Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The nominate the next Series for Duke to watch while on paternity leave thread

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Question The nominate the next Series for Duke to watch while on paternity leave thread

Baby is due today. I have the next three weeks off. So the wife and I are getting ready for a lot of being up 24/7 time...

I'm going to queue up a bunch of stuff for us but looking for help on what to tackle.

Stuff already on the table, the Wire, Mad Men, True Detective, all of the Marvel series we didn't get to... Anything on Hulu or Amazon Prime....

Let's hear your must watch stuff.

Comedy
    1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Producer
    To help counter-programming serious dramas, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is infectious, fast-talking, high-production-value comedy fun.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Download Viki app (free) on an Amazon Fire-stick. Watch I'm Not a Robot or Fight My Way (both are K-dramas). If you have no access to Viki, Hulu has What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?, but that one has some serious K-drama tropes you'll either like or find frustrating.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

I assume you can download that on Fire Cube too?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

With the two of my wife's pregnancies I was around for, we went through both The Office and Scrubs. Light fare is good when you're more tired than you've ever been in your entire life.

- - - - -
    Congrats! and cigars all around

I think Skitch makes a good point. I'd choose shows that are short and light. Stuff you can fall asleep watching and not miss anything. I'd stay away from anything that's violent or depressing. (I mean, Amazon has some good originals but I'm not sure I'd want to watch any of them with a baby in my arms.)

For mysteries, go with the genteel shit of yesteryear ("Columbo," "Murder, She Wrote"), English drawing room stuff ("Midsomer Murders," "Death in Paradise"), or the line-up USA had years ago ("Monk," "Burn Notice," "Psych," "White Collar"). These are fun diversions that require limited attention, with plenty of humor and no real violence.

Other than that, I'd load up on sitcoms. Either stuff you watched and liked as a teenager (anything that played on NBC in the 1990s?) or stuff that you've heard about and never seen or at least haven't seen in a long while ("Malcom in the Middle," "That 70s Show," "Scrubs," "The Office," "The New Girl," "Sex and the City," "The Good Place").

The New Girl was another one we liked around those times. I don't want to speak for you Duke, but I was in NO mood for anything dark or depressing or weird. Plenty scary enough holding that kid.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Silicon Valley are also up there.

Good points on the dark and depressing stuff. Though I can't really say that I've ever been depressed watching a series.... I'd have to think about that.

Burn Notice is a good one! Castle too.

Maybe I'd introduce her to Firefly too.

- - - - -
    If you haven't seen Fillion's new thing, "The Rookie," it just finished its first season and it's worth a watch.

Also:

"Poldark." British show. 4 seasons on Amazon Prime. It's about a guy who returns to England after the American revolution and tries to rescue his family business, except everybody in his hometown keeps fucking with him. Good drama, good action, great romance --- it's pure bodice-ripper. If this were a book, it would be a Harlequin imprint with Fabio on the cover, except it's also well written and well paced. The first season is exceptional soap opera and I couldn't stop watching. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A0U6kQNCN0

"Rake." Australian show. 5 seasons on Netflix. Think "House," if "House" were about a weaselly, smart-ass lawyer who is constantly getting into trouble because he sleeps around, does a fuckton of drugs, and bends the law more often than not. Seriously entertaining week after week and it has a terrific supporting cast. This is one of my favorites from the last half-decade.

Ever seen Breaking Bad or Cowboy Bebop​? Because if I had to pick a favorite two shows of all time, they'd be the ones, without a single doubt.

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Ever seen Breaking Bad or Cowboy Bebop​? Because if I had to pick a favorite two shows of all time, they'd be the ones, without a single doubt.
    Yes to both. But thank you.

That's definitely the point of this thread though- what are the MUST WATCH series that I never got around to watching.

The Wire / Breaking Bad / Sopranos / GoT (i guess) / etc....

I know you've seen Sopranos/Wire/Thrones...

But what about:
    Mindhunter
    Better Call Saul
    Oz (until it gets to the split seasons)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

LOL Duke thinks he's going to actually have the time and energy to watch TV with a new baby. ;-)
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Have you seen Rescue Me?

I liked Rescue Me. Had its moments.

That was during the Shield / Nip Tuck days too. FX had a good lineup.

- - - - -
    It just occurred to me that no one has approved Duke's paternity leave from Matchcut.

Who's gonna post all the MCU and Disney news in his absence?

Sorry, Duke. Unless you can find someone to cover your shifts you can't go.

I heard TGM's favorite movie is a Disney movie. Maybe he can step up his game?

The good news is there won't be much MCU news worth posting before Black Widow movie gets here next May. All the fun news with Phase 4 has already broke. I strategically planned this with my wife so we could have the baby in the fall, and still have several months before our next MCU event is here. (I'm kidding but it might not sound like I'm kidding)

Considering the thread title still hasn't been fixed, I'd say Duke's already on maternity leave.

Yeah, how naive

What did you go with?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Still in the hospital so we are just watching crap for now.

Baby Duke (Dukeess) arrived last night at 10:33pm, 7 pounds 1 oz, 29.25 in,

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

Congrats Father Duke! I'd buy you some bubble gum.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Awesome! Congrats!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)

Fantastic news! Congratulations to you & Mrs Duke!

Congratulations, man!

What will be his first MCU movie?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast