Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What's the purpose of serparating this from the FDT?

Oh, nevermind. I'm not going to make a stand on my view of genre and the way this kind of stratification stands in opposition to it. Whatevs. Enjoy your horror thread.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)

I kind of outlined that in the first post.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It's all for the lulz.

Reeker is a fun little flick. I saw it, and was pleasantly surprised.

Personally I'm not a big horror fan, so the idea that perhaps horror discussions could possibly be contained in its own little corner of Match-Cut away from my eyes is a blessing.

::realizes the hypocrisy of posting in said horror discussion::

Also, I am a fan of the Spanish, but wouldn't Italian be more in line with the horror theme? I guess there's [REC].

::fades away into non-horror obscurity::

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Also, I am a fan of the Spanish, but wouldn't Italian be more in line with the horror theme? I guess there's [REC].[/SIZE]
    Or Japanese.

I watched Blood On Satan's Claw a few days ago, expecting little more than some enjoyably blasphemic hysterics based on the schlocky DVD cover and IMDb plot keywords, but instead got a pretty atmospheric and relatively nuanced portrayal of witchcraft in 17th century England. I think the 'subversiveness' of the depiction of the town's governors as being just as hysterical as the cultists was maybe a bit overemphasised, but really it's just the well-sustained mood of dread and occult creepiness that is the film's obvious main virtue. And Linda Hayden... *droooooolllllll*

Have to say I also liked it more than the superficially similar Witchfinder General.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    What's the point of putting all discussion in the FDT? I would much rather see us utilize the rest of the forum.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    if this were a real world, i would drop into any conversation about horror films by demonstrating my awesome knowledge of an italian word "giallo," and how it means "yellow," and how it refers to some specific genre.

here in matchcut, i'll silently bow away.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

I welcome a horror thread, or many horror threads. I too need to watch a lot more of the genre.

On thing you said struck me as odd though: "...and I would be the first to argue that there are horror films with as much artistic merit and importance as any drama or documentary."

I can't imagine anyone, at least in these parts, who would argue any differently.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting fasozupow (view post)
    I can't imagine anyone, at least in these parts, who would argue any differently.
    In point of fact, many people here seem to welcome horror films. Cloverfield, Let the Right One In, and Diary of the Dead got massive attention from this forum, as I recall, and most of that was respectful discussion.

Not to say that I dislike this thread. I plan on posting my thoughts on upcoming views of Fisher's The Mummy, Moore's Spiral, and Schrader's Cat People.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    In point of fact, many people here seem to welcome horror films. Cloverfield, Let the Right One In, and Diary of the Dead got massive attention from this forum, as I recall, and most of that was respectful discussion.

Not to say that I dislike this thread. I plan on posting my thoughts on upcoming views of Fisher's The Mummy, Moore's Spiral, and Schrader's Cat People.
    Yes, I think Let the Right One In is among the finest films of any genre from the past year. And I don't put The Texas Chain Saw Massacre in my top 10 just to be provocative. I consider it a great work of art.

I look forward to your thoughts on Cat People. I haven't seen it for a long time, but remember liking it -- of course that was when I desperately wanted to marry Nastassja Kinski.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Otis straddles a the border between being kind of clever, and a mean-spirited, exploitative mess. It's more of the latter, but I can't help feeling it wasn't all bad.

Some of it had me puzzled, though. This girl who is kidnapped, beaten and knows she's going to be raped is actually able to muster a laugh at her kidnapper and how he can't dance? I don't think so.

It had some funny dialogue and a few inspired moments. But it's really not too good.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

The Babadook is one of the stupidest pieces of shit to have ever been made. What a fucking joke. Can't believe so many people loved it.
    Last edited by D_Davis; 05-15-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Cross-posting this here, in case anyone might be interested. So here's my latest short film, Breathe. It's my first foray into horror, and also features the return of Match-Cut's very own Fezzik in a starring role. So, if you all kindly would, please check it out.

So, Candyman. Not as much Tony Todd as I was expecting. Better acting than I expected--really cool commentary on Chicagoland issues of race and class, especially once I realize that this wasn't Barker's original location. Awesome Philip Glass score. Way more casual smoking and misogyny, leering, and sexual assault threats than initially anticipated. It felt appropriate in its handling, even if it didn't always do more than record the existence of these issues. Cool use of the wrong man archetype to get at issues. This was, in short, really pretty good, even if some editing and budget issues keep it all from being exemplary.

Are either of the sequels any good or was this a once-off in terms of quality?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7