Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Anthology Discussion

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    "Disney's Iger says new Han Solo film will show how he found the Millennium Falcon, met Chewbacca and got his name. @usc #SCALE"
    Sounds really tiresome.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I figured he meant how Chewbacca got his name.
    Based on the grammar of the sentence, it can only mean Han's name.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Got his name?? Are they going to explain that Solo is not his birth name and he's just called that because he's a loner?
    It'll be like the first 20 minutes of "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade," except even worse, and for 2 hours.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I'm fine with 15 more years of Star Wars.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm fine with 15 more years of Star Wars.
    But you didn't even like Rogue One. What if they're all in that type of approach?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

But you didn't even like Rogue One. What if they're all in that type of approach?
    I was one of it's biggest defenders here when I saw it in theaters. The second viewing wasn't as good of an experience. But there's something about the world building that I truly love.

As far as the Saga movies, I honestly believe once JJ is out of the picture we'll be back on track.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

So Star Wars is going to be a Christmas tradition for this generation eh?

What would be your ideal "Star Wars story" to see, that's actually possible as well?

I like the idea of focusing different genres to each story, such as Rogue One being the "war movie" and that Boba Fett was going to apparently be a Western. I'm not sure what Han Solo's prequel was suppose to be?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Didn't the Corellian trilogy books cover a lot of his origin? Do that. As I recall, raised in/around stormtrooper training as an orphan, escapes, rescues slave Chewie, winning losing winning back the Falcon from Lando, Kessel run...

So Star Wars is going to be a Christmas tradition for this generation eh?

What would be your ideal "Star Wars story" to see, that's actually possible as well?

I like the idea of focusing different genres to each story, such as Rogue One being the "war movie" and that Boba Fett was going to apparently be a Western. I'm not sure what Han Solo's prequel was suppose to be?
    I want a Jedi Knight / Dark Forces movie. Kyle Katarn and the Jedi Temple.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Oh boy.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo film.

It was already filming.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

It's been filming 4 and a half months. Some shit's gone down there.
    Last 10 Movies Seen

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    It's been filming 4 and a half months. Some shit's gone down there.
    With apparently three more weeks of principal photography to go. So this isn't even a Gareth Edwards / looking at the early cuts and realizing they want to drastically re-shoot after the shooting script was filmed.

This is definitely weird and only feels bad. (Struggled to not make "I have a bad feeling..." reference.)
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Seriously a lot of questions there. That's even later than when Richard Donner was fired from Superman 2.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Franchise Filmmaking :rofl: :thumbsup: :420:

Wonder if it was going crazy out of budget or not on schedule. That's my own thought.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Between this and them leaving The Flash movie I feel like its not entirely unwarranted to ask if they aren't the difficult ones to work with. I know, I know...but it still feels fair to ask.

Maybe it's more on the order of the fact that they've proven their worth to studios by doing their specific creative thing with a decent amount of freedom and turning big studio films based on not-sure-thing properties into all-around wins (who would've expected good box office and reviews for the entire concept of Legos and 21 Jump Street?), and so maybe they don't do well when that freedom--what has given them such success and why they were hired--is challenged by the finnicky and micro-managing demands of Prolonged Brand Engagement Filmmaking.

It'll be interesting to see what the reasons are when that all eventually comes out.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Maybe it's more on the order of the fact that they've proven their worth to studios by doing their specific creative thing with a decent amount of freedom and turning big studio films based on not-sure-thing properties into all-around wins (who would've expected good box office and reviews for the entire concept of Legos and 21 Jump Street?), and so maybe they don't do well when that freedom--what has given them such success and why they were hired--is challenged by the finnicky and micro-managing demands of Prolonged Brand Engagement Filmmaking.

It'll be interesting to see what the reasons are when that all eventually comes out.
    This is what I'm wondering. Like, there are few surer bets in Hollywood right now than Lord and Miller, so it's hard for me to believe this is a result of them being divas or too demanding or making some seriously ill-advised creative choices. Meanwhile, the last two Star Wars movies felt like Star Wars Widgets, and Disney in general is currently in the process of the Great Cinematic Hamburgering.*

*patent pending

I agree with all that. Which is why this extremely late decision to leave the project is so out of character. I would've expected it in months leading up to principal photography, but this late? Wow. Very curious how this is going to play out. Especially on such a huge property.

Or maybe they were fired?

http://heroichollywood.com/lord-mill...film-han-solo/

I dunno. We will see.

Hollywood Reporter and The Wrap have different sources citing different reasons. THR says they were fired because Lawrence Kasdan was pissed that they encouraged the actors to ad-lib instead of sticking to his script. The Wrap says it's studio politics coming from them taking a meeting with WB recently to possibly get re-hired on The Flash. The truth is probably somewhere between the two.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Whatever reason. This does not look good for Disney. After the controversy surrounding Rogue One and its reshoots to now this, these stand-alone projects have to doomed to young, promising filmmakers. Wouldn't be surprised if Disney hires a safe veteran for its next one.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

It strikes me as pretty whack that Kasdan could possibly get Lord and Miller fired for playing loose with the script.

Meanwhile, rumor on the street is apparently Ron Fucking Howard. http://www.avclub.com/article/its-ru...olo-mov-257107

Meanwhile, rumor on the street is apparently Ron Fucking Howard. http://www.avclub.com/article/its-ru...olo-mov-257107
    Oh, did you order Bananas Foster French Toast? Here's some crustless white bread covered with something that came out of a label-free jar and served on a Great Value paper towel.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Surprises me they don't go with JJ. This is terrible news to hear while on vacation.

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast