24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wooof!!

21 87.50%
  • Woof..

3 12.50%

Thread: Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This article about the reception of Clint Eastwood's films in Japan is perhaps relevant to the current discussion.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    This article about the reception of Clint Eastwood's films in Japan is perhaps relevant to the current discussion.
    The French love him too. Check out Cahiers du cinema's top ten lists from the 90s-00s.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    The French love him too. Check out Cahiers du cinema's top ten lists from the 90s-00s.
    That's certainly true, but I think the way Japanese reviewers (or at least male Japanese reviewers of a certain age) faun over Eastwood's every film (even the ones French reviewers describe as shipwrecks), needs to be understood as a symptom of the asymmetric power relationship between the two countries.
    Just because...

The (New) World

That's certainly true, but I think the way Japanese reviewers (or at least male Japanese reviewers of a certain age) faun over Eastwood's every film (even the ones French reviewers describe as shipwrecks), needs to be understood as a symptom of the asymmetric power relationship between the two countries.
    Using that as a metric of "asymmetric power relationship" is as absurd as me citing some American film dweeb fawning over Miyazaki or Kurosawa or Miike as "proof" of an "asymmetric power relationship" of Japan over the United States.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Using that as a metric of "asymmetric power relationship" is as absurd as me citing some American film dweeb fawning over Miyazaki or Kurosawa or Miike as "proof" of an "asymmetric power relationship" of Japan over the United States.
    Except I'm not using it as a metric to prove the existence of an asymmetric power relation between the US and Japan; I'm using the fact of an asymmetric relationship which has existed for over 150 years (and therefore surely doesn't need to be proven) as an explanation for the reception of Eastwood's films in Japan. That is to say, if you accept the premise that, for a certain generation of Japanese film reviewer, Clint Eastwood is America, the praise his films get there kinda makes sense.
    Just because...

The (New) World

Hodge shan't be shot Kirby Avondale's Avatar
    Except I'm not using it as a metric to prove the existence of an asymmetric power relation between the US and Japan; I'm using the fact of an asymmetric relationship which has existed for over 150 years (and therefore surely doesn't need to be proven) as an explanation for the reception of Eastwood's films in Japan. That is to say, if you accept the premise that, for a certain generation of Japanese film reviewer, Clint Eastwood is America, the praise his films get there kinda makes sense.
    I'm trying to imagine the conversation between you and one of these Japanese critics where you inform them that they love Eastwood because of American dominance of Japan. It sounds like an awkward conversation!