Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Argo (Ben Affleck)

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    You can change your own vote.
    How?

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    How?
    Looks like I'm wrong. I could have sworn you used to be able to do it yourself.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Looks like I'm wrong. I could have sworn you used to be able to do it yourself.
    Yeah, that option was available on the old site. Doesn't appear to be the case here, though. :\

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Huh, I clicked "Yay" instead of "Nay". Can a Mod correct me on this?

I'm a stupid fast-clicking punk.
    I can't figure out how to change your vote from mod side. You may have to be a yay forever.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I can't figure out how to change your vote from mod side. You may have to be a yay forever.
    It will have to be done at the database level. Essentially changing his vote from a '1' to a '0'. Not sure if there is a mod for 4.2 to add the "change your vote" feature we had before.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Then I demand you change the title of this thread to ARGO (A MOVIE WHICH GROUCHY STRONGLY DISLIKES) (Ben Affleck)

Argo fuck your demand.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Then I demand you change the title of this thread to ARGO (A MOVIE WHICH GROUCHY STRONGLY DISLIKES) (Ben Affleck)
    To clarify I put you in as a nay in the database thread.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

To clarify I put you in as a nay in the database thread.
    Heh, thanks.

Starting off the film by implying that British American Imperialism is to blame for Iranian Anti-Western sentiment, then rewriting history to promote American Exceptionalism feels a bit off to me. Can't believe they made one of the final shots of the film Ben Affleck reuniting with his wife in front of a billowing American flag.

Also this film casts a negative light on New Zealand for no good reason. IRL A Kiwi diplomat drove them to the airport for God's sake.

Are we still tabulating on the database sticky? If not, I'll stop bothering to post that I've seen films that I don't have much other things to say about them.

Any way, this was decent, but a little too contrived with the thrilling aspects of it in the last act. I'd rather have seen less thrills and more political maneuvering in a story like this, as that would be more true to life than them having narrowly escaped all the time.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

I just watched this and read through the thread. My reaction was similar to Irish's, though that's also because I'm watching it well after that fact of it winning Best Picture, and thinking to myself, This won the Oscar? It's so... insubstantial. There's little in the way of actual scene construction, and no sense of character. It's just hitting plot points in a generic thriller getup. Goes down easy, but doesn't merit any reflection. The political drama equivalent of a disposable blockbuster. It's entertaining for what it is, absolutely, but wow... it's such a bunch of nothing.

I could probably give it a pass but for the idiotic patriotism that sours the proceedings. I laughed out loud at that closing shot Winston mentions, and that whole "Nobody can know we're the best, fuck yeah" bit at the end with Cranston's character. What the fuck am I even watching at that point.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

The first half of the film actually tries to tackle the fact that the hostages and the six Americans are in deep shit because of stupid American foreign policy. Then the rest of the movie is a tightly wound suspenseful picture that works really well but is a bit too simplistic. The acting is top notch here and I really loved the cast, so overall I thought it was a great movie. Best picture worthy? Eh, no, but then most Best Picture winners aren't even the best movie from their respective years.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Huh, for some reason I just felt a compelling urge to post in the Argo thread. Remember Argo? I sort of do.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I still haven't seen this Oscar-winning historical romp. I hear it's some kind of a thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123