81%
    Went back up.

Metacritic is at 65.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Oh shit. Scott Derrickson just deleted a tweet with Dr Strange meeting Namor. I wish I thought of that when predicting my Phase 4 lineup.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Updated Predictions on Phase 4

Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme: May 1, 2020
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 July 10, 2020 (Celestialsssss)
    Adam Warlock: 2020

Spider-man <symbiote- it comes back to Earth via Infinity War> Nov 6, 2021
    Ironheart: 2021 (Mandarin Returns)
    Black Panther 2: 2021

Captain Marvel 2: 2022
    Namor the Sub-Mariner: 2022
    There will probably be a 3rd movie in 2022 so we'll call this Ant-man 3

Spider-man 3 2023
    Avengers: Illuminati 2023
    Black Widow & Hawkeye Teamup: May 1, 2020 (this makes total sense given the runway and 12 month production window)
    Shang-Chi: 11/6/20

Doctor Strange 2 (Namor Introduced) 2/12/21
    Black Panther 2 5/7/21
    Eternals 11/5/21

Avengers: Secret Invasion 2022

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (Adam Warlock Introduced) 2023
    Dark Avengers 2023

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Whatever happened to Black Adam? I just realized that I had thought for a long time that he was going to be the antagonist in Shazam!, but he's clearly not. They saving him for something? Is Dwayne still attached?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Whatever happened to Black Adam? I just realized that I had thought for a long time that he was going to be the antagonist in Shazam!, but he's clearly not. They saving him for something? Is Dwayne still attached?
    Wrong thread?

But to answer your question there's some buzz talking about him fighting Shazam!

Black Widow & Hawkeye Teamup: May 1, 2020 (this makes total sense given the runway and 12 month production window)
    Shang-Chi: 11/6/20

Doctor Strange 2 (Namor Introduced) 2/12/21
    Black Panther 2 5/7/21
    Eternals 11/5/21

Avengers: Secret Invasion 2022

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (Adam Warlock Introduced) 2023
    Dark Avengers 2023
    Ummm coincidence? or have I become the number8 of Phase 4?

https://deadline.com/2019/03/destin-...ce-1202575136/

Finally saw Gurdians 2 and Spider-Man Homecoming.

Liked Guardians 2 a lot. Maybe even better than the first. Very fun and funny, and some great character moments. Rocket and Nebula remain my favorites of the series.

Homecoming was good. Very spotty effects work, especially on Spidey himself which was offputting. But Michael Keaton may have played the MCU’s best villain to date.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Beyond pumped for Shang-Chi. I loved every issue of Master of Kung-Fu I've gotten to read.

Crossing my fingers we see Man-Thing at some point.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Seems like Marvel would want to capitalize on Black Panther success sooner rather than 2021.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Seems like Marvel would want to capitalize on Black Panther success sooner rather than 2021.
    Maybe still worried about the wounds of Iron Fist?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Standard 3 year run between sequels.

Standard 3 year run between sequels.
    Never noticed that.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer

Still keeping the plot under wrapped I see, with almost half of it being clip show.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I like that style of trailer, giving a bit of a Hall of Fame review of the past. Looks like it'll be intense. Still keeping actiony stuff way under wraps, yeah.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Relative to her more pared-down look in CM, Brie in the credit scene and here almost looks done up like a geisha.

--Homer

This is an expensive Hollywood blockbuster about kung-fu. This has not been seen since the days of Enter the Dragon. That should be the news.

Instead every article I can find is judging whether there are enough Asians in the crew and Marvel promising to avoid stereotypes.

That trailer fucks. They don't even show Thanos. Love it.

I have a feeling Thanos will not be the main villain.

Ether dealt with quickly, or someone else is behind / with him.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    This is an expensive Hollywood blockbuster about kung-fu. This has not been seen since the days of Enter the Dragon. That should be the news.
    Wait, why? And do the movies Jackie Chan made in the west not count? Or the Matrix films?

Instead every article I can find is judging whether there are enough Asians in the crew and Marvel promising to avoid stereotypes.
    Well considering that the comic started in the 70s as a blatant riff on "Kung Fu," was created by two white guys, and has a history of racist imagery ... I get why people might be concerned.

That's even before we get to the recent stupidity around the "Ghost in the Shell" American remake.

I was thinking about something related to this --- about the way I reacted to "Captain Marvel" and Brie Larsen --- so I gotta ask: Why do you care? Whatever anyone says about this movie probably won't effect your enjoyment of it. So, why care?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Honestly that's a more creative idea than anything Marvel has done in the last 10 years so I'm guessing ... prolly not. But goddamn so many possibilities there.

That trailer fucks.
    Language!

Would you talk like that in front of Captain America?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Wait, why? And do the movies Jackie Chan made in the west not count? Or the Matrix films?
    I thought about Jackie Chan as I wrote that but the truth is that most of his Hollywood output is either more or less a B-movie (hence why I said "blockbuster") or a Rush Hour film which is more buddy cop movie than kung fu comedy. Matrix has plenty of kung fu but it's foremost science fiction for me.

Quote Quoting Irish
    Well considering that the comic started in the 70s as a blatant riff on "Kung Fu," was created by two white guys, and has a history of racist imagery ... I get why people might be concerned.

That's even before we get to the recent stupidity around the "Ghost in the Shell" American remake.

I was thinking about something related to this --- about the way I reacted to "Captain Marvel" and Brie Larsen --- so I gotta ask: Why do you care? Whatever anyone says about this movie probably won't effect your enjoyment of it. So, why care?
    It's just that instead of talking about the awesome kung fu craze of the 1970s that reached all sorts of media, we're back to the same old boring lecture against artistic freedom where you can only write and make stories about stuff that happens in your home city block lest you are labeled unsensitive and offending people. You tell me there's a Shang Chi movie in the works and my first thought would naturally go to the story, whether Fu Manchu will appear or how will they manage the fact that that part of the Marvel Universe has been covered by the Netflix shows. I would never in a million years go "huh, I hope the director is really Chinese".

But it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the film. I'm just expressing surprise at the current zeitgeist.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 03-14-2019 at 05:04 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I thought about Jackie Chan as I wrote that but the truth is that most of his Hollywood output is either more or less a B-movie (hence why I said "blockbuster") or a Rush Hour film which is more buddy cop movie than kung fu comedy. Matrix has plenty of kung fu but it's foremost science fiction for me.
    Fair enough. I'm going by a more traditional definition of "blockbuster," I guess --- "Rush Hour 2" made over $200 million domestic and "The Karate Kid" made close to that (and $350 mil worldwide).

It's just that instead of talking about the awesome kung fu craze of the 1970s that reached all sorts of media, we're back to the same old boring lecture against artistic freedom where you can only write and make stories about stuff that happens in your home city block lest you are labeled unsensitive and offending people. You tell me there's a Shang Chi movie in the works and my first thought would naturally go to the story, whether Fu Manchu will appear or how will they manage the fact that that part of the Marvel Universe has been covered by the Netflix shows. I would never in a million years go "huh, I hope the director is really Chinese".

But it has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the film. I'm just expressing surprise at the current zeitgeist.
    Talking about the backstory and the 70s craze would admittedly be more fun, but seriously how can you be surprised by the zeitgeist? After "Ghostbusters," "Wonder Woman," "Ghost in the Shell," "Black Panther," and "Captain Marvel"? People care about this shit. It's a talking point that generates clicks and it sells movie tickets.

Creative freedom can blow me. There aren't any Chinese-American directors working at this level so it's a big deal.

PS: I think Marvel will stay faaaaar away from Fu Manchu. Else they'll turn him into a punch line, like they did with The Mandarin in "Iron Man 3."
    Last edited by Irish; 03-14-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

I'd be really disappointed if that was the case. I get there are plenty of Marvel baddies to mix in here, but I would hope there wouldn't be a curtain to pull back for us to reveal, Galactus was behind this from the beginning and now we have to defeat him in the next Phase 4. I mean, they basically already did this with the first Avengers.

I love that Irish has drank the Kool-Aid and is interested in the MCU after liking the last couple of movies. He's the anti-trans!