Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
Yeah... I agree with what you're saying, in theory, but in your writing and my reading we're both sorta chin stroking past the racist elements of the film.

I'm not talking about overly racist elements, because there are almost none (Selznick quashed most of them early on). The ones that remain can be easily hand waved away by categorizing the work as "of its time."

I think that is the big problem with the movie: It's too easy for non-Black audiences to shrug off the way the film celebrates the Confederacy and views the end of slavery as the end of civilization.

Eg: how a conversation that might have been (or should have been) about race very quickly turns into a conversation about ... running times (?!).
I'm not saying the film isn't racist; I'm just saying the film's racism isn't the only or even the most interesting thing to talk about, and it shouldn't be the last word on the film.

How did you put these 2 sentences right next to each other and not immediately see the contradiction
Female hysteria isn't the same as whining, and saying that something is central to a genre is not the same as saying that's the only thing in it.