View Full Version : The Google/Android Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dukefrukem
09-02-2008, 09:01 PM
It's amazing... try it quick!

http://www.google.com/chrome/

Lasse
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I hadn't even heard about it until now. I'll wait for some word of mouth.

chrisnu
09-03-2008, 04:47 AM
It's my fault for being dependent on third-party software, but if it doesn't natively support Roboform, I can't use it. On a first look, it doesn't appear that it does.

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Doesn't work well with my laptop's touch pad. After some investigating, it seems any Synaptics touch pad won't function properly. I can only scroll down, not up, and the scroll is way too fast. It won't read my default touch pad settings, and it can't be adjusted. Until they fix those bugs, it's useless to me.

Wryan
09-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Thumbnails for my top-visited sites? I don't think so. :eek:

Kurosawa Fan
09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Thumbnails for my top-visited sites? I don't think so. :eek:

There's an Incognito mode for this.. issue.

Sycophant
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I think I like this. I'm dubious about Firefox 3's improvements and this runs pretty smoothly. Looking forward to a bit more customizaiton as time goes on, though. It's Google. It'll ultimately be the best thing ever.

Dukefrukem
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I think I like this. I'm dubious about Firefox 3's improvements and this runs pretty smoothly. Looking forward to a bit more customizaiton as time goes on, though. It's Google. It'll ultimately be the best thing ever.

instead of opening up 1 processes, and filling it with RAM on your pC, it opens up a processes for each tab you have... it allows for multitasking to be MUCH faster... and you can feel it instantly...

but you guys are right, it does have a lot of bugs.

Wryan
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
There's an Incognito mode for this.. issue.

They must shop at S-MART!

monolith94
09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Using it right now, haven't encountered anything too fuzzy.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 04:59 PM
It boggles my mind that anyone else would ever use anything that isn't Chrome.

[ETM]
05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah, even with all the improvements, it has stayed as sleek and clutter-free as ever.

shaun
05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Not seeing the appeal of the new Chromebook initiative other than as a mild alternative to netbooks. No local storage and laptop form factor that can only run Chrome.

I guess because it's Google but really the amount of press this has generated is sort of baffling to me.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Not seeing the appeal of the new Chromebook initiative other than as a mild alternative to netbooks. No local storage and laptop form factor that can only run Chrome.

I guess because it's Google but really the amount of press this has generated is sort of baffling to me.

It's an attempt to reform the market. Imagine what's going to happen to notebooks/laptops if successful?

For $300, I'll give it a go. Maybe even $500 since it's google.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
;344335']Yeah, even with all the improvements, it has stayed as sleek and clutter-free as ever.

Not sure if people know, but Angry Birds is now free using the Chrome app store.

And BTW, the app store is fucking fantastic. So many useful apps.add ons for Chrome that make the internet so much easier and faster.

shaun
05-12-2011, 06:39 PM
It's an attempt to reform the market. Imagine what's going to happen to notebooks/laptops if successful?I don't see it as creating a new market but rather sliding into the existing netbook/tablet one that's taking over machines that are being strictly used for web content. Power users are still going to require laptops/desktops.

megladon8
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I still use Opera.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't see it as creating a new market but rather sliding into the existing netbook/tablet one that's taking over machines that are being strictly used for web content. Power users are still going to require laptops/desktops.

I think your underestimating this. Think of people who want to use a tablet for web browsing, but still want that tactical keyboard built in. They're out there.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I still use Opera.

It's a good number 2 to have I suppose. ( in terms of speed)

The applications it comes with however do not come close to comparison.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yh8YT1kEoHw/TZKpVQ5cl-I/AAAAAAAAAFM/GE_VyA-WXQo/s1600/peacekeeper+tests+mar11+q6600. jpg

megladon8
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I downloaded Chrome about 2 months ago and it didn't work. A blank page, and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't letting me navigate at all. I would enter a URL and it would load, but just another blank page.

So I was like "fuck this, back to Opera".

Yxklyx
05-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I've been using Chrome for a couple of months now. I feel like I'm back in the 90s again! It's an awesome little program.

I only have two issues with it. Can't find an auto-refresh plugin and copy and paste highlights things oddly. Also, Netflix doesn't work that great with it. I use it both on Linux and Windows XP.

Opera is still OK. Firefox is awful at the moment - I'd rather use IE than super bloated Firefox that needs to be killed every 24 hours.

Ezee E
05-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Any apps that I should be aware of on Chrome?

Been using it for well over a year. The tab system and quickness outdoes all the other browsers.

Acapelli
05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
switched to chrome a few months back. nice to have something so much faster and lighter, but it's annoying that they haven't figured out how to make skipscreen or the cavern links checker (two essential extensions for the modern pirate) to work properly on it

first world problems

megladon8
05-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Just tried to download and use Chrome again for shits n giggles.

It officially does not work on my computer.

Downloaded, opened it. Nothing worked, like the first time I used it. Just had a big navy blue screen that said "Something went wrong. To learn more, click here" and when I clicked it, it just opened another navy blue window that said the same thing.

Then my computer froze and restarted automatically.

And now I cannot even open the program.

Yeah, I'll stick with Opera thank you very much.

eternity
05-12-2011, 09:31 PM
It boggles my mind that anyone else would ever use anything that isn't Chrome.
Every new tab in Chrome creates a new process that doesn't close when you close the tab, meaning that I have to keep task manager up constantly to make sure Chrome doesn't slow my computer down to a crawl. Counter-productive considering Chrome is supposed to be the swift browser.

origami_mustache
05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Firefox 4 is a lot faster and sleeker than the old version. Seems like they tried to borrow some things from google, but I still prefer Chrome.

shaun
05-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I think your underestimating this. Think of people who want to use a tablet for web browsing, but still want that tactical keyboard built in. They're out there.That still seems like a netbook to me though, with Chrome and without local storage. Eh.

[ETM]
05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
It's seriously weird to see complaints... Chrome has worked like a charm on every bucket of bolts I installed it on. Even on my Atom N270 netbook downclocked to 800MHz it works like a charm. Also, it does close processes, eternity. It just has separate ones for every tab, but also every extension and plugin. You guys must have some weird setups.

megladon8
05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Sure doesn't work for me.

number8
05-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Firefox 4 is a lot faster and sleeker than the old version. Seems like they tried to borrow some things from google, but I still prefer Chrome.

I don't consider Firefox 4 an improvement. It's more like a bug fix for the pile of shit that was Firefox 3. Yeah, it finally stopped being bloatware that doesn't work, but what's the point anymore. I'd rather use Chrome.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
I've been using Chrome for a couple of months now. I feel like I'm back in the 90s again! It's an awesome little program.

I only have two issues with it. Can't find an auto-refresh plugin and copy and paste highlights things oddly. Also, Netflix doesn't work that great with it. I use it both on Linux and Windows XP.

Opera is still OK. Firefox is awful at the moment - I'd rather use IE than super bloated Firefox that needs to be killed every 24 hours.

Weird. All those things work perfectly for me.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Just tried to download and use Chrome again for shits n giggles.

It officially does not work on my computer.

Downloaded, opened it. Nothing worked, like the first time I used it. Just had a big navy blue screen that said "Something went wrong. To learn more, click here" and when I clicked it, it just opened another navy blue window that said the same thing.

Then my computer froze and restarted automatically.

And now I cannot even open the program.

Yeah, I'll stick with Opera thank you very much.

You don't download anything. It installs directly from the web. Check your connection or blocked popups, firewall etc.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Every new tab in Chrome creates a new process that doesn't close when you close the tab, meaning that I have to keep task manager up constantly to make sure Chrome doesn't slow my computer down to a crawl. Counter-productive considering Chrome is supposed to be the swift browser.

It's designed for multi-core processors and the extra processes are actually BETTER for your computer so it can handle the tasks accordingly. Instead of just one processe that eats ALL of your RAM and CPU cycles. There's an option to disable that i believe.

megladon8
05-12-2011, 11:08 PM
You don't download anything. It installs directly from the web. Check your connection or blocked popups, firewall etc.

Download Google Chrome. (http://www.google.com/chrome/)

I downloaded the installer, and then used that to install it on my system.

And it doesn't work.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Try this meg (http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?standalone=1&hl=en)

megladon8
05-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Tried that, Duke, and, le sigh...

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7176/chromee.jpg

Exact same problem.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:15 PM
So you downloaded it?? BUt it doesn't display sites?

Da heck.

megladon8
05-12-2011, 11:18 PM
So you downloaded it?? BUt it doesn't display sites?

Da heck.

Yes, like I said before.

I tried going to MatchCut, and it showed a quick flash of the page loading, then it went back to that navy blue screen with "Aw, snap!"

In other words, Google Chrome can eat my shorts.

Dukefrukem
05-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I might know what's wrong.

What version does it say you have?

Wrench in the top right hand corner >> About Google Chrome?

Ezee E
05-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Never really had an issue with Firefox either. Chrome just works faster for me.

megladon8
05-13-2011, 02:31 AM
I had to do a full system overhaul anyways, so I installed Windows 7 and Chrome.

Chrome works now, though I'm finding it quite slow with downloads and stuff like YouTube.

Raiders
05-15-2011, 12:14 AM
OK, so I am giving it a shot and it does seem to work very smoothly, but a huge drawback is that it doesn't seem to have WYSIWYG enabled, at least for vBulletin sites. I hate seeing the bbCode tags.

number8
05-15-2011, 02:29 AM
OK, so I am giving it a shot and it does seem to work very smoothly, but a huge drawback is that it doesn't seem to have WYSIWYG enabled, at least for vBulletin sites. I hate seeing the bbCode tags.

Yeah. It works on most sites' editors. I'm not sure what it's problem with vBUlletin is.

number8
05-15-2011, 02:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wv9zp.jpg

Dukefrukem
05-16-2011, 01:47 AM
I prefer seeing code when editing.

Yxklyx
05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm starting to see the problems megladon8 had seen. Chrome hangs when trying to contact some third party web site that is linked from the site you are trying to connect to - like facebook or some ad site.

I suspect this is a deliberate attack on Google's Chrome by Facebook.

Dukefrukem
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm starting to see the problems megladon8 had seen. Chrome hangs when trying to contact some third party web site that is linked from the site you are trying to connect to - like facebook or some ad site.

I suspect this is a deliberate attack on Google's Chrome by Facebook.

Facebook runs seamlessly for me. What version are you running? They made an update recently.

Yxklyx
05-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Facebook runs seamlessly for me. What version are you running? They made an update recently.

No, the problem wasn't with connecting to the Facebook site - it was connecting to some other site that itself connects to Facebook - you can see on the bottom left the site it's trying to connect to and it was hanging on the Facebook connection - so many sites connect to Facebook nowadays it's like a virus. Anyway, I deleted all my Browsing Data and now it works fine - it was probably reading an old Facebook cookie that I now deleted.

Robby P
05-18-2011, 04:04 PM
The new Print Preview function in Chrome 13 is all different kinds of win.

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Ah you're using Beta. I stick with the official release.

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Also, did anyone get a beta invite for Google Music?

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Can we rename this thread to:

The Google Thread (or, the I Hate Steve Jobs and Apple Thread)

megladon8
05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Man, Chrome really sucks for FaceBook.

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Man, Chrome really sucks for FaceBook.

I should really take a video of how seamlessly my internet browsing and multitasking has INCREASED due to Chrome and why it's IMPOSSIBLE to replicate in any other browser known to man.

megladon8
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I should really take a video of how seamlessly my internet browsing and multitasking has INCREASED due to Chrome and why it's IMPOSSIBLE to replicate in any other browser known to man.

My experience with Chrome so far has proven that Opera is better.

Milky Joe
05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
On a scale of one to ten, how proud would you say you are that Chrome hasn't been working for you? Because I'm going to guess about a 8 or 9.

Russ
05-18-2011, 11:01 PM
On a scale of one to ten, how proud would you say you are that Chrome hasn't been working for you? Because I'm going to guess about a 8 or 9.
I don't understand this question. What does pride have to do with it?

megladon8
05-18-2011, 11:02 PM

It's working now, it's just pretty slow. And FaceBook really doesn't work too well on it.

I just don't see this revolutionary, seamless internet experience that Duke's raving about.

Milky Joe
05-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Heh. Just a joke. It seemed like from how outspoken he's been about his troubles with Chrome and deeming it such a terrible piece of software... I don't know, he just seems to like being able to say it.

megladon8
05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Heh. Just a joke. It seemed like from how outspoken he's been about his troubles with Chrome and deeming it such a terrible piece of software... I don't know, he just seems to like being able to say it.

It's not terrible. At least it works for me now (though I had to install a new OS to do so).

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 11:06 PM
It's working now, it's just pretty slow. And FaceBook really doesn't work too well on it.

I just don't see this revolutionary, seamless internet experience that Duke's raving about.

Everyone browses the internet differently. For example, in FF and Opera you can't create a tab directly next to another tab. In Chrome, the option is right at the top of the drop down list. (making it easy and FAST to get to) You can sync your bookmarks, apps, themes, passwords, with your gmail account. The apps are integrated right into the browser as time icons which you can turn on/off with quick shortcuts. The freakin APP STORE which is the best improvement over the last few weeks. Clicking a new tab brings up the last used sites you've visited, giving you easy access to recently closed sites as well as teh app store.

You might need a dual core CPU to take full advantage of chrome.

Milky Joe
05-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I definitely love that when you close a tab, you can go into the history and reopen it immediately, and it actually preserves the whole history of that tab. That's a good feature.

megladon8
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Opera does that too.

And I like Opera's bookmarks feature better.

megladon8
05-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Everyone browses the internet differently. For example, in FF and Opera you can't create a tab directly next to another tab. In Chrome, the option is right at the top of the drop down list. (making it easy and FAST to get to) You can sync your bookmarks, apps, themes, passwords, with your gmail account. The apps are integrated right into the browser as time icons which you can turn on/off with quick shortcuts. The freakin APP STORE which is the best improvement over the last few weeks. Clicking a new tab brings up the last used sites you've visited, giving you easy access to recently closed sites as well as teh app store.

You might need a dual core CPU to take full advantage of chrome.

WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY IT THEN???

Dukefrukem
05-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I, Dukefrukem, Take Google Chrome...

number8
05-19-2011, 02:12 AM
There is zero problems with Facebook on Chrome.

Ezee E
05-19-2011, 03:04 AM
Can't say I really notice facebook problems on any browser for that matter.

EyesWideOpen
05-19-2011, 04:25 AM

If that's the case then it's still not working correctly on your computer because it should be loads faster and Facebook should be working fine.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Yep. The only issue I have with Chrome is that it doesn't recognize all of the gestures on my Mac's touch pad. Otherwise, every site works flawlessly.

number8
05-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Yep. The only issue I have with Chrome is that it doesn't recognize all of the gestures on my Mac's touch pad. Otherwise, every site works flawlessly.

Do you use BetterTouchTool? You're missing out if you don't.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Do you use BetterTouchTool? You're missing out if you don't.

No, is that an app for Chrome? The only thing that Chrome won't recognize is the three finger movement that brings you to the top or bottom of a page, which helps with Match Cut for returning to the main forum page.

number8
05-19-2011, 02:19 PM
No, is that an app for Chrome? The only thing that Chrome won't recognize is the three finger movement that brings you to the top or bottom of a page, which helps with Match Cut for returning to the main forum page.

No, it's a free Mac program that allows you to assign any action on any program to any custom finger gesture you want.

The only downside is it fucks me up when I use someone else's Mac, because I have to readjust to the default finger movements, heh.

EyesWideOpen
05-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I've been using Google chrome since it came out and the only website I use that doesn't work correctly still is discount comic book service. It loads correctly but when you scroll down it cut off the bottom half of each page. I have to open internet explorer for that one.

D_Davis
05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Man, the Internet is serious business.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Man, the Internet is serious business.

just like LinkedIns IPO today... Wow!

shaun
05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
The only thing that really annoys me with Chrome is their min/max/exit buttons in the top right are not the same size as every other application in the history of Windows computing. I have a tendency to close out of Chrome when I was just trying to minimize a couple things.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h3wpip.jpg

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 05:35 PM
The only thing that really annoys me with Chrome is their min/max/exit buttons in the top right are not the same size as every other application in the history of Windows computing. I have a tendency to close out of Chrome when I was just trying to minimize a couple things.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2h3wpip.jpg

If you Run Vista or Windows 7, you dont have that problem.

I suggest you check the option to open all previously closed tabs when starting chrome. ;)

shaun
05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
If you Run Vista or Windows 7, you dont have that problem.XP Pro at work still. Windows 7 at home. :sad:

megladon8
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM

I frequently have to reload the FaceBook page (whether it be a profile page, the main "home" page, or whatever) because it has completely frozen and will not load anything I click on.

shaun
05-19-2011, 05:52 PM
just like LinkedIns IPO today... Wow!It's now valued at 40x their 2010 revenues. People are dumb.

megladon8
05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Is there a special plugin required for Quicktime to work with Chrome?

Apple.com/trailers isn't really working for me. When I click a film to watch a trailer for it, it loads that film's page, but the little drop down menu that's supposed to be there (giving me the option to watch the trailer in HD or standard, or to download it) is not there.

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Is there a special plugin required for Quicktime to work with Chrome?

No. But there is a special plugin that's required to use the internet.

megladon8
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Good one.

D_Davis
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
It's now valued at 40x their 2010 revenues. People are dumb.

Yeah - very.

megladon8
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Here's what I get trying to watch a trailer...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/457/applei.jpg

See, there's no ability to play it, it's just kind of a blank screen.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Here's what I get trying to watch a trailer...

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/457/applei.jpg

See, there's no ability to play it, it's just kind of a blank screen.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Updated to the latest version of QT?

Dukefrukem
05-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Chrome 11.0.696 and QT 7.6.9

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/Misc/ChromeScreenshot.jpg

number8
05-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Personally, I don't know how you guys can stand playing Quicktime movies on Windows.

D_Davis
05-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Personally, I don't know how you guys can stand playing Quicktime movies on Windows.

Yeah, because pressing play and watching the video is such a hassle.

number8
05-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Yeah, because pressing play and watching the video is such a hassle.

Apple software tend to be extremely buggy on non-Macs. They sort of half-ass the porting. I think the browser plugins less so than the actual Quicktime Player, but still.

[ETM]
05-19-2011, 11:44 PM
I refuse to install Quicktime. When I want trailers, I download them using davestrailerpage.co.uk and watch them with VLC.

Dukefrukem
05-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Apple software tend to be extremely buggy on non-Macs. They sort of half-ass the porting. I think the browser plugins less so than the actual Quicktime Player, but still.

It's not buggy like it used to be back in 2003. It's just shit software. (mainly iTunes) QT has always run fine for me.

shaun
05-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Why is there no auto-hide function on the download bar? There should be one if not.

Also, what extensions would you consider "must have"?

Dukefrukem
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Why is there no auto-hide function on the download bar? There should be one if not.

Also, what extensions would you consider "must have"?

Would you rather a popup window that you can't close until the download is complete like in IE?

extensions:

Ad Block
IE Tab
Reader
Angry Birds

and Rapportive for Gmail

megladon8
05-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Chrome 11.0.696 and QT 7.6.9

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/Misc/ChromeScreenshot.jpg

Nope, doesn't work.

I have latest Chrome and latest QuickTime.

Ezee E
05-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Ha. That trailer isn't working for me either.

[ETM]
05-22-2011, 09:56 PM
sDPJ-o1leAw

Dukefrukem
05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Got my invite to Google Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Ezee E
05-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Got my invite to Google Music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
What is that?

number8
05-26-2011, 09:47 PM
What is that?

Google it.

Dukefrukem
05-27-2011, 01:29 AM
What is that?

Cloud store all of your music on google. http://music.google.com/music

It's currently uploading 22k songs! Organizing them by artist, and attaching album covers.... problem right now is it's painfully slow. I started uploading at 7pm and it's only uploaded 346 songs.

It also comes with an Android app. Streams AMAZING so far.

Dukefrukem
05-27-2011, 12:50 PM
2500 of 20,000 songs uploaded....

Dukefrukem
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
8000 uploaded

ALso got my Gingerbread rollout to my DroidX this morning. Yay.

number8
06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Screw Google Music. I'm excited for Google Wallet.

Acapelli
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
got my google music invite

sweet

Dukefrukem
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
got my google music invite

sweet

http://files.notebookforums.com/images/smilies/headbang.gif

Barty
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I want my invite so bad...

Dukefrukem
06-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I streaming my collection from my phone to and from work yesterday. A grand total of 102 miles of uninterrupted - perfectly quality music. Impressive.

Dukefrukem
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
must be my lucky week

Be the first to get a Chromebook.
Since we announced the Chrome Notebook Pilot Program back in December, we’ve been humbled by the amount of interest that we’ve received from users like you.

We’re excited about the brand-new Samsung Chromebook that goes on sale on June 15. Fortunately, we’ve managed to get our hands on a few machines a little earlier, and we’d like to make these available to you, our biggest enthusiasts.

When you buy your Chromebook, you’ll also be getting a limited edition, custom-fit Chrome sleeve designed by Rickshaw so you can carry your new Chromebook in style.

Our good friends over at Gilt, the premier invitation-only shopping site, have agreed to put these Chromebooks up for sale -- but only for a very limited time.

Click here to join the sale on Wednesday, June 1 at 9:00 am PT / 12:00 pm ET.

*Remember, you mu

Dukefrukem
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
10812 uploaded

Dukefrukem
06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
14,000!!!!!!

number8
06-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Google is phasing out support for older browsers from 1 August.

Those using IE7, Safari 3, Firefox 3.5 and their predecessors to view Gmail, Google Calendar, Talk, Docs and Sites will then lose some functions.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/pisquared/OrsonWellesClap.gif

Dukefrukem
06-04-2011, 01:55 PM
You like that?

shaun
06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Got an invite to Google Music. Not convinced it be all that useful but at least it gives me a reason to clean up a pretty bloated library.

number8
06-04-2011, 03:07 PM
You like that?

What's not to like?

If you've ever designed and managed a website, there is nobody you want to kill more in this world than people who use outdated browsers.

Google and Facebook, as the two most used websites in the world, have a responsibility to cleanse these people.

Dukefrukem
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
What's not to like?

If you've ever designed and managed a website, there is nobody you want to kill more in this world than people who use outdated browsers.

Google and Facebook, as the two most used websites in the world, have a responsibility to cleanse these people.

Good point. +1 for Google- as usual

Raiders
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I love you Google.

bac0n
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Good on Google. I occasionally run into the occasional sod complaining of something I built acting wonky for them, only to find out they're still on IE6.

Raiders
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
It's really difficult though. After six attempts, this is all I could manage:

http://goo.gl/doodle/hRVH

Robby P
06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I thought this Metallica one was pretty good.

http://www.google.com/webhp?tune=YAFxjjnCFhCIE5xiYXG OOSI6EIjjghPA

The Billie Jean one making the youtube rounds doesn't sound like Billie Jean to me.

Dukefrukem
06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Picked up the new Samsung Galaxy Tab on Friday, brought it home, turned it on... fun.

Oh wait... there's absolutely NO APPS for it. No Netflix, No WSJ, barely any books in the Google store, the Kindle app is pretty nice. Same as the one on the phone though...

so what's the point?

Returning it tomorrow.

[ETM]
06-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Indeed. State-of-the-art hardware means absolutely nothing to you because you can't do much with it without a matching ecosystem.

That's why I'd never get a tablet that tries to compete with Apple.

Irish
06-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh wait... there's absolutely NO APPS for it. No Netflix, No WSJ, barely any books in the Google store, the Kindle app is pretty nice. Same as the one on the phone though...

Unfortunate chicken-and-egg problem with the platform right now, from what I understand.

No apps, low sales. Low sales, no developers. Which means ... no apps.

Fezzik
06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
It's sad, because I really don't want to get an iPad, but to get a tablet that does everything I want it to do right now, I have to get an iPad.

The HP Touchpad comes out in two weeks, and as an employee, I wanted to be supportive, but there's still no confirmation of a Netflix app for WebOS 3.0.

It's all about Apps for me.

I want a tablet that can

* Stream Netflix
* Act as an e-reader
* Play music
* Check email
* Browse
* Store and organize PDFs.

Everything else is gravy. Every other tablet I've looked at has ALL of these features - except Netflix. That's a deal breaker. Why get a tablet, no matter how good it is, if there are no applications that support what you want it for?

It's kind of ironic. I Never owned or bought a Mac because despite the hardware quality, the applications available weren't what I wanted (gaming).

In the tablet realm, Apple seems to be the only one who currently HAS the apps I want.

Ah well. Decisions, decisions.

shaun
06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
What's your objection to the iPad? You note the quality of Apple hardware, the fact that it can do everything you want in a tablet, and it has a leading price point in the sector.

Is it just wanting a different tablet?

Fezzik
06-20-2011, 05:41 PM
What's your objection to the iPad? You note the quality of Apple hardware, the fact that it can do everything you want in a tablet, and it has a leading price point in the sector.

Is it just wanting a different tablet?

I was trying to get away from Apple. I switched from my Apple iPhone to Sprint's EVO 3D (or will, next week) because I dislike Apple's policy of locking the devices down cold.

But, for what I want the tablet to do, the more I think about it, the iPad might be exactly what I'm looking for. Customizability really doesn't concern me nearly as much.

I'm going to call HP before I make the decision, though, because I really WANT to support my company and the Touchpad, from an OS/hardware point of view, is a beauty. All it needs is confirmed Netflix support and i'm all over it.

If not, though, oh hai Steve Jobs.

shaun
06-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Just curious. I was semi-set on the Xoom prior to launch but ultimately the specs (minus screen res) were a disappointment and the Android store just isn't in the same league as iTunes. I've been very happy with the iPad 2.

Netflix, HBO Go, MLB.tv, and Cablevision's Optimum app give me everything my TV does on a tablet.

Dukefrukem
06-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll put this here too.

Do a search for gay, lesbian or transgender and you'll see a rainbow show up on Google's search box.

http://smarterware.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/googlegaypride.png

number8
06-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Also works for Homosexual, Bisexual, LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTA and Queer.

[ETM]
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
I wish the Toshiba Thrive would come out already... it has all the flexibility I need hardware-wise, at a goo price point. It's just ticking all my boxes as if it knew my wish-list:

- thicker, with a rubberized, textured back. I really dislike the feel of the iPad 2 in my hand(s), I don't find it comfortable at all.
- interchangeable back covers
- easily replaceable battery
- full size USB port
- full size HDMI out
- full size SD card slot
- pre-installed file browser
- 1280x800 IPS 10" screen

I'm not interested in online services such as Netflix at all, because of where I live, so the tinkerability of Honeycomb + that hardware base = me love it long time. I just want to handle it and if the feel is right, they have my money.

Dukefrukem
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm wondering why you guys are more interested in the Motorola, Toshiba and HP tabs when the Samsung Tab is exactly like the iPad 2 (literally, i mean they're being sued for patent infringement as we speak) only it runs Andorid over iOS and has a widescreen and dual core CPU. So it essentially has better hardware than anything on the market and is thinner than the ipad.

THe only problem remains is the fragmentation of the OS, which is supposedly supposed to be solved when Ice Cream sandwich is released. This is the reason why there's so little apps for it right now. THat and the SDK wasn't released.

[ETM]
06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
So it essentially has better hardware than anything on the market and is thinner than the ipad.

As I've said - "thinner" is a con in my book. I have large palms and long fingers and I prefer a tablet that I can grasp more firmly without going with cases, and covers. As for "better hardware" - replaceable battery and full size connectors >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all.

Irish
06-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I was trying to get away from Apple.

If that's your goal, I'd wait. I'd be very surprised if the Netflix issue isn't resolved in the next six months, and if you get an iPad2 now you'll be stuck with something you didn't really want for what? 2? 3 years?

Dukefrukem
06-20-2011, 06:54 PM
If that's your goal, I'd wait. I'd be very surprised if the Netflix issue isn't resolved in the next six months, and if you get an iPad2 now you'll be stuck with something you didn't really want for what? 2? 3 years?

Q4 of this year is when apps should start flowin in.

[ETM]
06-20-2011, 07:58 PM
A dude just posted an ad on a forum - he's selling brand new iPads. He's getting them from abroad, because the iPad 2 is not yet available through legal channels here. He asks for almost $800 for the 16GB WiFi version, and $85 for the fricken' Smart Cover.

You see what I have to live with here? My rent is $243, for reference.

shaun
06-20-2011, 08:00 PM
What's the import law where you are? B&H has them in stock now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758418-REG/Apple_MC769LL_A_16GB_iPad_2_wi th.html

[ETM]
06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Customs and shipping would make it more expensive than what the guy asks, that's the real clincher right there.

I'm not getting an iPad, but I have a friend who's moving to US soon, and she's got someone who travels back and forth rather regularly, so if I decide to get something, she'll buy it online and send it to me. I can wait.

D_Davis
06-22-2011, 11:15 PM
New iPad is even bigger, wall-mounted.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/06/22/apple.tv/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Dukefrukem
06-22-2011, 11:17 PM
New iPad is even bigger, wall-mounted.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/06/22/apple.tv/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

wrong thread ;)

Ezee E
06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Got my google music invite. Love it. I'm going to play my stuff at work tomorrow.

I wonder if you'll ever get to share music with other "google friends" or at least listen to their lists or something.

Dukefrukem
06-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Got my google music invite. Love it. I'm going to play my stuff at work tomorrow.

I wonder if you'll ever get to share music with other "google friends" or at least listen to their lists or something.

I'm waiting for the ability to REDOWNLOAD my music. Don't think any of these features will happen. We'll see what they do with this.

Ezee E
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I did make the mistake of taking the free songs. I want to just get rid of all of them...

Except Kriss Kross.

Irish
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM

This article is about turntable.fm but it might shed some light on what Google or might not be able to do with this service:

http://allthingsd.com/20110621/turntable-fm-really-is-awesome-is-it-legal/

I'd be very surprised if Google made deals with the labels, though, under their flagship brand.

D_Davis
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
wrong thread ;)

d'oh.

Barty
06-25-2011, 08:03 AM
The FTC is about to try and take down Google and formally accuse them of anti-competitive behavior (for offering free items to everyone, and pricing the few things they do sell cheaper than everyone). This will be a key first step for the government to try and destroy the internet.

The FTC must be destroyed, and quick.

eternity
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
I wonder who can destroy the internet faster; the FTC or the ISP's trying to cap the data stream and disallow network neutrality.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I wonder who can destroy the internet faster; the FTC or the ISP's trying to cap the data stream and disallow network neutrality.

Whoever wins, we lose.

I see this becoming a huge problem in the future. Comcast already caps downloads- which is a brilliant idea from their perspective. People are using Hulu and Netflix and Amazon to watch movies and TV shows rather than actually watching TV or buying off VOD. Comcast owns NBC, so they cap your download speeds so you don't switch 100% to internet viewing. It's brilliant. But when technology gets more advanced and we can stream everything in 1080p, (or at least 720p unscaled, ) no one will watch regular TV anymore. I hit 100+ GB download last month between Netflix, Stream downloads and Amazon.

[ETM]
06-27-2011, 01:00 PM
It's funny how so many are touting numbers like "99% of tablet internet traffic is from iPads" when it's painfully obvious that everyone is seemingly doing nothing but Netflix and other streaming on them. Perhaps networks should switch to providing "regular" internet, and internet providers could start peddling movies and TV shows.

Irish
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Thoughts on Google+?

Can't see how they'll get this off the ground.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2011, 06:46 PM
The only thing that can destroy Facebook?

http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/+/demo/

shaun
06-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm game to give it a try. Social networking sites have always seemed a bit clunky to me and a more natural integration with what you normally do online seems like a better road to take.

Twitter is by far the best medium for "subscribed" content delivery at the moment anyways.

number8
06-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Yep, twitter has basically replaced my RSS feed habits.

[ETM]
06-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I think that, unlike their previous half-baked attempts at social networking, Google have a well thought out and implemented system. It's probably been in the works for as long as there have been rumors about it, so I'm hoping it hits the ground running and convinces people it's worth it.

Irish
06-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Favorite reaction so far:

"Fundamentally, Google is a utility. No one wants to hang out at their power company." (@tomcoates (http://twitter.com/#!/tomcoates/status/85782655769116674))

[ETM]
06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Google has stopped being a utility ages ago. It's actually awesome that people still feel that way. It means Google is winning.

Irish
06-28-2011, 09:28 PM
;356534']Google has stopped being a utility ages ago.

Not at all. Search is their core business. Everything else they've tried has been moderately successful (Gmail, Reader) or an out and out failure (Wave, Buzz, Books, Video). Their biggest successes outside of search have been through acquisition (YouTube).

It's actually awesome that people still feel that way. It means Google is winning.

Winning what? Facebook and Twitter are a major threat to their entire revenue model.

@kottke (http://twitter.com/#!/jkottke/status/85772303727738880) recently asked if any large company has successfully launched a social platform.

The answer is "not really," because the network effect ends up biting you on the ass every time.

Ezee E
06-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Gmail is pretty widely used.

I also think the Google Music will take off once it's past its beta version. Otherwise, it's doing just fine with it's search engine and Chrome.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2011, 10:35 PM
It's doing just fine with:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/products/index.html

[ETM]
06-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Not at all. Search is their core business. Everything else they've tried has been moderately successful (Gmail, Reader) or an out and out failure (Wave, Buzz, Books, Video). Their biggest successes outside of search have been through acquisition (YouTube).

You are aware that they're doing Android, right? And Documents? And Chrome? And Chromium OS?

Irish
06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
It's doing just fine with:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/products/index.html

There's a difference between having a lot of products and having a lot of good, useful products that generate revenue (see: Microsoft, circa 1999).

Not sure I'd really point to stuff like Orkut and Picassa as wins for Google.

;356575']You are aware that they're doing Android, right? And Documents? And Chrome? And Chromium OS?

Docs is a good app. If it has any problems, it's that it is not feature complete and doesn't directly drive any revenue. Unlike Gmail, there are no ads attached to it.

Android was an acquisition. I'm not sure if they're operating it at a loss or if licensing fees are a significant revenue stream for them.

Chrome, if you're talking about the browser, is operated at a loss. It does drive search engine traffic, though, so at least that's something.

Chromium can't be counted either way because up until 2 weeks ago there were no products that shipped with it.

So what was your point again? None of these particularly refute the observation the Google is, at its heart, a utility company or that search is their core business.

[ETM]
06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
So what was your point again? None of these particularly refute the observation the Google is, at its heart, a utility company or that search is their core business.

No, what's your point? I never contested that claim, I was just saying that they're more than "power & gas", which is a ridiculous thing to say, no matter what their "core" is.

Dukefrukem
06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
There's a difference between having a lot of products and having a lot of good, useful products that generate revenue (see: Microsoft, circa 1999).

Not sure I'd really point to stuff like Orkut and Picassa as wins for Google.

Orkut is the only NON win on that page. It's a Brazilian social networking app that Google acquired I think. Picassa is amazing. Both the online photo storage and the application.

Irish
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
;356604']No, what's your point? I never contested that claim, I was just saying that they're more than "power & gas", which is a ridiculous thing to say, no matter what their "core" is.

Providing infrastructure for people (Search, Gmail, Docs) or companies (Android) pretty much defines "utility company."

In terms of search, their problem now -- aside from the fact that they've tried this 2-3 times before and failed at it -- do people want to hang out with a utility company?

Google+ has some good ideas around it, but people need a much stronger reason to sign up than just "being social," especially if there's no clear differentiation between product features (as with Facebook and Twitter).

Bootstrapping an entire social network is tough work when people don't have a compelling reason to join in the first place.

It's the difference between X-Box Live, Y! Groups, and Ping.

Irish
06-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Orkut is the only NON win on that page. It's a Brazilian social networking app that Google acquired I think. Picassa is amazing. Both the online photo storage and the application.

You've got your history backwards. Orkut was designed and implemented by Google in the US. It became bizarrely popular in Brazil and India years later, but it was originally intended to be a social network competitor to mySpace and Facebook.

Picassa might be an amazing app. I'm not sure what the usage numbers are, but I'm sure they're nowhere near Flickr, Facebook, and services like yfrog or twitpic. I don't think of it as a distinct win in the sense that it's not a market leader.

But, more pointedly, how many "products" on that page are directly tied to search?

Dukefrukem
06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Well that's why I said "I think". I knew Brazil had something to do with it.

It's clear you don't use any of these things so until you form an opinion on the usage rather than what's #1 and #2 on the market, I don't think you have a fair judgment of the products Google offers. The face recognition software in Picasa alone is enough to make it a better premium product than Flickr and those stupid twitter hosting sites. Facebook is getting face recognition soon too though.

[ETM]
06-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Providing infrastructure for people (Search, Gmail, Docs) or companies (Android) pretty much defines "utility company."

I'm pretty sure the company that provides your power doesn't also make your TV.

Irish
06-29-2011, 12:29 AM
It's clear you don't use any of these things so until you form an opinion on the usage rather than what's #1 and #2 on the market, I don't think you have a fair judgment of the products Google offers.

I used some of them, not others. I follow the market pretty closely though, so if Google was doing something that really caught fire, I'd have at least heard about it.

We're talking about a company of engineers that started out building web infrastructure. They did it well. They acquired some good companies. When they've strayed from their original mandate, they've done so with middlin' results.

Given that they've failed 2-3 times in the social sphere, I wouldn't count on Google+ to be any kind of enormous hit.

They're still fighting the network effect and from what I've seen so far, nothing in Google+ counteracts that.

Ezee E
06-29-2011, 02:45 AM
I took the tour. It basically has everything that people want facebook to do, and makes it pretty simple to do.

So facebook will be doing this in 6-12 months.

Competition is good.

ledfloyd
06-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Yep, twitter has basically replaced my RSS feed habits.
i use them both daily.

i'm always dubious about new social networks, i'm relatively happy with facebook, and with things like this it depends on how many people decide to use it. if all my friends are on facebook, and i think google+ is a bit better, i'm still probably going to use facebook until they decide to use google+

Ezee E
06-29-2011, 03:14 AM
i use them both daily.

i'm always dubious about new social networks, i'm relatively happy with facebook, and with things like this it depends on how many people decide to use it. if all my friends are on facebook, and i think google+ is a bit better, i'm still probably going to use facebook until they decide to use google+
This is why I don't think Google+ will succeed.

Dukefrukem
06-29-2011, 04:18 AM
myspace is closing shop soon. They just released a 1/3rd of their staff.

shaun
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Been playing around with Google+ a bit this morning. I really like that you can target updates to specific circles instead of a blanket broadcast.

Dukefrukem
06-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Been playing around with Google+ a bit this morning. I really like that you can target updates to specific circles instead of a blanket broadcast.

Send me an invite pleaseeee <3

Dukefrukem [at] gmail

shaun
06-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Should be there.

[ETM]
06-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Help a brotha' out? I'm budo.basovic[you know the rest].

[ETM]
06-30-2011, 06:13 PM
They're over capacity now, but should expand soon.

Dukefrukem
06-30-2011, 06:15 PM
We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.

shaun
06-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I got that last night and was able to get in this morning.

number8
07-01-2011, 01:02 AM
The gender dropdown has Male, Female and Other. ♥.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 01:34 AM
I'm loving the interface so far.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 02:05 AM
As am I.

What's everyone's Gmail?

Kurosawa Fan
07-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Someone invite me, dammit. I signed up to be kept posted, but haven't received an invitation.

number8
07-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Registration's closed. You won't be able to get it even if you have an invite code.

Kurosawa Fan
07-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Registration's closed. You won't be able to get it even if you have an invite code.

Son of a... any idea when it will open again?

Barty
07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
Dammit! I want an invite!

D_Davis
07-01-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm in. I don't get it.

D_Davis
07-01-2011, 05:20 AM
twincamakiko [at] gmail.com

Ezee E
07-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Dang. I thought signing up to be kept posted would be enough.

Barty
07-01-2011, 06:59 AM
moehle.stephen @ gmail.com

Apparently if one of you send me a message or add me on a circle it will send me an invite....

Thirdmango
07-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I've added everyone who has their email on here. I got this sometime yesterday.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 12:01 PM
how do you search for people via email? It seems all i can do is search for people by their name?

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 12:11 PM
It takes e-mails from your Gmail account, plus you can import Hotmail and Yahoo contacts. I suppose it presumes that if you want to add someone via e-mail, you already have them in your contacts list.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Well that's a stupid presumption no?

Also it's not clear how to change a photo of yourself in your existing picasa albums. I can't upload a pic, without sharing it immediately with everyone. Why do i need to share everything i do, the second I do it?

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Well that's a stupid presumption no?

What do you want to do, search by e-mail from some kind of open repository and add people? Perhaps they'll add it, but I don't see the problem, really.

Why do i need to share everything i do, the second I do it?

You mean like on Facebook?

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Btw, do you mean your profile image or what? I don't have existing Picasa albums so I'm not sure what you mean.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 12:35 PM
;357455']Btw, do you mean your profile image or what? I don't have existing Picasa albums so I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes that's what I mean. I have a stock image, and I want to update it with a photo already in my picasa albums. IT's not possible right now.

In facebook, you have the option of searching for people by their e-mail address. I don't know everyone's first and last name here, so do they expect people to add other people to circle?

Kurosawa Fan
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
kurosawafan18 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Raiders
07-01-2011, 01:14 PM
kurosawafan18 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Wait, didn't they suspend invites?

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes that's what I mean. I have a stock image, and I want to update it with a photo already in my picasa albums. IT's not possible right now.

Shouldn't the photos appear under "Your albums" when you go to change your profile pic? Also, as for sharing - just create an empty Circle, and share with no one.

In facebook, you have the option of searching for people by their e-mail address. I don't know everyone's first and last name here, so do they expect people to add other people to circle?

It's convenient in Facebook, but the whole point of Google+ is choosing who sees what part of your private information. I just went and added Barty to my Contacts in Gmail, with one click switched to Google+ and added him to my Circles.

Thirdmango
07-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Mine says I have invites and that I should just add people's emails, but no one has confirmed or denied whether they got an invite from me or not.

Kurosawa Fan
07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Apparently if one of you send me a message or add me on a circle it will send me an invite....

I was going by this, Raiders. Figured I'd post my email in case it works for those who haven't be invited yet.

Kurosawa Fan
07-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Mine says I have invites and that I should just add people's emails, but no one has confirmed or denied whether they got an invite from me or not.

I will let you know if you send me an invite.

Raiders
07-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, if it is working...

raiders1883 [at] gmail.com

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
About uploading images - the moment you create an album, it's online, but you don't have to share it at all: just click Cancel instead of Share, and it will remain visible to you only. This could have been clearer from the get go, but it is what it is. I'm adoring the privacy settings, though. I love how everything is easy to manage and really slick and fast. I love how you can set chat based on Circles, too, how you can edit your posts, how you can limit resharing, how you can disable others tagging you in photos. It's just... Facebook, but with everything a serious user ever wanted from it and never got, and much better code.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Export your Friends from Facebook to Google+ with this Chrome extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ficlccidpkaiepnnboobcmafnnfoom ga)

Robby P
07-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Got my invite. Love the privacy settings. So much smoother to operate and much sleeker looking. No annoying fucking ads. I dig.

Ezee E
07-01-2011, 02:56 PM
ericbialas at the gmail.

D_Davis
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
OK, so I started a Match-Cut circle. Hopefully some of you got invites?

D_Davis
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-MgcoFbDzVlA/Tg4R38WSqpI/AAAAAAAAAys/I_c0vkVbZic/ops.gif

Ezee E
07-01-2011, 10:41 PM
No invite :(

Yet I can do the +1's on my google browser. Weird.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 10:45 PM
No invite :(

Yet I can do the +1's on my google browser. Weird.

+1 is not exclusively a Google+ thing, it's something you can do with a basic Google account.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 10:56 PM
how do you search for people via email? It seems all i can do is search for people by their name?

BTW, when you go to Circles, click on "Add a new person" and you can search by both name and e-mail. I just added D_Davis in like three seconds.

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 11:48 PM
;357589']BTW, when you go to Circles, click on "Add a new person" and you can search by both name and e-mail. I just added D_Davis in like three seconds.

Yeh you can add them by e-mail but it doesn't link it to their account. It just sits there in gray. PLus I don't know everyone's full name so it looks goofy in my contact list. I like to keep things consistent.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 11:50 PM
It linked for me immediately, real name and profile pic and all.:confused:

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 11:51 PM
;357603']It linked for me immediately, real name and profile pic and all.:confused:

What the heck...

Dukefrukem
07-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I want to try a Match Cut video hangout.

[ETM]
07-01-2011, 11:58 PM
I want to try a Match Cut video hangout.

They say it works wonderfully.

Thirdmango
07-02-2011, 01:19 AM
yeah I added everyone too, I guess invites haven't gone out yet. :(

Raiders
07-02-2011, 01:39 AM
They've froze them due to "insane demand." Not sure when they'll reopen, but people are selling them on eBay.

Ezee E
07-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Got the invite, but you can't join for now.

Like the interface of it all. We'll see how well it works with people not in the tech world.

[ETM]
07-02-2011, 04:03 AM
We'll see how well it works with people not in the tech world.

I'm kinda hoping they stay out, at least for a while.

Btw, Mashable says they have confirmed with their sources that Facebook will be launching integrated Skype video calling next week.

Meh.

eternity
07-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Google+ is so close to Facebook that one line of CSS code makes the thing look nearly identical.

Awesome.

Kurosawa Fan
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Seems I can use Davis' post, which I was emailed, as a way to sign up, but unfortunately it's at capacity. I'll keep checking while I'm at work today.

Raiders
07-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Seems I can use Davis' post, which I was emailed, as a way to sign up, but unfortunately it's at capacity. I'll keep checking while I'm at work today.

Same here.

D_Davis
07-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Hmmm....that's lame.

Robby P
07-02-2011, 02:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SrmIX.png

D_Davis
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Heh...

[ETM]
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I got the same response when I got the first invite, but got in later when someone else who got in before me added me.

Fezzik
07-04-2011, 02:06 AM
I gotta admit, even after deciding to buy an iPad i was somewhat skeptical about how I'd feel when I was using it.

Damn....I don't know why I didn't get one sooner. It does everything I want it to do, and does all of them well.

As a bonus, having all my D&D books on the device in PDF format is a Godsend.

I am loving this thing, even if it makes me feel dirty saying so.

Raiders
07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
See shaun's post for Google+, but when you click "Join Google+" you still get the screen with the message box saying:

Google+ is in limited Field Trial
Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.

Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.

D_Davis
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
As a bonus, having all my D&D books on the device in PDF format is a Godsend.

We have 2 iPads in my gaming group, and it's great for manuals and stuff.

shaun
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
See shaun's post for Google+, but when you click "Join Google+" you still get the screen with the message box saying:It was worth a shot. I never had an Invite button so I created a circle for people who wanted Google+ invites and would then just send out a status update to that circle.

I'd check back every once in a while just in case.

number8
07-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey, someone send me an invite aryaponto@gmail.com, I'm testing a workaround.

number8
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Virgin Airlines departure gates at select airports now have Chromebooks you can take and use on their flights for free.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-travel-with-chromebook.html

Dukefrukem
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Hey, someone send me an invite aryaponto@gmail.com, I'm testing a workaround.

I adde you to a circle. Does that qualify as "inviting" you?"

number8
07-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I adde you to a circle. Does that qualify as "inviting" you?"

You'll have to go into the circle and send me a message by clicking "Share."

Dukefrukem
07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm not seeing where that is.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/Dukefrukem/GooglePlus.png

number8
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, heh, I didn't mean do it from inside the circle feature. You just write something, anything, on your stream and send it to your circle. There'll be a checkbox asking if you want to email the update to the friends not yet on Google+. This acts as an invite.

Dukefrukem
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Ok. I think I sent a "share" or whatever.

number8
07-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, nothing came. Weird.

Dukefrukem
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Hmmm, nothing came. Weird.

"The circle you're about to share with include 5 people who don't use Google+. Mike Beeckman, Eric Bialas, Raiders1883, Arya Ponto, Stephen"

Barty
07-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Google is just doing this to make us more antsy. Fuck you google, give me my +!

shaun
07-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Citing anonymous sources, the social-media blog said Google is planning to change the names of its Picasa photo management service and its Blogger blog platform to Google Photos and Google Blogs, respectively.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20076925-17/report-google-to-rebrand-blogger-picasa/#ixzz1RGBEfepT

Kurosawa Fan
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Four days later and I still can't use the invites I have. There is no way this will be worth the wait.

D_Davis
07-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Four days later and I still can't use the invites I have. There is no way this will be worth the wait.

It's not. I've already stopped using it. It is, literally, Facebook with a different skin, but without any of my friends. All it has done is further cluttered my gmail inbox with useless notifications.

D_Davis
07-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I just now deleted my Google+ profile.

Quick, someone try to log in, there might be a space available! :)

Ezee E
07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
It's not. I've already stopped using it. It is, literally, Facebook with a different skin, but without any of my friends. All it has done is further cluttered my gmail inbox with useless notifications.
Yeah, I'm trying to think of what the kicker could be. It's not in the early stages like myspace was when facebook took over it. Facebook's only issue that I can think of is privacy. And with that, he privacy issue is something that facebook has basically made the user responsible for. So it's not really facebook's fault.

What brought myspace down was its loading times, awful layout, and never improving itself.

All I see is facebook learning what works on google+ and using it later.

I'll give it a shot, but I don't really see it taking over facebook.

Watashi
07-05-2011, 10:47 PM
If you guys were the inventors of Google+, you'd have invented Google+.

Thirdmango
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah I've also stopped using google plus, I have no reason until others can be on it. Even then I'm sorta fulfilled on social networking. Man my afro is badass.

Irish
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
It is, literally, Facebook with a different skin, but without any of my friends.

I just now deleted my Google+ profile.

Gentleman, I present to you: The network effect, in action!

:pritch: