Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Popular Movie Blindspot Thread

The Popular Movie Blindspot Thread

I've talked before about how much I hate it when people say, "You haven't seen [x movie] and you call yourself a movie person," etc. Well the time has come for me to stop complaining and actually do something about it.

I see you over there, hiding your cinephile sins deep inside, far away from the judgment of the world -- where they constantly gnaw at you in secret and whisper menacingly, "You'll never complete the IMDB Top 250."

At the end of the day it's okay if you haven't seen Mean Girls, and it's okay that I haven't seen The Goonies. But these movies are hugely popular for a reason, and I'm going to determine why, darn-blast-it.

This thread is a safe space for admitting popular movie blindspots. Only then can we begin our journey of watching, and healing.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-02-2022 at 03:59 PM.

I haven't seen Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, or Footloose (the movie, I've seen a play of it), nor do I intend to. I haven't seen a lot of musicals either, because of the ones I've seen, I've hated most of them.

I watched a lot of musicals when I was young because that's what my family was into, and I think it soured me on them for a while. I really like a lot of the musicals I watch now, but I still haven't had the guts to watch much Vincente Minnelli for instance. Big blindspot for me.

I haven't seen Flashdance or Dirty Dancing either. Happened to watch Footloose a few years back and really enjoyed myself, especially this scene/song: []

Here is my personal plan for this thread (feel free to play along if you want, or do anything else related to your popular movie blindspots):

It's sort of a companion to the Criterion Challenge. There I watch arthouse movies, here I watch popular movies. How do I determine what is popular? I'm glad you asked. It's systematic, of course!

Log into your Letterboxd account on a computer. Click "Films." Browse by year. Here you can see LB's most popular movie of each year (the one with the most views). Start with 2019. The most popular movie of that year is Parasite, currently at 1.7m views. If you have not seen Parasite, watch it. If you have already seen it then move to 2018: Into the Spider-Verse. Seen it already? Move to 2017: Get Out. Repeat the process as far back in time as you want. THEN start over with the second-most popular movie of 2019: Joker. Already seen it? The second-most popular movie of 2018 is Infinity War. Etc. Etc. Etc. For as long as you like.

I'm going way, way back. Like 100 years at least. But you can start over at the year 2000 if you want. Or 1975, 1960, 1927, whatever.

You will most likely be confronted with a movie you've been avoiding. That's the beauty of this system. There's no wiggle room. Like me, maybe you never got around to Dead Poets Society (the most popular movie of 1989, surprisingly). Now you have to watch it.

What I've seen so far using this method:
    [
    ]
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 06-22-2023 at 10:45 PM.

I like this.

I, indeed, have not seen The Goonies, nor Stand By Me nor Footloose.

Nor Animal House, Airplane and The Blues Brothers.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)

...and you call yourself a movie person. Huff and puff

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)

Airplane and Stand By Me are great. Goonies, Animal House, and Blues Brothers I too have not seen. I've definitely resisted them for whatever reason. They appear to be products of their time, likely untranslatable to the current day.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    ...and you call yourself a movie person. Huff and puff
    banned
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 04-30-2022 at 03:36 PM.

We should probably give our thoughts on the ones people haven't seen (in a not ass way) to help others make decisions of what to pick.

The Goonies - I'm the exact age for this demo, but for some reason, I completely missed the boat on it. I think my first viewing was around 2000. I enjoy the film, its got some real fun moments and some adventure, but it is lined up for kids at that age group.

Stand By Me - Unlike The Goonies (set in the 80s), because SBM is set in an era I did not grow up in (50s), its easier for me to vanish into the story. In my experience, boys seem to have a stronger reaction to this film than girls, which makes sense. Its timeless, wonderful, hilarious, sad, poignant, and receives the rare rating of me of 10/10. I do not give those out lightly, but it meets my criteria of I would not change a frame.

Animal House - Really funny the first time I watched it, really really rapey the 2nd time I watched it. Probably won't watch again.

Airplane - Hysterical.

Blues Brothers - Fun and silly, and if you love blues like I do, its a treat. Could use a trim though.

Producer
    Going by Letterboxd's most popular, not-too-recent ones, my top five would be:

1. Donnie Darko
    2. Dead Poets Society
    3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    4. Almost Famous
    5. Amadeus
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I'm gonna start my list:

spoiler for length

[
    ]

I picked movies the way Stalker suggested, but I went down the line of each year to the first movie I hadn't seen but that I am interested in seeing, just didn't get around to it yet.

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Going by Letterboxd's most popular, not-too-recent ones, my top five would be:
    Have you avoided Amadeus for any particular reason? It's a personal fave. Acting, editing, music, humor... I can't imagine you not getting something out of it.

I also haven't seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I almost saw it at one of those midnight singalongs but it was sold out, and I've never been able to pull the trigger at home. Seems like a chore.

I'm gonna start my list:
    Let me know when you plan to watch 5 Centimeters Per Second and I'll join you.

If you do a Shame/Blue Valentine double feature and make it through intact then you win a $20 Adam and Eve gift card.

I haven't heard of that 5 Centimeters Per Second (before making that list), but I'm always down for anime movie. I usually mostly into the more sci-fi/actiony anime, but a couple years ago I blind bought Your Name because the blu was only labeled for a buck, so why not, and hoooooly shit what a film.

I haven't heard of that 5 Centimeters Per Second (before making that list), but I'm always down for anime movie. I usually mostly into the more sci-fi/actiony anime, but a couple years ago I blind bought Your Name because the blu was only labeled for a buck, so why not, and hoooooly shit what a film.
    5 cms is probably my least favorite Shinkai, but it isn't bad. Worth checking out.

I've been for the most part keeping up with anime films from the last 10 or so years, so if anyone wants a recommendation, I'm here.
    Pantheon, S2 (C. Silverstein, 2023) ☆
    Pantheon, S1 (C. Silverstein, 2022)
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garc?a (S. Peckinpah, 1974)
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden, Dragon (A. Lee, 2000)
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (J. McNaughton, 1986) ☆
    Blowup (M. Antonioni, 1966) ☆
    Io capitano (M. Garrone, 2023) ☆
    Raging Bull (M. Scorsese, 1980)
    Network (S. Lumet, 1976) ☆
    Sideways (A. Payne, 2004) ☆

First time ☆

Producer
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Have you avoided Amadeus for any particular reason? It's a personal fave. Acting, editing, music, humor... I can't imagine you not getting something out of it.
    Just not getting around to it yet (partly because I need to find the time for a film of that length).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Just not getting around to it yet (partly because I need to find the time for a film of that length).
    Oh right. I forget the movie is long as hell.

First pass at watching the #1 most popular movie of each year according to LB (if I haven't seen it already).

2018: Into the Spider-Verse. I was worried early on this would be overwhelming. But the characters really came through, and my brain didn't have to struggle to make sense of the wild-to-the-point-of-abstract action scenes. I loved it. My new favorite comic book movie. Four stars.

1989: Dead Poets Society. For a movie about poetry, I wish there was more poetry. Bright Star and Paterson this is not. But it's charming to watch people get excited about literature, and it's a decently satisfying drama overall. I wouldn't blame anyone for turning it off when the students hoist the English teacher upon their shoulders. Three stars, but juuuuuust barely.

Next up: Bunch of old ass movies, starting with Charlie Chaplin's "A Dog's Life," the #1 most popular movie of 1918.
    Last edited by Idioteque Stalker; 05-02-2022 at 04:10 PM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I know I've never seen Schindler's List or The Green Mile.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Oh yeah, Green Mile. Good one. I haven't see it either.

Schindlers List is brilliant filmmaking, but a tough watch.

I enjoyed Green Mile enough, but I haven't seen it in years.

I haven't seen any of the old biblical epics that "most" people have - Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc.

Never seen Gone With the Wind.

The only movie with Laurence Olivier I have seen is Rebecca.

Never seen the original Planet of the Apes, or any of the new trilogy.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    I know I've never seen Schindler's List
    Dude...

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Dude...
    This is a shame free zone for talking blindspots. I bet you have some of your own. Share them!

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I haven't seen any of the old biblical epics that "most" people have - Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, etc.
    I own most of those on vhs. Grew up watching them (religious family). Theres tons of them.

Never seen Gone With the Wind.
    Me either. Don't intend to.

Never seen the original Planet of the Apes, or any of the new trilogy.
    *deep breath*....Burton's > original, and its embarrassing to sit through. I have just never got into that series.

The new trilogy is good.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast