Page 2796 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 179622962696274627862794279527962797279828062846 ... LastLast
Results 69,876 to 69,900 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

That's silly. But the Oscars in general are silly, so... *shrug* I guess.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Brilliant

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night. Been about 5 years.

It's the best of the trilogy.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Watched The Dark Knight Rises last night. Been about 5 years.

It's the best of the trilogy.
    Its damn good.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Messiest plotting (John Blake just knows he was Batman? the Talia stuff too), but the highest peaks. Big fan.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Messiest plotting (John Blake just knows he was Batman? the Talia stuff too), but the highest peaks. Big fan.
    I thought the Blake explanation was fine.

But yeah the Talia / Bane stuff leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

I dunno...the way Nolan left in Talia's hilarious death flop knocks a whole-ass star off it for me.

[
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The passing of time is a huge problem in Dark Knight Rises.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Bane > Joker

Oh the fight with Batman and Catwoman on the roof against thugs was embarrassingly, painfully awful.

It's a $200-million plus blockbuster and you have guys in the background flailing around like they're being beaten up by The Invisible Man? Awful.

Nolan can direct the shit out of vehicular stuff, but hand to hand combat he's clueless.
    Last edited by megladon8; 09-09-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Watched Dr. Strangelove last night. I hadn't seen it since, jeez, probably 2002/2003. Was never huge on it before, but always thought maybe I was just too young to really get it.

And I will confirm that's the case, because wow, what a great movie.

Newfound appreciation for it. Great stuff.

I thought the Blake explanation was fine.

But yeah the Talia / Bane stuff leaves a lot of unanswered questions.
    Yeah, but how does he just know? "You seemed as upset as I was; therefore Batman."

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I dunno...the way Nolan left in Talia's hilarious death flop knocks a whole-ass star off it for me.

[
    ]
    "Do you want another take, Chris?"

"Why? We got it."

"..."

Yeah, but how does he just know? "You seemed as upset as I was; therefore Batman."
    He's gone through almost the same circumstances as Wayne, and recognized the same rage being hidden. Put two and two together (because really, Wayne HAS to be on thr short list for "who's Batman?").

I took it similar to how victims of abuse are often able to "tell" just by looking at and speaking to someone, that they too have that demon. Something others without that shared trauma couldn't understand.

I admit it's thin, but it worked fine for me.
    Last edited by megladon8; 09-11-2020 at 10:16 PM.

He's gone through almost the same circumstances as Wayne, and recognized the same rage being hidden. Put two and two together (because really, Wayne HAS to be on thr short list for "who's Batman?").

I took it similar to how victims of abuse are often able to "tell" just by looking at and speaking to someone, that they too have that demon. Something others without that shards trauma couldn't understand.

Same. An alcoholic can hear right through another alcoholics bullshit. Also, in the really real world, especially one 'grounded in reality' (the go-to phrasing for the Nolan trilogy), Batman would 1. have a damn hard time hiding his identity and 2. eventually have to quit because being Batman would take an unbelievable toll on the human body.

Welp, I wanted something a bit more concrete. It felt very "first draft" to me. "We know he has to figure it out, so many something like this? We can tighten it later."

Welp, I wanted something a bit more concrete. It felt very "first draft" to me. "We know he has to figure it out, so many something like this? We can tighten it later."
    Youre obviously not alone. It was a common complaint. One of many of TDKR that never occurred to me while watching it.

Another was the "how did he get back from the prison to Gotham? PLOTHOLE." What? He knew people all over the world. Even broke he had more than enough connections to catch a cargo flight back to America. "You're fan-fictioning!" oh ffs. As a general rule I avoid engaging that conversation (no reflection on the Robin thing, that I get why it could bug people).

I still want my JGL Batman Beyond movie, goddammit.

Oh and if we are going to talk TDKR nitpicking, how about how the hell old is Bane supposed to be?

Flashbacks show him as a grown man in the Pit. But Talia has gone from being a child to a full grown woman (and it's not like she's supposed to be 20...she's obviously in her early-to-mid 30s).

So is Bane, like, pushing 50?

I thought he was younger than Batman, or at most the same age.

I love the movie, watched it this week, it's a big sloppy mess but I love it.

My biggest plot hole or nitpick is: Why, if Bruce Wayne goes broke due to a criminal break-in at the stock exchange, does that stick? Maybe I don't understand stocks well enough, but wouldn't the whole system be like, well obviously these were illegitimate trades/actions, we should reset everything to what was happening the second before Bane started shooting guns in our stock exchange building. Ergo, Bruce Wayne isn't broke... ergo, Bane's plan faces a significant setback. It's one thing if they hack in and cover their tracks, but they're riding motorcycles in the building and shooting people. Stop the trades!
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    I love TDR but yeah it does have some pretty notable issues. Also I spent the whole movie rooting for Bane.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I can't look past Heath's villain. Bane's a good one, the joker's a Milestone. Less Brute force, in fact not all, but more cunning and devious, which makes him tougher to beat. It's a far more powerful movie, especially when Bruce has to make that call. A no win scenario, gut-wrenching. Perfect ending, TDKR ends with a ticking bomb scenario. I recall no memorable action scenes after the opening airplane bit. It's still good, but that bar was too high for me. TDKR didn't come level, let alone clear that bar methinks.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I love the movie, watched it this week, it's a big sloppy mess but I love it.

My biggest plot hole or nitpick is: Why, if Bruce Wayne goes broke due to a criminal break-in at the stock exchange, does that stick? Maybe I don't understand stocks well enough, but wouldn't the whole system be like, well obviously these were illegitimate trades/actions, we should reset everything to what was happening the second before Bane started shooting guns in our stock exchange building. Ergo, Bruce Wayne isn't broke... ergo, Bane's plan faces a significant setback. It's one thing if they hack in and cover their tracks, but they're riding motorcycles in the building and shooting people. Stop the trades!
    But those changes (at least with Bruce) were verified with his own fingerprints (werent they?). Or were the fingerprints for the bomb thingy?

If they were for the stock market bit, I agree the rest of market could be reset except for Wayne.

Edit: I also have a limited knowledge of how all things stocks work.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    But those changes (at least with Bruce) were verified with his own fingerprints (werent they?). Or were the fingerprints for the bomb thingy?

If they were for the stock market bit, I agree the rest of market could be reset except for Wayne.

Edit: I also have a limited knowledge of how all things stocks work.
    Yeah, but the fingerprint was stolen and it's pretty clear Bruce wasn't actually present at the exchange when the trades were made. I guess the argument could be that he might have been somewhere else making those trades, but that'd be a hell of a coincidence. Pretty simple for Bruce to say, um I didn't do this and here's why so give me my money back. I don't think it even risks revealing his Batman identity.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    Yeah, but the fingerprint was stolen and it's pretty clear Bruce wasn't actually present at the exchange when the trades were made. I guess the argument could be that he might have been somewhere else making those trades, but that'd be a hell of a coincidence. Pretty simple for Bruce to say, um I didn't do this and here's why so give me my money back. I don't think it even risks revealing his Batman identity.
    I think the rest of the world was too concerned with the complete take over of a major city by a terrorist for months on end to worry about one missing billionaires billions.