Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Marvel)

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Marvel)

Starts on 3/19.

Looks like Zemo is back. Will we get backstory on Bucky's brainwashing?
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 03-08-2021 at 04:36 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Probably although who knows? I'm mostly watching the show for the buddy cop elements that look to be pretty amusing.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Pretty cool how these series kinda bridge the films together as far as release date goes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Ooh, man. So looking forward to this. Is Bucky jealous that Sam got the shield?
    Last edited by Spun Lepton; 03-15-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

In that scene I felt like he was portraying guilt and shame. Like he wishes he could have the shield but knows hes done too much wrong.

Producer
    At first I thought this was going to be a higher-budget Agents of SHIELDS (absolutely meant that as compliment), then sank back a little as the middle parts seem to be a "heavier" show than that, but by the end I was intrigued by both leads' individual stories, which feel teased out more engagingly than I would have first thought, especially Sam's. Glad the show won't completely ignore race here (both the scene at the bank and the ending), and I hope they actually follow through with it.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    At first I thought this was going to be a higher-budget Agents of SHIELDS (absolutely meant that as compliment), then sank back a little as the middle parts seem to be a "heavier" show than that, but by the end I was intrigued by both leads' individual stories, which feel teased out more engagingly than I would have first thought, especially Sam's. Glad the show won't completely ignore race here (both the scene at the bank and the ending), and I hope they actually follow through with it.
    I agree all around!

Only being six episodes I worry that they may begin to make more time for the team-up head-butting and the villainous plot, but I'm hopeful, if left with a bit "Oh, that's it?" as this premiere ended.

An instant 180 in my feelings in loving WandaVision's weekly release working so well when this feels written like a standard binge-able streaming show.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I was surprised and impressed with that opening . I hope they didn't blow their budget in that first episode. I really like the angle they are taking Bucky and Sam. More significant and perfect for each character.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I liked the first episode although it was more on the depressing end. Guess both this and WandaVision are not afraid to tackle PTSD or mental issues head on. Which is perfectly fine. Although didn't Sam Wilson get snapped and that's why he was gone for most of the time?
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Yeah Sam got snapped.

Good first episode. Loved the scenes with Sam and his sister. I'm sure the Bucky story line (somewhat familiar material as it is) is gonna make me cry vis-a-vis the old man.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Producer
    This really good episode has me look up its showrunner afterwards, something I didn't do with WandaVision, as much as I enjoyed most of it. Malcolm Spellman hasn't produced anything I watched until now, but the way he managed his own world-building within a larger MCU framework with some intriguing weightiness, including race (most telling of new Cap is him using police siren to call Sam and Bucky, especially juxtaposed with Sam's encounter earlier), is pretty striking. Plus, he did all that while maintain slick action and fun banter, the latter which I was dreading a bit after the trailers but worked much better within an episode's context.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yeah good episode. I was worried they'd be light on the racial angle, but given this episode, and the introduction of [
    ], it sure seems they are not. But then I had hoped for more in WV about Wanda's actions and such, so who knows.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The two trucks fight scene is probably the dumbest and worst choreographed action scene in anything MCU related so far.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    The two trucks fight scene is probably the dumbest and worst choreographed action scene in anything MCU related so far.
    Yeah but the back and forth between Sam and Bucky was spot on.

I'm enjoying it but that was... really bad.

I liked how Bucky ran up to the second truck, but we got no reaction shot for the people driving the first who would have obviously seen him. Like seconds go by and no walkie-talkie "someone's here!" no attempt to I dunno ram him or something. Just sorta chill I guess lol.

--Homer

I really liked the second episode more since they managed to walk the line between buddy cop comedy and the two main leads' issues. Also I wanted a flashback of [
    ]

The new Cap annoys me to no end. What a tosser.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Finally we got Sharon and Zemo. About time.
    Blog!

I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    But everybody's gone
    To face this on my own

Producer
    Well that ending was a doozy, and the final shot so haunting.

[]

Strong episode throughout too, cohered by a central debate that Sam, Zemo, Karli, and John all has viewpoints on, with the latter acting out on it in a most disastrous way. So far I've found the even-numbered episodes the best, but I can't see how this cliffhanger's momentum and implication won't carry over to the next one
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

Yeah it's quite good. Nice what it's been able to accomplish in almost half the time compared to WV. It feels fuller, even if some parts are a bit rushed or contracted.

--Homer

[
    ]

I didn't expect the show to include such thoughts, so it's a nice change of pace for Marvel.

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Yeah it's quite good. Nice what it's been able to accomplish in almost half the time compared to WV. It feels fuller, even if some parts are a bit rushed or contracted.
    It's really not half the time though. There were a couple of barely 30 min episodes in WandaVision.

If we assume both shows have fairly similar time excised due to credits and whatnot, it's not far. WV hit in about 6 episodes what F/WS hit in 4, in terms of total time. And I daresay the latter has done more with its 4 than the former had with its 6.

--Homer

It's not close. sub 30 min episodes felt so cheap.

WV: Total Time: 281 minutes (4 hours 4min)
    Episode 1 - 22 min
    Episode 2 - 29 min
    Episode 3 - 25 min
    Episode 4 - 28 min
    Episode 5 - 34 min
    Episode 6 - 30 min <-- 3 hour mark
    Episode 7 - 32 min
    Episode 8 - 41 min
    Episode 9 - 40 min

FWS: 177 minutes (~3 hours)
    Episode 1 - 42 min
    Episode 2 - 43 min
    Episode 3 - 46 min
    Episode 4 - 46 min

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast