Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wire

Quote Quoting Glass Co. (view post)
    You're not even finished the season yet, are you?

Minor thematic spoilers about the final episode:

[
    ]
    100% agreed. I was weeping. Not crying, not misty-eyed, openly and unreservedly weeping for the last half-hour or so. Granted, one particular character's fate hit me harder than I expected it to and I couldn't come up from it. But I don't want to tempt Mara with spoilers so close to the end.

I love how quickly you are blazing through Season 4, Mara. Thumbs up.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I want to bleach my brain before going to bed. I feel like I should watch The Muppet Show or sing Sunday School songs or call my mother.
    Okay, come on, what was this? Bodie? Randy? Spill.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Okay, come on, what was this? Bodie? Randy? Spill.
    No, I was still talking about the beating death. I was really, genuinely upset last night. This is why it's better for me to take breaks when watching this show, to recover emotionally, even though I'm always desperate to see what happens next.

But I have to finish this season before my trip this weekend.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Are Body and Randy both going to die this season? Great.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I watched the finale last night. This concluded my fourth or fifth run at the series. I'm sure there will be more in my future.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Are Body and Randy both going to die this season? Great.
    Really sorry, I thought you were done with S4. It's not going to be what you think, though.
    Movie Theater Diary

Really sorry, I thought you were done with S4. It's not going to be what you think, though.
    Naw, it's cool. They never had a super high survival rate for this season.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm excited to see what you think of the fifth season, as someone who hasn't yet started it.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I'm excited to see what you think of the fifth season, as someone who hasn't yet started it.
    Yeah, this. I absolutely love season 5 and the journalism angle, and I think one of the things that digs at me the most is when people say it's just an outlet for David Simon to wax nostalgia about the things that irked him about newsroom conduct, when I happen to think that The Sun segment is arguably the most important thing about the whole series, and what they spent four seasons building up to.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, this. I absolutely love season 5 and the journalism angle, and I think one of the things that digs at me the most is when people say it's just an outlet for David Simon to wax nostalgia about the things that irked him about newsroom conduct, when I happen to think that The Sun segment is arguably the most important thing about the whole series, and what they spent four seasons building up to.
    Totally agreed. I used to be one of those people because I felt the newspaper angle lacked dramatic tension, which is incredibly silly because dramatic tension was never what The Wire was about. It was a byproduct and although the writers may have played it up a bit what with the continuing chase of cops and criminals and the Greek tragedy of scapegoats getting in the way of the "battle of the Titans", the series was always a journalist piece of social critique first and foremost.

With that in mind the newspaper angle becomes a piece of meta-narrative genius. "Here's why everyone else doesn't cover what we are doing here." It's a perfect capper and when I always like to imagine after he's dropped to the copy desk Gus goes on to create a critically acclaimed series for HBO.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    No, no. I say it in that I haven't watched season 5 yet. I marathoned the whole show right after season 4 came out and it took so long between finishing and season 5 starting that I never got around to it.

No, I was still talking about the beating death. I was really, genuinely upset last night. This is why it's better for me to take breaks when watching this show, to recover emotionally, even though I'm always desperate to see what happens next.
    did you pick up on the subtext regarding chris?

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    did you pick up on the subtext regarding chris?
    Well, there are a few ways you could read that.

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

Well, the fact he molested Michael was more than just insinuated, I think.
    Movie Theater Diary

Could the first reason not be reason enough?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Could the first reason not be reason enough?
    Yes, but it really could be any of the three. If they'd wanted us to know, they would have told us. As it is, what we glean from the moment is that there are things that Chris takes personally, and that make him totally lose his cool. Unlike Snoop, who is taken aback by the violence, but not disturbed... just confused.
    ...and the milk's in me.

One of the funniest lines ever, right there. "Damn, you didn't even wait to get the motherfucker in the house!"
    Movie Theater Diary

Compare the first murder that we see Chris and Snoop do in a vacant-- Chris is gentle and soothing, comforting the man before shooting him. Chris is likewise polite and dignified with Andre the pawnshop guy. (Poor Andre, by the way.) Most of the time, it's just a job.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Snoop is even more dispassionate than Chris. She doesn't speak to the people she kills, because to her they're not even people. Just like her first conversation with the home appliance man, it's just work. She shows up, she does a good job, takes pride in her work, and goes home.

By the way, there's a kid in Prez's class that doesn't speak who looks just like a mini-Snoop. I tried googling "mini-Snoop" and got nothing.
    ...and the milk's in me.

The difference between Chris and Snoop is the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath. Snoop doesn't get that what she does is wrong. She enjoys the killings and she likes the way she carries herself. Chris, on the other hand, seems to know that he's the bad guy, but he happens to be a very good one and it provides for him, so he doesn't care and just does his killings with the efficiency and disconnect as a working man just doing his job.
    Movie Theater Diary

By the way, there's a kid in Prez's class that doesn't speak who looks just like a mini-Snoop. I tried googling "mini-Snoop" and got nothing.
    Good catch. I believe there is a conversation in a earlier episode (or maybe it's yet to come) where Namond says to Snoop "I think your sister's in my class." I don't know if it's her real life sister or not, but the resemblance is quite striking.

"Snoop's sister" worked better than "Mini-Snoop."

[youtube]7aSUGtMBWh4[/youtube]

It's also a buried thing that Cheese (you know, who killed his dog Dawg) is probably Randy's dad. They're both Wagstaffs.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It was earlier. It was when Chris and Snoop tried to recruit Michael. Namond greeted them with, "Sup, Snoop? Your sister's in my class."
    Movie Theater Diary

Another subtle thing I love: did you guys realize that before he became a semi-regular character in Season 4, Kenard is one of the little kids playing Omar that Bunk saw in Season 3? Blew my mind when I rewatched the series.
    Movie Theater Diary

[youtube]0hI30vRRqxA[/youtube]
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast