Page 1208 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2087081108115811981206120712081209121012181258 ... LastLast
Results 30,176 to 30,200 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

- - - - -
    I think it's a legit question, because the cost at launch is retail plus at least one game --- eg: $470 in the case of PS5 digital.

I was kinda surprised Sony didn't undercut or at least match Microsoft's price points.

Going $100 over is bold, almost arrogant.

ETA: I was wrong about the specs. The PS5 digital is the same machine as the full PS5, just without the optical drive. This isn't the case with the XBox, which as slightly different specs depending on which machine you buy. So there's the value prop on the PS5.
    Last edited by Irish; 09-16-2020 at 11:49 PM.

I still like to own a physical copy of any piece of media.

I don't like the idea of media constantly coming and going, being available, then unavailable, then available only on a different service, etc.

I buy a game, I own the game, I can play it whenever I want until the end of time.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I still like to own a physical copy of any piece of media.

I don't like the idea of media constantly coming and going, being available, then unavailable, then available only on a different service, etc.

I buy a game, I own the game, I can play it whenever I want until the end of time.
    Very much me too. Call me old school but I want to HAVE what I HAVE. Vudu could go away tomorrow and boom, goodbye to nearly 300 movies I technically "own".

- - - - -
    Physical means nothing to me because of disc rot, tape rot, and drive failure. Shit was not made to last, so I stopped sweating it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...your-old-discs

If you want to read a true horror story, here's something from a serious game collector who had rare and out of print titles across several platforms and generations:

[
    ]

I’ll spend the extra 100 for the 4K drive. I’m predominantly digital for games, but with the setup in the basement, I’m all for certain films in 4K and awesome audio.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Physical means nothing to me because of disc rot, tape rot, and drive failure. Shit was not made to last, so I stopped sweating it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...your-old-discs

If you want to read a true horror story, here's something from a serious game collector who had rare and out of print titles across several platforms and generations:

[]
    Still seems incredibly low risk, no?

I mean, it's concerning, but I've been collecting DVDs obsessively (last time I counted was 15,000+) and haven't had any issues.

Nor have I had any issues with games on discs from as early as 1995.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)

Its not about exclusives for me. .
    It is for me. Everything on Xbox comes to PC. SO whatever stays on PS5 is reason enough to get one.

Sony needs to hammer down it's IPs but seems like they are going the opposite direction.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

ETA: I was wrong about the specs. The PS5 digital is the same machine as the full PS5, just without the optical drive. This isn't the case with the XBox, which as slightly different specs depending on which machine you buy. So there's the value prop on the PS5.
    Which I don't understand really. Where's the $100 value?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I’ll spend the extra 100 for the 4K drive. I’m predominantly digital for games, but with the setup in the basement, I’m all for certain films in 4K and awesome audio.
    I'm buying my first 4K TV and 4K Projector soon. But all the content I consume is digital. I dont expect to start buying up physical movies anymore.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Looks like this can still be a DukeTV game

Not sure how, but this was a mistake and will only be on PS5.

Oh btw, it's a launch title.

I've yet to hear streaming audio that is in the ballpark of physical. Not even close.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Still seems incredibly low risk, no?

I mean, it's concerning, but I've been collecting DVDs obsessively (last time I counted was 15,000+) and haven't had any issues.

Nor have I had any issues with games on discs from as early as 1995.
    Wait. Just wait a sec. Let's table the disc rot convo for now.

Are you saying you've spent a minimum of $75,000 to $150,000 on movies and games ... ?!

And you're the guy complaining about $15/mo subscription fees?

I don't get it.

- - - - -
    Which I don't understand really. Where's the $100 value?
    PS5 digital is a full spec'd machine capable of 4K. The only diff between it and the more expensive version is the optical drive.

This isn't true of XBox's offer, where the cheaper machine is actually limited to 1440p and has a smaller SSD.

Meg just really liked Columbia House.

- - - - -
    It is for me. Everything on Xbox comes to PC
    The is a value add to me. I'm hoping we're a ~year out from Microsoft admitting the XBox is just a Windows PC and integrating Steam on XBox.

The great thing about the internet, is it marks red letter days in stone. Here's the day I realized physical media was dead to me.

I'm hoping we're a ~year out from Microsoft admitting the XBox is just a Windows PC and integrating Steam on XBox.
    I wouldn't be surprised by this, since the entire Halo Collection is now on steam.

- - - - -
    Meg just really liked Columbia House.
    For the amount of money he spent on DVDs, he could have subscribed to XBox Gamepass for 416 years.

It would become a family heirloom. Imagine Meg's great-great-great grandchildren gaming on his account.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I've yet to hear streaming audio that is in the ballpark of physical. Not even close.

This. I’ve become such an audio whore it’s not even funny.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -

^ Scalpers out in force. $1,200 for a PS5.

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/...98342491131906

I hope those scalpers get coronavirus.

I'll get PS5 in April or Summer 2021. The physical media type.

By trading in games and getting credit/used games, that money will be made up in less than a year.

I've never experienced game/cd/dvd rot. How the heck does that happen?

Maybe it's the upgrade to 4k TV that I look into this holiday though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    This. I’ve become such an audio whore it’s not even funny.
    And this again. I want the best. I'm doing a lot of double dipping too, rebuying movies on UHD 4k that I already own on blu-ray. But usually when there's a good deal like 3 for 30 $.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Are you saying you've spent a minimum of $75,000 to $150,000 on movies and games ...
    I'm curious how you came to those numbers?

And 15k meg, WOW! Well done. Movie-wise I'm just north of 3k. No idea on games. And now that filmaf.com is no more, I'm going to have to completely reinventory, which will be equal parts fun and miserable.

Wait. Just wait a sec. Let's table the disc rot convo for now.

Are you saying you've spent a minimum of $75,000 to $150,000 on movies and games ... ?!

And you're the guy complaining about $15/mo subscription fees?

I don't get it.
    Like I said, all of these things I own.

I have lots of stuff that is out of print, obscure.

I don't want to suddenly not have access to them because streaming service 95672 went under or lost licenses to a library of media.