GB had that feature removed. Some research would've spared the frustration.

KK2.0
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Scariest games I've ever played:

1. F.E.A.R.
2. Resident Evil: Directors Cut
3. Silent Hill
3. Condemned: Criminal Orgin
4. Doom 3
5. Resident Evil 2
6. Dino Crisis
7. Condemned 2: Bloodshot.
8. Sildent Hill 2
9. External Darkness
10. Fatal Frame

I've just remembered that the original Alien Vs Predator game almost gave me multiple heart attacks, playing the Marine game of course. Crossing those silent, dark space stations alone was chilling enough, suddenly the bip of the radar increased announcing that was something moving in the vicinity, the aliens was so fast and deadly that the game's difficulty was steep but despite the frustration it was one of the most atmospheric and tense experiences i've had, i don't know how well it aged. The Alien and Predator parts weren't as good though.

Ezee E
06-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I've just remembered that the original Alien Vs Predator game almost gave me multiple heart attacks, playing the Marine game of course. Crossing those silent, dark space stations alone was chilling enough, suddenly the bip of the radar increased announcing that was something moving in the vicinity, the aliens was so fast and deadly that the game's difficulty was steep but despite the frustration it was one of the most atmospheric and tense experiences i've had, i don't know how well it aged. The Alien and Predator parts weren't as good though.
The Alien parts were never fun unfortunately.

I still don't think they've made the ultimate AvP game.

Ivan Drago
06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I thought PS3 doesn't have backward compatibility?

Sycophant
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought PS3 doesn't have backward compatibility?
Some models do!

Scar
06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Some models do!

Mine sure does. I've got the larger of the two models that was first available.

Dukefrukem
06-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Holy shit you're right. That needs to be on the top 10 list somewhere.

megladon8
06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
There's something totally euphoric about driving through Star Junction in a Banshee, going 130 and shooting people out the window, while ELO's "Evil Woman" plays on the radio.

Ezee E
06-11-2008, 11:21 PM
The Onion has a good headline this week about the poor work of Liberty City PD, and how 10% of its entire population was murdered.

origami_mustache
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree that all these versions are a bit confusing, but it was well advertised that the 40GB had that feature removed. Some research would've spared the frustration.

Eh, don't really care that much and it wouldn't have been worth the money for the 80gb model just for bc...only had the one PS2 game I really wanted to play...I was just really in the mood to play it yesterday...guess I could resort to emulators, but I think I'm pretty much over it already. haha

Dukefrukem
06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
The Onion has a good headline this week about the poor work of Liberty City PD, and how 10% of its entire population was murdered.

I still need to complete GTA, but I'm gonna find that hard to do when MGS4 comes out today. :eek:

bac0n
06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
So, a coworker of mine just said that the XBox360 is gonna see a price drop in the US to about $200 within a month. Has anybody else heard of this news?

Ezee E
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
So, a coworker of mine just said that the XBox360 is gonna see a price drop in the US to about $200 within a month. Has anybody else heard of this news?
No, but I certainly want to hear if it's true.

Sycophant
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I've heard the speculation, but that's all I've heard: speculation. But if it's true, I'm on board. The 360 is getting a ridiculous amount of awesome JRPGs that I simply must play (Tales of Versperia FTW!).

Milky Joe
06-12-2008, 05:10 PM
ugh I want a ps3 like, now

Dukefrukem
06-12-2008, 05:18 PM
just picked up my copy of MGS4!!!!!!!!!!!

Milky Joe
06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
just picked up my copy of MGS4!!!!!!!!!!!

my froth for this game could be mistaken for rabies

Morris Schæffer
06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Just finished GTA IV. Eh, that's it?! Pretty boring finale. Mind, I'm only at 64%. So can I complete the remaining 36%? And are they genuine missions or just shooting flying rats and competing in races?

Sycophant
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM
I think I'm about 40% through killer7. I'm ready to swear right now that I will play any game that Suda51 designs forever. When this is done, it's comforting to know that No More Heroes is already waiting for me.

Saya
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Just finished GTA IV. Eh, that's it?! Pretty boring finale. Mind, I'm only at 64%. So can I complete the remaining 36%? And are they genuine missions or just shooting flying rats and competing in races?

Have you done the 20 Vigilante Missions (Steal cop car -> access computer -> Most Wanted)? You could do those if you haven't already. I thought they were some of the best missions in the game, because they are not scripted. You are free to chose how you want to approach each mission.

Morris Schæffer
06-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Have you done the 20 Vigilante Missions (Steal cop car -> access computer -> Most Wanted)? You could do those if you haven't already. I thought they were some of the best missions in the game, because they are not scripted. You are free to chose how you want to approach each mission.

Nope. I'll get on that. Thanks!

Saya
06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Nope. I'll get on that. Thanks!

Oops, there are 30 missions instead of 20 (10 on each island). :)

Also, if you've won all the races on all the islands, Brucie will introduce you to Stevie. Stevie will sent you pictures of 30 cars (1 at a time) that he wants you to find and steal for him. Of course this is entirely optional, but I thought this was a nice relaxing activity to do in between other stuff.

megladon8
06-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Has anyone tried "The Bourne Conspiracy" yet?

I downloaded the demo the other day and it was surprisingly fun. The combat is simplistic, but challenging and very satisfying. Especially the takedown moves.

Lasse
06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
My favorite band, D-A-D, just off-the-record confirmed that three of their old songs Sleeping My Day Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdDrDa9PGJg), Bad Craziness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37vdDwxkOFs) and possibly Laugh 'n' a ½ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kbghzr725I) will be in the next Guitar Hero game.

Activision hasn't confirmed anything, but says that it's "fairly likely". :pritch:

If that is true, I will own that game and a Playstation 3 on the day it is released.

If only they had chosen
Everything Glows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElZw8SOkrg) or Lawrence of Suburbia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n_HZnJNvX8) instead. Oh well...

Dukefrukem
06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
MGS4 is the best game i've ever played... peroid.

megladon8
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I enjoyed some of the first MGS, but they're way too cinematic for me.

I want to actually play a game's story, make choices for myself, be involved in the world.

These games are the other way around, where you are one of the characters and the story is being told atyou.

I can see why it's appealing, it's just not my bag.

KK2.0
06-13-2008, 09:18 PM
just like me Meg, but the hype surrounding 4th is so overwhelming i'm actually eager to try it.

i think i'll wait for some of my friends to finish it and borrow it. MGS3 rests in my collection barely played... =/ luckily, it was a bargain.

Milky Joe
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I enjoyed some of the first MGS, but they're way too cinematic for me.

I want to actually play a game's story, make choices for myself, be involved in the world.

Obviously you never played MGS3! And I've heard MGS4 is even more sandbox-ish than Snake Eater was. The replay value (or the sheer number of options or ways to play the game) in these games is immense.

bac0n
06-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Obviously you never played MGS3! And I've heard MGS4 is even more sandbox-ish than Snake Eater was. The replay value (or the sheer number of options or ways to play the game) in these games is immense.

Hopefully, MGS3 was better than MGS2. MGS2 was pretty underwhelming for me.

KK2.0
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Reviews say MGS4 is not gonna change your opinion about the series overload of cinematics, however this version seems to offer improvements in all areas, not only in it's approach to design, with more freedom to deal with situations, but also revamped AI, controls, and more seamless transitions between cinemas and gameplay.

I enjoyed reading that this one takes Kojima's ambitions and visions much farther, and even shows a bit of excess and indulgence which reminded me of film auteurs and their projects and how they reflect their personalities and all.

Maybe this is the generation when games become art... wait! Let's not go there again! :lol:

origami_mustache
06-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Tecmo Super Bowl > Madden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

Morris Schæffer
06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Oops, there are 30 missions instead of 20 (10 on each island). :)

Also, if you've won all the races on all the islands, Brucie will introduce you to Stevie. Stevie will sent you pictures of 30 cars (1 at a time) that he wants you to find and steal for him. Of course this is entirely optional, but I thought this was a nice relaxing activity to do in between other stuff.

I tracked down about 10 criminals, but my completion rate of 64.17% remains unaltered. Is that normal? It was fun by the way.:)

Saya
06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I tracked down about 10 criminals, but my completion rate of 64.17% remains unaltered. Is that normal? It was fun by the way.:)

Haha, I'm not sure how much percentage those mission count for, but here is a checklist so you see for yourself what needs to be done to get 100%. :)

http://www.thegtaplace.com/gta4/checklist.php

KK2.0
06-14-2008, 07:28 PM
A friend of mine it's playing MGS4 and never played any of the previous Playstation 1 and 2 titles, still, he said is the best game on PS3 easily, including GTA4.

my curiosity is killing me. :frustrated:

Dukefrukem
06-14-2008, 08:28 PM
A friend of mine it's playing MGS4 and never played any of the previous Playstation 1 and 2 titles, still, he said is the best game on PS3 easily, including GTA4.

my curiosity is killing me. :frustrated:

Hideo Kojima is a legendary storyteller....

Sycophant
06-15-2008, 03:53 AM
I kind of can't believe I just paid $40 for a used copy of MGS for the Gamecube, but I've finally decided that I need to know what the hell this series is all about.

origami_mustache
06-15-2008, 04:07 AM
probably going to buy MGS4 this week.

number8
06-15-2008, 04:26 AM
I kind of can't believe I just paid $40 for a used copy of MGS for the Gamecube, but I've finally decided that I need to know what the hell this series is all about.

That's... a really terrible deal.

Sycophant
06-15-2008, 05:05 AM
That's... a really terrible deal.It was the best I could find.

Justin
06-15-2008, 06:01 AM
It was the best I could find.

You could probably get it for computer for like 5 bucks. With VR Missions.

origami_mustache
06-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I would have downloaded an emulator.

Skitch
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
I have that one for Gamecube. It's such a beautiful redoing of the PS version...I wish I was good enough to get past the first hour! I've seen the entire PS version played out by several of my friends, I just SUCK at these games!

I've also decided to pull the Super Nintendo out. I'm super excited to see what it looks like on my 54". :lol:

Milky Joe
06-15-2008, 04:35 PM
MGS on the PSOne > MGS on the gamecube. Those redone Matrix-esque cutscenes really sucked, and the introduction of MGS2 gameplay into the MGS1 world is kind of weird. Also the voice acting isn't as good, even though it's the same actors. Cheaper too. Oh well.

Saya
06-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I haven't played MGS in years, I wonder if it still holds up. Back when it was released I couldn't get enough of it. I'm also interested in MGS4, it's definitely a game that I'll pick up when I get a PS3. However, the one hour long cutscenes in that game kinda put me off. I doubt it can hold my interest for that long.

megladon8
06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Sweet deal!

I got "Condemned" and "Condemned 2" - both brand new - for $50 at GameStop in the Bronx today.

Awesome!!

Sycophant
06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Finished killer7 today. Loved it. My only problems with the game are fairly minor, in that sometimes the Heaven Smiles have a bit too easy a time sneaking up on me. But the game prized story, character, and aesthetics over gameplay and those elements were all excellent (though gameplay wasn't lacking much either). Very, very happy with it and kind of tempted to now jump right into killer8.

trotchky
06-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Hideo Kojima is a legendary storyteller....

I find him to be a pretty terrible storyteller, his dialogue and plotting consistently overblown and hamfisted and his "philosophy" having zero relevance to the real world.

That said, MGS4 is a fantastic game.

Milky Joe
06-16-2008, 04:25 AM
I find him to be a pretty terrible storyteller, his dialogue and plotting consistently overblown and hamfisted and his "philosophy" having zero relevance to the real world.

For what it's worth, I've heard that the English translation is extremely blasé and weak, and that if you play the game in its original language, Kojima's writing (and the voice acting) is much superior.

And from just having seen the trailers and played the other games I can say that I think your second statement is totally false.

trotchky
06-16-2008, 04:59 AM
For what it's worth, I've heard that the English translation is extremely blasé and weak, and that if you play the game in its original language, Kojima's writing (and the voice acting) is much superior.

And from just having seen the trailers and played the other games I can say that I think your second statement is totally false.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing actually, which just makes the English translation all the more unfortunate.

As for my second statement, you might be right. I was mainly reacting to claims that the future "war economy" depicted in MGS4 is somehow prescient or even logical. I'm not that familiar with Kojima's other themes, outside of his deconstruction of videogame tropes in MGS2.

Milky Joe
06-16-2008, 05:09 AM
I don't see how you can claim that the idea of a "war economy" doesn't have any relevance whatsoever to today's world. That's absurd to me. If anything the parallels are too blatantly obvious, but that's Kojima for you.

trotchky
06-16-2008, 05:32 AM
The "war economy" depicted in Metal Gear Solid 4 - one where "nations, ideologies, and ethnicities" are no longer the cause of conflict and war itself is a "well-oiled business transaction" - has no real resemblance to the world we live in.

Milky Joe
06-16-2008, 05:37 AM
No? Okay then.

Dukefrukem
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM

That said, MGS4 is a fantastic game.

Wow really? His game's just stand out over every other game... I absolutely love them. I think the quite opposite of the dialog and i find it quite compelling and interesting... the fight/boss scenes are so unique and out of this world it's scary.

origami_mustache
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Played MGS4 just briefly and it is absolutely beautiful.

KK2.0
06-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Just beat Folklore on the PS3, nice little game, some inspired monsters and bg design, music is often great but unfortunately not very varied, the story is a mixed bag of a whodunit and a war between fantasy creatures. Two characters, Ellen and Keats, are drawn to what looks like a scottish isolated village that happens to be an entrance to another dimension. Someone is killing the people in the real world and while they investigate, travel to this ghostly/mythical realm to ask the dead themselves, not incredibly well told but engaging enough.

Gameplay is a tad repetitive but it has one of the few decent implementations of the sixaxis motion controls i've seen so far at the PS3, it plays as some sort of Pokemon with Tim Burton-esque creatures, each of the characters can capture monsters' souls and use their powers as weapons, there's a large variety of them, some are rare or powerful, or useless. Then you go catching them all, while you solve the mystery, which is more addictive than it sounds.

now to Uncharted

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Sweet deal!

I got "Condemned" and "Condemned 2" - both brand new - for $50 at GameStop in the Bronx today.

Awesome!!

Wow! great deal!

megladon8
06-18-2008, 02:35 AM
Wow! great deal!

Yep!

I was actually saving up my $$$ for "The Incredible Hulk", because I was a huge fan of "Ultimate Destruction" and it looked to be pretty much the same, but with updated graphics.

Unfortunately, reviews are saying the game is a piece of crap, and that anyone who was, like me, led to believe it was like "UD" should steer away.

So, I skipped it and went with the two "Condemned" games.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Yep!

I was actually saving up my $$$ for "The Incredible Hulk", because I was a huge fan of "Ultimate Destruction" and it looked to be pretty much the same, but with updated graphics.

Unfortunately, reviews are saying the game is a piece of crap, and that anyone who was, like me, led to believe it was like "UD" should steer away.

So, I skipped it and went with the two "Condemned" games.

Both Condemned games are fantastic!... the second really takes on it's own style and its much less repetitive. You'll love em.

megladon8
06-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Both Condemned games are fantastic!... the second really takes on it's own style and its much less repetitive. You'll love em.

I think I will.

They look pretty scary. I've been dying for a really scary game on the 360 since I played "BioShock", which had some great creepy moments.

I'm hoping "RE5" also has some scares up its sleeve.

"RE4" was a great action game, and also managed to creep me out more than once.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 02:40 AM
I think I will.

They look pretty scary. I've been dying for a really scary game on the 360 since I played "BioShock", which had some great creepy moments.

I'm hoping "RE5" also has some scares up its sleeve.

"RE4" was a great action game, and also managed to creep me out more than once.

Don't get me started on RE4... i could talk about that game for days. I don't think RE5 will disappointed. It's been pushed back to this fall tho. :(

as for Condemned 2, that's another you gotta finish quickly so we can talk about it. One part scared the living crap outta me. Finish the first one first tho.

megladon8
06-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Don't get me started on RE4... i could talk about that game for days. I don't think RE5 will disappointed. It's been pushed back to this fall tho. :(

as for Condemned 2, that's another you gotta finish quickly so we can talk about it. One part scared the living crap outta me. Finish the first one first tho.

Cool...I'll let you know when I begin playing them.

One thing that has me really anxious to play the 2nd game is the fact that *apparently* the forensics stuff is much more intuitive than the first.

That part of the game really fascinates me.

Skitch
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
I watched Xplay yesterday...I think skipping The Incredible Hulk is the way to go.

Scar
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 showed up in the mail yesterday. Total bill: $15.

I'm a little over an hour into MGS2, now I'll be playing that other character.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
One thing that has me really anxious to play the 2nd game is the fact that *apparently* the forensics stuff is much more intuitive than the first.

This is true. Instead of someone on a radio telling you what to do, you actually have to use your own judgment when you report it... and you have 1-4 options to choose from. You can unlock achievements if you do everything perfectly...

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 showed up in the mail yesterday. Total bill: $15.

I'm a little over an hour into MGS2, now I'll be playing that other character.

Raiden. Yeh, that was a disappointment when you don't play as snake, but it's tied into MGS4 too.

Skitch
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Raiden is a little bitch.

Scar
06-18-2008, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I think thats why I stopped playing it years ago.

Dukefrukem
06-18-2008, 03:26 PM

you say that now... but he's the exact opposite in MGS4...

if you want a spoiler, watch this (a little more than 1/2 way through);

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21612.html

Ezee E
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I never finished MGS 2 because of Raiden.

origami_mustache
06-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I never finished MGS 2 because of Raiden.

the unshocking truth about Raiden's masculinity

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/5X-n8WoRDW4/default.jpg

Saya
06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/xfxmwk.gif

I can't get enough of Ninja Gaiden II. I've done 4 single weapon runs (Dragon Sword, Lunar Staff, Eclipse Scythe and Dual Katanas) in a row and am going for the a flail run now. After I've finished the single weapon runs, I'm gonna try Mentor difficulty. :P

Stay Puft
06-18-2008, 06:08 PM

If you're looking for the Ultimate Destruction sequel, it's here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/prototype/index.html).

Sycophant
06-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Started playing Mega Man ZX Advent last night. Seems pretty alright, but I've never really come to terms with the idea of extensive story sequences in my Mega Man games.

Speaking of Mega Man, did anyone else catch the news that the Australian rating board put up a rating for a Mega Man 9 across multiple platforms? I don't know exactly what this means, but hopefully awesome-beyond-awesome news about this will be awaiting us at E3, or whatrever Capcom is going to use to announce titles this year.

If it's really an old-school style Mega Man game, then that will just about make my year.

megladon8
06-18-2008, 06:56 PM
If you're looking for the Ultimate Destruction sequel, it's here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/prototype/index.html).

Yep, I know about that one.

I'm totally pre-ordering it the second it's available.

Skitch
06-18-2008, 08:28 PM
you say that now... but he's the exact opposite in MGS4...

So I've heard...

Morris Schæffer
06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/xfxmwk.gif

I can't get enough of Ninja Gaiden II. I've done 4 single weapon runs (Dragon Sword, Lunar Staff, Eclipse Scythe and Dual Katanas) in a row and am going for the a flail run now. After I've finished the single weapon runs, I'm gonna try Mentor difficulty. :P

I should try that demo which I downloaded. Nevertheless, chances of me buying the full game are slim. The first one made me scream for my momma far too often. :)

Skitch
06-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Ninja Gaiden is another game that is so bloody hard...I love to watch it, I just suck at it!

Anyway, I got a couple games for 360 today. Project Silpheed for $10, and Madden 07 Hall of Fame Edition for $2.50. :)

Dukefrukem
06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm not a fan of the series.

rocus
06-20-2008, 02:42 AM
\

I'm a little over an hour into MGS2...The good new is, just 45 more minutes until the cut scene is over and you can start playing.

Lego Indiana Jones is actually better than the Star Wars. The puzzles are fun and the game is pretty funny. Plus there is a lot of whip usage.

Ezee E
06-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Lego Batman is going to own.

Skitch
06-20-2008, 11:13 AM
I can't wait to own both of 'em!

Sycophant
06-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Final Fantasy III is Final Fantasy goodness.

Saya
06-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Final Fantasy III is Final Fantasy goodness.

Yep! I liked it and the graphics and music are really excellent, but I found a bit too hard for casual playing. The last dungeon was way too long though and no save points. :(

Sycophant
06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Yep! I liked it and the graphics and music are really excellent, but I found a bit too hard for casual playing. The last dungeon was way too long though and no save points. :(
That's what a friend of mine warned me about. So I've pretty much just spent all my time grinding. Just barely earned the jobs system and already my team is all level 12s.

The way the game plays has me really stoked for Final Fantasy IV next month, and hoping that they actually remake all the 16-bit Final Fantasy games on the DS.

Saya
06-21-2008, 09:37 AM
That's what a friend of mine warned me about. So I've pretty much just spent all my time grinding. Just barely earned the jobs system and already my team is all level 12s.

The way the game plays has me really stoked for Final Fantasy IV next month, and hoping that they actually remake all the 16-bit Final Fantasy games on the DS.

Yeah, grinding is a must for this game, but then again old school J-RPGs don't come more traditional than this. :P

Seeing the way these remakes keep selling, I wouldn't be suprised if Square announces remakes of the other FF's and maybe more Dragon Quest games. It's easy money for them.

Morris Schæffer
06-22-2008, 09:49 AM
For some reason, I started thinking about my Wii and how it is becoming insanely proficient in the area of dust gathering. So then I started to think about what software to get for it and I sort of settled on Metroid Prime: Corruption. God I love the first game, but Echoes I never really gave a chance.

Although I still need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I'm waiting for the Dual Shock 3 to be released in Europe. Should be July.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune I'll probably also squeeze in somewhere.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
For some reason, I started thinking about my Wii and how it is becoming insanely proficient in the area of dust gathering. So then I started to think about what software to get for it and I sort of settled on Metroid Prime: Corruption. God I love the first game, but Echoes I never really gave a chance.

Although I still need to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I'm waiting for the Dual Shock 3 to be released in Europe. Should be July.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune I'll probably also squeeze in somewhere.

All three of those games are AAA titles. Uncharted is an incredible action adventure game that incorporates duck and cover gameplay beautifully. It's so easy to use.

Morris Schæffer
06-22-2008, 03:11 PM
All three of those games are AAA titles. Uncharted is an incredible action adventure game that incorporates duck and cover gameplay beautifully. It's so easy to use.

How is the level design in Uncharted? Would you compare it to the first Tomb Raider with lots of thrilling acrobatics to reach new areas? Perhaps more similar to Metroid Prime with ingenious level design necessitating the use of brain cells to decipher and figure out the environment?

megladon8
06-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Any fan of the "Metroid Prime" series is a friend of mine.

Great purchase, Morris!

Dukefrukem
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
How is the level design in Uncharted? Would you compare it to the first Tomb Raider with lots of thrilling acrobatics to reach new areas? Perhaps more similar to Metroid Prime with ingenious level design necessitating the use of brain cells to decipher and figure out the environment?

Actually, it does a better job than any of the Tomb Raiders (and I've played them all) about creating an acrobatic pathway to your final goal... and Uncharted does a much better job of making it more realistically built into the environment. It's just as linear as any Tomb Raider, and looks much much more beautiful. It has amazing voice acting....

And the best thing about the game for me was the main character Drake, looks, sounds and acts just like Nathan Fillion does. I'm a huge Nathan Fillion fan so it was a lot of fun playing as him. There's also a twist in the game that happens 3/4 of the way through.

Sycophant
06-23-2008, 06:07 PM
As I was looking through reviews, searching for intelligent commentary on the wonderful experience that was The World Ends With You, I found myself a little irritated at the constant repetition of reviewers' claims that this was going to be a hot new franchise for Square Enix. While I actually love it just as much as the best Final Fantasy games, the idea of a sequel leaves me cold. The game itself is a self-contained experience. Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the gameplay mechanics and design philosophy carried into future products, I don't feel that every good game needs to become a new flagship title.

Morris Schæffer
06-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Any fan of the "Metroid Prime" series is a friend of mine.

Great purchase, Morris!

Advanced controls are a bit floaty; Walking in a straight line not so easy. Promising start though. Love the arm movements to click stuff. Brilliant!

megladon8
06-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Is the "Alone in the Dark" guy modelled after Keanu Reeves?

Because damn, those advertisements all over the web keep making me think there's a new movie coming out or something.

KK2.0
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm playing Uncharted and sad it's already coming to an end.

Is the "Alone in the Dark" guy modelled after Keanu Reeves?

dunno, but anyone picked this up?

Sycophant
06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I was getting all kinds of excited for Final Fantasy Tactics A2 just the other day, thinking I might actually splurge and pick it up this week.

Then, Shiva Stella over at Gamespot wrote:

"One of Grimoire's setbacks is the amount of time that it takes to accomplish even the simplest of tasks, with most quests lasting 45 minutes to an hour, although there is a handy quicksave feature. Grimoire also sports a steep learning curve for both its combat and micromanagement elements, and is a bit slow to pick up because you spend the first 10 to 20 hours mastering basic abilities, unlocking classes, and gathering equipment to play the jobs that you want."
That's why I never finished the first Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Beautiful game but it just took too damn long to do anything. If I need some FF strategy, I'll be going for Revenant Wings.

EyesWideOpen
06-24-2008, 04:10 AM

I have at the top of my gamefly queue.

Dead & Messed Up
06-24-2008, 05:10 AM

Prime, like Super Metroid, was arguably the best game for its console. I will say that Echoes had a somewhat blah "dark world," but the different zones and increased focus on cinemas, along with the still-excellent gameplay, made it a great sequel - just not as great (and ball-blastingly original) as Prime.

I need to get a Wii, if only to be Prime, Echoes, and Corruption. I've heard the Wii remote is damn near perfect for the game.

I've been playing A Link to the Past lately, and I don't remember it being this easy. Not that I'm upset or anything. It's refreshing to play an adventure game from Nintendo that doesn't make me feel like a total moron.

Dukefrukem
06-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Yeh i played it and beat it. It's about 7-9 hours of gameplay if i remember correctly.

In comparison, it took me 22 to finish MGS4.

Saya
06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh man, something is up at Blizzard. There is a countdown to something on their sites. Will they finally announce Diablo 3? We'll find out in a couple days. :)

Dukefrukem
06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
My bet is it's diablo 3

origami_mustache
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
WoW for iphone

Saya
06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
The guys at DiabloII.net think it's Diablo3 as well.

http://www.diabloii.net/n/667423/diablo-3-announcement-at-wwi

With this week's speculation over the Blizzard teasers, more and more reports in the media, and numerous tips coming direct us at IncGamers from reliable inside industry sources in the past 24 hours, we now have confirmation from inside sources to say that Diablo 3 WILL be announced on Saturday at WWI Paris 2008.

It's about time! (if it's true...) :P

megladon8
06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Damn...it's too bad that "Alone in the Dark" apparently sucks. Hard.

I was looking forward to this one.

Sycophant
06-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Damn...it's too bad that "Alone in the Dark" apparently sucks. Hard.

I was looking forward to this one.I think I'm still going to give it a spin--probably in the form of a rental or at a budget price down the line. Allegedly, the Wii controls work surprisingly well, and I'm intrigued enough to give it a go.

Saya
06-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4)

The review is pretty much spoiler free and I think kinda tame for his doing.

EyesWideOpen
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
I think I'm still going to give it a spin--probably in the form of a rental or at a budget price down the line. Allegedly, the Wii controls work surprisingly well, and I'm intrigued enough to give it a go.

yeah my copy from gamefly is coming tomorrow. i like to play the games i'm interested in and make my own decisions instead of letting reviews influence me.

Sycophant
06-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Yesterday, I was reminded of the fact that many years ago, I had designed Darkwing Duck RPG for the OHRRPGCE. I was surprised to find I still had a copy with me. Yeah, it sucks.

But lately, I've been thinking about getting back into video game design, which is what I spent most of my teenage years doing and haven't touched in about five or six years. Right now, I'm really obsessed with the idea of implementing game mechanics based on characters' interactions with their environments and emotionally and morally challenging narratives. I've got some real ideas that I think I need to refine and see if I can find someone to work with on them.

Dukefrukem
06-26-2008, 02:50 AM
Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4)

The review is pretty much spoiler free and I think kinda tame for his doing.

that guy is a writing genius

Milky Joe
06-26-2008, 04:16 AM
That's a pretty horrible review. It's amazing that people are still complaining about the same things after 10 years. Wah-wah, long cutscenes, with every single Metal Gear Solid game. You'd think they would have known by now that this would be the case, and that they don't have to play it if they don't want to, or they could skip them if they want to. What did people expect? And to say that the game is meaningless and doesn't say anything is just dumb. And wrong.

megladon8
06-26-2008, 04:26 AM
That's a pretty horrible review. It's amazing that people are still complaining about the same things after 10 years. Wah-wah, long cutscenes, with every single Metal Gear Solid game. You'd think they would have known by now that this would be the case, and that they don't have to play it if they don't want to, or they could skip them if they want to. What did people expect? And to say that the game is meaningless and doesn't say anything is just dumb. And wrong.

Obviously you've never watched any "Zero Punctuation" before.

He only gives games bad reviews. It's his schtick.

Don't take it so personally :P

Milky Joe
06-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Yeah, eh.:| What I said is still true. Consider it my own rant on those people.

monolith94
06-26-2008, 05:19 AM
He had to sit through the cut-scenes as a working critic, I imagine. And he criticizes far more than just the cut-scenes, taking the game to task for its lack of real stealth as well. I haven't played the game so I don't really know, but that review hardly struck me as poor.

number8
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Everytime I see a commercial for MGS4, it always makes me chuckle how dead serious the narrator sounds when talking about how terrible the future is because was itself had become an international business... and humanity's only hope is an old soldier shooting the fucking shit out of these warmongers.

Sycophant
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Holy shit (http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12136).

Classic (8-bit-style!) Mega Man 9 is coming for Wii Ware, as confimed in Nintendo Power. This is amazing and kind of bizarre news, but I couldn't be happier. Apparently, it's going to be very difficult (like Mega Man 2 difficult), too.

Awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

megladon8
06-26-2008, 07:24 PM
"Mega Man" is such an awesome series.

I remember having my SNES and the first two "Mega Man X" games, and that was like heaven.

Saya
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Classic (8-bit-style!) Mega Man 9 is coming for Wii Ware, as confimed in Nintendo Power. This is amazing and kind of bizarre news, but I couldn't be happier. Apparently, it's going to be very difficult (like Mega Man 2 difficult), too.

:pritch:

Yes! Great news! Now we just need some kind of storage solution for the Wii.

Milky Joe
06-26-2008, 07:36 PM
*kisses his Wii*

megladon8
06-26-2008, 07:42 PM
*kisses his Wii*

That's one of those phrases that is only acceptable now that Nintendo has a system called the "Wii".

bac0n
06-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Mega Man 2 is my favorite NES game ever by no small margin.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
so it looks like that Blizzarad annocument is going to be WoW related...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.wowinsider.com/media/2008/06/20_overlay_hi-res.jpg
http://www.howarddigitalmedia.com/blogimages/wrath-art-arthas.jpg

monolith94
06-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I thought that the general consensus, duke, was a new Diablo game.

number8
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Sure looks like Diablo to me. An ice Diablo.

Saya
06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
The thing is, this countdown could have nothing to do with the announcement of the new game this weekend. It might just be something WoW related or Starcraft. But we do know that a new game will be announced. That is confirmed by the Game Design Vice President of Blizzard.

I've bought Diablo II + expansion again today just to play the games again. I think this is the third time I've bought both games. If anyone wants to play some Diablo let me know! I have to start from level 1 though. :)

Dukefrukem
06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
The thing is, this countdown could have nothing to do with the announcement of the new game this weekend. It might just be something WoW related or Starcraft. But we do know that a new game will be announced. That is confirmed by the Game Design Vice President of Blizzard.

I've bought Diablo II + expansion again today just to play the games again. I think this is the third time I've bought both games. If anyone wants to play some Diablo let me know! I have to start from level 1 though. :)

I'll start up with you!

Dukefrukem
06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
oh btw, maybe it is diablo (again)

look at this image enhancement ... sure does look like protoss to me...

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5615/ice5aoverlayni4.jpg

monolith94
06-27-2008, 08:10 PM
But Protoss wouldn't match with that guy with the big honkin' sword. Maybe it's a starcraft vs. warcraft rts? Haha.

Saya
06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I'll start up with you!

Ok, I've made an account on US EAST, played a bit and really have to get used to the controls again haha. I think I'll play again later tonight. I'll post the room name and pass here when I do or if you're playing I'll join your game. (I'm only level 8 at the moment though).

monolith94
06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
For some reason, I didn't enjoy playing Diablo 2. I didn't like it as much, I preferred the old character classes, and the graphics were less moody and atmospheric in my opinion. My initial impressions pretty much prevented me from playing through the whole game, but I'd still be up for a number 3.

Saya
06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Hmm, yeah the game definitely has the gothic horror vibe going on and the characters are a bit moody. I thought the classes were kinda neat though. Maybe you should give it a try again in anticipation of Diablo 3, because the new update on the Blizzard page has gone up. It looks like it's Diablo 3! It's definitely not Arthas anymore. :pritch:

http://i31.tinypic.com/30sx8us.jpg

Saya
06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Sweet, the Blizzard event today is streamed live! It starts in a couple minutes.

Saya
06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
It is announced Diablo 3!!! Trailer was amazing, now gameplay movies!

Saya
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/ixt4c6.jpg

Saya
06-28-2008, 10:41 AM
They've introduced a new class, the Witch-Doctor. Looks amazing. The boss they showed was like 10 times the size of Diablo. :pritch:

No releasedate though. 2010 I guess.

Saya
06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/rit7a8.gif

Saya
06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Site is online:

http://eu.blizzard.com/diablo3/

:pritch:

EyesWideOpen
06-28-2008, 01:46 PM
So Alone in the Dark does indeed suck. I can't remember playing a more frustrating game which rely's almost solely on trial and error and instant deaths.

megladon8
06-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Blizzard has always done the best cutscenes...

Morris Schæffer
06-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm so so so glad I gave my Wii another chance and opted for Metroid Prime Corruption. What an experience!

Sycophant
06-28-2008, 03:51 PM
So Alone in the Dark does indeed suck. I can't remember playing a more frustrating game which rely's almost solely on trial and error and instant deaths.Oh, man. That's like Hugo's House of Horror all over again. What a throwback!

Which system are you playing it on?

Also, allegedly Final Fantasy III is really hard (and admittedly, one boss killed me a couple times before I figured out his elemental weakness), but my team is composed of such amazing badasses that I barely notice it. Which isn't to say it isn't fun. No, it's very fun.

EyesWideOpen
06-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Oh, man. That's like Hugo's House of Horror all over again. What a throwback!

Which system are you playing it on?

Also, allegedly Final Fantasy III is really hard (and admittedly, one boss killed me a couple times before I figured out his elemental weakness), but my team is composed of such amazing badasses that I barely notice it. Which isn't to say it isn't fun. No, it's very fun.

I played it on the 360.

Watashi
06-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Goodbye life.

Hello Diablo III.

Fezzik
06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Goodbye life.

Hello Diablo III.

Three words: Wall. of. Zombies.

[/asplode]

Rowland
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
I think I'm going to finally take the plunge and purchase a Wii, single-handedly reviving the US economy with my stimulus money as an added bonus. Are these things still hard to come by?

origami_mustache
06-29-2008, 02:57 AM

what the heck I should have bought a wii...ugh that is so cool

Milky Joe
06-29-2008, 03:18 AM
I think I'm going to finally take the plunge and purchase a Wii, single-handedly reviving the US economy with my stimulus money as an added bonus. Are these things still hard to come by?

Good for you. They shouldn't be hard to find at this point. I recommend Kororinpa and Super Mario Galaxy.

Morris Schæffer
06-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Get Cooking Mama for sure!:P;)

number8
06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I just got Wii Fit!

Saya
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
So the Blizzard online store is pretty cool. If you've already bought Blizzard games in the past and still have the cd-key, you can add the cd-keys to your account and it will show up as games you've bought on your account. So there's no more need to use the install discs, because you can just download the games again. You can even install the games on different pc's, but you have to use the same account though.

They've just added the Diablo games.

Saya
06-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Get Cooking Mama for sure!:P;)

And Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and Zack & Wiki. :)

monolith94
06-29-2008, 10:51 PM
So the Blizzard online store is pretty cool. If you've already bought Blizzard games in the past and still have the cd-key, you can add the cd-keys to your account and it will show up as games you've bought on your account. So there's no more need to use the install discs, because you can just download the games again. You can even install the games on different pc's, but you have to use the same account though.

They've just added the Diablo games.
Coincidentally, I just re-installed Diablo on my pc upstairs. Fun game. Some annoyances though, like the dialogue system and the aimless walking around.

Saya
06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Coincidentally, I just re-installed Diablo on my pc upstairs. Fun game. Some annoyances though, like the dialogue system and the aimless walking around.

Diablo 1?

I've been playing 2 a lot lately and really liked the dialogues of the characters and how the story unfolds. It's still one of the better voice acted games around after all these years. I also like how dark and tormented the characters are in the game and how the cutscenes between the acts tell the parallel story to you as the player. I forgot about how good the dark and evil atmosphere was. And the music...wow...the Tristram theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM) still holds up.

Dukefrukem
06-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Blizzard has always done the best cutscenes...

so true

bac0n
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM

I've actually started seeing these things being sold at CostCo, bundled up with an extra controller, Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play, all for US $350.

monolith94
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Diablo 1?

I've been playing 2 a lot lately and really liked the dialogues of the characters and how the story unfolds. It's still one of the better voice acted games around after all these years. I also like how dark and tormented the characters are in the game and how the cutscenes between the acts tell the parallel story to you as the player. I forgot about how good the dark and evil atmosphere was. And the music...wow...the Tristram theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGTUz4OnzdM) still holds up.
Yeah, number 1. The most annoying thing about it is annoying goat archers who walk away when you try to approach them. Now that there's distance, I can see the flaws of the game, but it is still a heck of alot of fun. I don't have Diablo 2 anymore. Lost it.

Sycophant
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Tycho posted something on the Penny Arcade blog today I really liked.

I have a habit which enrages Gabriel, though it may sometimes be of service to you, and so I retain it. It is my goal to play a game until I discover its thesis. I'm dishing up a sentence like that because he is gone, and thus unable to leer at me over his monitor for talkin' fancy. Let me explain what I mean, because it's not as smart as it sounds.

Essentially, I want to know a game's intention. That intention is surprisingly close to the surface in games most people consider to be of high quality, and so I don't need to play them very long to discern it. I will still finish games that I have come to understand, but a large part of my enjoyment is bound up in this interpretive process.

I'd played enough of Alone in the Dark last week to know their ambition was incredible, but that the execution of their vision was bottled up by imperfect technology. This happens a lot, and we must weep for each one as proponents of the form, but once an arc is established in a piece of retail entertainment software it's usually not difficult to calculate its trajectory. Right? But I can't be sure.

That is what makes my cohort angry: it's not really that I have a high-minded justification for play, because I have a high minded justification for everything. No, it's that I get trapped by bad games so long that I start to believe they're actually good. He thinks I have some videogame variant on Stockholm Syndrome.

But a game like Alone in the Dark is precisely why I have this policy: so that I can tell you with full knowledge, yes, I know what you have read. You may even have read it here. You have heard about control oddities and weird glitches. It may be that you have come to believe you can skip the game without ill effects. And you're wrong.

We must to endure this conversation over and over as adherents of the medium, this "innovations versus gimmicks" thing. The truth of this is very straightforward, actually. Innovations are just gimmicks you happen to like. And Alone in the Dark is almost nothing but innovations, from beginning to end, gameplay innovations, cinematic innovations, inventory innovations, you name it, and I mean innovations according to Noah Webster as opposed to GameFAQS. That they took an old workhorse like Alone in the Dark and set it to this task is a nice bit of nostalgia. That they turned Survival Horror on its head is something they won't be given credit for until ten years from now, for its audacity and its vision, when all the cool kids retroactively decide that they really liked it.

EyesWideOpen
07-01-2008, 02:31 AM
I love Penny Arcade but that is complete nonsense. Alone in the Dark's controls are considered a "gameplay innovation"? The inventory system is an innovation? I'd like someone else who's played the game to let me know if they thought either of these things were innovative. "Turning survival horror on it's head"? It's almost like this is a joke post.

Sycophant
07-01-2008, 05:14 AM
what the heck I should have bought a wii...ugh that is so coolNot to discourage anyone from buying a Wii or anything ('cause they're awesome), but it's been confirmed Mega Man 9 is coming to XBL and PSN as well as WiiWare.

origami_mustache
07-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Not to discourage anyone from buying a Wii or anything ('cause they're awesome), but it's been confirmed Mega Man 9 is coming to XBL and PSN as well as WiiWare.

woohoooo

Saya
07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
Not to discourage anyone from buying a Wii or anything ('cause they're awesome), but it's been confirmed Mega Man 9 is coming to XBL and PSN as well as WiiWare.

That was just a rumor. It's confirmed by Capcom that it is Wiiware exclusive (for now, I think it will be released on XBLA / PSN in time).

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn

Capcom pinged us to let us know that the game is currently slated "for WiiWare only" and that the information data indicating otherwise in the E3 roster was a mistake on its part.

Saya
07-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Apparently Chrono Trigger is getting a DS remake!!! :pritch:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ctds/

Saya
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Press release

CHRONO TRIGGER Returns! The Timeless Classic Teleports to Nintendo DS This Holiday Season

Journey Through Time with the RPG Masterpiece that Started It All

LOS ANGELES, July 2 -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER® in North America this Holiday season. Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS(TM), this marks the first time that the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

Originally released in 1995 on Super NES® and shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER has been hailed as one of the greatest games of all time by critics and fans alike. With a unique and multifaceted storyline, the game revolutionized the world of RPGs with never-before-seen features, including an unprecedented soundtrack and multiple endings determined by side quests and the player's actions.

With artwork by famed manga artist Akira Toriyama and an unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda, CHRONO TRIGGER represents the best-in-class of the video game world. This newly revamped edition maintains all of the game's original elements and spirit while introducing the portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality of Nintendo DS. Players will soon be able to rediscover the exhilarating RPG experience, breathtaking storyline and innovative gameplay in the palm of their hands.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono's race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

-- A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time

-- An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda

-- Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills

-- Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world

-- Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality

-- A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

Next up: Secret of Mana remake? :P

Dukefrukem
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Chrono Trigger was epic... am i gonna hafta buy a DS for this game????

Sycophant
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
I've been wanting to play this game for such a long time, since a lot of my friends are in love with it. And it's coming a lot sooner than I would have expected.

Square just keeps trying so hard to make me happy.

Sycophant
07-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I love Penny Arcade but that is complete nonsense. Alone in the Dark's controls are considered a "gameplay innovation"? The inventory system is an innovation? I'd like someone else who's played the game to let me know if they thought either of these things were innovative. "Turning survival horror on it's head"? It's almost like this is a joke post.
I need to play the game to find out how I feel about it, but I'm more responding to Tycho's general attitude here. He's approaching games in a way that says "Let's not be dismissive of games just because they average 4-7.5 scores," something sadly missing from most gaming press. He sees things with a different perspective, approaching in a way more akin to film criticism than traditional games criticism, which tends to treat video games more like cars than a potentially viable art form.

Saya
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I've been wanting to play this game for such a long time, since a lot of my friends are in love with it. And it's coming a lot sooner than I would have expected.

Square just keeps trying so hard to make me happy.

I think it's excellent that Square is releasing their best game again and that a lot of people will have the opportunity to try it out. It's probably the best JRPG i've played. Chrono Trigger was the first game I've imported because it wasn't released in Europe. I still can't believe they never did that. :)

The DS is fast becoming the number one RPG system around. Maybe it will even overtake the PS2.

Sycophant
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Seems like people are always bitching about Square being on the remake train, but I think it's great.

For one, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Citizen Kane and Gone With the Wind to always be available on the latest viewing format. The fact that I can't get a 13-year-old game unless I'm willing to pay top dollar for a used copy (the revenue of which won't be seen by the creators) for a system whose functioning units are dying by the day is silly. So bring the good games back over and over again.

Second, it's not like it's hurting Square's internal productivity. If anything, it gives Square more capital to develop new properties.

number8
07-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah, what's the big deal? Releasing great classics on next-gen is a win-win for everybody.

Skitch
07-02-2008, 11:22 PM
No shit. I can't wait for a re-release of FFVII for PS3.

*DROOOL*

Oh, and Gears of War finally obtained.

Sycophant
07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I want a FFVII remake for the DS before I want one for a current-gen console.

EyesWideOpen
07-03-2008, 04:15 AM
I need to play the game to find out how I feel about it, but I'm more responding to Tycho's general attitude here. He's approaching games in a way that says "Let's not be dismissive of games just because they average 4-7.5 scores," something sadly missing from most gaming press. He sees things with a different perspective, approaching in a way more akin to film criticism than traditional games criticism, which tends to treat video games more like cars than a potentially viable art form.

Well I agree with that. That's why when meg said Alone in the Dark sucked because the reviews said it sucked, I mentioned that I'll play it and find out for myself.

Dead & Messed Up
07-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Question!

If I haven't played a SNES Final Fantasy game before, which one should I start out with? II or III?

megladon8
07-03-2008, 04:49 AM
I would love to have FFVII re-released on X-Box LiVE.

I never got into it when I had it for my PSX. I'd give it another shot.

Saya
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Question!

If I haven't played a SNES Final Fantasy game before, which one should I start out with? II or III?

I haven't played II but I'll say that III is one of the hardest J-RPG's around. It might not be the best point to jump in this franchise.

If you have part IV go with that one. It's more accessible.

Lucky
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I haven't played II but I'll say that III is one of the hardest J-RPG's around. It might not be the best point to jump in this franchise.

If you have part IV go with that one. It's more accessible.

I'm pretty sure he's talking in terms of American numbers if he's talking about SNES. FFII in America was FFV in Japan and FFIII was FFVI. Play III/VI, it's the best Final Fantasy game in the series.

Sycophant
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking in terms of American numbers if he's talking about SNES. FFII in America was FFV in Japan and FFIII was FFVI. Play III/VI, it's the best Final Fantasy game in the series.BUZZ! FFII in America was FFIV in Japan. FFV wasn't released here until the PSX release a few years back. All 3 Super Famicom Final Fantasy games were released on the Game Boy Advance. The only one I've played through all the way from that generation has been FFVI (FFIII on the slightly neutered American SNES version), but it's my favorite in the series thus far. Widely respected as one of the greatest RPGs ever made, alongside Chrono Trigger, and I'm inclined to agree.

D_Davis
07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I've bee playing a ton of WoW lately.

Got a lvl 24 Gnome Warrior, and just started an Undead Rogue last night.

Great game, I now understand why 800 billion people play it. I also like how it runs on my low end laptop - it's the best portable game I've ever played!

:)

And, in light of the best video game news to ever get announced, I started a new Pali in Diablo 2.

I've come to realize that all I really need is Blizzard and Valve. No matter how many great games there are, I always end up coming back to Diablo and Half Life.

Played some Boom Blocks on the Wii. Easily the best game I've played on the system. If only they could all be this good and take this much advantage of the new control scheme - it doesn't just feel like a Gamecube game with a gimmick. It actually feels like a new kind of game. Kudos to Spielberg and Co., they've actually outdone Nintendo on their own console. Brilliant move. I can't wait to see what else they do. Too bad sales have been pretty mediocre for it. Figures though.

Saya
07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
This is getting confusing! Ok, so if FF IV = FF II in America, then he should definitely start with that one. :lol:

Sycophant
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Welcome back, D! :pritch:

Saya
07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Welcome back Daniel :)

I've bee playing a ton of WoW lately.

Got a lvl 24 Gnome Warrior, and just started an Undead Rogue last night.

Great game, I now understand why 800 billion people play it. I also like how it runs on my low end laptop - it's the best portable game I've ever played!

Level 24? Then you're probably in the Wetlands? :P

I love WoW and it's really more than just a glorified chatroom like some people say it is. Doing instances with a group of nice people is one of the best things around. It's just so much fun. I quit about a year ago and deleted all my characters. I had seen it all and had enough of it, but now that the new expansion is coming, I kinda feel like playing again haha. There are some really cool new additions coming.

And, in light of the best video game news to ever get announced, I started a new Pali in Diablo 2.

Are you playing online? I just started Diablo 2 again as well. I'm on the US east server, I've made a ladder character (level 28 barbarian at the moment).

D_Davis
07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Welcome back Daniel :)

Level 24? Then you're probably in the Wetlands? :P

Are you playing online? I just started Diablo 2 again as well. I'm on the US east server, I've made a ladder character (level 28 barbarian at the moment).

Thanks.

I am doing quests in the Wetlands and the Red Hills regions, and I've recently done my first instances with Deadmines and the Stockades, and some other one on another continent that I don't remember. It was some underwater temple, it was really cool.

WoW is pretty amazing. The world is so expansive, there is just so much to see and do.

I am not playing D2 online. I've actually never played a Battle Net character.

I also just signed up for Gamefly, the one game/month plan. I so rarely beat games these days so it just seems silly to buy so many. Now I can play games I am marginally interested in - Battlefield Bad Company, Ninja Gaiden II, DMC 4 - without having to shell out so much money.

Saya
07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks.

I am doing quests in the Wetlands and the Red Hills regions, and I've recently done my first instances with Deadmines and the Stockades, and some other one on another continent that I don't remember. It was some underwater temple, it was really cool.

Ah, Blackfathom Deeps? That is a cool one, but too bad it's a little bit out of the way and far to travel to if you don't have a mount. I think you can do the Gnomeregan instance soon too. It's a long one but it's really close to Ironforge and the bosses there drop some nice loot for warriors (if you're lucky :P). There's also a staff that can drop that allows you to breathe underwater. It also has loads of quests and give a great amount of experience and rewards.

Morris Schæffer
07-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Wow, Pure looks amazing!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35713.html

Check the vista at 1:18.

I think those boats are actually moving.

Memo to Polyphony: add some moving stuff to the next Gran Turismo game. I know it's a pure simulation, but please dress it up a little bit.

D_Davis
07-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I love Dennis Dyak, so much.

His latest antics are awesome, and his hour-long treatise on the newest 1Up Yours podcast is gold.

The video game industry needs more people like Dyak.

He's crazy, passionate, outspoken, and just fun to listen to.

bac0n
07-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I remember EA Big put out a game early on in the PS2 cycle, called Freekstyle, which was billed as SSX with motorcycles. Boy, was that game a colossal disappointment. The Pure demo looks pretty cool, but I'm wary.

megladon8
07-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I remember EA Big put out a game early on in the PS2 cycle, called Freekstyle, which was billed as SSX with motorcycles. Boy, was that game a colossal disappointment. The Pure demo looks pretty cool, but I'm wary.

Yeah, I bought Freekstyle for my GC.

One of the most unfair games ever made.