View Poll Results: Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

8 72.73%
  • Nay

3 27.27%

Thread: Under the Silver Lake (David Robert Mitchell)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    The female characters are all badly drawn manic pixie stereotypes, and the film doesn't walk the line of portraying the voyeuristic sexism of all the men with any kind of tact whatsoever.
    Heh, I just knew this film would be a trigger for people who feel like "the male gaze" in movies is always wrong, even if it befits a character.

On retrospect, I think this movie is kind of overreaching in its ambition but it has a good bunch of uniquely quirky sequences and I also thought about what Duke said, how having the protagonist be a wandering perv made regular thriller beats play all the more unexpectedly. It's like Blue Velvet if McLachlan's character wasn't a bit of a cypher.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-22-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Heh, I just knew this film would be a trigger for people who feel like "the male gaze" in movies is always wrong, even if it befits a character.
    Just because it befits a character doesn't make it well done. Dorothy in BV would be an example of a well-written woman objectified by the male gaze.

In fact, Mulholland Drive does everything this film does but with roughly 1000x the subtlety and taste.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.