PDA

View Full Version : The Google/Android Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

D_Davis
07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Gentleman, I present to you: The network effect, in action!

:pritch:

Yep. What's the point of a social network in which there is very little social interaction?

Kurosawa Fan
07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
I really like the circles idea, so that I can control who sees what I post rather than Facebook's current system. Otherwise I don't really need another social networking site. One is fine for me.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Google+ to require that profiles be visible to all, will boot private profiles after July 31st (http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/06/google-to-require-that-profiles-be-visible-to-all-will-boot-pr/)

Kurosawa Fan
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah, my interest is pretty much lost at this point.

shaun
07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh. Well then I guess I'm deleting my profile.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
You guys are overreacting. There's nothing on these Google profiles except a picture a name and 4 lines of "personal information" that you don't even need to fill out.

Most people use random avatars on their google profile anyway.

Dukefrukem
07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
also

http://www.youtube.com/nexuscontraptions

shaun
07-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Mark Cuban put pics of his vintage computer poster collection up on Google+. It should be open to the public and it's pretty damn awesome.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106318111152683661692/albums/5626036325826615729?hl=en&tab=wX

number8
07-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Wait, Google Profile has nothing to do with Google+, does it? It's always been there. If you have a Google Account (Docs, Gmail, Calendar, whatever), you already have a visible Profile page automatically that links the services together, no?

[ETM]
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I've already stopped using it. It is, literally, Facebook with a different skin, but without any of my friends. All it has done is further cluttered my gmail inbox with useless notifications.

No it isn't, it's in a test phase so your friends will eventually get there (mine are pretty much all there already), and you can turn of all those notifications off with a few clicks. But whatever.

Ezee E
07-06-2011, 09:08 PM
;358640']No it isn't, it's in a test phase so your friends will eventually get there (mine are pretty much all there already), and you can turn of all those notifications off with a few clicks. But whatever.
What's better about it?

[ETM]
07-06-2011, 10:36 PM
What's better about it?

It's easier to list what's not better right now: it's not yet open to everyone. That's pretty much it from my viewpoint right now. When you strip away all the superfluous crap from Facebook, you're left with Google+, only with worse coding and without all the security and privacy settings of G+.

Irish
07-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm interested in seeing whether people will maintain identities on three separate systems simultaneously, even if for a short time.

Guessing they won't, which is going to be bad for G+ because superficially it's got too many overlapping features with Facebook.

Ezee E
07-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Guessing they won't, which is going to be bad for G+ because superficially it's got too many overlapping features with Facebook.

Which is what I've been saying.

And I don't understand the privacy issues. It's pretty damn easy to make everything private on facebook too if you want. It's just up to you to do it.

[ETM]
07-07-2011, 01:53 AM
And I don't understand the privacy issues. It's pretty damn easy to make everything private on facebook too if you want. It's just up to you to do it.

Imagine this: most of my real life friends and family speak South-Slavic languages. Most of my other, online friends don't. Everyone sees everything I post on Facebook. My current style is a strange mix of my native tongue and English and it's always frustrating.

Google+ Circles solves all that with one elegant stroke.

Also, one blogger put it well: "The bad news is - your mom will not join Google+... the good news is - your mom won't join Google+!"

shaun
07-07-2011, 03:05 AM
No more workaround.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2rp5ixe.jpg

Ezee E
07-07-2011, 06:07 AM
The bad thing is --- no one but nerds will join google+

The good thing is --- ?????? Facebook for people that want to be against facebook?

[ETM]
07-07-2011, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't say it's nerds... just people who are seriously tired of games their cousins play on Facebook, polls, "put this in your status" statuses, and other mundane stuff that clutters everyone's Facebook timeline. I'm not saying Google won't add similar things, but so far it looks as if they have other things in mind... things I like.

number8
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Whatever. I joined because the interface is better than Facebook and i already use Google services more often than I log into FB, so it's already more convenient to use. Regardless of whether or not I have to choose between te two, I'll probably still have a G+ profile.

Fezzik
07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
So, have they opened up invites again? If so, can someone send me one? I am seriously looking for an alternative to Facebook, something I'll actually use. I am on google all the time already, so its not like I'll be going out of my way.

Kurosawa Fan
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm finally signed up and will give it a go. Can't say I'll be around long-term, but it's worth exploring. It certainly isn't as if Facebook is the perfect answer to social networking.

Kurosawa Fan
07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
So, have they opened up invites again? If so, can someone send me one? I am seriously looking for an alternative to Facebook, something I'll actually use. I am on google all the time already, so its not like I'll be going out of my way.

What's your email? I'll send you one.

Raiders
07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm finally signed up and will give it a go. Can't say I'll be around long-term, but it's worth exploring. It certainly isn't as if Facebook is the perfect answer to social networking.

What??? It still shows me that same limit exceeded message.

:sad:

Kurosawa Fan
07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
What??? It still shows me that same limit exceeded message.

:sad:

I was able to sign up last night. Let me see if I send you an actual invite if you can join.

Kurosawa Fan
07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Sent one to your Verizon email.

Raiders
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Sent one to your Verizon email.

Got it. Would appear they have closed registration again as I got the same message.

Thanks anyway.

Ezee E
07-07-2011, 03:14 PM
;358824']I wouldn't say it's nerds... just people who are seriously tired of games their cousins play on Facebook, polls, "put this in your status" statuses, and other mundane stuff that clutters everyone's Facebook timeline. I'm not saying Google won't add similar things, but so far it looks as if they have other things in mind... things I like.
Don't like polls? Remove them with a click of a button.

Don't like someone's status updates? That's easy, you can put that on ignore too.

Really, I don' think people even know what you can do on facebook.

Robby P
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm starting to suspect that E is actually Mark Zuckerberg.

Fezzik
07-07-2011, 03:41 PM
What's your email? I'll send you one.

Sent in PM. Thanks in advance.

[ETM]
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Really, I don' think people even know what you can do on facebook.

I block new shit on Facebook every... single... day. I use everything at my disposal to optimize my experience and it still sucks.

megladon8
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I really like the idea of Google+ taking off so I can abandon FaceBook and stop supporting a mega asshole.

Irish
07-07-2011, 06:33 PM
;358951']I block new shit on Facebook every... single... day. I use everything at my disposal to optimize my experience and it still sucks.

^ This. They've got a helluva job managing all the data and I don't envy them, but the UI/UX experience on Facebook is fucking horrid.

All those options might be available, Ezee E, but they're difficult to find (buried under 3 submenus). Worse, some things (like lists) appear and disappear without warning).

Watashi
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Heh. (https://plus.google.com/104560124403688998123/posts?hl=en&tab=wX)

number8
07-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Heh. (https://plus.google.com/104560124403688998123/posts?hl=en&tab=wX)

https://plus.google.com/112063946124358686266/posts?tab=oX

Ezee E
07-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Sorry Daniel Swensen, but who are you?

ledfloyd
07-09-2011, 07:02 AM
i got this. there is nothing to do.

Kurosawa Fan
07-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry Daniel Swensen, but who are you?

That would be Qrazy, I believe.

[ETM]
07-09-2011, 01:40 PM
That would be Qrazy, I believe.

No, they're just using the same avatar. It's Aram Fingal from RT.

Kurosawa Fan
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh, ha! I thought it was way too cordial to be Qrazy. Makes much more sense now.

Irish
07-11-2011, 04:12 AM
Ok, finally grubbed an invite and .. what was the point of this again?

Love the interface, love circles ... but I know a total of one guy on the site (ie: somebody I'd actually call "friend" in real life).

Hehe, while typing this message I just saw a notification. Quick & easy comment system across all Google properties is pretty cool.

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:14 AM
I feel like I want Irish as a friend on Google+. Is this a possibility, or is Irish scared of the inevitable 3am flirting?

Irish
07-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Is this a possibility, or is Irish scared of the inevitable 3am flirting?

:lol: How do I add you? Or vice versa? I'm still in the Facebook sort of mode, not used to asynchronous friending like twitter.

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:28 AM
:lol: How do I add you? Or vice versa? I'm still in the Facebook sort of mode, not used to asynchronous friending like twitter.

My name is Chris Clark. My profile pic is of a cartoon guy holding a bunch of books.

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:29 AM
My name is Chris Clark. My profile pic is of a cartoon guy holding a bunch of books.

If I haven't made you hate me yet, you're free to add me, Match-Cutters.

*expects no adds*

Irish
07-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Do you eat babies? I think I found you (out of 714 Chris Clarks).

I have yet to see a regular person (ie, not someone with something to sell) post a public message. Which feels a little weird.

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Do you eat babies?

haha, yes!

Irish
07-11-2011, 04:50 AM
Okay, so, uh, what do we do now?

*stares at Brightside*

*uncomfortable silence*

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Okay, so, uh, what do we do now?

*stares at Brightside*

*uncomfortable silence*

I had my pants down and was ready to go at it, but you don't even have a picture of yourself on there. Suffice it to say, the disappointment ruined my night.

Irish
07-11-2011, 04:55 AM
I had my pants down and was ready to go at it, but you don't even have a picture of yourself on there.

:lol: :lol:

Just about fell out of my chair. definitely not the post I expected to read. :lol:

B-side
07-11-2011, 04:59 AM
:lol: :lol:

Just about fell out of my chair. definitely not the post I expected to read. :lol:

:P

Must be the most I've ever managed to make someone laugh. Usually people just stare at me like they're having a stroke when I try to be funny. Or, alternatively, online they simply don't acknowledge that I've attempted a joke of sorts. Probably better that way.

Irish
07-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Damn, they did a really nice freakin' job on the interface. Too bad there's nothing to read.

Not sure if I'm going to keep following certain folks who use "social media" to repost their site's content or sell their small business. I get so tired of that shit on twitter and facebook.

B-side
07-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Damn, they did a really nice freakin' job on the interface. Too bad there's nothing to read.

Not sure if I'm going to keep following certain folks who use "social media" to repost their site's content or sell their small business. I get so tired of that shit on twitter and facebook.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get by without being informed by 15 posts in a row that someone just unlocked a donkey on Farmville.

Irish
07-11-2011, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure how I'm going to get by without being informed by 15 posts in a row that someone just unlocked a donkey on Farmville.

Oh man my brother-in-law is waaaaaay into that shit. I quickly learned to block that app.

I'm sure the same kind of thing will happen on G+ once they open up a developer api.

Irish
07-11-2011, 05:40 AM
I'm just gonna keep reloading the feeds page until somebody posts something. :cry:

B-side
07-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm just gonna keep reloading the feeds page until somebody posts something. :cry:

That might be the saddest thing I've heard all day and I've been listening to Holocaust survivors contemplate suicide all day.

Irish
07-11-2011, 05:44 AM
:lol:

[ETM]
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Why don't YOU post something, motherfucker?

number8
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm getting kind of annoyed by the people criticizing Google+ because their friends aren't on it. Facebook is littered by these sentiments.

That's your job, stupid.

B-side
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm assuming this Mike character that added me is a Michigander. K-Fan, perhaps?

[ETM]
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm assuming this Mike character that added me is a Michigander. K-Fan, perhaps?

Yes.

Irish
07-11-2011, 06:18 PM
;359933']Why don't YOU post something, motherfucker?

I'm getting kind of annoyed by the people criticizing Google+ because their friends aren't on it. Facebook is littered by these sentiments.

That's your job, stupid.

I invited some people last night, but they're going to run into the same problem. "Hey, this is cool. What else can I do here?"

At least if you're on twitter with limited friends, you can still get something out of it by following celebs or news sites.

But asynchronous following doesn't work when more than half the people on the system are keeping their posts private.

It's a great site, but right now it feels like I showed up for a party 3 hours early.

number8
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Well, wait three hours then. So far, this has been a much faster transition process than when people switched from Friendster to Facebook.

Irish
07-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, wait three hours then.

Because that's always fun?

What do you expect to do when the key people in any given social circle never show up at the party? Continue to stick around?

number8
07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
You become the key people.

Ezee E
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Because that's always fun?

What do you expect to do when the key people in any given social circle never show up at the party? Continue to stick around?
It's in the beta stage for what it's worth. Otherwise, my posts indicated the same things you're complaining about. Just waiting for Google to release something that will separate it from facebook.

Irish
07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
You become the key people.

Except that social networks, online or offline, don't work that way.

If I show up for a party early and my girlfriend doesn't, my becoming "key" won't make up for her absence.

Irish
07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
It's in the beta stage for what it's worth. Otherwise, my posts indicated the same things you're complaining about. Just waiting for Google to release something that will separate it from facebook.

Fair enough. Whether G+ can compete on feature parity is almost irrelevant. What they're really fighting is the network effect and a certain kind of social media exhaustion.

Given its structure, and despite the usability of "circles," I wouldn't be surprised if G+ became siloed. Meaning, people use the service for one specific purpose (Facebook is for family, G+ is for professional, twitter is for immediacy).

Because otherwise, I can't see anyone fully engaging with 3 services at the same time, or looking at them as if its a zero sum game.

DavidSeven
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
The smartest thing Facebook ever did was implement a Newsfeed. The initial social media sites failed primarily because they didn't have the network capacity. But they also failed because once you stalked all of your friends profiles, there wasn't a whole lot to do with them. You had a reason to leave after the novelty wore off because you had to put in a lot of legwork to find new content. Facebook's reliable network structure and the way it is able bombard its users with continuing stream of new content is probably going to stop it from losing market share anytime soon. I imagine G+ might be able to find a niche somewhere, and maybe that's all Google really expects it to do.

number8
07-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Over 10 million users in just two weeks. It's expected to double by the end of this week.

It's the fastest growing social media site ever.

Raiders
07-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Over 10 million users in just two weeks. It's expected to double by the end of this week.

In fairness, online social media is a lot more prevalent now than it was even when Facebook opened up. It is so ingrained in us now that it isn't likely to phase anyone to sign up for another one. Whether they stick with it or just have empty shell profiles and keep using Facebook is the real question.

bac0n
07-12-2011, 07:41 PM

I'll be interested in seeing what their retention rate winds up being after a few months.

Irish
07-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I'll be interested in seeing what their retention rate winds up being after a few months.

You'll never see those numbers. Google will eventually consider anyone who logs into their umbrella services as an active member, as long as they have a profile.

Much the same way Facebook counts an "active" user as someone who clicks "like" on a webpage or leaves a comment, regardless of whether they ever actually visit facebook.com.

megladon8
07-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm really digging Android.

eternity
07-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Every "good" thing I hear about Google+ seems the exact opposite to me. The interface is crap, there's nothing special about it that Facebook doesn't already do better, and it's UGLY.

D_Davis
07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Every "good" thing I hear about Google+ seems the exact opposite to me. The interface is crap, there's nothing special about it that Facebook doesn't already do better, and it's UGLY.

Yeah, but it's cool because it's Google and not Facebook.

You're still on Facebook? I use Google+.

Anyhow, I'm going back to IRC.

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Yup.

Irish
07-13-2011, 02:25 AM

I find the UI much cleaner than facebook's. It's debatable that facebook does anything really better (circles, to me, is much more intuitive and easier than adjusting facebook's ever changing and byzantine rules, lists and groups).

Right now, I'm enjoying the uncluttered pages and the lack of frivolous gaming apps, not to mention ads.

Of course, nobody is actually posting to it, which makes it sorta useless. But still. :lol:

shaun
07-13-2011, 02:27 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/27yofhx.jpg

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 02:33 AM
See, it's way simpler.

[ETM]
07-13-2011, 10:11 AM
The interface is crap, there's nothing special about it that Facebook doesn't already do better, and it's UGLY.

No, no and HELL NO. I mean, come on, that's not even remotely true. There's personal preference, and then there's just plain wrong.

Fezzik
07-13-2011, 12:24 PM
So...Im finally on Google+

How do I find you guys? I wish you search for circles as well as People.

Kurosawa Fan
07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Search for me, Mike Beeckman. Find me, and then I think you can find everyone else on here from my Match Cut circle.

Ezee E
07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
All roads lead to Beeckman.

Kurosawa Fan
07-13-2011, 09:26 PM
All roads lead to Beeckman.

I don't know what this means, but I like it.

[ETM]
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Looks like much requested features and tweaks might be coming pretty soon. (http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/google-is-being-tweaked-this-week-based-on-user-feedback-20110711/)

shaun
07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Nested commentsGood
Lifting of the 5000 circle cap (really?)Well done, beta tester. Well done.

megladon8
07-14-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm not joining Google+ until I know it's here for good, and is officially replacing FaceBook.

I spent a long time making my MySpace, then FaceBook came along, got even bigger, and now I haven't touched MySpace in more than 2 years.

[ETM]
07-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Sticking with one service is overrated. Every time I thought I had invested too much time and effort into something, and could never leave it, it turned out it was easy.

Robby P
07-14-2011, 12:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wv30D.png

It's funny because it's true.

DavidSeven
07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
User Stats on Google Plus (http://www.findpeopleonplus.com/statistics)

Probably shouldn't surprise people that it's a tech-geek sausage fest so far.

Irish
07-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Probably shouldn't surprise people that it's a tech-geek sausage fest so far.

twitter and reddit started out the same way. (The only difference is that they were bringing something relatively new to the scene. Debatable about G+.)

[ETM]
07-14-2011, 02:10 AM
G+ is integrating several of Google's services you're most likely already using, which could prove a game changer in this case. Video and text chat were already seamlessly integrated into Gmail and overall worked much better than in Facebook or Twitter, IMO. There's also Android, and Documents, and Picassa... Google has a larger ecosystem with more options for integration and synergy than Facebook ever even thought of attempting.

megladon8
07-14-2011, 03:01 AM
;360718']Sticking with one service is overrated. Every time I thought I had invested too much time and effort into something, and could never leave it, it turned out it was easy.

It's not that I think I can never leave it, it's that I'm going to wait and see if Google+ actually sticks around before I migrate over.

D_Davis
07-14-2011, 03:05 AM
I just don't care. Over the last couple of years, I've felt this creeping technological malaise seeping into my life, and I've grown uncomfortable with how "social networks" have made people actually less social IRL, and how they've turned friendship into a commodity trading connections for advertising dollars.

It's weird.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 05:35 AM
I just don't care. Over the last couple of years, I've felt this creeping technological malaise seeping into my life, and I've grown uncomfortable with how "social networks" have made people actually less social IRL, and how they've turned friendship into a commodity trading connections for advertising dollars.

It's weird.
Disagree. I think it's reunited friendships even moreso. Long lost friends now see each other.

Milky Joe
07-14-2011, 06:40 AM
So I'm on this now (if anyone cares). I like the Circles concept and the cleaner interface. So if you get added by a guy with sunglasses and a goofy expression, that's me.

D_Davis
07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Disagree. I think it's reunited friendships even moreso. Long lost friends now see each other.

But are you really friends? I think word has become cheapened.

Dukefrukem
07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wv30D.png

It's funny because it's true.

:confused: There's 10 million people on it and they said there should be 20 million by the end of this weekend.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 03:54 PM
But are you really friends? I think word has become cheapened.
If I hang out in person with them, then yes.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
:confused: There's 10 million people on it and they said there should be 20 million by the end of this weekend.
That comic is absolutely correct.

Facebook has 750 million to put things in context.

Dukefrukem
07-14-2011, 04:09 PM
That comic is absolutely correct.

Facebook has 750 million to put things in context.

Yeh and it took 7 years to get there. Google+ had 10 million users after a week. 20 Million after opening up for a 2nd weekend.

Remember when there were only 15 schools selected for facebook and it was a really cool cliche? Oh wait no because you weren't invited for that. It was Ivy League and Boston schools only. It was awesome. Google+ is even awesomer than that was.

Ezee E
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Dukefrukem
07-14-2011, 04:16 PM
In all seriousness, I feel like Google+ is better for 'acquaintances' who you frequently contact via e-mail rather than your close friends on FB. The circles thingy is the obvious draw. I will continue to use both.

ledfloyd
07-17-2011, 02:49 AM
i've added a bunch of you guys so if you've been accosted by an unaccounted for justin it was probably me.

Dukefrukem
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
google shutting down Labs??? :(

Raiders
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
google shutting down Labs??? :(

Yep. It goes along with Larry Page's earlier statements about streamlining Google's focus behind a few major products.

Dukefrukem
07-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Google music is now available for linux

Dukefrukem
07-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Uh oh.

Madge Weinstein just tweeted,

Just happened to me- but they not only suspended gplus, but rather all google services incl gmail! The notice just said i violated TOS- nothing specific.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/google-plus-deleting-accounts-en-masse-no-clear-answers/567?tag=mantle_skin;content

Thirdmango
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I HATE site integration. The reason I stopped using google reader was because I had all my reader stuff on a different email then my main one and I couldn't be signed in to both. Then google disallowed you to be signed into personal emails and work emails that were both under googles umbrella. Now today I can't be signed into my youtube account because it's linked to a different gmail and thus have to once again start over because it's not the same as my dumb personal email. I sign up for this stuff not using my personal email solely so my personal email isn't out there for these companies to do with what they will and then google site integrates and no longer allows me to do it. God, it's so annoying.

Spun Lepton
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Actually looking forward to Google+ becoming the standard so I can weed out a bunch of "friends" whom I don't care for any more. (*looks at bac0n*)

Just kidding, it's different people. Vegans.

Suppose I could just unfriend them in Facebook. But ... I have no excuse, really. I guess I'd just rather fade from view. Or something. Shut up.

Also, it allows me the opportunity to un-friend my mother, who I never should've friended in the first place. :|

Dukefrukem
07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Thirdmango, are you worried you going to start getting spam in your personal e-mail? If so, I think you can rest assured that your e-mail will be safe. I am using every google service and was part of the beta in 04. I haven't received a single spam e-mail that bothered me in the 7 years I've been using this service. It all goes straight to the spam folder.

Thirdmango
07-27-2011, 12:40 PM
That's not really the worry, the trouble is that I have to start over or use two browsers simply because when I first signed up I didn't use the main email. Same thing happened with Blogger. I was a big blogger but then it turned to google signing in and I used a different email and couldn't transfer it over, so to blog and be signed in to my personal email I had to use two seperate browsers. I have my current youtube which has like 200 favorites and the only way to sign in is to use another browser or log out of my personal email then log in then log back out to use my personal email.

The worry before the site integration was that I just didn't want to receive emails so I would use dummy accounts. Maybe if I had predicted correctly that blogger and youtube would coexist with youtube this problem never would have occurred. Bah.

Dukefrukem
07-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I have all my accounts forwarded to one e-mail account that i use as a funnel for my personal e-mail.

My personal e-mail is used for every google application, but i have a work e-mail, a gaming e-mail and several others so I can use them for specific uses.

Dukefrukem
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Made by M$

OrkAuwaoFGg

[ETM]
07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
That's horrible. Does Microsoft think we forgot and forgave everything, and that they are somehow cool now?

Dukefrukem
07-29-2011, 12:51 PM
;364023']That's horrible. Does Microsoft think we forgot and forgave everything, and that they are somehow cool now?

They're trying to make peopel care that personalized ads exist. Which you can turn off btw.

number8
08-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I have like 148 unused invites. It feels like a waste.

https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/ngemlink?path=%2F%3Fgpinv%3Dzh oJi_NhXcA%3AzaiUtMYYb0w

Have at 'em.

number8
08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Google+ is adding games. So much for that, then.

[ETM]
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Google+ is adding games. So much for that, then.

I haven't been able to locate them. Success.

number8
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
;366943']I haven't been able to locate them. Success.

They're slowly rolling it out, so not everyone has them yet. The only games on it right now are Angry Birds and Poker.

number8
08-12-2011, 04:35 PM
They're slowly rolling it out, so not everyone has them yet. The only games on it right now are Angry Birds and Poker.

Nevermind. I got 16 games.

Ezee E
08-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Well, it was a valiant effort.

[ETM]
08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Jesus tits God America, Google buys Motorola Mobility for $12.5 billion (http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/15/google-acquiring-motorola-mobility/).

Say hello to Motorola's 17,000 patents coming to Google's arsenal, and Motorola-built phones and tablets fully sanctioned by Google.:pritch:

Dukefrukem
08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Insane move. Insane as in awesome. It was the right decision for Google.

number8
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Fuck cell phones and tablets, dude. Motorola Mobility runs their cable division. How many cable companies in the US use Motorola set top boxes and modems?

Dukefrukem
08-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Fuck cell phones and tablets, dude. Motorola Mobility runs their cable division. How many cable companies in the US use Motorola set top boxes and modems?

All of them except for Verizon Fios?

[ETM]
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Motorola Mobility runs their cable division.

Does it?

number8
08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
;367399']Does it?

It does.

[ETM]
08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, that certainly opens up a whole lot of opportunities. Google is definitely going on an offensive, big time.

KK2.0
08-17-2011, 01:08 AM
If the decision was based on phones/tablets, they would have bought HTC imo.

I like my Android, but I can't deny that Windows Phone 7 looks interesting and as a former Nokia user i'm curious about their new partnership.

Dukefrukem
08-17-2011, 01:25 AM
If the decision was based on phones/tablets, they would have bought HTC imo.

It wasn't.

KK2.0
08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I know Duke, hence the "if"

more food for thought- 11 thoughts on the motorola buyout (http://gdgt.com/discuss/11-thoughts-on-google-buying-motorola-mobility-flj/) the guy a lil pessimistic btw

and in Apple fail news- Apple fakes evidence in it's Lawsuit against Samsung (http://www.pcworld.com/article/238047/apple_offers_flawed_evidence_i n_lawsuit_against_samsung.html )

Dukefrukem
08-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Anyone get their hads on a $99 touchpad? I'm still looking and will post here if I find one.

Irish
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
8 called it. Check out those Google Fiber numbers.

Google's Irresistible Potential as an Alternative to Cable
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/business/2011/08/googles-irresistible-potential-alternative-cable/41552/

number8
08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Fucking Kansas City. Bring Google Fiber to NY come on. :sad:

number8
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I would also like it if they buy Hulu and retire their shitty player and just have all content play on YouTube players.

Irish
08-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Hm.

"Online search engine Google Inc. has agreed to forfeit $500 million for allowing online Canadian pharmacies to place advertisements through its AdWords program targeting consumers in the United States, resulting in the unlawful importation of controlled and non-controlled prescription drugs into the United States ... Google was aware as early as 2003, that generally, it was illegal for pharmacies to ship controlled and non-controlled prescription drugs into the United States from Canada."

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/August/11-dag-1078.html

KK2.0
08-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone get their hads on a $99 touchpad? I'm still looking and will post here if I find one.

can you hack a touchpad and install other OS?

there's a youtube video of a touchpad running android, but it looks fake.

Dukefrukem
08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
can you hack a touchpad and install other OS?

there's a youtube video of a touchpad running android, but it looks fake.

It's currently in the works to run Android. that is why I am buying one.

ANd it looks like mine is shipping. I bought it full price on Sears.com for $425 and called their CS dept and they credited me $325

Kurosawa Fan
08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
It's currently in the works to run Android. that is why I am buying one.

ANd it looks like mine is shipping. I bought it full price on Sears.com for $425 and called their CS dept and they credited me $325

How did you manage to pull this off? What did you tell the CS dept?

number8
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Heh, Facebook completely followed Google+ and added location and privacy with every status update.

number8
09-28-2011, 03:23 PM
This is bizarre. Google has a celebrity gaydar feature.

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=is+dan+savage+gay%3F

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&safe=active&site=&source=hp&q=is+angelina+jolie+gay

Dukefrukem
09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Doesn't always work tho. (https://encrypted.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=is+dan+savage+gay%3F#sclient =psy-ab&hl=en&safe=off&source=hp&q=is+tom+cruise+gay%3F&pbx=1&oq=is+tom+cruise+gay%3F&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2711l2711l3l2927l1l1l0l 0l0l0l130l130l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=22170750d58d86a2&biw=1261&bih=901)

number8
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Well, yeah, it's ambiguous.

Sycophant
09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
It's been turned off already?

They do the same thing for celebrity heights, which is sometimes handy.

shaun
10-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Leaked Nexus Prime specs, Verizon exclusive apparently.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/06/samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-specs-revealed-verizon-wireless-exclusive/

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
1,750 mAh battery

Kurosawa Fan
10-06-2011, 03:24 PM

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/06/samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-specs-revealed-verizon-wireless-exclusive/

Yeah, that'll make my phone decision easy.

Acapelli
10-06-2011, 03:30 PM
that will be my new phone

Dukefrukem
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM

That's my phone. YES!

Dukefrukem
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
The best part?

pure Google Experience device without any third-party UI or modifications

[ETM]
10-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, being the first Ice Cream Sandwich device, no wonder they had no time to ruin modify it.

Raiders
10-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah... that's pretty compelling. I have three months to think this all over.

[ETM]
10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I have to say, I really like the curved touchscreens, I really enjoyed handling my friend's Nexus S. It just feels more direct and natural.

[ETM]
10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Good news: both Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich look fantastic.
DvsXyeY0HVE

Bad news: They're both postponed. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/samsung-and-google-postpone-ice-cream-sandwich-and-galaxy-nexus/)

I'm guessing they don't feel as threatened now that the iPhone 4S is out, so they decided not to put anything out prematurely.

Kurosawa Fan
10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm fine with that. Not getting anything new until January, so I'd rather they take their time and get everything right than rush to market just for the sake of competition.

Dukefrukem
10-07-2011, 03:40 PM
;376277']Good news: both Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich look fantastic.
DvsXyeY0HVE

Bad news: They're both postponed. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/samsung-and-google-postpone-ice-cream-sandwich-and-galaxy-nexus/)

I'm guessing they don't feel as threatened now that the iPhone 4S is out, so they decided not to put anything out prematurely.

This phone is going to be so expensive. Like... $300 on a new plan expensive.

Irish
10-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow.

Google, Samsung Cancel Launch Event.

http://allthingsd.com/20111007/samsung-google-cancel-launch-event-out-of-respect-for-steve-jobs-sources-say/

Dukefrukem
10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow.

Google, Samsung Cancel Launch Event.

http://allthingsd.com/20111007/samsung-google-cancel-launch-event-out-of-respect-for-steve-jobs-sources-say/

as posted by ETM

Acapelli
10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
$300 with the plan may be out of my price range. really wasn't looking to spend more than $200 with the 2-year commitment

Dukefrukem
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Fuck. I'm waiting for the Nexus Prime to be released, but Amazon is having a $0.01 sale on all phones when you sign up for a 2 year contract (http://wireless.amazon.com/f/pennypincher/ref=amb_link_357765002_2?ie=UT F8&pf_rd_m=A1HBSU70BXNZUG&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=08TVAW2XARY1H347PZMD&pf_rd_p=1323293422&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=G001).

HTC Thunderbolt is $0.01? Tempting. Weighing my options now.

Kurosawa Fan
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
Fuck. I'm waiting for the Nexus Prime to be released, but Amazon is having a $0.01 sale on all phones when you sign up for a 2 year contract (http://wireless.amazon.com/f/pennypincher/ref=amb_link_357765002_2?ie=UT F8&pf_rd_m=A1HBSU70BXNZUG&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=08TVAW2XARY1H347PZMD&pf_rd_p=1323293422&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=G001).

HTC Thunderbolt is $0.01? Tempting. Weighing my options now.

That sale is only for a new line. If you already have Verizon, you're out of luck.

[ETM]
10-13-2011, 11:03 PM
The Ice Cream Sandwich + Samsung Super-phone event is back on for the 19th.
It will be broadcast live at youtube.com/android

Dukefrukem
10-14-2011, 01:47 AM
That sale is only for a new line. If you already have Verizon, you're out of luck.

There's a loophole where they actually give you a number and you don't need to activate it and you can use the phone on your existing line. I've done this before.

Kurosawa Fan
10-14-2011, 02:06 AM
There's a loophole where they actually give you a number and you don't need to activate it and you can use the phone on your existing line. I've done this before.

Seriously??? How is this done? PM me the details, please.

Benny Profane
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Is it too early to say Google+ is a total failure?

I didn't create my own profile, just checked out a friends. Can't really figure out what the point of it is.

number8
10-14-2011, 01:50 PM
The same as Facebook. Pick your poison.

[ETM]
10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't understand people who "don't understand what it's for", or insist on it being a "failure".

Benny Profane
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
The same as Facebook. Pick your poison.

But it's not the same if there aren't as many people joining. I checked a few of my friends who have over 500 FB friends but less than 30 on Google. Small sample size, I know.

number8
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
But it's not the same if there aren't as many people joining. I checked a few of my friends who have over 500 FB friends but less than 30 on Google. Small sample size, I know.

Some people prefer it that way. Like I said, pick your poison. The function is still the same.

Benny Profane
10-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Some people prefer it that way.

OK, but I doubt Google does.

Dukefrukem
10-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Seriously??? How is this done? PM me the details, please.

There's no secrecy around it. When you call to sign up for it, you tell them you don't want the phone activated on that number. You're not paying for service on a deactivated number.

Ezee E
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Definitely a failure as far as its intention. It's just an ideamaker for facebook.

I understand that its initial numbers of signups outdid google. I just wonder out of that percentage of people, how many continue to use it every day.

I haven't checked mine in months. And see no reason to.

Dukefrukem
10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Definitely a failure as far as its intention. It's just an ideamaker for facebook.

I understand that its initial numbers of signups outdid google. I just wonder out of that percentage of people, how many continue to use it every day.

I haven't checked mine in months. And see no reason to.

Since I have Gmail, Reader and my Calendar pinned / open 24/7, it's easy to see updates in the right hand corner of those two pages.

Kurosawa Fan
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
There's no secrecy around it. When you call to sign up for it, you tell them you don't want the phone activated on that number. You're not paying for service on a deactivated number.

But isn't it $10 a month to add another line? If so, that defeats the purpose of saving for the phone.

Dukefrukem
10-14-2011, 05:34 PM
But isn't it $10 a month to add another line? If so, that defeats the purpose of saving for the phone.

Not really. You're paying $10 instead of $200 upfront. This is for only for people who switch phones so often... like I do. So yeh, after two years you'll play $240. Are you going to care about that $40 24 months from now? Or Verizon allows you to upgrade after 18 months... so you'd only be paying $180.

Ezee E
10-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Since I have Gmail, Reader and my Calendar pinned / open 24/7, it's easy to see updates in the right hand corner of those two pages.
Of course it's easy to read updates. There are none. :lol:

Kurosawa Fan
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Not really. You're paying $10 instead of $200 upfront. This is for only for people who switch phones so often... like I do. So yeh, after two years you'll play $240. Are you going to care about that $40 24 months from now? Or Verizon allows you to upgrade after 18 months... so you'd only be paying $180.

It's not for me. I'd much rather pay for the phone in one pop than increase my monthly bills. I can see the appeal though.

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 07:38 PM
So... Motorola dropped some new stuff ahead of tonight's Samsung event...

Motorola Droid RAZR, 7mm thick, stainless steel and diamond-cut aluminium frame, kevlar back panel, Gorilla Glass front, spill-proof, incredibly light; microSD memory expansion, miniHD video out, 8MP camera with 1080p video recording; 1.2GHz dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 4.3" qHD (960x540) SuperAMOLED screen, Android Gingerbread with some nifty software additions and business apps and Netflix HD streaming...

$299, preorders from Oct. 24th...

http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/13-Motorola-DROID-RAZR.jpg

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeh they also announced a Nano rip-off, which might be the answer to getting away from the iPod and iTunes entirely

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/jrv24img8615-1.jpg

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeh they also announced a Nano rip-off

Not really, or not at all.
Sure, it's small, square, with a screen, but it beats the Nano in functionality in multiple ways. It's also more expensive.
Basically, the Nano is a music player with tacked on exercise functionality. This is the opposite, and quite a bit more serious.

Irish
10-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
;378897']Not really, or not at all.
Sure, it's small, square, with a screen, but it beats the Nano in functionality in multiple ways. It's also more expensive.
Basically, the Nano is a music player with tacked on exercise functionality. This is the opposite, and quite a bit more serious.

Plain and simple, it's a nano-rip off.

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Plain and simple, it's a nano-rip off.

This is waterproof, sweat-proof, has GPS, bluetooth for music and calls, a 600MHz processor, syncs automatically over WiFi when you're in range of your home network... Nano also doesn't measure your heart rate, choose music based on your exercise rhythm etc. It's feature set is more in line with stuff like the $350 Garmin 310XT (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27335&ra=true) with added music functionality than anything Apple made. Plus, it's not like Motorola developed this in the past month. The original Nano couldn't do half the things the new one does. They hadn't even thought of the watch bracelet by themselves.

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
;378909']...

This is waterproof, sweat-proof, has GPS, bluetooth for music and calls, a 600MHz processor, syncs automatically over WiFi when you're in range of your home network... Nano also doesn't measure your heart rate, choose music based on your exercise rhythm etc. It's feature set is more in line with stuff like the $350 Garmin 310XT (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27335&ra=true) with added music functionality than anything Apple made. Plus, it's not like Motorola developed this in the past month. The original Nano couldn't do half the things the new one does. They hadn't even thought of the watch bracelet by themselves.

Because it has more features than an iPod Nano doesn't make it any less of an iPod Nano rip-off. It's a MP3 player in a square shape. Apple came out with it first. Moto took their design and expanded it. What’s the problem here? Are you just arguing the term “rip off”? If I had said it was a Nano descendant would you still argue that? What do you think an HTC Incredible was? What did a Xoom do?

[ETM]
10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
You're pulling my leg, okay.

Dukefrukem
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I want one.

Sycophant
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
"Rip off" is a pretty derogatory term, yo.

Spun Lepton
10-18-2011, 11:19 PM
The only non-rip-off thing that exists in Duke's world is the Duke Nukem video game franchise.

[ETM]
10-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Google and Samsung just KILLED it with the Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich. That is all.

Dukefrukem
10-19-2011, 12:09 PM
I love using the term "rip off"

Yeh... I was really really really considering giving up on phones entirely. But my inner nerd just went into full throttle....

I LOVE ANDROID BEAM!

[ETM]
10-20-2011, 03:07 AM
ASUS Transformer Prime (heh) - quad-core Tegra 3 CPU (Kal-El), 8mm thick, 10" :pritch:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/asustransformer22011-10-2010-1319077610.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/asustransformer22011-10-202-1319077524.jpg

Sycophant
10-20-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm not sure who that guy is, but I like 'im.

Thirdmango
10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
My google plus I have 120 friends. That's the amount I wish I had on facebook cause I have too many facebook friends.

[ETM]
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm not sure who that guy is, but I like 'im.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mossberg

Dukefrukem
10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
;379224']ASUS Transformer Prime (heh) - quad-core Tegra 3 CPU (Kal-El), 8mm thick, 10" :pritch:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/asustransformer22011-10-2010-1319077610.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/asustransformer22011-10-202-1319077524.jpg

This is brilliant!

Ezee E
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure who he is either, but I bet he's like, "The fuck is this? I wanted an iPad."

[ETM]
10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Srsly guys? I thought AllThingsDigital was pretty high profile. And it was an interview with the ASUS chairman Jonney Shih: http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/asus-jonney-shih-unveils-transformer-2-at-asiad/

And I'm sure Mossberg wouldn't mind a quad-core tablet thinner than the iPad 2, which also turns into a ultra-portable laptop.

Sycophant
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
It's probably pretty high profile, but I don't pay attention to this stuff.

As a side note, do we really need three separate tech company threads?

Dukefrukem
10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes. Yes we do.

Spun Lepton
10-20-2011, 04:42 PM
;379224']ASUS Transformer Prime (heh) - quad-core Tegra 3 CPU (Kal-El), 8mm thick, 10" :pritch:

What a ripoff.

[ETM]
10-20-2011, 05:17 PM
What a ripoff.

:pritch:

Ezee E
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm saying it with jest.

Dukefrukem
10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Google may buy Yahoo!

:eek:

D_Davis
10-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Every time I read something about Yahoo!, I'm always surprised that it's still a thing.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
dislike new thread title

[ETM]
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
These are the Droids you're looking for.

Dukefrukem
11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/11/mobilebrowser.jpg

Ezee E
11-02-2011, 04:03 PM
What the heck is Symbian

[ETM]
11-02-2011, 04:08 PM
What the heck is Symbian

Yeah, you guys missed out on the first smartphone craze.
I bet lots of Americans think Apple invented the smartphone altogether.

Ezee E
11-02-2011, 04:11 PM
;381663']Yeah, you guys missed out on the first smartphone craze.
I bet lots of Americans think Apple invented the smartphone altogether.
I don't really care to be honest.

Sycophant
11-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Fucking Americans!

Sycophant
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm wondering about how Google is behaving right now. Sure, most people won't miss Buzz (save for a couple communities, one of which I was tangentially involved with, in who came together and thrived on it), but their shutdown of Reader's community features seems like it's gonna alienate and irritate more users than it will convert to Google+.

Winston*
11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
How many Americans does it take to turn on an iPhone?

[ETM]
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't really care to be honest.

You cared enough to type that post.
I'm using a Symbian phone right now, so I cared enough to answer.

[ETM]
11-02-2011, 10:41 PM
How many Americans does it take to turn on an iPhone?

Just one. It's custom built for easier use.

Ezee E
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
;381787']You cared enough to type that post.
I'm using a Symbian phone right now, so I cared enough to answer.
Nah. Symbian, yes. The first ever smartphone? No.

:)

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Go to Google and search "do a barrel roll". Just do it.

Thirdmango
11-03-2011, 05:11 PM
That is really fun.

I also don't care what the first smart phone is and would probably still ask what the heck symbian is. ;)

Raiders
11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
So as to not be an ass and answer E's post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian

Looks like it is the OS for Nokia's smartphones.

I also know for a fact that IBM had the first "smartphone" so I'm not sure what the dig at Americans and Symbian had to do with eachother.

number8
11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
I remember the Symbian. I was a Nokia user since the late 90's up to the iPhone's arrival, but I wasn't in the US then and everybody had Nokias and Ericcsons in Asia back then. I know it's a rare device here, so I don't really fault anyone for not knowing what the hell it is.

[ETM]
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Several Nokia Symbian handsets were hits in the US (E71 comes to mind).
The N-Gage phones were running Symbian, too.

I'm still using a Sony Ericsson w950i, which is a Symbian UIQ3 device. UIQ3 was dead even before Symbian itself got the shaft.

Also, I should point out that it's not about "the first smartphone" - it's about dozens of models and hundreds of apps, and awesome functionality for what's essentially antiquated hardware by today's standards. There's wouldn't even be a market for today's smartphones if not for the decade of development that came before.

D_Davis
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Fucking Americans!

They're so fucking stupid. Foreign people are so, like, way better.

Raiders
11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
;381970']I'm still using a Sony Ericsson w950i, which is a Symbian UIQ3 device. UIQ3 was dead even before Symbian itself got the shaft.

From the w950 wikipedia page...

Problems
Connectivity has been an ongoing problem with the UIQ3 suite of phones from Sony Ericsson and the Mac OS X iSync utility that Mac users use to synchronise a mobile phone with the computer. As of February 2008 there are still widespread problems reported with these phones for Mac users.

Aha! :lol:

[ETM]
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
They're so fucking stupid. Foreign people are so, like, way better.

You're the fucking foreign people!:lol:

@Raiders - Who cares about Mac? :lol: Works perfectly on Windows out of the box, including unlimited tethering etc.

Dukefrukem
11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
;381976']

@Raiders - Who cares about Mac? :lol: Works perfectly on Windows out of the box, including unlimited tethering etc.

This reminds me of this - The iPhone is a piece of shit, and
so is your face (http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone)

That came out in 07 so the chart at the bottom isn't accurate anymore, but it's still funny.

Dukefrukem
11-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Nook Color updated to battle the Kindle - $199 - Netflix, HULU, Pandora

Does this thing run Android?

[ETM]
11-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Nook Color updated to battle the Kindle - $199 - Netflix, HULU, Pandora

Does this thing run Android?

Yes. A heavily skinned version.
BUT it can be rooted and flashed to full-fledged Honeycomb.
It's one of the reasons for its great sales numbers - cute hardware and a crisp IPS screen for that kind of money is an awesome deal, even though its processor is not that powerful.

Dukefrukem
11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
After the Nook announced all the Netflix and Pandora apps... the Kindle Fire reassured the same:

Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and 'several thousand' more apps set to hit Kindle Fire next week

Dukefrukem
11-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Amazon adds Hulu Plus, ESPN ScoreCenter to Kindle's Android apps, Nook Tablet loses its edge

Dukefrukem
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
First full review of the Fire (http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amazon-kindle-fire-review/)

Highlights

1. Battery life watching video was 7+ hours (better than advertised)
2. Silk has good performance, but not quite as remarkable as advertised
3. Solid build
4. Comic book reading:

So, what's the reading experience like here on the Fire? Occasionally great, but it can't shake the occasional clumsiness that muddies things here.

As with magazines, text is often squashed too small to be read -- even if its drawn in bold, sure penstrokes. Shockingly, though, you can't pinch-zoom to get a closer look! You have to double-tap on whatever section of the screen you want a closer look at. You then get a popup window with a closer view of that section and, from there, you can tap or swipe your way from one panel to the next. This is a little annoying if you just want to zoom in on one section and then zoom back out again, but it sure beats not being able to read the text.

Other than that annoyance comics are a great addition. The Fire's screen does a great job recreating the bold colors and simple lines that make them such a joy to read.

Bottom Line:

The Kindle Fire is quite an achievement at $200. It's a perfectly usable tablet that feels good in the hand and has a respectably good looking display up front. Yes, power users will find themselves a little frustrated with what they can and can't do on the thing without access to the Android Market but, in these carefree days of cloud-based apps ruling the world, increasingly all you need is a good browser. That the Fire has.

When stacked up against other popular tablets, the Fire can't compete. Its performance is a occasionally sluggish, its interface often clunky, its storage too slight, its functionality a bit restricted and its 7-inch screen too limiting if you were hoping to convert all your paper magazine subscriptions into the digital ones. Other, bigger tablets do it better -- usually at two or three times the cost.

Dukefrukem
11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Wow no one checked out the Music store last night? It kinda sucks.

Try searching for your favorite band and see if it's available.

https://market.android.com/music

[ETM]
11-17-2011, 12:15 PM
It's not available for my country.
But I watched the event live - if I recall correctly, right now they only mave EMI and Universal, plus a bunch of independent labels. They have built it, and they will come.

Dukefrukem
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Yeh they're missing a big lable. That's probably why I can't find shit. I read a blog on Engadget about how it doesn't do anything that isn't available on iTunes and Amazon. As far as I can tell:

iTunes: Buy and store Mp3s on the cloud for $25/year (unlimited)

Google: Buy and store Mp3s on the cloud for free (up to 20,000)

Amazon: Buy and store Mp3s on the cloud for free (unlimited)

I wonder which the best option here is? Throw in the Match system for iTunes (that only pirates really care about) that's about the only differentiating factor between the three. The typical Apple customer does not store or rip their old Mp3s on their apple devices. I wish this Match feature was available on the other two.

[ETM]
11-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the "free full listen for friends" option is awesome.

Google just finally did something for the rest of us (well, "us" in the US) who are simply not part of the Apple system. I despise iTunes, Quicktime and Safari, the stuff Apple does for non-Macs, and deep integration of new services into Chrome, Gmail, Google+ will surely, once the music catalogue is larger, bring people over to the Google side.

Dukefrukem
11-17-2011, 04:15 PM
;384738']I think the "free full listen for friends" option is awesome.

Google just finally did something for the rest of us (well, "us" in the US) who are simply not part of the Apple system. I despise iTunes, Quicktime and Safari, the stuff Apple does for non-Macs, and deep integration of new services into Chrome, Gmail, Google+ will surely, once the music catalogue is larger, bring people over to the Google side.

Agree + Rep. They need to secure that last big label though.

[ETM]
11-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh hell yes - Joshua Topolsky of The Verge reviews a (pre-production, GSM) Galaxy Nexus, and scores it at 8.6/10 (same as the iPhone 4S), with 10/10 for both performance and software. (http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2568348/galaxy-nexus-review)

Only minor cons - sometimes the colors on the screen act up, the camera is only so-so, and he wishes it wasn't made of plastic.

Dukefrukem
11-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Sold

number8
11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
great headline. :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/xe7Uw.png

Dukefrukem
11-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I don't get it.

ALso I love the new Youtube design. Hate the Gmail design. And neutral with the calendar improvements.

number8
11-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Ice Cream Sandwich is the name of the next Android OS. They always name their OS versions after desserts, like how Apple names theirs after big cats.

Dukefrukem
11-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Ice Cream Sandwich is the name of the next Android OS. They always name their OS versions after desserts, like how Apple names theirs after big cats.

I knew about ICS but I wasn't sure what was so funny about the headline.

number8
11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Because it sounds like either a random string of words or a kaijyu.

[ETM]
11-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Attention non-US Match-cutters, especially Android users - apparently, you can sign in to Google Music simply by using a proxy for the registration process, and it will continue to work from any IP. SO FAR. Let's see if Google slam the door here.

Dukefrukem
12-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Go Chrome Go!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/12/chrome-statcounter-1322741816.jpg

Ezee E
12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I take it businesses are the sole reason IE is still the forefront of things? Hate that both of my jobs only have it.

shaun
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Firefox doesn't have deployable patching and Chrome updates too frequently to be feasible for large businesses. Trying finishing your 50k workstation deployment of Chrome 10 after it's been properly tested and packaged in dev only for it to already be end-of-life because Google just released Chrome 13.

Also, GPOs are seamless with IE.

It's unfortunate I guess and I use Chrome at work but there are way better uses of IT infrastructure's time than continually updating web browsers.

Acapelli
12-07-2011, 03:10 AM
galaxy nexus will be out friday

bye bye og droid

Dukefrukem
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
galaxy nexus will be out friday

bye bye og droid

and the Droid 4 tomorrow.

Dukefrukem
12-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Amazon will give you $5 if you use its Price Check app this weekend

[ETM]
12-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Amazon will give you $5 if you use its Price Check app this weekend

Not really. It's 5% up to $5, so you have to spend $100 to get the $5.