View Poll Results: Personal Shopper

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

12 75.00%
  • Nay

4 25.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas)

What I dislike most about the supernatural aspect of this film is the way it blends with the naturalism and seems to assert that ghosts are legitimately a thing that may be possible in our real world. I like plenty of movies with supernatural elements, but this film seems to be made by someone who actually believes in ghosts.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I like plenty of movies with supernatural elements, but this film seems to be made by someone who actually believes in ghosts.
    I don't see why this matters. In certain cases it could even be a positive. Like a director could make a scarier film if he or she were actually scared of the monster.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    none of them had really been dead before
    Haha fair point.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I like plenty of movies with supernatural elements, but this film seems to be made by someone who actually believes in ghosts.
    I like this aspect of it! I like that the movie acknowledges its existence in a world of super-sophisticated people who don't bat an eye when talking about ghosts. Even the skeptic boyfriend character respects Maureen's drive and motivations.

Overall, I like a lot of individual aspects of this movie, but I still find the execution of the final act too pretentious and empty.

- - - - -
    This was atrocious, like the worst impulses of American literary novels and French cinema lumped together.

This is my favorite film thus far this year.

- - - - -
    See more movies? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like American literary novels and French cinema, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    This is tied with Logan as my favorite movie of the year right now and I've seen 67 films from this year thus far, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Well the intent of my follow-up post sorta backfired on me there, didn't it? Make you a deal --- enjoy the favorite and I'll keep thinking it's a not-very-good-movie.

Producer
    Was middle-of-the-road for it (leaning very slightly yay) but thought that backfire was deserved. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    This reminds me why I rarely comment in the database threads anymore.

Producer
    yeah, others' opinions in actual film threads are much more encouraged thus harder to glibly dismiss than in film news or general threads, so I get you on that. (What I don't get is, our pushbacks are always like much less a fraction of the hostility or aggressiveness that is started with, so why make like we're so terrible here)
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    Uh, yeah. Okaaaaay.

Tossing out stuff like "This is my favorite" or "I liked it," with no other context, is an empty post. It's an easy contradiction to make, can't be refuted, and becomes its own form of glib dismissal. So I threw back something just as empty -- "see more movies." When that was badly interpreted, I backed off. What's the damage, exactly?

I could have talked more about why I disliked the movie, but honestly, I'm a little worn out from trying. Too many of these threads argue from bad faith or offer quick and easy contradictions and nothing else.

TL;DR: This wasn't your argument, so why are you beefing?

There's some nice thoughts written on the first page.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Uh, yeah. Okaaaaay.

Tossing out stuff like "This is my favorite" or "I liked it," with no other context, is an empty post.
    And? I don't believe it is contravening any movie discussion constitution to do so?
    And it seems a bit weird to be upset with a positive post ("It's my favorite of the year") and then subsequently respond negatively by suggesting the opinion reflects a weakness in the person giving it ("See more movies"). Unless you take any dissenting opinion as a personal affront? I mean.... okay?

Edit to add: originally, I saw nothing wrong at all with the exchanges above, yours included, as it just seemed like typical forum banter. It's just surprising that underneath it all you were pissed about it...
    Last edited by transmogrifier; 09-07-2017 at 04:27 AM.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I haven't seen this movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the tone of the film, the atmosphere it gives off, but it is also a bit of a mess. It's too ambiguous for its own good, like it is trying to be clever but it really isn't. Too many things just don't add up. I still can't get my head around what exactly happened in the hotel room.

[
    ]

One thing for sure is she is a terrible Medium. Her brother has been following her around dropping glasses and she is completely oblivious to his presence.

Quote Quoting Rico (view post)
    I like the tone of the film, the atmosphere it gives off, but it is also a bit of a mess. It's too ambiguous for its own good, like it is trying to be clever but it really isn't. Too many things just don't add up. I still can't get my head around what exactly happened in the hotel room.

[
    ]

One thing for sure is she is a terrible Medium. Her brother has been following her around dropping glasses and she is completely oblivious to his presence.
    For a minute, reading this post, I confused this with the ending of Clouds of Sils Maria...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wasn't a fan of this.

The odd tonal shifts prevents this film from being scary or even unnerving. The weird ectoplasm ghost scene was just goofy. There's too many dangling subplots that don't go anywhere.

What was the purpose of [
    ]

Stewart is good. I like the texting scenes.

Maybe this brand of "arthouse horror" is not for me.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Obviously a weird movie, but I really enjoyed this. I don't understand what happened with, well, nearly anything in the film. And I'm not exaggerating about that. But I loved how observational this whole movie was. It devotes so much time to just watching Kristen Stewart. Watch her dress, make coffee, read a text, get increasingly impatient, get increasingly aroused, and so on. We are given so much time to just watch her process the things happening to her, from the mundane to the supernatural.

I don't even like Stewart as an actress. I think she was just playing herself in this film as she does most films. But apparently I like just watching Kristen Stewart google photos.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Obviously a weird movie, but I really enjoyed this. I don't understand what happened with, well, nearly anything in the film. And I'm not exaggerating about that. But I loved how observational this whole movie was. It devotes so much time to just watching Kristen Stewart. Watch her dress, make coffee, read a text, get increasingly impatient, get increasingly aroused, and so on. We are given so much time to just watch her process the things happening to her, from the mundane to the supernatural.
    Yep. I think I understand most of it (I really want/need to see it again), but it's more of a mood piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12