Thread: The Handmaid's Tale (Season 1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    More perplexing is the casting of Yvonne Strahovski in the role of Serena Joy, seemingly far too young for the role. (By comparison, the movie version had the character played by Faye Dunaway when she was nearly 50.)
    It's not just her, no? Robert Duvall was considerably older than Joseph Fiennes when he did the movie. I think there's something interesting to presenting this young vision of the Waterfords. For me at least, Offred and Serena being closer in age highlights the idea of them both being treated as property (just in different ways), because it doesn't come across as another the-old-seeking-a-youthful-substitute scenario. There's a trapped envy in Strahovski's Serena that's about something else entirely.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's not just her, no? Robert Duvall was considerably older than Joseph Fiennes when he did the movie. I think there's something interesting to presenting this young vision of the Waterfords. For me at least, Offred and Serena being closer in age highlights the idea of them both being treated as property (just in different ways), because it doesn't come across as another the-old-seeking-a-youthful-substitute scenario. There's a trapped envy in Strahovski's Serena that's about something else entirely.
    Interesting take. I'll consider that as things play out. Totally agree with you about hoping they don't extend this beyond one season. I put 'Season 1' in the thread title, really hoping it wasn't necessary.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    For me at least, Offred and Serena being closer in age highlights the idea of them both being treated as property (just in different ways), because it doesn't come across as another the-old-seeking-a-youthful-substitute scenario. There's a trapped envy in Strahovski's Serena that's about something else entirely.
    In time, this has proven to be true. After the initial clash with my expectations, this character has worked wonderfully within the world they have created.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    In time, this has proven to be true. After the initial clash with my expectations, this character has worked wonderfully within the world they have created.
    By the way, Serena Joy might be favorite character of the show, actually. What a fascinating woman, who seems to have willingly betrayed her own autonomy because she put an utmost confidence in the benevolence of so-called good virtuous men, only to discover too late that "men never change" and she's only made it easier for what she considers to be sins to run rampant.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary