View Poll Results: Frozen (2013)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

18 69.23%
  • Nay

8 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

A reluctant yay. It's no Tangled, but it's a step up from some of the recent Disney films. The music is very hit and miss.

I really wish the main protagonist was Elsa and not her sister. Anna feels like a copy of Rapunzel down to her spunky attitude and song numbers.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Thought this was quite tedious. Josh Gad was good though.
    blog
    twitter
    letterboxd
    almost arthouse (ep #28: remembering PSH and most anticipated 2014 films)

Love the look. Love the message. Love the return to Broadway-ready songs. Ultimately way too slight.

Forget the movie. Let's talk about that incredible Mickey short.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Forget the movie. Let's talk about that incredible Mickey short.
    this was really good

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    It's no Tangled, but it's a step up from some of the recent Disney films. The music is very hit and miss.

I really wish the main protagonist was Elsa and not her sister. Anna feels like a copy of Rapunzel down to her spunky attitude and song numbers.
    Really can't disagree with any of this, but I still thought this movie was pretty damn good overall.

Concerning the music, though, I couldn't help but wonder if any other Disney musical just suddenly stopped with the singing for such an extended period of time at the end like this one does. If they do, it wasn't nearly as noticeable as it was here.

So Frozen was even better the second time. Still a bit inconsistent in places, but god damn does it hit some high marks.

And if nothing else, without question, the "Let It Go" number is hands down the absolute BEST piece of cinema we've gotten this whole year. Brilliant, beautiful, stunning, moving, none of these words even begins to do that sequence justice.

Also, since he's not here anymore to share it himself, Fezzik wrote a really nice piece on this movie that's definitely worth a read on his blog: http://kuelthador.wordpress.com/2013...-film-to-date/

I liked this more than Tangled. It has more of the throwback Disney touches with the Princess films that I grew up on; I was smiling the whole time. However, a little more backstory with the family and their leadership legacy could have fleshed out the film more, giving more meaning to the whole conflict. "In Summer" made me and the entire audience laugh out loud. I look forward to buying this on blu ray.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Ah man, this didn't do very much for me at all, and most ways of describing its failure to connect to me would probably end in cringe-y "cold" puns, so I'll try to avoid that, but the film really is much drier and lacking in personality than anything with these compelling ingredients should manage to come up so intermittently empty on.

I didn't even love the frequently singled out standout "Let It Go" number. The animation for it was awe-inspiring, the thematic thrust of it was smart and works well for the over story, but like so much of the rest of it, something about the indescribable lifeblood of it just felt off to me and somehow rubbed me the wrong way in its presentation. Was it the melodies? Nah. The lyrics? Probably not. The arrangement? Predictable and fairly cornball, but serviceably so, and stronger than the radio-ready pop version over the end credits. The way Menzel sings portions of it as if she's plugging her nostrils? Perhaps, but I don't think I can fault everything else she does in the song or how the production didn't seem to do anything to undermine and post-produce any of her vocal.

And "Let It Go" probably still ends up being a real highlight (though the opening 15 or so minutes are fairly spectacular to marvel at too, even if the opening song is a bit inconsequential), yet it doesn't do much to elevate the whole for me. Nearly every song, plot point and sequence (even the most elegantly constructed one) feel like it's been transplanted from another film and re-imagined to fit this Snow Queen telling. Then what is this version of the story? It's not particularly discernible or anywhere as consistently enthralling as the best of grand Disney cinematic fables, or even Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled because it doesn't do much to firmly plant itself and develop depth in any one place for very long. It's fine for what it is, but I can't help but imagine how much more interesting it could've been if it had slowed itself down, developed and defined its characters a little better (and even redesigned some, since I barely recognized Anna's Prince love interest once he'd been away from the story for a while), and found its own voice, rather than doing its best to fall in line with how other things have done these elements before. Those influences resonant as much as they do because they arguably helped usher in traditions rather than simply do their best to continue or resurrect old molds for success.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Quote Quoting Zac Efron (view post)
    "In Summer" made me and the entire audience laugh out loud.
    Dude, yes. The "puddle" joke in that song left me in hysterics.

I liked this more than I expected. I really appreciated that it subverted classic fairytale expectations a couple of times, and the animation was lovely, lovely, lovely.
    ...and the milk's in me.

- - - - -
    Beautiful animation but the plot is too slight. It felt like this entire movie took place over two days and could have been more or less resolved with a single conversation between the sisters.

I did like that the Princesses here fended for themselves, and didn't rely on the men to save them.

The snowman character was hilarious on introduction, but I can't think of another Disney sidekick that became so superfluous so quickly.

For me it would have been a better plot twist if the second daughter had awakened the power to melt the snow.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -

Like this? :P

Yes, exactly.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    This is really bad. What the fuck, America?

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    This is really bad. What the fuck, America?
    Yeah I can't believe the love this is getting. I would put it on the level of the third DTV sequels Disney leaks out. There were a few funny moments with the snowman, but ultimately a great big predictable bore.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Wow. THis was shockingly bad. I can't remember a Disney movie that disappointed me this much- thereby making this the worst animiated Disney movie I've ever seen.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    For me it would have been a better plot twist if the second daughter had awakened the power to melt the snow.
    I was expecting this the whole time.... so sad.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

But damn the lungs on Idina with "Let it Go".

So good. "This style of music doesn't fit anywhere in the movie....it makes you think Lion King" LOL!

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I never said anything about this? Okay. A couple great songs, the rest tepid and forgettable, gorgeous production design (seriously, drop-dead gorgeous), brisk, fleet, and generally admirable for how, like Brave, it zigzags away from romantic pairing into family bonds.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    My re-watch was mainly based on just trying to crack how it became the inconceivable juggernaut it has, but at least now seeing it all again makes it a tad more conceivable: It's simple, it's light, it's beautiful to look at, Bell and a few other performances are really likable and relatably awkward, and it hits enough right notes story-wise and tonally to make you not think of what else it could be doing to improvise outside those lines to transcend into something really interesting and breathtaking.

Somehow I liked this much more the second time, even after absorbing so much of it again culturally and peripherally from younger relatives of mine. I almost dreaded having to hear certain songs once again, but then seeing "Let It Go" in context with the foreshadowing lyrics of it earlier on really drove it home and kind of made me why everyone loves it as much as they do.

Other numbers, like the duelling reprise between Else and Anna in her ice castle really struck a chord that they didn't before, it has more funny moments than I originally gave it credit for (which I guess was next to none previously, but still), and the visuals are even more gorgeous than I remember. The beautiful diorama look the 3D gave it in theatres is gone on Blu-ray, but being able to see it much brighter and immersed by it differently on a smaller screen is still its own thing to treasure. I didn't even find Olaf as annoying this time! What's happening?!

It might just be that so much of the film's script is all over the place and reliant on bring threads together later, as well as using audiences expectations to subvert certain cliches as it goes on. So this time knowing going in how certain character's arcs and naiveties, as well as most importantly the "true love" device was going to eventually come together in the end, I was able to accept everything a lot more. And again, somehow I wasn't completely sick of the songs by now, and even liked them on second viewing.

I still don't come anywhere near loving it, and my overall improvement of satisfaction with it still only roughly brings it from about a 5.5 to a 6.5 ratings-wise in my mind (since there are still things that flat out don't work for me in it), and it definitely should not have beat The Wind Rises for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, and maybe I've just surrendered it, but at least I can relate to its charm more now.

It's still not 6TH BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME good, but it's fine for what it is and who it's really for.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast