4 100.00%

Thread: The Snowman (Tomas Alfredson)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    - - - - -
    Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    #moviepass
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    Michael Fassbender, and that's honestly it. I'll see just about anything he's in.
    Ahhhhhhh, gotcha. Both good reasons.

(I'm the same way with James McAvoy, Katherine Heigl, and Jude Law, which has led me to some baaaaad movies.)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

(I'm the same way with James McAvoy, Katherine Heigl, and Jude Law, which has led me to some baaaaad movies.)

That reads like the cast of some terrible holiday-centric romantic comedy or something.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Ha, I find all those actors dull as hell. Opinions, eh?
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Ha, I find all those actors dull as hell. Opinions, eh?
    Heh. What performers would you watch no matter what?

Heh. What performers would you watch no matter what?
    None at all, to tell the truth. I'm more of a director + reviews + genre type person. Actors are expendable.

There are many actors I like, though, that may sway me to see a movie if I'm not totally convinced (in no particular order):

Joaquin Pheonix
    Ethan Hawke
    Jason Sudeikis
    Naomi Watts
    Colin Firth
    Jeon Do-yeon
    Song Kang-ho

I've hated McAvoy since Wanted; his attempt at Edward Norton circa Fight Club was so calculated and hollow that I can't help but see every performance of his since then as calculated and mannered. Seriously, that last line in that film coming from him is hilarious.
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 10-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    None at all, to tell the truth. I'm more of a director + reviews + genre type person.
    Ah, yeah, that's where we differ heavily. Directors seem another form of celebrity (I'm not sure why I know who McG, Nolan, and Wright are, for example.) Not a huge fan of reviews until after the fact, and sadly most of the critics I like are dead!

Joaquin Pheonix
    Ethan Hawke
    Jason Sudeikis
    Naomi Watts
    Colin Firth
    Jeon Do-yong
    Song Kang-ho
    This is a pretty good list, though, have to admit.

(Song Kang-ho is terrific and I really want to see "A Taxi Driver.")

To be fair, Fassbender also sees me seeing a lot of crap, though I have found myself enjoying some of his most lauded movies (LOVED The Counselor), so I figured maybe this would be the same? But no.

Kristen Stewart is also on my list, and I more consistently fare far better from those outings.

(Have you seen Victor Frankenstein, btw? If so, thoughts? McAvoy was MANIC in that one. One of my favorite over-the-top performances from him.)

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    To be fair, Fassbender also sees me seeing a lot of crap, though I have found myself enjoying some of his most lauded movies (LOVED The Counselor), so I figured maybe this would be the same? But no.

Kristen Stewart is also on my list, and I more consistently fare far better from those outings.

(Have you seen Victor Frankenstein, btw? If so, thoughts? McAvoy was MANIC in that one. One of my favorite over-the-top performances from him.)
    !!!

"The Counselor" was tons of fun. I loved how Scott just let every actor go for it and nobody held back. Great movie---definitely one for my rolling "flawed but interesting" list.

Kristen Stewart would be on my list too.

I didn't have the heart for "Victor Frankenstein." I wanted to see it because of the cast, but my God the trailers made it look too silly. :P

!!!

"The Counselor" was tons of fun. I loved how Scott just let every actor go for it and nobody held back. Great movie---definitely one for my rolling "flawed but interesting" list.

Kristen Stewart would be on my list too.

I didn't have the heart for "Victor Frankenstein." I wanted to see it because of the cast, but my God the trailers made it look too silly. :P
    It is silly, but the its worth it solely for the cast, who have an absolute blast with the material. I'd say give it a shot, if you get a chance.