Page 26 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss the Musics Thread

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    I don't know anything beyond those two albums, but if you get a chance you should definitely see her live. Mindblowingly good voice.
    I don't doubt it. I check her website every now and again...she doesn't seem to like coming to my part of the country.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Don't have either of those two albums, but doggonit, Furnace Room Lullaby is one peach of a record.

I'd like to revisit that one, because I didn't like it much when it first came out but I may have come around on Barnes.
    I thought I came around on Barnes last year after finding the previous two albums I've heard from them fairly mediocre, so I was disappointed when I heard Skeletal. I'll definitely give it another chance to see if it works better for me, but I'm afraid Hissing Fauna might be an anomaly in their discography.

In one of those "What's the Big Hullaballou?" deals, I looked up and listened to a generous helping of Lil Wayne. I can see why he is attracting the attention of so many, and he exudes that growling kind of charisma, but so far I've only found "Got Money" to be my kind of thing.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Carl Sagan's Ghost - Track One

A rough mix of the first track for my new musical project has been finished.

It is, as of now, untitled.

Thematically, the track represents a rebirth of sorts. This is evident in how the various parts fade into existence - each subtle drone and melody is birthed from the foundation set by the original drone.

It is a very quiet track; this entire project is going to focus on quietness, a quality that is becoming more important to me.

While it is low key, I would hesitate to call it a 'minimalist' piece, at least in terms of someone like Taylor Duepree. The basis for the song still stems from my one of my original inspirations: the drones and tones of Spacemen 3 and early Spiritualized. Jason Spacemen and Sonic Boom so formed my original musical inspiration that I wonder if I will ever completely shake their influence?

Not that I'm too worried about it - it is a good foundation to build upon.

Take a listen.

Potential New Favorite Dylan Song: Time Passes Slowly, from New Morning.

Potential New Favorite Dylan Album: New Morning

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Potential New Favorite Dylan Album: New Morning
    :crazy:

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Potential New Favorite Dylan Song: Time Passes Slowly, from New Morning.
    Fantastic song. If Not for You and The Man in Me are other highlights. The album itself I still think is a step down from some of his earlier work, but it's great nonetheless. Glad you're enjoying it.

The Continuing Adventures of Carl Sagan's Ghost...

Did anyone take a listen to that first track?

I'm curious.

I imagine many people will be bored with it.

Anyhow...

I've finished tracks 2 and 3, which together with track 1 form a trilogy. This new album is going to be a trilogy of trilogies.

Each trilogy will have a certain theme: Birth, Death, and Rebirth

This first trilogy I completed will, most likely, fall under the Rebirth banner.

I'll have a rough mix of it up for a listen later this week. There are still a number of things I need to do to it.

Part 3 especially needs some work. It is one of the most 'techno' things I've ever done. It's basically a club track, probably falls into the trance-step sub genre, similar to the work done by The Field. I really like it, but the nature of the track calls for the utmost in perfection. Because of its simplistic nature, everything needs to be fine tuned to an extreme degree.

I've been listening to this trilogy, which runs about 15 minutes, for the last day or so, and I really like how it is shaping up.

This project is starting to come together, and it's nice to have some confidence again in the music I am making. It's been far too long since I've completed a musical project, and if things keep going this way I'll have this new album done come January.

Can't think of a better way to start off a new year. I feel as though a time of prolific creativity is right around the corner. That is a very good thing.

Man, some of the tracks off of the newest Rivers Cuomo CD, Alone Vol. 2, are dang awesome.

Track 3, The Purification of Water, is especially awesome.

Many of the tracks I've heard so far are the best Weezer-y things I've heard since back in the day when I loved Pinkerton.

I can't see myself getting super into this album - I feel a little silly listening to some of these songs now, as a happily-married adult, and not a sad love-struck single dude - but I am pleasantly surprised by many of these tunes.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    The Continuing Adventures of Carl Sagan's Ghost...

Did anyone take a listen to that first track?

I'm curious.

I imagine many people will be bored with it.

Anyhow...
    I did. Quality-wise, it was quite good. Reminded me a lot of the ambient stuff I became familiar with back in the mid-90's. Problem was, I usually avoided most of the dronier stuff, like this. I wasn't bored with it, but the music did little to make me feel like I shouldn't be bored. I like my IDM to give me more than simple tonal shifts (speaking as a musical layman; I respect your abilities greatly, but know virtually nothing of the technical side of your craft, so props there). I guess my main criticism (again, from an aural consumer's standpoint): it just wasn't adventurous enough. And note, I'm not equating adventurous with bpm or anything of the kind.

I'm probably not making any sense, so I'll shut up and go away now. But, best of luck with your endeavor. I'll certainly check out the rest when it's posted.

Thanks Russ - nice feedback.

I totally see where you are coming from, and the criticisms you raise are totally valid, and quite common with this kind of music.

Hopefully, with some more more tweaking and fiddling I will get these tracks up to a level that might interest some of those who normally don't go for this kind of drone music.

For instance, the second track has a nice little guitar part that comes in, and the third part really is a driving dance track.

It really is a love-it or hate-it style of music - I understand that the audience for this kind of thing is quite insular.

However, thanks for listening. I am looking forward to posting more and hearing more from you. I appreciate it!

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    For instance, the second track has a nice little guitar part that comes in
    Pedal steel???

I picked up System of a Down's "Toxicity" last weekend, and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, EXCEPT for the song, "Science," which has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard.

Never mind the irony of using science to bag on science. If the group dislikes it so much, why haven't we seen them take up residence in a local cave and start picking berries for food? (Which is essentially what they're lamenting, that science has given us industry and technology, but has "complicated" our lives, taking us away from "mother Earth.") I'll tell you why, because they're hypocrites.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Pedal steel???
    No - not good enough yet...

Next album.

So Yes played here last night with Alan White, Chris Squire, Steve Howe AND Benoît David! No Jon Anderson. Benoit is the singer of a Yes tribute band. Bizarre.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    So Yes played here last night with Alan White, Chris Squire, Steve Howe AND Benoît David! No Jon Anderson. Benoit is the singer of a Yes tribute band. Bizarre.
    Yeah, they were in NYC a few weeks ago, and I elected NOT to get tickets because if I'm going to see Yes, I'm going to see Jon Anderson, by God. Not that I doubt they were fantastic. They're always solid live. Plus, White, Squire, and Howe. Still...

Anyone listen to No Age? Just bought Nouns last night. Totally addicted to it.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Saw Kristin Hersh the other night here in Chicago. Another great performance by her - and her voice seemed to be stronger than last time I saw her. Her guitar was still top notch - one of the best guitarists I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. It's also amazing how she uses her entire head to sing.

The opening band was Daniel Knox who I'd never heard before and I snatched their DVD (Disaster) right away. Some really excellent music. Kind of a cross between The The, Tori Amos, and David Sylvian but with lots of sarcastic humor thrown in. Mostly solo piano with vocals. He's got an excellent voice.

I saw them on Sunday and it was musical filled evening. We went to a German Brauhaus for dinner with hokey live German music - followed by a local Irish pub with live Irish folk, ending with the concert.

Yeah, they were in NYC a few weeks ago, and I elected NOT to get tickets because if I'm going to see Yes, I'm going to see Jon Anderson, by God. Not that I doubt they were fantastic. They're always solid live. Plus, White, Squire, and Howe. Still...
    I should have taken a picture of the marquis. It was an awesome sight to see:

YES - ALAN WHITE, CHRIS SQUIRE, STEVE HOWE

in huge letters.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I picked up System of a Down's "Toxicity" last weekend, and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, EXCEPT for the song, "Science," which has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard.
    My only exposure to System of a Down was this totally awesome cover they did of the Legend of Zelda them.

So, we know what is bad about the album, what is so great about it?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    My only exposure to System of a Down was this totally awesome cover they did of the Legend of Zelda them.

So, we know what is bad about the album, what is so great about it?
    And that's where I'm going to fall on my face, because I don't really EVER know what it is about certain songs or albums that grab me. I will say that System's lyrics were unexpectedly thoughtful, especially for the Angry White Boy Nu Metal genre that it seems to have been categorized under.

I've also lightened up on my opinion of the song "Science." After having listened to the entire album a few times, I get their general stance and understand their complaints. (They're dirt-worshipping tree-huggers.) The way the message is conveyed in the song ... they blame science for the way people used/abused the knowledge that science gave us. It's like finding a wrench that was used to build the nuke that was dropped on Hiroshima and blaming the wrench for it.

Ah, whatever. I'll bring it over one of these days, bac0n, and you can tell me what you think of it. :P

Anyone listen to No Age? Just bought Nouns last night. Totally addicted to it.
    Yeah, it's really good though like their last album I find I love half the songs and am fairly indifferent to the others. Still, "Eraser" will probably make the cut for my favorite songs of '08 and they were a lot of fun to see live.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The Kinks are fucking awesome.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.