Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Match Cut Presidential Dog and Pony Show

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I never took it as anything racist, to be fair. Just another example of shitty political “discourse”. I was trying to see what principles he was upholding in criticizing liberals for criticizing Trump on Syria, and it turns out - funnily enough - he had none.
    Well you're a better man than I am. Anyways I've seen enough of his posts to know he's kind of a joke. Where as I'm 100% all joke.
    Last edited by MadMan; 11-15-2019 at 04:13 AM.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Not to split hairs, but "who cares" was an epitaph assigned to Gen-Xers from the babyboomers when we weren't responding to their attempts to sell us stupid shit like OK Soda and Extreme Nachos.
    I'm aware of that, but that era gave us awful neoliberal politics that led to Dubya and later Trump.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Not to split hairs, but "who cares" was an epitaph assigned to Gen-Xers from the babyboomers when we weren't responding to their attempts to sell us stupid shit like OK Soda and Extreme Nachos.
    OK Bommer is the same thing as calling someone a snowflake. It's just dismissing someone for something different.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Oh yey racism.
    I don't really know of any New Zealander who would consider the term Kiwi to be racist as it's usually a term of endearment like friend, buddy, pal.

I'm aware of that, but that era gave us awful neoliberal politics that led to Dubya and later Trump.
    Oh yeah, well ya know what else it brought us?

YOUR FACE.

**sticks tongue out and prances away**
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm not voting for Trump. I'm especially not voting for Warren.
    I'm curious what you don't like about Warren? I know you are from MA, so maybe you know something we don't? Is it taxes? I think taxes and her heath care plan might sink her in the general. I'm all for anyone who wants to be covered to be covered, but I'm not a big fan of Bernie and Warren making private plans illegal. I don't know why the model can't be public school where every kid is guaranteed a K to 12 education, but if someone wants to send their kids to parochial schools or shell out money for a private school (or even home school) they can. Health care should be similar. It would also instantaneously liquidate two million jobs in the US. Plus she is being rather coy about the cost (inc. everyone thinks she can't implement it w/o raising taxes on the middle class). Ultimately, I think she is using Trumpian negotiating tactics by putting something more outlandish out to negotiate back to something more reasonable if she is elected president.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I'm curious what you don't like about Warren? I know you are from MA, so maybe you know something we don't? Is it taxes? I think taxes and her heath care plan might sink her in the general. I'm all for anyone who wants to be covered to be covered, but I'm not a big fan of Bernie and Warren making private plans illegal. I don't know why the model can't be public school where every kid is guaranteed a K to 12 education, but if someone wants to send their kids to parochial schools or shell out money for a private school (or even home school) they can. Health care should be similar. It would also instantaneously liquidate two million jobs in the US. Plus she is being rather coy about the cost (inc. everyone thinks she can't implement it w/o raising taxes on the middle class). Ultimately, I think she is using Trumpian negotiating tactics by putting something more outlandish out to negotiate back to something more reasonable if she is elected president.
    Aside from her being a liar and cheat, I think her tax on businesses will hurt the economy. We are already heading for a recession, it's not matter of if but when... and the low taxes on businesses today is what is creating all these jobs. She want's to implement all these affordable plans that will surely raise taxes which I am against. There's no where else to pay for them! Lower healthcare and affordable higher education sounds wonderful on paper. Breaking up Google, Amazon and Facebook does not. If you want to lower the influence of big tech on politics, reform politics, not capitalism.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Breaking up Google, Amazon and Facebook does not. If you want to lower the influence of big tech on politics, reform politics, not capitalism.
    Oh I totally support that. Living in the Bay Area has made me acutely aware of the insane amount of money these mega corp tech companies have. I think people still think they are a "start up" or whatever but they are more cash flush than big oil or big pharma or any other industry now. I worked tangentially on a Google project and these people could start up several countries with how rich they are.

I also think there's a big issue with how communication and "news" is presented now. Going from print to online almost entirely means information is filtered through the big tech companies: google being the biggest but also facebook and twitter. Not to mention Amazon dominating e-commerce and Apple dominating hardware tech. I think it's time for feds to seriously look into Teddy Roosevelt style anti trust laws for these mega corps. I'd also include Disney in that too now that they are platforming w/ Disney+ and have bought out Fox's film division.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Oh I totally support that. Living in the Bay Area has made me acutely aware of the insane amount of money these mega corp tech companies have. I think people still think they are a "start up" or whatever but they are more cash flush than big oil or big pharma or any other industry now. I worked tangentially on a Google project and these people could start up several countries with how rich they are.

I also think there's a big issue with how communication and "news" is presented now. Going from print to online almost entirely means information is filtered through the big tech companies: google being the biggest but also facebook and twitter. Not to mention Amazon dominating e-commerce and Apple dominating hardware tech. I think it's time for feds to seriously look into Teddy Roosevelt style anti trust laws for these mega corps. I'd also include Disney in that too now that they are platforming w/ Disney+ and have bought out Fox's film division.
    What specifically do you seen the Bay area that has had such a negative affect on the community? Rising home costs being one I assume.

There's a way around the communication of news problem. It's called reading a newspaper. (not the Washington Post obviously). The internet doesn't have to be your source for everything. We choose to use it because it's convenient and "easier" than traditional news outlets.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

What specifically do you seen the Bay area that has had such a negative affect on the community? Rising home costs being one I assume.

There's a way around the communication of news problem. It's called reading a newspaper. (not the Washington Post obviously). The internet doesn't have to be your source for everything. We choose to use it because it's convenient and "easier" than traditional news outlets.
    Massive income inequality. Even teachers who make over 75k a year can't afford to live in SF, so there is a teacher shortage (and obv anyone that is making less than six figures has problems). This is reaching out to the East Bay now as well. There's a huge homeless problem in CA which is also a byproduct of income inequality and a huge housing shortage.

I think even beyond local issues, there's the broader issue that these multi national tech corps have too much power around the world. I think esp. the local politicians (Pelosi, Schiff, Feinstein ... among others) are absolutely affected by donations and cronyism from big tech (and to a lesser extent big Hollywood ... although there's a conflation there w/ Netflix and Amazon starting to have just as much dominance on film & tv as the old school studios). Democrats have so much power in CA that the CA GOP is really a non-entity. Even if you agree with Dems politically, having one party dominate an (extremely rich) state so massively creates corruption.

You're also fooling yourself if you think print journalism is still a thing in 2019. My dad worked for a newspaper for decades and they are now a shell of their former selves. Basically existing on a skeleton crew. When he retired they didn't replace his job. My aunt is a former newspaper journalist in Washington, and now she works for Politico, an entirely online publication.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

You're also fooling yourself if you think print journalism is still a thing in 2019. My dad worked for a newspaper for decades and they are now a shell of their former selves. Basically existing on a skeleton crew. When he retired they didn't replace his job. My aunt is a former newspaper journalist in Washington, and now she works for Politico, an entirely online publication.
    WSJ prints 500 pages a day, except on Sundays. You should try it.

WSJ prints 500 pages a day, except on Sundays. You should try it.
    My original point was that the vast majority of people get their news through digital outlets now ... and often those articles get portaled through big tech. People read them on their ipads, click on links through facebook or twitter, or people find them via google. Big tech has an insane amount of power over the information you receive.

Also, Wall Street Journal is owned by Dow Jones. The same people pumping up tech stock market valuation.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 11-15-2019 at 10:30 PM.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

- - - - -
    Rupert Murdoch bought WSJ in 2007.

I think her tax on businesses will hurt the economy. We are already heading for a recession, it's not matter of if but when... and the low taxes on businesses today is what is creating all these jobs. She want's to implement all these [un]affordable plans that will surely raise taxes which I am against. There's no where else to pay for them! Lower healthcare and affordable higher education sounds wonderful on paper.
    There is a way because to pay for them without tax increases since, as I said earlier, the US prints its own currency. It has an unlimited supply of money. Deficits, in which the government creates more money in spending than it removes from the economy through taxation, are not inherently bad. The problem is inflation, which isn't a pressing issue at the moment unless you live in Zimbabwe or Venezuela.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    There is a way because to pay for them without tax increases since, as I said earlier, the US prints its own currency. It has an unlimited supply of money. Deficits, in which the government creates more money in spending than it removes from the economy through taxation, are not inherently bad. The problem is inflation, which isn't a pressing issue at the moment unless you live in Zimbabwe or Venezuela.
    Inflation is low specifically because America doesn't do stupid third world shit like paying for things by printing more money. Plus I don't know what "prints its own currency" has to do with America. Don't all countries do that? (aside from E/U countries)

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Inflation is low specifically because America doesn't do stupid third world shit like paying for things by printing more money. Plus I don't know what "prints its own currency" has to do with America. Don't all countries do that? (aside from E/U countries)
    There are lots of reasons why the US isn't Zimbabwe. Printing money isn't one of them. In fact, Zimbabwe only just reintroduced their currency this week after a decade of using foreign currency, and Zimbabweans can't take more than $20 US out of their bank accounts per week. On the other hand, the US prints money like bananas: The military budget alone is greater than the next seven countries combined.

Also, the EU is a pretty large chunk of the global economy.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

For a moment I forgot that Pop Trash and Baby Doll were different posters and thought they quoted themselves to disagree with themselves.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Rupert Murdoch bought WSJ in 2007.
    Hmm yeah I guess you're right. Apparently News Corp is also now co-owners of Dow Jones, which I didn't know was something that could be "bought."

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I don't really know of any New Zealander who would consider the term Kiwi to be racist as it's usually a term of endearment like friend, buddy, pal.
    Sorry I thought it was.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Oh yeah, well ya know what else it brought us?

YOUR FACE.

**sticks tongue out and prances away**
    This is also true.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I like Warren, but it's the Iowa caucus so I'll go for whoever I want, and I prefer Bernie. More than likely the Dems screw up and Trump wins a second term, although that will be more likely due to a large chunk of the American voting population being ok with racism as long as they get tax cuts. And or see abortion becoming illegal again and the continuing rolling back of social gains made over the last 8-10 years.
    Last edited by MadMan; 11-16-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

- - - - -
    There's no where else to pay for them!
    Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    The military budget alone is greater than the next seven countries combined.

Sorry I thought it was.
    Nah, it's something we happily call ourselves. Has no negative connotations at all.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Nah, it's something we happily call ourselves. Has no negative connotations at all.
    My apologies to you and to Pop Trash. I can't even blame it on the beer this time.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Haha. Come on now Irish and baby doll we can't afford health care because we have to bomb brown people!
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast