Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Anime Series Discussion Thread

You can watch it on crunchyroll. That's legal.

Oh you silly pirates. I'll be patient.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Oh you silly pirates. I'll be patient.
    But... but I provided a legitimate option. o.O

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

Sorry I didn't see your response because of the new page lol. Thanks!

Quote Quoting Philip J. Fry (view post)
    Little With Academia feels soooo much like Kiki's Delivery Service. Good shit.
    It's a real delight. Also one of the best looking animated TV series you can watch. It's glorious.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    It's a real delight. Also one of the best looking animated TV series you can watch. It's glorious.
    Indeed it was! I finished it yesterday and I enjoyed every minute of it. They even managed to make Diana an interesting character!

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I've had Toonami on in the background for inspiration while writing in recent months, and have been hooked on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. However, I feel like there are instances where a lot of the dialogue comes off as long-winded and expository, not just in that, but in most anime I watch. I grew up on anime in my adolescence, so it didn't bother me then...it's just something I've come to notice now from a critic. Is that common in most anime, and if so how do you guys see past it when watching something?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Its easier for me to deal with it in tv shows than in movies, because I can take a breather between episodes. A long winded movie youre in for longer haul. I don't know if I would call it a trope of anime or not, I've certainly seen plenty of it, but I tend to lean towards more action themed shows. Syc would know for sure as I feel he watches a wider range of the genre than me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Stand Alone complex is such a great experience all the way through. I don't think I've been more invested in a series.

One of my favorite episodes is when the son has his brain implanted in a tank to seek vengeance on his parents. That's 30 minutes of perfection.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I've had Toonami on in the background for inspiration while writing in recent months, and have been hooked on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. However, I feel like there are instances where a lot of the dialogue comes off as long-winded and expository, not just in that, but in most anime I watch. I grew up on anime in my adolescence, so it didn't bother me then...it's just something I've come to notice now from a critic. Is that common in most anime, and if so how do you guys see past it when watching something?
    I think Skitch is onto something here in that when we're talking about TV anime, it is intended to be viewed serially over time, and a healthy dose of narrative orientation is a good narrative strategy for keeping the audience from becoming too confused.

I also would say I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have a lot of expository dialogue. That's a position that's really strongly argued for in our critical discourse--and even moreso for people training to be writers themselves. But it--like most popular ideas about art and criticism--is tends toward a kind of dogmatism that I'm uncomfortable with. Why is it inherently better to show and not tell?

In fact, I'd say that given the limited animation techniques cultivated for television anime--which demands a limited number of scenes and unique drawings--this has emerged as a narrative technique that then provides its own kind of thrill, since it develops as its own kind of generic convention. This is not just a cost-cutting measure, but is an essential component of the rhythm of television anime narratives. Three minutes with eight cuts of close-ups where basically only characters' mouths are moving then makes way for a lavishly animated action scene with faster cutting and more animation frames. And while seeing worldbuilding is, of course, cool, maybe it's also cool to have lines of dialogue that expand it in your imagination beyond what's even realized on screen.

Anyway, this is coming from a guy who is currently in the middle of writing a master's thesis on a 1979 anime series. I've got my biases.

Anyway, this is coming from a guy who is currently in the middle of writing a master's thesis on a 1979 anime series.
    And the award for Most Awesome Statement of 2017 goes to...

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Have you ever seen the Patlabor movies, or, really, any of Mamoru Oshii's films, including GITS?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    And the award for Most Awesome Statement of 2017 goes to...
    "Most Awesome Statement" feels a little lofty for 30,000 stuffy academic words about giant robot anime, but I enjoy it!

Gundam?

Gundam.

That's a good one to write about for a number of reasons.

Yeah, it's hugely influential of course, and it's also a really rich text. My thesis deals with narrative techniques of interiority and the tension between the mobile suit and the mecha. And that's huge, but there's so much going on that I feel like I'm leaving out so much interesting stuff.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Stand Alone complex is such a great experience all the way through. I don't think I've been more invested in a series.

One of my favorite episodes is when the son has his brain implanted in a tank to seek vengeance on his parents. That's 30 minutes of perfection.
    And the Individual Eleven arc is a whole season of perfection.

"Most Awesome Statement" feels a little lofty for 30,000 stuffy academic words about giant robot anime
    Not in our current landscape. lol

Yeah, it's hugely influential of course, and it's also a really rich text. My thesis deals with narrative techniques of interiority and the tension between the mobile suit and the mecha. And that's huge, but there's so much going on that I feel like I'm leaving out so much interesting stuff.
    Do you have a favorite Gundam thing?

My favorites, which could betray my age more than anything, are Char's Counterattack and War in the Pocket. I love this era of Japanese animation, when they were still doing quality, hand-drawn theatrical features, along with the rise of the OVA. So much great stuff.

I don't think I've watched any Gundam. I've had Mobile Suit Gundam Wing on my shelf forever. Maybe its time to get on that. Not sure if/how relates to original Gundam. There seem to be several versions or series.

Do you have a favorite Gundam thing?

My favorites, which could betray my age more than anything, are Char's Counterattack and War in the Pocket. I love this era of Japanese animation, when they were still doing quality, hand-drawn theatrical features, along with the rise of the OVA. So much great stuff.
    My favorite Gundam is definitely the original series (which I actually like more than the film, though the films are great, too). Second favorite would be War in the Pocket. Some of the AU series are really good or interesting, too, including Gundam X and Turn A Gundam. X, in particular, is a really thoughtful (though sometimes really 90s-not-in-the-best way) attempt to work through Gundam's legacy. Char's Counterattack is pretty wonderful, too.

Yeah, I have a huge amount of love for the 80s scifi anime aesthetic, and the stuff happening at Sunrise in particular. When they had a little more money and prestige.

Have you seen Ideon by any chance? It's Tomino's followup to Gundam and it's incredible. The second film, in particular, is one of the most amazing 90 minutes of animation I've ever seen.

I have not seen Ideon. Is it available to watch easily?

I have not seen Ideon. Is it available to watch easily?
    Unfortunately, the only way to see it with English subtitles is through, um, alternative means. Why it remains unlicensed I'll never understand.

(BTW, if you do seek it out, be forewarned the the first half of the series can occasionally be a bit of a slog. The way I first saw it was to watch the one compilation movie and the one finale movie. It rushes you through so you don't understand the characters that well, but having that underpinning helped me enjoy the series episode-to-episode, too).

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast