• Yay

5 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daredevil Season 2

- - - - -

Daredevil Season 2

"You know Karen's been asking questions. The cuts, the scrapes, the bruises."

"What do you tell her?"

"You have a drinking problem."

[chuckles] "That's horrible."

"Well, it's more plausible than you put on a devil suit and beat the shit out of strangers."

Cracking out right now.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

As much as I love Cap, I think we know deep down I'm a Castle guy.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I'm already on the fourth episode of Season 2. Love this show. The Punisher is a badass.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Jon Bernthal looks so much like he should have an Eastern European accent that I am a little surprised every time he speaks.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Finding a lot of the dialogue pretty painful this season so far. Lots of on-the-nose theme spouting and, unlike Jessica Jones, it's the same themes we've seen in a thousand superhero things. Castle and Murdock on the roof was bad.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Finding a lot of the dialogue pretty painful this season so far. Lots of on-the-nose theme spouting and, unlike Jessica Jones, it's the same themes we've seen in a thousand superhero things. Castle and Murdock on the roof was bad.
    Maybe, but that gun-hand chain-hand fight was MAJOR.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Maybe, but that gun-hand chain-hand fight was MAJOR.
    This.

It reminded me of a certain stage all the boys went through when I was in second or third grade when they would act out / verbally describe ridiculously elaborate fights at recess. "And then I hit you with my chain hand like KAPOW. And the I punch you and you and you like POW POW POW!" I never understood why they were so into it. I get it now.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I like the rooftop scene. The cemetery scene between the two of them was much better.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

[]
    ...and the milk's in me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm not really liking the way they are portraying the Punisher through the first 5 episodes.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

RE: Ninjas

[
    ]
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm not really liking the way they are portraying the Punisher through the first 5 episodes.
    No one else?

They didn't really establish how good of a marksman he is along with his military training. It was all done with dialog from the police. And then Daredevil beats the shit out of him and he eventually needs to be saved by him twice. So frustrating.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I just grew tired of all the ninjas. And Electra. Whenever she's on screen, I try not to tune out. Still need to watch the finale.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No one else?
    I think they made the same choice with him as they did with Kingpin: both characters are far less stoic, more emotional, and more tragic in the show than they typically are in the comics. I think that makes for a slightly less interesting dynamic in their interactions with Daredevil, but it's not a bad choice overall.

I liked the season, though the finale was pretty bad.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Thought after episode one: "Oh wow, so were not screwing around and dragging out the meeting of these two. NICE."

Finally finished. Decided to take it slower this time and not just watch the entire season in one day. However, I was also less motivated to do so this time. The forward momentum is definitely less potent than the first season, and definitely not as addicting as Jessica Jones. Some thoughts:

- I like this approach to writing Frank Castle. I think one of the reasons why previous Punisher films have failed creatively has to do with the basic problem with Frank Castle, which is that if he's so stoic and competent and pragmatic, he's a pretty boring character to spend a lot of time around. You end up just watching a guy going about doing his day-to-day job, basically. It's one of the reasons why so many Punisher comics just feel disposable. One reason why Garth Ennis is considered such a phenomenal Punisher writer, though, is that he figured out a great formula, which is to make someone else the main character. Half of the Punisher comics he wrote would have a brand new protagonist in every arc, either directly going after Castle or making a Faustian pact with him. Greg Rucka's recent run, which was also great, did the exact same thing, making the story revolve around three original main characters and having Punisher just move in and out of their lives like mother nature. This show's smart enough to pair him up with Karen Page in that manner, and it works great. But I honestly have low expectations if they're planning a spin-off series that centers on him.

- The problem is with the directing. The dialogue all talk about how Castle's MO is to attack with military precision, but what we're seeing is the complete opposite. In the shootout scenes, Castle is often standing without cover, shooting a gun one-handed while screaming. He doesn't seem to be very prepared, either. In the third episode, he blows up a bunch of bikes and calls out an entire gang while he's the middle of a fight and trapped on the rooftop of a building full of civilians. Maybe he's so badass that he's confident he can kill them all as they go up to him, but was that the extent of his plan?? No camping spots or traps at all? Compare that to a similar introduction to the Punisher in Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX #1, where he lures an angry mafia family out of a house with one shot, but has already set up claymores in the lawn and perched behind a brick wall with a semi-automatic. Here, his action scenes often look more primal than calculated, which wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't established something else in setting him up.

- Bernthal kills it so hard, though. The cemetery monologue is so long-winded that it could've been a drag of a scene, but Bernthal's so compelling to watch that it was believable.

- I love how a minor character in Jessica Jones (Reyes) is a major character in this and a major character [
    ] is a minor character. Both of the events surrounding those two would undoubtedly have an effect on JJ season 2, right?

- The big baddie of this season, who gets to [
    ] in the big finale, is someone we never learned anything about and was some random ninja that was Fisk's lackey in the first season? Whose brilliant idea was that. They should have reversed the plot of the last two episodes and made the Hand stuff the B-plot, then actually end a season with the story they set up in the beginning. Instead, we got a really dumb climax with every character on the show just somehow convening in an abandoned warehouse. It's absurd.

- That's the problem with this season. It's just less coherent, and the main issue with it is that it's thematically empty. The first season's conflict between Murdock and Fisk work so well because of its undertones of classism and gentrification's differing approaches to tackling crime and poverty in disenfranchised neighborhoods, and there was so much to play with there. Jessica Jones was even better because that conflict was about misogyny and sexual oppression and there's even more stuff to play with there. This one's just.... I dunno, drug dealers and ninjas? There's not much going on. I thought they could have done some interesting things with the idea of death sentences, but they immediately blew their entire wad on that theme in a single conversation in like the second episode, before introducing Elektra as a second contrast. Then they introduced the idea of trying Castle in Delaware for the death penalty which I though was a fantastic use of irony, but that idea went nowhere so quickly that I'm not even sure the writers got the irony. Very disappointing.

- The idea that being good at research makes you qualified to write editorials for a major newspaper is so insane that it was more painful to watch than Stick's torture scene. What the fuck was that "You're a New Yorker, you are a hero just by living here" shit? If someone publishes an article like that, Gothamist would rip it apart and make Karen a famous idiot in two seconds.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Halfway through the season I was ready to declare this better than season 1, but the show decided to run off the rails in a way that tempered my enjoyment.

I really liked Frank Castle as a character, Elektra, and Fisk. Murdock is best when he is going toe-to-toe with one person he can't (or won't) outsmart and outfight in three seconds. Pitting him against a horde of faceless, unmotivated zombie ninjas was booooooring.

I also liked that this season made Murdock so unlikeable in his private life. The easier it is to root for him, the less interesting the story is. Make him complex and kind of dickish and I am much more invested.

This season also showed great improvement in both acting and storylines for Karen and Foggy, who I disliked last year. This season was much meatier for female characters in general, who were ill-served in the first season.

Overall, a mixed bag.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ah, yes! I forgot to elaborate on Foggy. His character (and Henson's acting) was a huge improvement. He's got pretty good chemistry with Rosario Dawson, too.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Finally finished. Decided to take it slower this time and not just watch the entire season in one day. However, I was also less motivated to do so this time. The forward momentum is definitely less potent than the first season, and definitely not as addicting as Jessica Jones. Some thoughts:

- I like this approach to writing Frank Castle. I think one of the reasons why previous Punisher films have failed creatively has to do with the basic problem with Frank Castle, which is that if he's so stoic and competent and pragmatic, he's a pretty boring character to spend a lot of time around. You end up just watching a guy going about doing his day-to-day job, basically. It's one of the reasons why so many Punisher comics just feel disposable. One reason why Garth Ennis is considered such a phenomenal Punisher writer, though, is that he figured out a great formula, which is to make someone else the main character. Half of the Punisher comics he wrote would have a brand new protagonist in every arc, either directly going after Castle or making a Faustian pact with him. Greg Rucka's recent run, which was also great, did the exact same thing, making the story revolve around three original main characters and having Punisher just move in and out of their lives like mother nature. This show's smart enough to pair him up with Karen Page in that manner, and it works great. But I honestly have low expectations if they're planning a spin-off series that centers on him.
    Somewhat disagree. If they made a John Wick Punisher movie, it would be sublime. But even in John Wick he gets captured (but at least plans well enough so he has buddies helping him out). In this series he has zero allies.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    - The problem is with the directing. The dialogue all talk about how Castle's MO is to attack with military precision, but what we're seeing is the complete opposite. In the shootout scenes, Castle is often standing without cover, shooting a gun one-handed while screaming. He doesn't seem to be very prepared, either. In the third episode, he blows up a bunch of bikes and calls out an entire gang while he's the middle of a fight and trapped on the rooftop of a building full of civilians. Maybe he's so badass that he's confident he can kill them all as they go up to him, but was that the extent of his plan?? No camping spots or traps at all? Compare that to a similar introduction to the Punisher in Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX #1, where he lures an angry mafia family out of a house with one shot, but has already set up claymores in the lawn and perched behind a brick wall with a semi-automatic. Here, his action scenes often look more primal than calculated, which wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't established something else in setting him up.
    Fucking agree. The biggest problem I have is we are not given enough information on why Punisher is so feared and what makes him so good. We hear stories, but even the initial shootout was shown from inside the safe-house. So we just see bullets flying and thats all. We dont know anything of what made Punisher so good at tracking them down or the execution in the shootout. Word of mouth doesn't work well here. And by episode 3 he's already incarcerated. Ugh.

Didn't Daredevil interrupt him in the precise moment when he got the bikers out in the open and was going to mow them all down?
    I thought the building siege was all Murdock's fault.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Didn't Daredevil interrupt him in the precise moment when he got the bikers out in the open and was going to mow them all down?
    I thought the building siege was all Murdock's fault.
    That's what I thought, too.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Weird. On Episode 10, the scene where they are speaking French at the bar did not show any subtitles for me. Anyone else?

The closed captioning is translated if you really want to know what they're saying but it's really just irrelevant small talk.
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast