Page 65 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 2478

Thread: The Netflix Thread

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Dumped Netflix earlier in the year, bought it again for MST3K, couldn't even finish the season (not 'cause it was bad, I just have trouble watching TV anymore), canceling Netflix again, just subscribed to Kanopy through my Los Angeles Public Library card, have no idea if I'll even make use of that.

Just the prospect of watching TV exhausts me.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)

Just the prospect of watching TV exhausts me.
    I'm starting to feel this way too and it's why starting a new TV show doesn't interest me until I've at least finished the ones I'm already watching. The idea of balancing six or seven series at once is not appealing.

That being said, there's something special about watching GoT on Sunday night with my father. It's almost like we use it as a temporary placeholder for when Sunday night football starts.

It's the only TV series I watch Live. I can't stay up for Rick & Morty otherwise I would probably watch that live too.

I watch PTI (when I can) and sports live. Everything else is on Netflix or DVRed to binge later.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The Kanopy selection is fucking great, and 6 films a month for free is a perfect amount, I think. Kinda glad now that I never subscribed to Filmstuck.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    My perfect streaming service doesn't exist because it would involve too many foreign titles nobody cares about (British TV + Australian TV + Korean movies, basically, with a livestream of TCM).

The pricepoints for individual services don't bother me. $5 or $10 here or there won't break the bank. Rather, it's the feeling that I'm constantly paying for something I'm not getting much use out of. I loved Shudder. Great catalogue, low price. But if I'm honest with myself, there's no way I'm gonna want to watch more than 1 or 2 horror movies every month, if that.

I quit Netflix earlier this year, too, when I realized it had been 2-3 months since I'd bothered to open the app.

I only even have Netflix at all because I have a friend who lets me use his account. I would never pay for it myself, though. The selection is honestly terrible, and it's only gotten worse, to the point where I barely ever even watch movies at all on it, and only really use it to watch the Marvel shows and the occasional Netflix exclusive series. So, like, about once every few months. But none of those shows are anything that I'd honestly miss too much were I to lose access to Netflix.

The only streaming service I actually pay for is my Crunchyroll account, and even then I only use it for one show. But it's only $6 a month, and I've had it for, yeesh, about 10 years now maybe? I got it once Naruto Shippuden was brought onto the service, so I could watch it legally day of release without any hassle, and intended to finally close my account once that show ended. But then they had to go and start Boruto, so here I am still keeping the account active, lol.

As to these other potential streaming services, I can't help but feel that some of them would be incredibly limited? Like, the Star Wars service, what all can you even put on there to make it worth a monthly subscription? There's 8 main movies, the Clone Wars movie, and then a handful of TV series and specials, but that's it. And let's face it, anyone actually willing to pay for such a subscription probably already owns most of that stuff anyways. And same for Marvel as well, particularly with a lot of their shows being Netflix shows, which I doubt they'd sign off on allowing them to bring them over. Like, a full on Disney service that also includes Marvel and Star Wars, sure, I can see that working, as that gives you a lot to work with in terms of what you're offering. But stand-alone services for each property? Yeah, even at only $5 a month, I still don't see how that's really worth it. *shrug*

Marvel could add their animated series and movies though.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    The advantage with Marvel, at least, is that you could tie all the movies, cartoons, and shows into their comic book service. Star Wars could build a whole thing around comics, books, games and their rabid fan community. Neither would appeal to anyone but the hardcoriest of hardcore, but then that's what niche services are for. Cf: Shudder, Acorn, etc.

The main Disney service is a must-buy for anyone with kids under 10. Plus, Disney could continue doing that bullshit where they create artificial scarcity around their own products, like they used to do with VHS and DVDs. "Cinderella, streaming now, only for a limited time!"

My reaction is to just reject all of it. Keeping up with all this nonsense is exhausting. My main thing lately is renting movies off Amazon Video or iTunes. At least there, I can find something interesting and pay as I go.

The only streaming service I've found that is worth a damn is MLB.tv, but that's also its own sorta niche.
    Last edited by Irish; 08-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Renting movies off Amazon is totally underrated.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Renting movies off Amazon is totally underrated.
    They have a surprising amount of obscure stuff on there. Lately, I've found a lot of westerns that aren't available anywhere else.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    They have a surprising amount of obscure stuff on there. Lately, I've found a lot of westerns that aren't available anywhere else.
    Price points are good too. $2.99 to $3.99 to rent an obscure movie in the comfort of my own home is wonderful.

Youtube also has a good library and they typically undercut Amazon by $1

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Price points are good too. $2.99 to $3.99 to rent an obscure movie in the comfort of my own home is wonderful.

Youtube also has a good library and they typically undercut Amazon by $1
    Gah, I never think to check YouTube when I'm looking for rentals. (How do you even search the rental channel? My acid test is checking for John Ford / John Wayne movies.)

Also, what do you think of YouTube TV compared to Vue or Sling?

Vudu is pretty awesome too. Now they offer free movies (with ads) and rotate them every month. Some interesting stuff in there.

Netflix is the only thing I pay for. Its selection isn't perfect for sure, but theres enough to keep me going. Its all I can do to keep my queue under 400. Between that, the crazy amount of free shit on Roku channels (Crackle is underrated too), and the free borrows the local library offers (you can order stuff in for free as well), I don't foresee me being without SOMEthing to amuse me.
    Last edited by Skitch; 08-10-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks for the heads up on Kanopy! Wow!

MLB.TV is great. Except the Rockies blackout games in Denver in order to get people to subscribe to Root Sports (or AT&T Sports Rocky Mountain as it's called now, which can only be seen through Comcast)

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Gah, I never think to check YouTube when I'm looking for rentals. (How do you even search the rental channel? My acid test is checking for John Ford / John Wayne movies.)

Also, what do you think of YouTube TV compared to Vue or Sling?
    A comparison I just made off the top of my head is a childhood favorite:

I still get the discs and barely use the streaming. I'll get them until they shut it down and then I'll be extremely sad. I'm addicted to arranging my queue and the selection is far and away better than any streaming service. Plus there's an incentive to watch a given movie rather than being paralyzed by choice. It's a tad pricy, but there's never been a more simple, comprehensive way to watch movies that fits my needs. It's funny to me how many people are unaware the disc service still exists.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I still get the discs and barely use the streaming. I'll get them until they shut it down and then I'll be extremely sad. I'm addicted to arranging my queue and the selection is far and away better than any streaming service. Plus there's an incentive to watch a given movie rather than being paralyzed by choice. It's a tad pricy, but there's never been a more simple, comprehensive way to watch movies that fits my needs. It's funny to me how many people are unaware the disc service still exists.
    Ha. I figured the discs were gone by now.

I'm on the road so much that it doesn't make sense to do right now anyway.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It's a pretty cool fuck you to Disney, but I feel like this would benefit Netflix more than it benefits her.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

And now for something completely different.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Probably some new standup deal. Or... Seinfeld?

I saw one right outside my office building this morning and wondered what it was about. Forgot to take a pic of it.

Movie Theater Diary

An attempt to both promote their stand-up comedy (see article) and to make the complaints against Netflix by directors, theater owners, etc. look silly perhaps?

I really love that Netflix is pouring as much into its standup as it is. There's some good stuff and it's helped me discover or deepen my appreciation for a lot of comics.

Page 65 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast