Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rep to the person who writes about Delirium Tremens.

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Once I drank a large glass of DELIRIUM TREMENS and it was DELICIOUS. I would RECOMMEND it to anybody who likes drinking STUFF.

Rep now.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    The last time I had it was years ago. It was too sweet for my tastes at the time. I ought to revisit it, tho, cuz I've grown a fondness for Belgian ales over the years.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Black Irish Plain Porter
    Style: Porter
    Brewery: Scotch Irish Brewing, Ottawa, ON

I'm not typically much of a porter fan, to be honest. I often find their flavours to be almost offensively dark and bitter, and just not very pleasant a drink. Funny enough, I'm a HUGE fan of a good stout, and being that the two beer styles' histories and production are so closely intertwined, it's weird that I find myself adoring one and not caring for the other.

This locally brewed porter is a different story, though. A rich, full flavour with hints of chocolate and coffee make it one of the most delicious dark beers I've ever come across.

Similar to many other beers of its kind, I find it to be an "occasion" beer. That is, I couldn't drink this every day. I enjoy having one once in a while because its heavy body makes it sit on the stomach like a brick. It's particularly nice around this time of year. I think of it like the espresso or cappuccino of beers - it's more of a dessert than a beverage in and of itself.

Appearance: a dark brown - almost black - colour with a thick brown head.

Smell: a light smell of coffee, and unlike many other beers the smell of alcohol is practically unnoticeable here.

Taste: very rich, dark flavours of barley malt, chocolate and coffee with a nutty finish.

Mouthfeel: light carbonation paired with the beer's heavy body give it a creamy texture, but not quite that of a stout. A good middleground between ales and stouts.

Drinkability: best enjoyed in sips, not gulps/chugging. And as I mentioned earlier, I find it a "have one to enjoy it" beer, as opposed to "drink 15 to get shammered".

Preferred Serving Type: on its own to give all its complex flavours the attention they deserve. On a cold night, after a warming meal of stew or roasted meats and potatoes.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."