View Full Version : Video Games...Discuss Them

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127

megladon8
11-28-2018, 05:41 PM
Went back a bit to God of War as I felt bad leaving that game hanging and starting up RDR2.

It's a good game, but I miss the epic scale of the previous games. It's a bit samey, with encounters that resemble each other a bit too much. But I'll persevere though. It's too polished and fun to not go on with it.

God of War was good but I have to say it left no lasting impression at all.

I had no desire to explore the world further and find secrets, didn’t replay the campaign, nothing.

When I was done, I was done.

I even traded it in.

Dukefrukem
11-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Oh fuck. Rocksteady's new game may have leaked- and may be officially announced at the Game Awards.

Definitely my #1 anticipated game that I know exists (unofficially).

Ezee E
11-28-2018, 09:45 PM
Oh fuck. Rocksteady's new game may have leaked- and may be officially announced at the Game Awards.

Rumors say Metropolis will be 3x the size of Gotham in the game.

Unsure of how Spider-Man's Manhattan compares.

Scar
11-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Is anyone getting a Playstation Classic? If so, how are you going about getting one?

Not planning on it. No real interest. Get me a copy of Bushido Blade and a case of 40’s, and it’ll be college all over again.

Skitch
11-28-2018, 10:55 PM
Is anyone getting a Playstation Classic? If so, how are you going about getting one?

Nah. Still have my PS1 games and good PS2. I'm good.

Dukefrukem
11-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Rumors say Metropolis will be 3x the size of Gotham in the game.

Unsure of how Spider-Man's Manhattan compares.

Found this video btw... if that's true, the map will be about the size of Oblivion and Far Cry 3.

I've been clamoring over how big Ghost Recon Wildlands was- and I was right that it's one of the biggest maps out there. So impressed with that game.

Super surprised to see how big Far Cry 2 was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRNfORZOxg

megladon8
11-29-2018, 01:59 PM

Agreed.

I hope it isn’t just Arkham with Superman. I’d love some interesting new mechanics that make it uniquely Superman.

Ezee E
11-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Agreed.

I hope it isn’t just Arkham with Superman. I’d love some interesting new mechanics that make it uniquely Superman.

Rumor is there's no Clark Kent involvement, so it sounds exactly like Arkham with Superman.

Apparently both Rocksteady and the Spider-Man makers are eventually doing their own world building, for an eventual Justice League and Avengers game to come out when after the world ends.

Dukefrukem
11-29-2018, 06:09 PM
I'm fine with either. There are sooooo many villains and allies to include in these games.

bac0n
11-29-2018, 07:39 PM
I wonder if they're gonna take inspiration from Man of Steel and allow you to reduce the entire town to a smoldering pile of rubble.

megladon8
11-29-2018, 09:02 PM
I wonder if they're gonna take inspiration from Man of Steel and allow you to reduce the entire town to a smoldering pile of rubble.

Brilliant!

Morris Schæffer
11-30-2018, 10:51 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtM4GM-U4AA-cnK.jpg

Interesting!

bac0n
11-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Fallout 76 interests me not in the slightest, but on a whim I decided to check out a few reviews, and WOW, what a trainwreck that game is turning out to be. IGN gives it a 5/10, and another reviewer is calling it a technical, and moral failure. Looks like Bethesda is even under investigation for deceptive marketing practices.

Yikes - I feel bad for the people who were looking forward to this game.

Scar
11-30-2018, 09:13 PM
Fallout 76 interests me not in the slightest, but on a whim I decided to check out a few reviews, and WOW, what a trainwreck that game is turning out to be. IGN gives it a 5/10, and another reviewer is calling it a technical, and moral failure. Looks like Bethesda is even under investigation for deceptive marketing practices.

Sorry, can't hear you over all the hunting I'm doing in RDR2.

Dukefrukem
11-30-2018, 10:03 PM

I was keeping my eye on it, was less interested when it was announced exclusively on Bethesda's new digital distribution network, and then completely fell disinterested after the videos and reviews came out. It's not a fallout game at all. It's like the developers forgot what made their games so fun...

megladon8
11-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Just got platinum in Spider-Man.

My life has peaked.

megladon8
11-30-2018, 10:47 PM
Rumor is there's no Clark Kent involvement, so it sounds exactly like Arkham with Superman.

Apparently both Rocksteady and the Spider-Man makers are eventually doing their own world building, for an eventual Justice League and Avengers game to come out when after the world ends.

I get that, I mean I hope that it has an indentifiably Superman feel to the world and the gameplay, and doesn’t just feel like they re-skinned Arkham.

For example, I hope the world is very vertical so we can take full advantage of Superman’s flight.

As much as the Superman Returna video game sucked, the feeling of flying straight up until you were almost in space, then rocketing back down towards the ground was something special.

megladon8
11-30-2018, 10:48 PM

I get that, I mean I hope that it has an indentifiably Superman feel to the world and the gameplay, and doesn’t just feel like they re-skinned Arkham.

For example, I hope the world is very vertical so we can take full advantage of Superman’s flight.

As much as the Superman Returna video game sucked, the feeling of flying straight up until you were almost in space, then rocketing back down towards the ground was something special.

Dukefrukem
11-30-2018, 10:54 PM
Just got platinum in Spider-Man.

My life has peaked.

Jealous. I hope to start this on Christmas break.

Skitch
11-30-2018, 11:43 PM

Yep! And the sonic boom when you flew fast enough. It was so fun that I never played the game, just screwed around lol.

Dukefrukem
11-30-2018, 11:54 PM
:(

Ezee E
12-02-2018, 01:38 AM
Full on Justice League then?

Irish
12-04-2018, 02:13 AM
https://i.imgur.com/hDGVmKP.jpg?1

Really enjoying RDR2 on the PS4 :D

Dukefrukem
12-04-2018, 12:51 PM
What is that? Zelda?

megladon8
12-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Yeah looks like Breath of the Wild to me.

Is it awesome, Irish?

Irish
12-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Oh my God, it's fucking amazing! I've loved RPGs and adventure games since I was a kid and BotW is like the perfect combination of the two. All good mechanics, none of the usual open world bullshit. It feels like every hour of play I either grin or gasp at something I see on screen.

It might be novelty because I've never really played a Zelda or Mario game before, but this past week I've been consistently blown away by Nintendo's first party titles. Like, I wanna buy them all. (Smash Bros comes out this week, too, goddammit.)

The downside is that everything on the system is expensive as shit, Nintendo stuff rarely goes on sale, and anytime I read about someone having a good time with Horizon Zero Dawn or God of War, a voice in the back of my head grumbles.

The upside is that I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with videogames.

Dukefrukem
12-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Well.. I all of a sudden just got jealous as shit not playing that game.

Irish
12-04-2018, 07:08 PM
I honestly could babble on about it for a solid 20 minutes straight. So many little micro stories and weird little corners of the world, which is obviously static but seems alive. So many moments that filled me with glee and wonder.

It totally avoids grindy bullshit. There's no XP, no skill trees, no hard leveling system. There are physics based puzzles everywhere to change the pace. Massive exploration. You can switch up your play style at will, from hack n slash in heavy armor to sneaking around getting stealth kills. Or you can fight on horseback, run enemies down and impale them with a spear.

You start the game with nothing but the clothes on your back. Inventory management becomes resource management because you need to forage for mats to make buffs and for new gear, because weapons and shields wear and break over time. (But then there's something deeply satisfying about chucking an old broadsword at an enemy and watching it shatter as it hits them for double damage.)

You can climb on everything from buildings to mountains to giant world bosses. You can paraglide off peaks into the valleys below. Use your shield as a board and surf down grassy hillsides.

Everything is so well thought out that if you can think of a solution to a given problem, you can probably do it.

In 40 hours of play so far, my only nitpick is that the sidequests are a little too FedEx. Like some farmer tells you that his chickens have escaped from their coop and wants you to find them all. Dude, I'm not some rando adventurer here. I'm goddamn Link. Find your own fucking chickens!

Dukefrukem
12-04-2018, 07:58 PM
I'd buy a switch based on that glowing review if I didn't have 423423413412 other games to play on my other platforms. Too much, no time.

megladon8
12-04-2018, 08:13 PM
That does sound freakin awesome, Irish.

I think the last time I felt that kind of wonder and glee with a game was...actually I can’t really remember. Probably Bloodborne.

Irish
12-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I'd buy a switch based on that glowing review if I didn't have 423423413412 other games to play on my other platforms. Too much, no time.

Oh, man, I hear that. I bought the Switch because I thought playing portable with indie games might be more fun for me than the usual AAA stuff. So on Black Friday I spent $100 on smaller titles... and then discovered the Nintendo games are fucking incredible. I've spent so much time playing Breath of the Wild I haven't had a chance to really delve into anything else. (Super Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, etc.)

Meanwhile, over the next month: Super Smash Bros Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe, and Katamari Damacy Reroll will all release. And I still wanna try Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

At this point, I could prolly spend the next 3 months or more exploring everything Zelda has to offer.

I think the last time I felt that kind of wonder and glee with a game was...actually I can’t really remember. Probably Bloodborne.

That's cool though! Bloodborne was on my shortlist of PS4 games to immediately buy. (I still wanna play it but probably never will.)

Dukefrukem
12-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Super Smash Brothers is definitely fun as hell.

Irish
12-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Don't say that, lol. I've never played a Smash Bros game before and the Switch subreddit has been going absolutely nuts counting down the days until Ultimate's release.

I'm trying not to get caught up in the hype and spend more money on a game I won't have time to play! :D

Ezee E
12-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Red Dead Online is kind of weak, but the Single Player gives me the same feelings that Irish has for BoTW. The world is so big and immersive that it's hard for me to put the controller down. After I finish a mission, I'll come across some animal that needs to be hunted, a legendary fish to try and catch, a wanderer with a neat tip... So on.

And I feel like I've only touched 40% of the map.

Milky Joe
12-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Is it news around here that BOTW is That Good? It might be the Game of the Decade. Glad you're enjoying it Irish.

You're gonna love Mario Odyssey, I think. Both it and Zelda are probably the best 3D iterations of either series.

If you want a great and very addictive portable Switch game (that's just as good on a TV), check out Marble It Up!. Then there's Hollow Knight... Captain Toad... Xenoblade... freakin' Celeste, which while not exclusive, just feels better on the Switch. It's really an amazing console, in spite of all the stuff you mention about pricey games.

With VR ramping up, the indie world in full flight, crazy good graphics/framerates, I really don't think it's ever been a better time to be a 'gamer.' You know, if you have the money to afford all this shit. Let me put it this way: there are a bunch more videogames that came out this year that I really want to play than there are movies that came out that I really want to watch.

megladon8
12-05-2018, 02:28 PM
Reading more and more of the stuff coming out about Rockstar’s practices and treatment of their staff makes me less inclined to pick up RDR2.

However it also seems to be very common in the industry, so if I really wanted to “vote with my dollar”, I might as well stop gaming all together.

Dukefrukem
12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
BTW, Epic announcing their own digital distribution store is putting fear into Valve. Epic will also be taking a smaller cut of revenue which will make it more appealing to developers. Steam takes a 33% cut, Epic said they would only be taking a 12% cut.

I think Valve is seeing games like the latest COD, Destiny 2, Fortnite and Fallout 76 go to their own platforms, so Valve is starting to get worried. Maybe they'll actually start developing games again?

Morris Schæffer
12-06-2018, 10:48 AM
Ubisoft announced a new Far Cry. Apocalyptic setting.

https://youtu.be/KKseXjx_668

More to come later today.

Ezee E
12-06-2018, 11:59 AM
And here I thought they were all apocalyptic settings except for the cave man one.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2018, 12:50 PM
And here I thought they were all apocalyptic settings except for the cave man one.

This genre is so beaten to death it's almost approaching zombie game territory.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Ubisoft announced a new Far Cry. Apocalyptic setting.

https://youtu.be/KKseXjx_668

More to come later today.

okay I just watched the trailer and it's brilliant marketing by Ubisoft and I'll explain why.

1. Firstly, this is a giant spoiler for the ending of Far Cry 5 and I'm super interested what this landscape looks like after the ending
2. They know Fallout 76 & Rage 2 are popular IPs and what better way to take away people's attention from those games to launch a technically better, visually better game.
3. Ubisoft is by far the best AAA developer out there at the moment across their entire portfolio. I'm so impressed with the ability they have been able to churn out new IPs, develop sequels, and continue to stay relevant in an increasingly competitive landscape. I'm looking at top tier developers like Bioware, Valve, Bethesda, ID, Infinity Ward, and hell even Blizzard completely be content with their 1 IP (if that) a year.
4. IF they had this planned on their road-map since those other game announcements, that's so looking forward and so radically different than how other AAA developers think that I respect it so much. I'm more interested in this game with that brief teaser than anything else upcoming now.

Morris Schæffer
12-06-2018, 03:28 PM
So today is when they'll announce a new Alien game. Stoked!

Ezee E
12-06-2018, 04:59 PM
This genre is so beaten to death it's almost approaching zombie game territory.

There's so many Far Crys that I wonder if they all feel the same? I haven't played one since the jungle one.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
There's so many Far Crys that I wonder if they all feel the same? I haven't played one since the jungle one.

There are two that feel the same, Far Cry 3 and 4.

Far Cry 5 is the best in the franchise IMO.

Far Cry 2 is the worst (takes place in the jungle).

Far Cry 1 is a delightful romp. (also takes place in the jungle)

Far Cry Blood Dragon is fun over the top 80s spin.

Far Cry Primal I never played.

Irish
12-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Ubisoft is by far the best AAA developer

This is true but I also feel like it's an incredibly low bar.

Eg: Bethesda is imploding as we speak and nobody trusts Bioware/EA to make "Anthem" into an actually good game.

Dukefrukem
12-06-2018, 05:47 PM
This is true but I also feel like it's an incredibly low bar.

Eg: Bethesda is imploding as we speak and nobody trusts Bioware/EA to make "Anthem" into an actually good game.

Two great examples.

Then you have Blizzard/Activision chugging along, no ambition to do anything new
Valve is almost not a game developer anymore
Rockstar will continue to do Rockstar things
Bungie will make Destiny forever

I'm super worried about the future of Fallout and Mass Effect.

Irish
12-06-2018, 06:29 PM
meanwhile from the team who made "hotline miami," lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2LRu5AJlk&feature=youtu.be

Dukefrukem
12-06-2018, 06:37 PM
will play!!!!!!! LOVED Hotline Miami

Edit: Just checked- this game is being developed by Gabe Cuzzillo not Dennaton Games.

Same publisher though.

Irish
12-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Two great examples.

Then you have Blizzard/Activision chugging along, no ambition to do anything new
Valve is almost not a game developer anymore
Rockstar will continue to do Rockstar things
Bungie will make Destiny forever

I'm super worried about the future of Fallout and Mass Effect.

I think Blizzard still has some spirit but that spirit is tied to Activision's money grubbing bullshit. I'd be all-in on "Hearthstone," "Overwatch" and vanilla "Warcraft" servers if it didn't mean being nickel and dimed every 30 seconds.

Bungie died post "Halo." Fucking shame. I remember when they were one of the few developers who released on Mac OS back when that platform was obviously dying ("Marathon," "Oni," etc.)

Also, it's hard to believe that "Fallout" is a 20 year old franchise. That blows my mind.

Ezee E
12-06-2018, 07:28 PM
There are two that feel the same, Far Cry 3 and 4.

Far Cry 5 is the best in the franchise IMO.

Far Cry 2 is the worst (takes place in the jungle).

Far Cry 1 is a delightful romp. (also takes place in the jungle)

Far Cry Blood Dragon is fun over the top 80s spin.

Far Cry Primal I never played.

I must've played 2 then. I wanted to try Primal but heard it wasn't very good.

megladon8
12-06-2018, 07:41 PM
I’m really not big on Ubisoft games. All their big franchises seem to feel the same.

I don’t think I could pick a AAA studio that I’d say is doing a good job overall lately. I would have said Bungie but IMO they’ve dropped significantly with Destiny stuff.

Blizzard seems to have now jumped into crap territory as well.

Bethesda isn’t a lost cause because of one failure, but it’s worrisome.

So yeah, maybe Irish is right. Nintendo. Say what you will about their games not being mature enough, or how many more Mario or Smash Bros. games we need, they consistently blow away expectations with both reviewers and gamers.

Irish
12-06-2018, 08:03 PM
I'm a little bit warmer on Ubisoft because they've released new games and decent ports for Switch.

"Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle" is basically "X-Com" with a Nintendo aesthetic. Totally goofy, totally fun. (I didn't think a silly rabbit AI could come up with solid strategy, but I was wrong. It's like getting your ass handed to you by the Trix cereal mascot.) "Rayman Legends" is an older game but it looks and plays beautifully on Nintendo's limited hardware.

I think it's a totally valid criticism to say that Nintendo just releases the same shit every console generation. OTOH, what they're doing this gen with hardware design, portability, motion controls, and gameplay features feels wildly creative and just plain fun. (And luckily, since this stuff is brand new to me, that criticism isn't as meaningful.)

Scar
12-06-2018, 10:21 PM
meanwhile from the team who made "hotline miami," lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2LRu5AJlk&feature=youtu.be

Oh.

My.

God.

Skitch
12-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Oh.

My.

God.

More of this. Less of everything else.

megladon8
12-06-2018, 11:57 PM
Oh my.

Scar
12-07-2018, 12:05 AM
I wandered into a GameStop looking for a copy of Skyward Sword for 'Scarette' Copyright bac0n 2018, and heard the employees talking about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anybody play that?

Irish
12-07-2018, 12:40 AM
I wandered into a GameStop looking for a copy of Skyward Sword for 'Scarette' Copyright bac0n 2018, and heard the employees talking about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anybody play that?

Second hand, but: I've heard nothing but good things. Supposed to be one of the best games on the platform. More story driven than action driven. Top tier voice acting. Not sure about the mechanics. I don't think it's a hack-n-slash or dodge-roll hyper-adrenaline sorta thing. The story is apparently a metaphor for mental illness.

Irish
12-07-2018, 12:42 AM
BTW, Game Awards live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ

Pre-show right now, awards start at 9pm eastern.

I never knew this existed until last week but a buncha YouTubers have been talking about it ... so I guess it's important? :D

ETA: "Dead Cells" / Motion Twin just won Best Action Game ... during the pre-show? lol

...Monster Hunter World wins Best RPG

...Cloud9 wins Best Esports Team

...Overwatch wins Best Esports Game

...This is such a bizarre show I have no idea what's going on

Scar
12-07-2018, 12:56 AM
Second hand, but: I've heard nothing but good things. Supposed to be one of the best games on the platform. More story driven than action driven. Top tier voice acting. Not sure about the mechanics. I don't think it's a hack-n-slash or dodge-roll hyper-adrenaline sorta thing. The story is apparently a metaphor for mental illness.

They also said it was rather unsettling (BONUS), and to make sure to wear surround sound head phones. I asked if a robust 7.1 speaker system would suffice, and they nodded enthusiastically. Creepy voice effects / acting, etc. I think it retails for 30 on PSN, and it just got a physical release, too, since it did so well as a digital only release.

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:01 AM
They also said it was rather unsettling (BONUS), and to make sure to wear surround sound head phones. I asked if a robust 7.1 speaker system would suffice, and they nodded enthusiastically. Creepy voice effects / acting, etc.

No doubt. I think there's a psychological horror element to it, too. Apparently, the heroine is haunted by voices and spirits talking to her as she travels.

Def interested in reading your thoughts if you play it!

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RohG-JzXiM

Coming to Switch 2019?! WTF. It's an exclusive. Never saw that coming.

megladon8
12-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Wow. I need to get a Switch.

bac0n
12-07-2018, 01:24 AM
Whoa. Suddenly my most anticipated game.

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLHk2Eug78

Far Cry New Dawn trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLHk2Eug78

Scar
12-07-2018, 01:36 AM
No doubt. I think there's a psychological horror element to it, too. Apparently, the heroine is haunted by voices and spirits talking to her as she travels.

Def interested in reading your thoughts if you play it!

Might be awhile. Wandered away from RDR2 for no apparent reason, and fired up XCOM2 again. After the elusive Gold Trophy of Champion + Difficulty Ironman mode. Plus, the DLC finally went on sale.

Who knows what might happen after a couple scotches tomorrow night, though.

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2bfrRXFZA

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey from Panache Games. (2019, PC / XBox / PS4)

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH_q0-Rfuag

"Scavengers" teaser. Midwinter Games, maybe 2019?

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOP7xTyUA8

"Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe." Exclusive console content, new endings, etc. (2019, PS4 / XBox One)

Irish
12-07-2018, 01:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vidt_D8oNJU

"Anthem" story trailer. EA/ Bioware. (Yuck.)

Irish
12-07-2018, 02:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

"The Outer Worlds." Obsidian ... the same devs behind the original "Fallout" and "New Vegas." (2019, PS4 / XBox One / PC)

Dead & Messed Up
12-07-2018, 02:46 AM
Just over here hoping for Metroid stuff.

Irish
12-07-2018, 02:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx9hx33aJ8g

"Sayonara: Wild Hearts." I have no idea what this is but I kinda wanna play it.

Irish
12-07-2018, 02:52 AM
Just over here hoping for Metroid stuff.

Yep. This is the most awkwardly produced awards show I've ever seen.

I'm still watching only to see if Nintendo will have more surprise announcements.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1FHsZPmFc

Psychonauts 2!

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3lrXlti-8

Dragon Age teaser from EA / Bioware

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTams2yc0s

Mortal Kombat 11 teaser. 2 minutes and 29 seconds and somehow completely exhausting.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ObI3AWabGM

"Atlas." MMO from the guys who did "Ark: Survival Evolved." Devs claimed on stage that it'll be able to support 40,000 concurrent players.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENEybHRn0o8

"The Last Campfire." Puzzle adventure from Hello Games. Release TBA.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2uAM9ZOUdc

"The Pathless." From the creators of "Abzu." Looks like chick with a bow adventure and stellar art direction. PS4 / PC.

ETA: A surprising number of these announcements feature the Epic Games platform.

Ezee E
12-07-2018, 03:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTams2yc0s

Mortal Kombat 11 teaser. 2 minutes and 29 seconds and somehow completely exhausting.

People still like these?

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW10fP7CkKc

"Stranger Things 3: The Game." Looks a little ... weird? Release TBA but will be on all platforms: PS4, XBox One, Switch, and PC.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:52 AM
So Nintendo announced Joker from "Persona 5" will be part of "Super Smash Bros Ultimate" DLC ... but nothing about "Metroid 4" or the next "Zelda." :/

Anyway, holy shit this was a terrible event. All awards shows are promotional but JFC. This one made it seem handing out the actual awards was the filler and the announcements, trailers, and straight up commercials were the main event.

What a huge waste of time. Why did I watch this. I am never doing this again, lol.

Morris Schæffer
12-07-2018, 11:09 AM
I was hoping for 3 announcements: Alien Blackout, First Metroid Prime 4 footage, and Metroid Prime trilogy for Switch.

Talk about fucking striking out.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Look at Irish picking up the mantel of game show updates while I get old and fall asleep at 9pm.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLHk2Eug78

Far Cry New Dawn trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eLHk2Eug78

I guess I'll play it...

Dukefrukem
12-07-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vidt_D8oNJU

"Anthem" story trailer. EA/ Bioware. (Yuck.)

I got invited to teh Alpha last night. Installed it and promptly fell asleep.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2018, 02:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

"The Outer Worlds." Obsidian ... the same devs behind the original "Fallout" and "New Vegas." (2019, PS4 / XBox One / PC)

I am also interested in this. It’s like Fallout and Mass Effect and Deus Ex had a baby, Thought it still amazes me how unoriginal character design has become in video games. The characters look like Destiny, Anthem and Boderlands combined.

Irish
12-07-2018, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3cRpYGVPsU

Gameplay footage from "The Outer Worlds" (along with some truly inane YouTuber commentary).

It's kinda sorta interesting? But on the whole, I agree with Duke. Everything about this game looks generic as hell'

Irish
12-07-2018, 04:37 PM
BTW, Scar, are you strictly PS4?

"Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice" is part of the XBox Game Pass this month.

Scar
12-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I’m exclusive to PS4, except for an occasional game of Civilization (5?) on the computer.

Irish
12-08-2018, 02:50 AM
I've been playing "Diablo III" portable mode for the last hour. Digging the monk so far. :D

Morris Schæffer
12-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Rockstar wasn't kidding about RDR2's bond with the horse. I had to put mine down, probably didn't help that I gave the thing the name of my dog. That was....tough.

Dead & Messed Up
12-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Friend of mine told me about how Diablo was free to DL on Blizzard's site, so then I checked, and yep, StarCraft (the original / Brood War) was also available to DL for free. So for the past week, I've become obsessed. Liked it in college, but really getting into it right now, practicing with different races, watching competitions online (those Korean players are fucking crazy, to the point their prowess is measured in APM (actions per minute)). And it's as fun a game as ever. The balance between the races has always impressed me, with the all-around Terran, the fast/weak/multitudinous Zerg, and the slow/powerful Protoss.

Milky Joe
12-09-2018, 11:20 PM
I was hoping for 3 announcements: Alien Blackout, First Metroid Prime 4 footage, and Metroid Prime trilogy for Switch.

Talk about fucking striking out.

there's like 50 new and cool and original looking videogames announced and it's a "strikeout" because all you want is a re-release of a 20 year old game and two other games in old series. smdh

megladon8
12-09-2018, 11:25 PM
I found it pretty lacklustre, too.

megladon8
12-11-2018, 02:00 AM
Does anyone here have an Xbox One that they play 360 games on with the backwards compatibility feature?

Just wondering if you still unlock achievements? Or does it just work like an emulator?

Irish
12-11-2018, 02:50 AM
It's a full 360 emulator. You can still unlock achievements. Any 360 achievement counts towards the XBox One leaderboards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8uti3c/do_backwards_compatible_xbox_3 60_games_give/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3rmg1s/achievements_with_backwards_co mpatible_games/

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/backward-compatibility/play-xbox-360-games-on-xbox-one

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-360-gamerscore-now-counts-toward-monthly-xbox-one-leaderboards

(I tried hard to rationalize buying a XBox One X and a 4K TV, but in the end I couldn't do it.)

Stay Puft
12-11-2018, 02:53 AM
You still unlock achievements. All the functionality is intact. The emulator replicates the Xbox 360 at a system level, almost entirely in software. It functionally turns the One into a virtual 360 console. If you want to get technical, Eurogamer has an article on how it all works: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-xbox-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

edit - oops, Irish beat me to the punch while I was reading eurogamer

megladon8
12-11-2018, 02:58 AM
Sweet thanks for the info guys ��

I’ve dug it out and am thinking of digging out my 360 collectibles well.

It seems many of my faves are still not playable, but a good chunk of my collection works.

Irish
12-11-2018, 03:12 AM
I've been playing "Diablo III" portable mode for the last hour. Digging the monk so far. :D

To catch up: I'm finding DIII highly polished and playable and ... fun, I guess? But off the mark from the original game and the sequel. Waaaay off the mark.

Years ago, I played a Diablo knockoff on the original iPad over a long weekend and I hate to say ... DIII feels a lot like it. Almost exactly. So at this point I really don't understand the folks at Blizzcon beefing about Diablo Immortal.

Also, after years of playing WoW, it's weird to see how much Blizz plagiarizes from itself. Barbarians in DIII are a straight rip from Fury Warriors in WoW. And I guess now there's Demon Hunters in WoW now, too? Ugh.

(And it's not a fair comparison, but this experience has been a HUGE step down from Breath of the Wild. Good God. But still ... fun, I guess?)

megladon8
12-11-2018, 04:34 AM
I agree! I had fun with Diablo 3 while I played it, but it doesn’t feel like the first or second at all.

Don’t think I could pick between 1 and 2 for a favorite. Both are super nostalgic favorites for me.

Stay Puft
12-11-2018, 09:27 PM
I played Diablo III when it first launched, with the real money auction house. I wasn't sure if it was the time gap, my getting older/changing, or the game really just being that much of a mess, but I didn't like it at all. I've heard the game has been polished and rebalanced a lot since launch, and apparently the action controls for the console versions are really good. So if you're playing it now and finding problems with it, imagine the state this was in a few years ago.

The thing I found most baffling was the compression used for the FMVs. These are always one of the most celebrated parts of Blizzard's games, the CGI videos from their amazing cinematics team, but the compression on the videos in D3 was ghastly, completely marred by awful artificats, to the point it looked like old SD video from a beat up VHS tape or something. The lack of care evident in this game, in all facets, when it launched blew my mind.

I beat the game, tossed the disc somewhere in my room and never played it again. I think I ended up giving it to my roommate.

Dukefrukem
12-11-2018, 09:31 PM
I also played at launch with real money auction house. Made a lot of money off that game actually to the point where the game paid for itself.

Dukefrukem
12-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooool

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3538194/vanishing-ethan-carter-devs-talk-medieval-shooter-witchfire/

Milky Joe
12-15-2018, 04:55 AM
Anybody have PSVR around here? it's awesome. Wipeout VR is awesome. Sprint Vector is awesome. Racket Fury is awesome. Knockout League is awesome. Hello actual exercise, I have not seen you in years - is awesome. Tetris Effect is really awesome. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is GOTY for me and gave me a feeling I probably haven't had since I laid eyes on Super Mario 64 for the first time. love this thing. recommended.

megladon8
12-15-2018, 11:38 AM
I’m interested but I’ve read it kind of sucks on regular PS4 (that you need a Pro to really get the experience that’s intended).

So instead of a $500 investment it’s a $1000 investment, and I really can’t afford that.

Milky Joe
12-15-2018, 07:27 PM
that's uh, not really true. I have a regular PS4 and it's still great.

there's a lot of logistical hassles, like needing enough space to move around, dealing with various cords and hogging USB ports, putting the camera in the right spot (and certain games like it in different places so I find myself having to move it around), keeping the lenses clean (comes w/ a microfiber cloth which I use A LOT)... but once you figure it all out, it's not that big of a deal.

if you pick your spots (xmas deals, for instance) you can get an Astro Bot bundle for $250.

megladon8
12-16-2018, 12:08 AM
that's uh, not really true. I have a regular PS4 and it's still great.

there's a lot of logistical hassles, like needing enough space to move around, dealing with various cords and hogging USB ports, putting the camera in the right spot (and certain games like it in different places so I find myself having to move it around), keeping the lenses clean (comes w/ a microfiber cloth which I use A LOT)... but once you figure it all out, it's not that big of a deal.

if you pick your spots (xmas deals, for instance) you can get an Astro Bot bundle for $250.

Cool thanks for the info! Maybe the stuff I was reading was just trying to sell Pros ;)

When you say space to move around, are you more or less standing in place and moving / turning? I’m just trying to think of where I’d be able to set it up.

Scar
12-17-2018, 02:02 AM
Entering the final mission on XCOM2 on my Commander+ Ironman run. The amount of hours I have invested in this game would make Duke blush.

megladon8
12-17-2018, 02:50 AM
That’s freaking awesome. Love when a game grabs me like that.

Milky Joe
12-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Cool thanks for the info! Maybe the stuff I was reading was just trying to sell Pros ;)

When you say space to move around, are you more or less standing in place and moving / turning? I’m just trying to think of where I’d be able to set it up.

For the most part yeah that's it. But there's a tendency to drift if you're really getting into it. A game like Knockout League will have you dodging and weaving all over the place, and Sprint Vector has you flailing your arms around a lot and you can get turned around pretty easily. I would check out some YouTubes of people playing to get an idea. With Astro Bot, I sit in a chair, but you are looking all around you and will be leaning way forward or straight down or up, etc, but not standing.

Here, you can actually get one for $200 now: https://www.gamesradar.com/psvr-deals-are-back-get-a-headset-moss-and-astro-bot-for-dollar199/

Scar
12-17-2018, 10:03 PM
That’s freaking awesome. Love when a game grabs me like that.

SUCCESS! On the the third and final avatar, I did a borderline suicide push towards him. After the first hit, he teleported next to one of my rangers, who happened to have a Superior Repeater (15% chance to flat out kill on a successful hit) equipped to his Shard Gun. Moved to point blank to take a shot, hopping the Avatar would then teleport within range of another soldier.

Didnt need to worry ‘bout that. ‘Ol Ranger executed his ass. Helluva time for that repeater to work!

bac0n
12-17-2018, 10:13 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!

Dukefrukem
12-17-2018, 10:27 PM
Entering the final mission on XCOM2 on my Commander+ Ironman run. The amount of hours I have invested in this game would make Duke blush.

And once you're done, you are moving onto?....

Scar
12-17-2018, 10:40 PM
And once you're done, you are moving onto?....

Either the XCOM2 expansion which finally went on sale a couple weeks back, or back to RDR2.

megladon8
12-18-2018, 03:23 AM
For the most part yeah that's it. But there's a tendency to drift if you're really getting into it. A game like Knockout League will have you dodging and weaving all over the place, and Sprint Vector has you flailing your arms around a lot and you can get turned around pretty easily. I would check out some YouTubes of people playing to get an idea. With Astro Bot, I sit in a chair, but you are looking all around you and will be leaning way forward or straight down or up, etc, but not standing.

Here, you can actually get one for $200 now: https://www.gamesradar.com/psvr-deals-are-back-get-a-headset-moss-and-astro-bot-for-dollar199/

I’m in Canada, but thanks!

megladon8
12-18-2018, 03:23 AM
SUCCESS! On the the third and final avatar, I did a borderline suicide push towards him. After the first hit, he teleported next to one of my rangers, who happened to have a Superior Repeater (15% chance to flat out kill on a successful hit) equipped to his Shard Gun. Moved to point blank to take a shot, hopping the Avatar would then teleport within range of another soldier.

Didnt need to worry ‘bout that. ‘Ol Ranger executed his ass. Helluva time for that repeater to work!

That’s epic.

That game is great for moments like that.

Dukefrukem
12-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Holy shit. Doom is awesome.

Irish
12-18-2018, 08:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiU2lRt1byw

Ashen is out for PC and XBox. This review makes the mechanics sound like a combo of Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls. Anybody playing?

Irish
12-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Also, Duke, your DOOM comments are killing me. KILLING ME!!!

Skitch
12-18-2018, 10:29 PM
Holy shit. Doom is awesome.

I've been watching you play....

Irish
12-18-2018, 10:32 PM
I've been watching you play....

Wait, what? Duke streams???

Skitch
12-18-2018, 10:35 PM
Wait, what? Duke streams???

He does!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dukefrukem/featured

Hmm, he must've deleted the Doom streams.

Irish
12-18-2018, 10:35 PM
He does!

Publicly? Because I would TOTALLY watch that.

Somebody link me up!

Milky Joe
12-18-2018, 10:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3yZzhhnS8

Dukefrukem
12-18-2018, 10:56 PM
He does!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Dukefrukem/featured

Hmm, he must've deleted the Doom streams.

Nah they are private until I make them public so I can edit them down.

I just made them public.

Skitch
12-18-2018, 10:56 PM
Publicly? Because I would TOTALLY watch that.

Somebody link me up!

I was too slow with the edit there.

Skitch
12-18-2018, 11:12 PM
Wait there it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6wwRbmMeU0

Skitch
12-18-2018, 11:13 PM

I just made them public.

Gotcha

Irish
12-18-2018, 11:34 PM

I just made them public.

Fucking cooooooool. Subscribed.

eta: omg you have farcry vids. :D

Dukefrukem
12-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Fucking cooooooool. Subscribed.

eta: omg you have farcry vids. :D

Thanks!

haha yeh I just played through FC5, 4, Primal, and the first game. Thinking about doing FC2 but probably not at the moment.

Dukefrukem
12-19-2018, 12:18 AM
Gotcha

How's the quality btw? I've been adjusting my settings ever since going to a 21:9 aspect ratio and I still need to tweak it.

Irish
12-19-2018, 12:41 AM
LIVE STEAM!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeT4aOqCb20

eta: but my god why are you playing BF5

Skitch
12-19-2018, 12:49 AM
How's the quality btw? I've been adjusting my settings ever since going to a 21:9 aspect ratio and I still need to tweak it.

For the Doom stream I just watched normal youtube size. It was fine. Next time I catch you streaming I will do full check of theater mode, full screen, everything, and report.

Ezee E
12-19-2018, 02:12 AM

What's wrong with Battlefield

Dukefrukem
12-19-2018, 02:37 AM

Lol. I had to. It's filler until Division 2 in March.

Irish
12-19-2018, 02:58 AM
What's wrong with Battlefield

It's EA doing the absolute bare minimum year after year and charging full price to it.

Ezee E
12-19-2018, 04:56 AM
What kind of beard and hair are y'all rocking in RDR2?

Dukefrukem
12-19-2018, 12:12 PM
It's EA doing the absolute bare minimum year after year and charging full price to it.

33% off FTW!

Skitch
12-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Duke live stream looks great in all forms.

Dukefrukem
12-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Duke live stream looks great in all forms.

Thats good to hear! Youtube keeps telling me i need to adjust. I'll continue to tweak. Let me know if you see any differences.

Irish
12-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Duke, did you know there's a secret message (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY&feature=youtu.be&t=2640) encoded into DOOM's music? :D

Dukefrukem
12-20-2018, 06:52 PM
I did not. BUt that doesn't surprise me with the hidden messages in the original game. Very cool. I may strem tonight if BFV contiunues to not work.

StuSmallz
12-25-2018, 05:10 AM
https://youtu.be/AiwlH2JXUAU

megladon8
12-26-2018, 03:41 PM
My first foray into Xbox One’s backwards compatibility is Halo: Reach, which I haven’t played since I lived in NYC (nearly 10 years ago).

Glad to report it holds up beautifully despite dated visuals.

Really wish they would give it the MCC treatment and upgrade it to 60FPS / 1080P

Dukefrukem
12-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Playstation Classic is $60

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Classic-Console/dp/B07HHVF2XG/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1545836553&sr=1-3&keywords=playstation+classic

megladon8
12-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Knew I was getting Amazon gift cards for Christmas and decided I’d put them towards PSVR.

It sold out last night, right after I got the cards ��

Milky Joe
12-29-2018, 12:00 AM
Knew I was getting Amazon gift cards for Christmas and decided I’d put them towards PSVR.

It sold out last night, right after I got the cards ��

That sucks. I hope you can find a good deal elsewhere. I just finished Astro Bot last night - what an absolute joy.

megladon8
12-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Ordered it last night with Astro Bot!

Milky Joe
12-30-2018, 04:34 AM
Nice. Here's a list of games to check out:

Active games (will wear you out):
Sprint Vector
Beat Saber
Knockout League
Racket Fury (this is THE great ping pong game, less active than the others)
Others:
Wipeout VR
Tetris Effect
Superhot VR
Thumper
Polybius
Ultrawings
I Expect You to Die
Until Dawn:Rush of Blood
RE7
The Persistence

Dukefrukem
12-30-2018, 02:20 PM
10 years ago, I made one of my first videos on youtube. Before HD. Before streming. It's weird to look back on these moments from what feels like so long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNIffr8BZpI&t=54s

megladon8
12-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Nice. Here's a list of games to check out:

Active games (will wear you out):
Sprint Vector
Beat Saber
Knockout League
Racket Fury (this is THE great ping pong game, less active than the others)
Others:
Wipeout VR
Tetris Effect
Superhot VR
Thumper
Polybius
Ultrawings
I Expect You to Die
Until Dawn:Rush of Blood
RE7
The Persistence

Thank you very much!

I am going to get Tetris Effect for sure.

I can’t afford the move controllers ATM so I’m looking at games that play with the DualShock.

Ezee E
12-30-2018, 04:00 PM
There hasn't really been a "team game" like L4D for quite a while, if not since that game.

Milky Joe
12-30-2018, 06:37 PM
Thank you very much!

I am going to get Tetris Effect for sure.

I can’t afford the move controllers ATM so I’m looking at games that play with the DualShock.

Def go for Wipeout then. It's a blast. The Persistence and RE7 use the DS I think and people love those - I haven't tried them personally as I'm not that into horror.

Milky Joe
12-30-2018, 06:38 PM
There hasn't really been a "team game" like L4D for quite a while, if not since that game.

Warhammer Vermintide 2 is basically L4D with swords and magic. Looks really great:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

megladon8
12-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Def go for Wipeout then. It's a blast. The Persistence and RE7 use the DS I think and people love those - I haven't tried them personally as I'm not that into horror.

Do they just use them or do they require them?

I did a bit of reading last night and it sounded like most PSVR games are an either/or situation and the number that actually require Move are very few, and I don’t remember seeing those on the list.

Milky Joe
12-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Do they just use them or do they require them?

I did a bit of reading last night and it sounded like most PSVR games are an either/or situation and the number that actually require Move are very few, and I don’t remember seeing those on the list.

Honestly couldn't say off the top of my head. If you haven't been there already r/psvr on Reddit is a good active community, I'm sure there are a ton of threads of people asking these questions.

Games on the list I made which I can say for sure require the Moves are Sprint Vector, Knockout League, Superhot VR, Racket Fury, Beat Saber.

Ezee E
12-31-2018, 01:19 AM
Warhammer Vermintide 2 is basically L4D with swords and magic. Looks really great:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

Looks great. Just came out on PS4. I'll have to look that up. Thanks.

megladon8
12-31-2018, 02:35 AM
Killing Floor 2 is basically L4D as well.

Irish
01-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Nintendo has had 3 major sales since I bought the Switch and now again I am buying games I won't have time to play. (Bought Hollow Knight and haven't even opened it, getting Splatoon 2, Arms, and Namco Musuem today.)

Btw, anybody here play Warframe?

megladon8
01-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Nintendo has had 3 major sales since I bought the Switch and now again I am buying games I won't have time to play. (Bought Hollow Knight and haven't even opened it, getting Splatoon 2, Arms, and Namco Musuem today.)

Btw, anybody here play Warframe?

Warframe is fun.

I played it way back at launch, when I had better internet and could play online stuff.

I think it has changed a lot since then, but I imagine it’s all for the better.

Dukefrukem
01-03-2019, 06:25 PM
I put a decent amount of time into Warframe and it's definitely a completely different game from when I played. It's very well supported by the devs.

Scar
01-04-2019, 01:49 AM
I think I'll be wandering the RDR2 wilderness for quite some time.

All legendary animals complete. Once you reach level 9 (achieved by hunting a possum playing possum), you can find the Legendary Panther, the last one I needed to get. Probably the most heart pumping part of the game for me, since the sucker stays in the thick brush / trees until it decides to come at you. Thank you, explosive buck shot, dead eye, and semi auto shotgun. All the other legendary animals I hunted I used one of the rifles (not lever actions) with either express or explosive ammo.

Ezee E
01-04-2019, 06:07 AM
I need to start using the express or explosive ammo more often.

Been basically doing the same, trying to advance in the Bandit/Gambling stages, and catching legendary animals in between. Was in a dilemma when I had a Legendary Trout and Moose at the same time. Just ran with the fish and stowed the moose to the nearby city's post office.

Milky Joe
01-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Hey Meg, DiRT Rally VR is only $10 if you're a PS+ member. It's supposed to be one of the best VR racing games (not to mention racing games, period). I grabbed it.

Skitch
01-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Kingdom Hearts 2.5 PS3 for 4$. Thank you lazy gamestop employee that mislabeled.

Morris Schæffer
01-04-2019, 10:35 AM
I think I'll be wandering the RDR2 wilderness for quite some time.

All legendary animals complete. Once you reach level 9 (achieved by hunting a possum playing possum), you can find the Legendary Panther, the last one I needed to get. Probably the most heart pumping part of the game for me, since the sucker stays in the thick brush / trees until it decides to come at you. Thank you, explosive buck shot, dead eye, and semi auto shotgun. All the other legendary animals I hunted I used one of the rifles (not lever actions) with either express or explosive ammo.

Is it a matter of finding them, or do they pop up only when you put some bait on the ground?

Scar
01-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Is it a matter of finding them, or do they pop up only when you put some bait on the ground?

No bait, you have to stalk them. You can acquire a map that shows their general location.

bac0n
01-04-2019, 01:07 PM
I just played RDR2 for the first time in about a month, and I think I'm just about to the part where I go fishing for the first time. I don't think I'm as far along as the rest of you folks are.

Ezee E
01-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Been in Chapter 4 for hours and hours and hours....

megladon8
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Hey Meg, DiRT Rally VR is only $10 if you're a PS+ member. It's supposed to be one of the best VR racing games (not to mention racing games, period). I grabbed it.

Very cool thank you! I will look when I get home.

Scar
01-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Been in Chapter 4 for hours and hours and hours....

Go wander around and do some Stranger Side Quests. Go hunt some perfect pelts with a tricked out rifle. Go explore.

Ezee E
01-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Go wander around and do some Stranger Side Quests. Go hunt some perfect pelts with a tricked out rifle. Go explore.

Exactly that for more hours and hours and hours...

Fished something legendary today, tried to get the Gambler Achievement for Dominoes, robbed a stagecoach.

Had no intention of continuing the story lol.

Scar
01-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Exactly that for more hours and hours and hours...

Fished something legendary today, tried to get the Gambler Achievement for Dominoes, robbed a stagecoach.

Had no intention of continuing the story lol.

Hahahaha. Been there, done that. I remember looking at the map and going: “Goddamnit, I don’t want to talk to fucking Dutch.”

megladon8
01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Generally not a fan of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, but couldn’t pass up Odyssey for $25 at Best Buy.

Morris Schæffer
01-06-2019, 04:40 PM
In RDR2 I arrived in camp with my horse, forgot to hitch it, got told by some lady horses in camps are not allowed, then later it turned out my horse was gone. Along with my sweet double barrelled shotgun.

megladon8
01-07-2019, 12:20 AM
The load times in AC Odyssey are awful and nearly ruining the game for me.

Scar
01-07-2019, 12:37 AM
In RDR2 I arrived in camp with my horse, forgot to hitch it, got told by some lady horses in camps are not allowed, then later it turned out my horse was gone. Along with my sweet double barrelled shotgun.

Gone gone? I got yelled at all the time and my horse would hitch itself.

bac0n
01-07-2019, 01:24 AM

Hey Duke, sounds like Nick Valentine made off with Morris’ horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dukefrukem
01-07-2019, 02:27 AM
I miss Nick Valentine so much.

Morris Schæffer
01-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Gone gone? I got yelled at all the time and my horse would hitch itself.

It was back last night when I started a new session.

Milky Joe
01-07-2019, 10:35 PM
Yeah, and your guns never really go away. When you acquire a new one, it will be available in your horse's saddle for the rest of the game.

Ezee E
01-08-2019, 04:57 AM
I think the only thing that goes away are pelts (non-Legendary) if you die.

Dukefrukem
01-08-2019, 01:02 PM
So all that alien teaser stuff was a phone game. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzWQwBEmkGw

Dukefrukem
01-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Fuck. Ubisoft just signed a deal with Epic on launching games on their new store. They are ditching steam for Division 2. Ugh

Irish
01-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Wait, didn't Ubisoft already have their own dedicated client? Or am I confusing them with another company?

I coulda sworn they were the ones who started "Origins" or whatever... like, you MUST sign up for our shitty service to download the game / play online.

Dukefrukem
01-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Wait, didn't Ubisoft already have their own dedicated client? Or am I confusing them with another company?

I coulda sworn they were the ones who started "Origins" or whatever... like, you MUST sign up for our shitty service to download the game / play online.

uPlay. And yes. Except no one goes to uPlay to buy their games, so they use other distribution systems as well. What makes steam so great is their player base, ability to upload videos, screenshots, post reviews, chat rooms, achievements, all in one cilent.

Stay Puft
01-10-2019, 01:07 AM
So is Uplay dead or are they still propping up its corpse? Uplay is the worst gaming client I've dealt with, poorly designed and extremely buggy and unreliable.

@Irish - Origin is EA's client.

Dukefrukem
01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
So is Uplay dead or are they still propping up its corpse? Uplay is the worst gaming client I've dealt with, poorly designed and extremely buggy and unreliable.

@Irish - Origin is EA's client.

Oh it exists. It's better in recent months. But again, all my friends are on steam. Not uPlay. Not Origin. Not Bethesda. Not Battlenet, Not Epic.

Irish
01-15-2019, 12:14 AM
Loved "Into the Breach" lately.

It's mecs vs kaijus. Save the world from alien invasion. Each level is maybe 10-15 minutes. Full playthrough 2-3 hours. You'll lose games more often than you'll win. There are a ton of different pilots and mecs to unlock, each with a different playstyle.

If you dig X-Com style strategy that will beat your ass across 3 difficulty levels, give it a try. Highly recommended.

megladon8
01-15-2019, 07:55 PM
It won tons of GOTY awards.

But it wasn’t until your description that I became interested!

Will check it out.

Scar
01-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Loved "Into the Breach" lately.

It's mecs vs kaijus. Save the world from alien invasion. Each level is maybe 10-15 minutes. Full playthrough 2-3 hours. You'll lose games more often than you'll win. There are a ton of different pilots and mecs to unlock, each with a different playstyle.

If you dig X-Com style strategy that will beat your ass across 3 difficulty levels, give it a try. Highly recommended.

XCOM, you say....?

megladon8
01-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Replaying Halo: Reach after nearly a decade has been a delight, and cements it as having perhaps the best campaign in the series, from a gameplay standpoint.

Irish
01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
XCOM, you say....?

It's half way between X-Com and a good puzzle game. Positioning matters. How and when you move matters. You gotta spend time thinking through your turn to meet mission goals and avoid damage to your cities.

But you also get to punch giant bugs and light them on fire with a flamethrower. (Another favorite: a mech that can leap across the map and smash enemies as he lands, Incredible Hulk style.)

Not to oversell it but I think the game is calling you out --- the maps are randomized but more than once I've fought in a zone called "The Scar Territory."

Dead & Messed Up
01-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Grabbed the N64 from my parents' house during a visit home; apparently we still had Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, and Banjo-Kazooie gathering dust in a rubber tub in the basement.

And excited now because my local re-seller has Wipeout 64 for $8, Wave Race for $5, 1080 Snowboarding for $8...

This may be a problem.

megladon8
01-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Man, 1080 Snowboarding was the freakin’ bee’s knees.

I still remember unlocking the gold (?) boarder and feeling like a million bucks.

Dukefrukem
01-15-2019, 11:30 PM
I'm still holding out that an N64 classic is in the works.

Scar
01-15-2019, 11:40 PM
I'm still holding out that an N64 classic is in the works.

Isn't there some huge licensing issue?

Dukefrukem
01-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Isn't there some huge licensing issue?

I hadn't read that.

Dukefrukem
01-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Bad news for that Star Wars game that Visceral games was working on before it was shuttered by EA.

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-world-star-wars-game-1831786371?utm_medium=Socialfl ow&utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku _Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter

Ezee E
01-16-2019, 02:09 AM
Another Star Wars game bites the dust. Bummer.

Dukefrukem
01-16-2019, 02:21 PM
I really enjoyed the other two Metro games; they were super atmospheric. This one also looks to be a solid entry in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHXcBHti2M

Morris Schæffer
01-16-2019, 07:04 PM
Metro games are great. I think the expectation is this will be more thansolid. But we'll see.

EDIT: Looks like they're going outdoors in earnest. Hope not too often, looks like Rage now.

Stay Puft
01-17-2019, 02:05 AM
Another Star Wars game bites the dust. Bummer.

Amusingly, EA came right out and said that the studio is now going to start developing... another Star Wars game.

Dukefrukem
01-17-2019, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugBZy8cb248

Morris Schæffer
01-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Fatalities look totally sick!!

Milky Joe
01-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Ace Combat 7 in VR. :cool: :cool: :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNyS_frD8yU

megladon8
01-19-2019, 01:03 PM
Astro Bot is something pretty special.

Milky Joe
01-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Heck yeah, meg. It was a "makes you feel like a kid again" experience for me.

bac0n
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM
I spent a few hours playing RDR2 last night for the first time in about a week, and man did Act III come from out of nowhere.

I mean, here I am getting a drink with Dutch and then suddenly the entire town is out to kill us and shit time to pack up and leave!

megladon8
01-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Heck yeah, meg. It was a "makes you feel like a kid again" experience for me.

Yep I agree.

It’s the same sense of wonder I had with Super Mario 64, and haven’t felt since then.

Scar
01-19-2019, 08:42 PM
I spent a few hours playing RDR2 last night for the first time in about a week, and man did Act III come from out of nowhere.

I mean, here I am getting a drink with Dutch and then suddenly the entire town is out to kill us and shit time to pack up and leave!

Your..... Avatar.....

Anyways.... I’ve spent hours hunting Gila monsters so I can craft a pair of gloves. No perfect ones yet, several good ones though.

Ezee E
01-19-2019, 09:51 PM
I haven't hit that far west. Still working the east.

How's one find the "Legendary Alligator?" It's not on the map.

Been leveling up the Gambler/Hunter/etc... I think it's time to return to story.

Scar
01-19-2019, 10:11 PM
I haven't hit that far west. Still working the east.

How's one find the "Legendary Alligator?" It's not on the map.

Been leveling up the Gambler/Hunter/etc... I think it's time to return to story.

Can't get it until a later chapter.

Morris Schæffer
01-22-2019, 09:39 PM
The Resident Evil 2 remake is getting raves.

megladon8
01-25-2019, 12:07 AM
Oh man, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is intense.

Morris Schæffer
01-26-2019, 07:29 PM
https://youtu.be/zLIv_UXI_So

Wow! This is Shinya Takahashi, Senior Managing Executive Officer at Nintendo, announcing that development on Metroid Prime 4 will start from scratch, and by Retro Studios no less.

Milky Joe
01-27-2019, 03:36 AM
Oh man, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is intense.

I haven't tried it too scaywry.

But I am seriously considering giving RE7 a go: what I have heard is it's one of the best games in the franchise as well as one of the best VR experiences available. But scaywy

Scar
01-27-2019, 04:27 AM
I haven't tried it too scaywry.

But I am seriously considering giving RE7 a go: what I have heard is it's one of the best games in the franchise as well as one of the best VR experiences available. But scaywy

Played it on a regular PS4 and almost jumped twice. If you play it in VR, might want to get some diapers.

Ezee E
01-27-2019, 05:45 AM
Yeah, RE7's first two hours or so is as nerveracking as it gets.

PT is probably the scariest of anything I've played. Couldn't imagine if that was on VR.

Dukefrukem
01-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Yeah, RE7's first two hours or so is as nerveracking as it gets.

PT is probably the scariest of anything I've played. Couldn't imagine if that was on VR.
Agreeed. I'm back from the Bahamas on Weds and I'm immediately buying RE2. I played the one shot demo before I left and it was so nostalgic I got chills in addition to being so different at times. Haven't felt that way since MGS4

Ezee E
01-28-2019, 12:06 AM
Is the story different in the new RE2? I remember loving the approach it had forever ago, but I'd rather not replay the whole story with upgraded graphics.

Dukefrukem
01-28-2019, 12:45 AM
Is the story different in the new RE2? I remember loving the approach it had forever ago, but I'd rather not replay the whole story with upgraded graphics.

I'm not sure the story is going to change much. The puzzles are all different though. And the game play is like dead space meaning you can walk and aim.

Irish
01-28-2019, 01:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj01b_z3gnc

^ Qualified praise for the "Anthem" demo by Jim Sterling, which makes me think this game might be actually good.

OTOH, it's still EA and fuck them.

megladon8
01-28-2019, 01:29 AM
I read recently that they’re having some horrid online problems with it.

Ezee E
01-28-2019, 01:56 AM
I'm not sure the story is going to change much. The puzzles are all different though. And the game play is like dead space meaning you can walk and aim.

Dang. I'll pass.

Scar
01-28-2019, 02:29 AM
Dang. I'll pass.

I’m going to at least try to hold off for a price drop.

Milky Joe
01-28-2019, 03:31 AM
Dang. I'll pass.

you aren't gonna play it because of the story?

I just bought it today. seems like the kind of nostalgia-feels meets modern AAA gaming experience I've been looking for lately.

Ezee E
01-28-2019, 05:03 AM
you aren't gonna play it because of the story?

I just bought it today. seems like the kind of nostalgia-feels meets modern AAA gaming experience I've been looking for lately.

I've played the story already. I already know the feel of the game. I don't think it'd be worth going back to. I had a hard enough time in RE2 playing a second playthrough, just because the map felt so obvious. Luckily, the game gives some neat incentives to play a second time with tougher zombies or less ammo, depending what you did.

I certainly haven't played them all, but I think it's probably the third best of the series.

3, 5, and 6 I have either not played or have no recollection of it.

Dukefrukem
01-28-2019, 01:07 PM
My favorite thing to do, rank stuff.

RE2
RE4
RE Directors Cut
RE Code Veronica
RE 7
RE Revelations
RE Revelations 2
RE One
RE Zero
RE 3
RE 5
RE 6

Dukefrukem
01-28-2019, 01:08 PM
It should also be noted that I purchased RE4, six separate times on various platforms.

And RE2 is in my top 5 all time favorite games ever.

Morris Schæffer
01-28-2019, 03:44 PM
No one stunned or giving a shit about my earlier post about Metroid Prime 4? :D

Watashi
01-29-2019, 05:11 PM
I guess I'm the only one playing Kingdom Hearts 3?

Skitch
01-29-2019, 05:34 PM
I'm still playing Kingdom Hearts 2 lol

Milky Joe
01-29-2019, 05:51 PM
I guess I'm the only one playing Kingdom Hearts 3?

never heard of it

megladon8
01-29-2019, 06:24 PM
No one stunned or giving a shit about my earlier post about Metroid Prime 4? :D

Nope, I saw!!

I just don’t own any current Nintendo consoles / stuff.

MP is my fave game of all time. I really hope they bring Samus back from the poop.

Milky Joe
01-30-2019, 06:23 AM
RE2 owns. If you ever liked an old-school RE game, you will love this. Capcom have set the bar for the idea of a modern remake of an old game - again, that is, after they did it the first time with RE on the Gamecube.

I've played the story already. I already know the feel of the game. I don't think it'd be worth going back to. I had a hard enough time in RE2 playing a second playthrough, just because the map felt so obvious.

I don't get this. How do you know the feel of the game if you haven't played it? The map and the puzzles are completely different.

Ezee E
01-30-2019, 11:51 PM
RE2 owns. If you ever liked an old-school RE game, you will love this. Capcom have set the bar for the idea of a modern remake of an old game - again, that is, after they did it the first time with RE on the Gamecube.

I don't get this. How do you know the feel of the game if you haven't played it? The map and the puzzles are completely different.

Different puzzles, leads to the same result in the end.

Milky Joe
01-31-2019, 01:00 AM
but the puzzles are the fun part and traversing the map and taking in the atmosphere are the fun parts. the story is an excuse for those things. that's what makes it a game and not a movie. I can scarcely imagine playing videogames for their stories. *shudder*

Dukefrukem
02-02-2019, 02:50 PM
OK, I need to stop buying games and not playing them. MC help me prioritize what I need to play. I'm so far behind, and going to be worse off in 8 months. Now that Division 2 isn't coming to steam until next year, it might be a good opportunity to start playing the single player stuff that I ignore over multiplayer stuff.

Milky Joe
02-02-2019, 07:08 PM
what do you have that you haven't played? that information would be helpful ;)

Skitch
02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Yeah as a watcher I'd like a vote lol

Dukefrukem
02-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Resident Evil 2 Remake ( i think this is the front-runner)
uncharted the lost legacy
Spider-man
Horizon Zero Dawn
All three new Tomb Raider games
Red Dead 2
Doom (already started)
Metro Exodus
God of War
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
INSIDE
Just Cause 2, 3, and 4
Outlast 2
Soma
Batman: The Telltale Series
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series
BEYOND: Two Souls
Detroit
Until Dawn

Irish
02-02-2019, 11:25 PM
What the hell were you playing last year that you missed all those games?! :D

Seriously, I'd go for the obvious: "God of War," "Horizon Zero Dawn," "Spider-man," and "Red Dead 2." (In that order, due to length.)

Dukefrukem
02-02-2019, 11:31 PM
What the hell were you playing last year that you missed all those games?! :D

Seriously, I'd go for the obvious: "God of War," "Horizon Zero Dawn," "Spider-man," and "Red Dead 2." (In that order, due to length.)

mainly...The Division / Rainbow Six Siege / Ghost Recon Wildlands with Resident Evil VII sprinkled in.

I like that order....

Skitch
02-03-2019, 12:50 AM
RE2 remake, GoW, or Spiderman

megladon8
02-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Last night I dreamt I got a new PSVR game called John Cena’s Rollercoaster Adventures and today I’m super bummed that it’s not real.

bac0n
02-04-2019, 08:29 PM
Last night I dreamt I got a new PSVR game called John Cena’s Rollercoaster Adventures and today I’m super bummed that it’s not real.

If it makes you feel any better, I googled John Cena’s Rollercoaster Adventures and this came up.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/_TMk1M6gpaE/maxresdefault.jpg

megladon8
02-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Thank you, bac0n.

Irish
02-06-2019, 12:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfmRnDM_eMI

^ 17 minutes of APE OUT gameplay!!!