Thread: Westworld (Season 3)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Westworld (Season 3)

March 15th premiere.

Seems like forever ago we got this teaser.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Jesse P.?!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bring it on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    I'm the rare watcher who slightly prefers Season 2 over 1, but this is a big, welcome change of pace, both expanding the world and freeing up the performers in new ways (Evan Rachel Woods has always been great in this sometimes too grim-lead role, but the steely cool here fits her effortlessly) with a bonus boost of fun spy thriller intrigue.

Plus, Payman Maadi (A Separation) as a board member!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    She gives off major young Sharon Stone vibe this ep.

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I don't know what happened, but I'm liking it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    I didn't love this week as much as the premiere, but I liked how even the within-Westworld ep continues the new, more pulpy pacing and tone now, with Maeve's initial situation and final objective for the season resolved within the hour. And that GoT cameos! [
    ]
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    I didn't love this week as much as the premiere, but I liked how even the within-Westworld ep continues the new, more pulpy pacing and tone now, with Maeve's initial situation and final objective for the season resolved within the hour. And that GoT cameos! [
    ]
    I'm enjoying the Dolores story, but Maeve is odd. Why would this computer company even keep her simulation running after last season's events?

That company really needs to amp up its emergency protocols too, lol

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hmm.... I'm not dying to see what goes on, but the production value in this is so A+, that I'm continuing to tune in anyway.

This week's twist should've been seen since last year, but never considered it. Well done Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Thought from the preview that this would be Ed Harris' episode, but it's more of 4 main characters in 1, the better to spring that reveal in parallel scenes. I like the reveal not only because it's so soon by former seasons' standard (just at halfway point), but also really tracks with Dolores' arc last season, especially what happened with Teddy.

And just as I was thinking Thompson wouldn't get to any kickass scene like ERW and Newton (since the first three episodes feels like all the main actresses' showcase, one apiece), that last scene came along big time.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Feels all over the place (I like the genre drug, especially the Love Story bit, but it feels inconsequential in the end), but Westworld going full action mode with a few momentous story turns makes for a very fun episode, even if it's not up there with the past two weeks.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Feels all over the place (I like the genre drug, especially the Love Story bit, but it feels inconsequential in the end), but Westworld going full action mode with a few momentous story turns makes for a very fun episode, even if it's not up there with the past two weeks.
    Agreed. ALthough I did like that it finally started to focus on Seroc (sp?) and how that mega computer came to be.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Ed Harris continues to make the most of it, but William's backstory feels so played out and such a retreat at this point, and kinda drags the episode down. Maeve's is almost similar but at least it's in livelier, more emotional context, with a great cliffhanger. Enjoyed the hell out of Hale in action mode though.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I haven't watched this season yet but has the multiple timeline structure been abandoned now that we've left Westworld?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I haven't watched this season yet but has the multiple timeline structure been abandoned now that we've left Westworld?
    Yes. Of course it was in sci-fi mode before, but everything about this season is full future sci-fi. It took me a while, but now I'm in it. Especially for yesterday's episode.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Not without some fun (Dolores vs Maeve), but this might be my least favorite episode of the show? A whole lotta dumped-at-once backstory, clumsy plot setting (So Williams tells the two he's going to kill all hosts starting with them, and they let him wander away to pick up a weapon, which...profit?), and long, long exposition dialogue. The finale better flows better after all the strained set-up this episode has to do for it.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Not without some fun (Dolores vs Maeve), but this might be my least favorite episode of the show? A whole lotta dumped-at-once backstory, clumsy plot setting (So Williams tells the two he's going to kill all hosts starting with them, and they let him wander away to pick up a weapon, which...profit?), and long, long exposition dialogue. The finale better flows better after all the strained set-up this episode has to do for it.
    Yeah. I also just don't really care about Caleb (Aaron Paul) enough to be excited about what happens next week.

I still go back to just how convenient everything is. How easy it is to get through Delos security, the base in Mexico...

But yeah, the Maeve VS. Dolores was very fun, and in many ways better better, than most final duels in movies.

I am kind of happy this season is coming to an end. I can't say that I'm totally pumped to hear that there's a season four on the way. I also wonder how the heck they'll up the stakes at this point, unless the robots are freed and it truly is a Humans VS. Robots battle.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Weak finish to the weakest season, after I (contrarianly?) like Season 2 a tad better than Season 1. It's kind of perplexing what happened with it, since the first half is so strong in introducing a new world and setting up its plot. Then these last two episodes feel like someone trying to follow the original showrunners' plan, weakly, to the point of almost parodying it a bit (so much dense, whispery oh-so-philosophical monologues!). I wonder if there's a sudden episode decrease from HBO after most of the plot writing has been set up, because that would explain the last two's rushed, crammed pacing, which makes the action lack build-up to feel consequential, characterization told rather than shown (Hale's flip appears largely off-screen), and each backstory/reveal/philosophical musing concentrated into monotonous long stretches. So disappointing.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yeah, this was pretty by the numbers for Westworld.

The weak security and ease of access is just weird to me.

And what will next season be focusing on? Mission accomplished for Dolores, I guess, so probably no need for her. William/Man in Black and Hale planning to take over the world with their robots was what we "thought" this season would be.

I admire the show for the special effects and production value, but I can't say I'm dying for next season like I am for Better Call Saul. If this was it for the show, I'd have been fine with it.

Also, the last shot mirrors Fight Club almost a hundred percent.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter