View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 2

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

17 80.95%
  • Nay

4 19.05%

Thread: John Wick: Chapter 2 (Chad Stahelski)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    - - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    The first movie stood wonderfully on its own, and this movie appears to have no real clue as to what actually made the first one such a good movie in the first place. And seeing as this one sets up a third installment in the end, it looks like we're in for even more of this crap after this. But why can't we just have a good stand alone anymore? Why does everything have to be a damn series?
    Not to go all scorpion and the frog on you, but what did you expect, exactly?

(Selfishly, I'll add: If more sequels mean more in-depth posts like yours and 8's, well, I don't mind them so much.)

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Not to go all scorpion and the frog on you, but what did you expect, exactly?

(Selfishly, I'll add: If more sequels mean more in-depth posts like yours and 8's, well, I don't mind them so much.)
    Well, I guess the difference here is between what I expected and what I hoped for. Because honestly, the movie as is is more or less what I expected, however, there was a part of me that was hoping to be surprised by this anyways and see them either somehow manage to recapture the magic of the first, or find a whole new way to wow me all over again. And, well, the movie sorta failed in that particular regard for me.

That said, in regards to 8's post, I do like your take on the "closing of one chapter, opening of another" aspect. Honestly, when the retread-ish stuff was happening in the beginning (the repeat joke in particular), I found myself silently groaning, like, "really, we're doing this, movie?" But I think looking at it the way you described definitely does work, as the closing of one part of his life and beginning of a next stage, so I can appreciate the beginning of the movie for that aspect with that in mind. That said, even with that in mind, I still just didn't find this next stage in the story of John Wick to be all that interesting all the same, for the reasons I've already outlined.