Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (The Final Season / 8 )

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If I were admin, deleting posts would be turned off.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -

Finished Book 3 today. The last quarter of the book is chapter upon chapter of good stuff, and works just as well on page as it did on screen.

I wonder how Lady Stoneheart would've played on screen. I always thought that Catelyn Stark scenes on the TV show were pretty weak, with Michelle Fairley being part of the reason. However, with a good makeup job, and a terrifying voice, I think it could've really worked. Obviously it changes things with Beric's fate, and I haven't gotten into Book 4/5 to see how it results, but it makes for a terrific final chapter to Book 4.

Not going to lie though, the TV show executes the key scenes from this book just as well, if not better, than what was there beforehand. This includes the Red Wedding, Mountain Vs. Viper, and the use of The Hound. The book really handles the depression of Sansa, Bran's journey to the North, and Stannis Baratheon's character much better. Both have evenly great ideas for Brienne, Arya, and the handling of the Lannisters. So, as a fan, I really think both mediums are worth delving into.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I always thought that Catelyn Stark scenes on the TV show were pretty weak, with Michelle Fairley being part of the reason. However, with a good makeup job, and a terrifying voice, I think it could've really worked.
    Seriously? I think she's one of the greatest actors of the whole ensemble. Frankly the weak links as far as thespians go have always been Jon and Daenerys.

Also, Lady Stoneheart can't speak because of her throat wound. I think Thoros or Beric mention it in the epilogue to Book 3.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I was asking: How is "Game of Thrones" different from literally any other serious drama, since "consequences" are a key element to the form?
    You're in love with your own sophistry. I'm less enamored.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Yeah, that pretty much sums up what's insufferable about the social justice crowd who see everyone else in the world as unenlightened rubes. Everyone else's arguments are rooted in sexism and racism and colonialism but not pure adorable me.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Seriously? I think she's one of the greatest actors of the whole ensemble. Frankly the weak links as far as thespians go have always been Jon and Daenerys.

Also, Lady Stoneheart can't speak because of her throat wound. I think Thoros or Beric mention it in the epilogue to Book 3.
    Yeah, I totally get the throat wound as the reason she can't speak. She can speak some words if she holds down her throat, but not much at all. It's terrifying to picture.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    You're in love with your own sophistry. I'm less enamored.
    Ha. Well, that's always been true. I gotta tell you, I saw this comic the other day and burst out laughing. It hit a little too close to home.

PS: You still haven't answered the question.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up what's insufferable about the social justice crowd who see everyone else in the world as unenlightened rubes. Everyone else's arguments are rooted in sexism and racism and colonialism but not pure adorable me.
    Jesus. With this show, you're like a zealot defending his religion. Or a teenage boy defending his mother's imagined honor.

Get over it, Spinal. Your god is fickle and your mother's a whore.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-02-2019 at 10:50 PM.

I never knew that character was called Nancy. It's Periquita in Spanish.

Producer
    So it seems some (all?) of Ep 4 leaks, which seemingly confirm a lot of the leaked plot points (which I only knew just existed) earlier. Haven't seen or read anything from them yet, but based on reactions it seems to be... controversial. And if the rest is true, here's a comment:

lol, Lindelof can finally rest, Lost won't have the biggest clusterfuck of an ending anymore. Also, if the leaks are indeed true, the backlash to The Last Jedi will feel like a nice afternoon tea party compared to what's about to go down with the GoT fandom.
    Honestly I am more curious about that than the actual plot now lol.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Jesus. With this show, you're like a zealot defending his religion. Or a teenage boy defending his mother's imagined honor.
    I've offered numerous critiques of this show. I've also offered numerous critiques of my mother, but I don't post those on the internet.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    So it seems some (all?) of Ep 4 leaks, which seemingly confirm a lot of the leaked plot points (which I only knew just existed) earlier. Haven't seen or read anything from them yet, but based on reactions it seems to be... controversial. And if the rest is true, here's a comment:

Honestly I am more curious about that than the actual plot now lol.
    Doing everything in my power to avoid searching for these spoilers.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)

BTW, super huge plot hole with the dragon killing crossbows. Here's a war tip guys- fly the dragons towards the back of the ships.
    That's Dany. When she gets angry she's not really rational though is she? I dunno, it's not like your point is invalid. It's just that everyone complains about battlefield strategies when we're assuming everyone's supposed to have it all figured out. That'd be like a soccer coach never making the wrong decision.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I love the twitter response about Brienne hooking up with a Fuck boy instead of the guy who really cares about her.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Kind of... a romantic episode? It's shaping up like Daenerys is going to be almost an antagonist by the end.

Though she was absolutely right not to tell Sansa. Never tell Sansa.

Next week's death count is going to be bigger (and more integral) than last week's it appears.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    ofc it has to be that hot topic pirate lol. And Brienne and Missandei were done so dirty this ep.

Basically agree with these:

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Somehow I knew Dany would be the type to sip Starbucks while growing paranoid and gone mad...

Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Producer
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Whoever that guy is on Twitter is absolutely right - the second half of the episode basically defines rushed storytelling.

Jon asks Tormund to dogsit Ghost? Cersei has Tyrion dead to rights and lets him talk about her children?

This show is so stupid now I just want it to be over to spare me the weekly disappointments.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Producer
    Jon giving away Ghost is indeed hilarious. As a plot point it can work, but the way it happens on the show, all I can think of is "What? Now they can't even spare the budget for a scene of Jon hugging Ghost goodbye or something?". It is so casually done!
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yeah, to be honest, I've given up hope of the show ever getting good again. It's basically fan fiction now.

There's still moments of intrigue, as the actual discussion between Tyrion and Varys was interesting--but the instigating idea of telling everyone is a bit too much too quick.

The part that infuriated me was Brienne ugly crying--such a break of her character.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast