Page 1666 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 666116615661616165616641665166616671668167617161766 ... LastLast
Results 41,626 to 41,650 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

I did cave and buy insurance for my new phone. Because holy crap it was expensive. (And this was not a cutting edge phone-- I got a Galaxy S3, just like my last one.)

I also sat down and calmly asked for a raise at work this morning. My immediate boss was mildly supportive, so fingers crossed that I might get something (though probably not what I asked for.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

In happier news, I spent a long weekend at a lodge in the Shenandoah valley with my family; playing croquet, wading in the creek, taking naps, playing board games and puzzles, and chilling with my adorable niece and nephew. It really just does not get better than that. Even with my phone crisis, I feel more relaxed and happier and re-energized than I have in months.

...I need to organize the votes for the Cutties now. /back to work
    ...and the milk's in me.

Hey guys! Back in action.

Had to take a break from some forums for a bit.

Qrazy, sorry I dropped the ball on your project. I should have said no in the beginning, because I know that I suck and crack when it comes time to deliver something specific. Just not good at at.

Anyhow, finished up an album recently, think it's among my best work yet. Started on two more, and have some pretty cool live shows lined up this year.

Welcome back, DD!

In completely unrelated news: An accurate, albeit simplistic, way to write essays for college composition classes. It's scary sad how high I would grade an essay that structured itself this way.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    Welcome back, DD!

In completely unrelated news: An accurate, albeit simplistic, way to write essays for college composition classes. It's scary sad how high I would grade an essay that structured itself this way.
    Given what I've seen proofreading for others in college, I think if someone managed to write something coherent with proper grammar I would automatically give them a B. Such bad writing out there.

I'll have to share that with my fellow tutors. Hilarious.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

SO great to see you back, D! You were greatly missed!

I am back on the reading wagon, so look forward to hearing about any neat new books you've come across.

Also want to hear what you think of the trailer and info on "Bloodborne"!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Just got an audition for a sports jacket thing that includes several pieces of copy, including a bit where a guy goes from a soft, light voice into a ripped Macho Man Savage voice.

Not gonna do it tonight because my throat is tired, but goddamn, am I looking forward to this in the morning.
    Hey, look, it's that animation nut from RT.

All right. Getting on a plane to San Diego. See you guys on the flip side.

http://www.artboiled.com/2014/comic-...-look-out-for/

So I broke my elbow on Thursday after all... while at the beach in Croatia, I slipped and fell on my left elbow. It didn't hurt much afterwards, so I decided against a long boat ride to mainland to get it x-rayed and checked out, so we left for home on Saturday and I only found out today that it's broken after all. Now I have my entire arm in a cast and can barely work. I'm probably looking at six weeks of agony in summer heat, followed by painful rehabilitation. And did I mention I have absolutely no insurance, anywhere?:frustrated:

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    All right. Getting on a plane to San Diego. See you guys on the flip side.

http://www.artboiled.com/2014/comic-...-look-out-for/
    Keep us posted with all the best stuff as usual!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    So I broke my elbow on Thursday after all... while at the beach in Croatia, I slipped and fell on my left elbow. It didn't hurt much afterwards, so I decided against a long boat ride to mainland to get it x-rayed and checked out, so we left for home on Saturday and I only found out today that it's broken after all. Now I have my entire arm in a cast and can barely work. I'm probably looking at six weeks of agony in summer heat, followed by painful rehabilitation. And did I mention I have absolutely no insurance, anywhere?:frustrated:
    Ouch with the pain and ouch with no insurance. :cry:
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Alex Weitzman (view post)
    Just got an audition for a sports jacket thing that includes several pieces of copy, including a bit where a guy goes from a soft, light voice into a ripped Macho Man Savage voice.

Not gonna do it tonight because my throat is tired, but goddamn, am I looking forward to this in the morning.
    Follow-up thought: damn, that was a throat ripper.

Follow-up thought: damn, that was a throat ripper.
    I cut a voiceover demo about 10 years ago. Never did anything with it. Minor regret.

So, like, theoretically, if a young man had a lifelong dream of being one of the people who does the American voice-acting versions of anime series, how would he go about working his way into that career?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    So, like, theoretically, if a young man had a lifelong dream of being one of the people who does the American voice-acting versions of anime series, how would he go about working his way into that career?
    Everything I said to megladon in my other thread, and one more important point:

Know where the market is.

Anime used to be the only animation thing not regularly done in LA, but LA talent are being used for dubbing much more now. So, as per usual, my recommendation is LA. That said, Vancouver and Dallas are still main dub hubs. The recent big anime release Attack of Titan is a combo of LA and Dallas talent, mostly leaning towards the latter, I think.

One of the great ways to get into anime is to come to LA and get involved with Bang Zoom! Entertainment. They take in new talent all the time.

Interesting, thanks.

As a side note, asking the larger group: what if someone wanted to get into anime art? Is there a way to break into that at all as an American? Would you need to live in Japan?
    ...and the milk's in me.

Neither of these are based on real people, FYI. I'm trying to figure out a tricky life aspiration for a fictional character, and right now I'm leaning anime, although I don't know a heck of a lot about it.
    ...and the milk's in me.

If I wanted to break into American Anime Art, I'd start volunteering my services to illustrate Sonic the Hedgehog Erotic Fanfiction.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Interesting, thanks.

As a side note, asking the larger group: what if someone wanted to get into anime art? Is there a way to break into that at all as an American? Would you need to live in Japan?
    Not quite as knowledgeable here, but yeah, if you want to make anime, you live in a country that makes anime. There are Japanese-inspired productions in America, but not enough to comprise someone's entire career. The American animators and storyboarders who work on anime-inspired shows here also work on shows that are purely Western.

That said, there's a market for individual artists who draw in the anime style. It's just not a very big market. You see them all the time at conventions in Artists' Alley, sketching for commission money and selling both original art based both on original concepts and established characters.

If you're going to write a fictional character going down this route, I'd check out a few conventions and maybe talk to some of those artists about their path and their work. Also, on a personal note, if the character is not going to be a really motivated artist, and is just an anime fan who "wants in", I think it'd be much more honest and real if he failed in his dreams. Sad but true.

Also, on a personal note, if the character is not going to be a really motivated artist, and is just an anime fan who "wants in", I think it'd be much more honest and real if he failed in his dreams. Sad but true.
    Totally. I know a number of people who are illustrators and it is a gruesome life. Even my dear friend who is successful enough to be working regularly still only makes about $12K a year.

This character would be too young to be failing at a career already, though. It would be more like a long-term dream.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    It is 9:30 pm and 107° outside.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    It is 9:30 pm and 107° outside.
    Yeah, I'm in Scottsdale now, and holy hell...

Not sure if you're up north, but I ate at Hot N Juicy Crawfish tonight. And that's delicious.

I was hoping to do a night run, but fuck that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, I'm in Scottsdale now, and holy hell...

Not sure if you're up north, but I ate at Hot N Juicy Crawfish tonight. And that's delicious.

I was hoping to do a night run, but fuck that.
    I'm in Gilbert and yeah it's been incredibly humid all day also which isn't making it any better.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Does anyone know if an administrator or a moderator can adjust someone's screen name? I sent Ezee E a PM about this, but I'm not sure if he successfully received the message.