Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    never watched it, but i like the manga. pretty sure the anime is even better since it's quite famous for its technicality.

and :rep: for you, sir. i fucking love lain.

i have been thinking about outlaw star just today. it's not a great show by any standard, but there are a couple of episodes that just way above its average. in fact those few episodes are so freaking awesome that the show's slightly recommendable.

i read some issues of D. Grayman, the manga. and think it's a fine copycat of so many series out there. nothing extraordinarily standout, but nothing offensively bad either.

actually just like bleach. which i still read for the artwork, but totally give up in the narrative department.
    What are your top ten shows?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    What are your top ten shows?
    gah!!! can never make one up. besides i don't consider myself that well-versed in anime. manga is more my line.

but if you don't mind me slapdashing top five together.

1. Mashin Hero Wataru. (fucking love it as a child. watch it quite recently, and still adore the hell out of it.)
    2. Serial Experiments Lain.
    3. Patlabor (sadly enough. never watched it to the end.)
    4. Blue Seed (is it that good? or i just love 3x3 eyes too much?)
    5. i can kinda see Trigun being here.

out of your list, i love Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and GTO as manga. never watched any of it in anime format.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Though this is the anime discussion thread, I'd very much be interested in finding out what your favorite manga are, lovejuice, as I've never really read any.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Though this is the anime discussion thread, I'd very much be interested in finding out what your favorite manga are, lovejuice, as I've never really read any.
    Yeah same here particularly because a ton of mangas have been turned into animes and if the manga is good the anime is usually good as well. I haven't found many shows that have done a disservice to the mangas.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

my favorite manga ever is Sanshirou no Jijyou. it's never popular enough to be made into anime, so really few people outside the east asian know about it. if you google it, hardly anything related to the series come up, in fact.

a more well-known examples are city hunter and maps. those three are like the trinity of my manga religion. (3x3 eyes used to be here, but was demoted because of the suckfest near the end.)

gah!!! can never make one up. besides i don't consider myself that well-versed in anime. manga is more my line.

but if you don't mind me slapdashing top five together.

1. Mashin Hero Wataru. (fucking love it as a child. watch it quite recently, and still adore the hell out of it.)
    2. Serial Experiments Lain.
    3. Patlabor (sadly enough. never watched it to the end.)
    4. Blue Seed (is it that good? or i just love 3x3 eyes too much?)
    5. i can kinda see Trigun being here.

out of your list, i love Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist, and GTO as manga. never watched any of it in anime format.
    Are you caught up on the Naruto manga? Some crazy stuff going down these days. I really need to see the two Patlabor films since I'm a fan of Oshii. Been searching for a torrent of Sky Crawlers (pretty sure it's been released).
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I want more people to watch Now and Then, Here and There and tell me their thoughts.

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/now-and-th...vx3vxeDCLbLQrw
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Are you caught up on the Naruto manga? Some crazy stuff going down these days.
    i read the thai version. sasuke's just joining force with the akatsuki. i LOVE those akatsuki guys/gal, all ten of them. freaking cool design, esp. pain and sasori. i also like how powerful they all are. this kinda show is only as good as its antagonists, i'll say.

orochimaru, on the other hand, is a big disappointment.

I want more people to watch Now and Then, Here and There and tell me their thoughts.

I was actually going to start this instead of my recent viewing of MSG 00, but the copy I wound up with was without subtitles (but dual audio--I could've watched it in English, but I don't do that).

will def. do that. heard a lot of good things about it as well.

will def. do that. heard a lot of good things about it as well.
    It's fairly brutal.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I was actually going to start this instead of my recent viewing of MSG 00, but the copy I wound up with was without subtitles (but dual audio--I could've watched it in English, but I don't do that).
    Yeah I'm not a dub man either.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

i read the thai version. sasuke's just joining force with the akatsuki. i LOVE those akatsuki guys/gal, all ten of them. freaking cool design, esp. pain and sasori. i also like how powerful they all are. this kinda show is only as good as its antagonists, i'll say.

orochimaru, on the other hand, is a big disappointment.
    Dude, don't know how you can wait, so much crazy stuff happens.

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Mushishi
    Watched the first disc of this. After the first two episodes I thought it was kind of boring, but it got increasingly better over the next three. Will probably continue with it.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Let's see, lots of stuff people have gone over lots of opinions to express.

I'm currently still doing the long animes of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece as Sycophant said. Because I got so into each of the anime, I am now reading the manga for each each week.

Naruto had a great beginning. Good side characters and a good overall story line they were going for. But now especially where the manga is today, it feels like the author is tired and wants to stop writing it. I've stopped watching Shippuden because they were doing about two manga per episode but now they keep doing filler and the story lines go really slow. It took them 26 episodes to do the first story line and it went so slowly. I've lost most of my hope for this series. I still would recommend it from the beginning up until the end of the first series before it went into filler mania. The Akatsuki are interesting characters and I like them when they're used but everything is just focused on Naruto now. The side characters have all disappeared.

Bleach had a tough beginning to get into but it picked up well. I don't recommend this one unless you can take on long form anime. So Sycophant I do not recommend this one to you. The thing that this show has better then most is a really good villain. The Main villain was really well thought out. The series looks like it could be in it's last 20% and if it's not, I have no idea where they could go, and I think it should end soon. The problem with this one is they just introduced too many characters and allowed the fan's to dictate which side characters they liked best. They recently had a couple weeks of dumb side characters doing little lame fights in the manga and it wasn't worth reading. This one seems to have gone into broken record mode at the moment and they keep doing the same fights over and over of Ichigo not being able to win, and then finding it in himself to beat him.

I am in love with One Piece and I am a bit surprised that there isn't more support for this one. It's much further along then both Naruto and Bleach and it has more character development then the two others. It is harder to get into as it beats both out of the water since it currently has as much episodes as both Naruto and Bleach combined, but the big difference is as you read the manga, you can tell that right now the author loves what he is doing. He knows how to properly fill each manga with something special. There were story lines which were much too long and didn't have a point. The skypeia (Sky Island) story line is much too long and boring. But there he seemingly didn't know what to do, but now he's getting into the home stretch and he knows what he wants out of his characters. The story line does take a long while to even reveal who the main villain is going to be, mostly because it's much more about the main characters on the boat then it is about anyone else.

----

I started D. Gray Man. I have finished eight episodes so far and I really haven't been able to get into it. The main villain is so ridiculous. The only thing I've really liked about this one is the theme.

One long form one I'm currently enjoying is Soul Eater. I've finished 17 episodes and it's been getting quite good. Good characters and really cool animation.

----

Then the only others I'm currently watching. I'm doing a second time through on Champloo since it's been a long time since the first time. I'm doing my first time on both Hellsing and Neon Genesis. And I'm 4 episodes into Eureka seven, but I'll only keep going if I can get a hold of the episodes.

As for favorites of ones I've seen, well I'll do that later today if I have time.

(3x3 eyes used to be here, but was demoted because of the suckfest near the end.)
    I have fond memories of reading 3x3 eyes when I was younger, even though I only ever read the first handful of volumes. Of course, now that I'm getting nostalgic and looking it up, I'm reading that Dark Horse actually cancelled the run after volume eight, anyways, so I wouldn't have gotten much further. Too bad about the ending, though. I can't believe that it was 40 volumes in total! I missed so much...
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Watched the first disc of this. After the first two episodes I thought it was kind of boring, but it got increasingly better over the next three. Will probably continue with it.
    It's not amazing, it could/should probably drop down in my list quite a bit but I just love it's atmosphere.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    Then the only others I'm currently watching. I'm doing a second time through on Champloo since it's been a long time since the first time. I'm doing my first time on both Hellsing and Neon Genesis. And I'm 4 episodes into Eureka seven, but I'll only keep going if I can get a hold of the episodes.

As for favorites of ones I've seen, well I'll do that later today if I have time.
    Watch the Hellsing OVAs, they're newer and better.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Naruto had a great beginning. Good side characters and a good overall story line they were going for....The Akatsuki are interesting characters and I like them when they're used but everything is just focused on Naruto now. The side characters have all disappeared.
    agree with your last statement here, although the real problem, i think, is sasuke. it's obvious kishimoto's in love with this spoiled brat. i too wish, he spends more time with side characters.

Bleach...This one seems to have gone into broken record mode at the moment and they keep doing the same fights over and over of Ichigo not being able to win, and then finding it in himself to beat him.
    i read the manga, and the gig gets old like >10 issues ago. it follows the rotten footprint/formula of every popular manga ever since established by DBZ. Bleach is slightly above average by its art and how it never took itself too seriously.

I am in love with One Piece and I am a bit surprised that there isn't more support for this one....The skypeia (Sky Island) story line is much too long and boring.
    but it has the thunder god!! as a big physics nerd, i love this villain. if you are "light," you must be the most powerful mother in the whole universe (although later on there is this guy who's "gravity/darkness".) i agree with you, oda's really passionate about his work. i rather prefer he better structures the story. right now, it's one random arch after the other.

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I have fond memories of reading 3x3 eyes when I was younger, even though I only ever read the first handful of volumes...I can't believe that it was 40 volumes in total! I missed so much...
    1-5 ---> dear lord, thank for gracing us human with this heavenly comics.
    6-11 ---> amazingly well-paced, and very strong.
    11-20 ---> err...kinda pointless, but ok.
    21-30 ---> totally different from what it was at the beginning, but very fun and exciting to read.
    31-39 ---> reading these is like watching the last installment of godfather trilogy.
    40 ---> it hurts. badly.

I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows. It took reading the Welcome to NHK manga and remembering you guys raving about the anime for me to figure it out.

Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that. The reason I love cartoons like Batman: TAS and Justice League is that they're not--they create original stories, original timelines, they even reshape the characters to be different from their comic book counterparts. I like being able to differentiate. It annoys me when I watch an anime and a certain scene is toned down or handled not as well as they did in the manga.

I think about the two anime shows I love: Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop. Both original creations. Whenever I hear about a certain acclaimed show, my first instinct is to seek out the manga it's based on. Then after I've read it, I would lose interest in seeing the adaptation. Case in point: GTO. I have the entire manga series collected. I have never and don't think I'll ever watch the anime. Same with Berserk, Dragon Ball Z, Monster, etc.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I guess I can see that for things like DC comics where there are so many different versions of the same characters. But I don't know if I can see it for comics which follow one path. Watching filler episodes of anime is really hard because they're just so awful, they stray from the content already created and there is little to no growth. The problem is we're in an age where that can't really happen anymore. We can't have someone create something original and then have multiple differing versions of those original characters done by other people into something good. JSA, Batman, those can work because they've been around for so long. I don't think it's possible for anime to be able to take current characters and create something new. It either has to be straight from the comic or an original work.

I've read a few things saying that Welcome to the NHK actually underwent several changes to its plot points, mostly minor. However, since people "read it first," they, as people always do when they first read something in prose or in comic, held it against the series for changing anything at all. While I haven't read the manga, I thought it used its medium as television anime very well.

Some of my favorite shows, such as Azumanga Daioh, are practically recreations of the manga. Interestingly, my favorite AD episode is one that contains no material from the comic strip, but was written entirely for the show.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I think I've finally figured out my aversion to anime shows...Most popular anime shows are based on manga, right? If they're straight adaptations, I think I'm just more inclined to read than to watch. Unfortunately, most of them are straight adaptations, and I don't like that.
    if there's a choice, i too prefer manga to anime. but then there exist many good shows that are not manga-based (as you mentioned). and then there are shows like trigun which are significantly different from its manga counterpart. moreover if i really like the manga, it feels fresh to "read" the story again in a different format, Rurouni Kenshin for example. (RK is a curious example because the anime actually sucks when it tries to build its own story arch.)

so i agree with you that manga's preferable to anime, but i don't think that's enough reason for "aversion" to the medium.

I guess I can see that for things like DC comics where there are so many different versions of the same characters. But I don't know if I can see it for comics which follow one path. Watching filler episodes of anime is really hard because they're just so awful, they stray from the content already created and there is little to no growth. The problem is we're in an age where that can't really happen anymore. We can't have someone create something original and then have multiple differing versions of those original characters done by other people into something good. JSA, Batman, those can work because they've been around for so long. I don't think it's possible for anime to be able to take current characters and create something new. It either has to be straight from the comic or an original work.
    Well, I agree with this, and that's not what I'd rather see. What I'm saying is that since this is the case, I'd rather read the original manga, and that means my anime watching is really limited.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I actually generally have a policy of avoiding the novel or comic form of any television or film projects. I'll go back and explore those later, but I find I want my viewing... untainted?

Not that I think there's anything wrong with the way number8's doing things or anything; just ain't my way.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast