Page 372 of 407 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374382 ... LastLast
Results 9,276 to 9,300 of 10162

Thread: The News Thread

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Was Nick Pinkerton formerly known as NickGlass/bubbagump23 before he went onto greener pastures?

I really like the movie, but he's not wrong about it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Hah, is he NickGlass? I met the guy personally, we went to see Good Night and Good Luck together!

Tokyo Tribe is awesome, by the way.

That's Nick McCarthy. He helps run the NewFest.

I had an Indonesian dinner with him and number8 in NYC.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    That's Nick McCarthy. He helps run the NewFest.

I had an Indonesian dinner with him and number8 in NYC.
    Ah I gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Booksmart and High Life both look like good movies. Also the cringe worthy use of SJW online makes me wonder if people think before using it. Probably not.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm convinced Film Twitter's knowledge of cinema doesn't go past 1988. The freaked-out reactions to the three hour runtime of Avengers: Endgame made it very clear that they've never heard of, nor would last Ben-Hur or Lawrence of Arabia.
    Heh also ROTK, Interstellar and multiple other long, more modern films.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Yes? You don't buy it yourself and you tell the distributor why. That's how boycotts work. It's not meant to be convenient. It's meant to send a message.

I'm not even thinking of the practicalities though --- just the call.

For all their posturing about gender and identity and progressive politics, I haven't seen one critic, or anyone in and around #filmtwitter, call out Hastings or Netflix. (They can't, or they're too scared, because they don't want to get blacklisted.)

Meanwhile, Hastings is pulling the same style of bullshit as the family that owns Chik-Fil-A. That's fucked up.
    It's easier to boycott a restaurant than a beverage that is found almost literally everywhere, which is what I think Duke was saying. Otherwise I agree with you.

Also Chick-fil-a serves Coke products only, so I guess it goes hand in hand.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

I largely use Twitter for horror films and sports. Sure there is also adorable pets and politics, but the reason I originally signed up for Twitter was to talk about movies.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Booksmart and High Life both look like good movies. Also the cringe worthy use of SJW online makes me wonder if people think before using it. Probably not.
    I've seen High Life, and it's not a good movie. I haven't seen Booksmart, and while checking SJW boxes doesn't necessarily make it a bad film, looking around the internet in 2019, it seems most reviewers assess a film or TV show or book's importance based primarily, if not solely, on whether it meets some political litmus test (political or conservative, depending on the site's tribal affiliation). A couple days ago, there was an article in The Atlantic--The Atlantic!--titled "The Messy Politics of Spike Lee's She's Gotta Have It," in which the writer's main argument wasn't that the show's politics were messy in the sense of grappling with the complexity of contemporary life but in the sense of not being sufficiently woke.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Whoa, Grouchy, were you hit by that blackout?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Whoa, Grouchy, were you hit by that blackout?
    I was! But only for a few hours. Several blocks near my house are still in the dark. It's chaos.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

And they don't know what caused it yet?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    And they don't know what caused it yet?
    I wish I could tell you, to be honest. There are plenty of theories but the Secretary of Energy basically asked for a fortnight's grace to give explanations.

It's 20 now I think.

This is Trump's work

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    This is Trump's work
    Indeed.

I'll throw in Fox n Friends on the culpability too. Especially when the fucker is using the same language Tomi Loren (however her stupid name is spelled) pushes on their channel.

It's going to take someone famous being killed or some mediawide event for any gun reform to actually occur it feels like. It's all just numbers to politicians. I also feel that while Democrats are quick to provide numbers, but never provide a true solution outside of a complete ban, which is impossible for something of this magnitude.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I doubt even that will do it. Rs don't care about famous. If its a famous R that dies, it will inevitably be a "wacko libtard". It will take a massive event unlike we have seen, with undeniable proof of white supremacist involvement. Maybe then. Maaaaaaaybe.

- - - - -
    I think attempting gun control at a federal level is a bad strategy. It's too easy to block, as #MassacreMitch has so aptly demonstrated. And as some dude on twitter said after Sandy Hook: once we decided killing kids was okay, the gun control debate was over.

Instead, there should be a grassroots movement to curb gun sales at the state level. It should work the same way people effected change around cigarettes, marijuana, and abortion. Make it so it's still technically legal but either outrageously expensive (cigarettes), or difficult to do (abortion), or contentious enough that the feds won't touch it (marijuana).

On top of that, there needs to be some sort of massive social change. Look to cigarettes. In 25 years or so, we've gone from people smoking anywhere (restaurants, bars, lobbies, parks) to smoking nowhere (maybe just your house and your car at this point). People sneer at smokers in public. Once one state passed serious laws that restricted smoking and raised taxes on cigarettes, other states followed.

At the same time, I don't think this is a problem we can get out of with the stroke of a pen, with quick laws and easy legislation. The U.S. is the number one weapons manufacturer in the world. We will run guns for anybody, whether you're a Saudi prince or an African warlord. We've been doing it for almost a century; it's part of what made us rich.

Meanwhile, at home, our cops are outfitted like an occupying army and all our little screens celebrate gun violence to an absurd degree. I don't think there's a 1:1 correlation between these things, but I do think they're related. They all stem from the same sick culture.

Maybe we need to have a little reckoning with ourselves, because events like El Paso and Dayton are always a tragedy and never a surprise.

If you guys want gun control, all you have to do is convince Fox News viewers that illegal immigrants from central America and liberal college professors are using money from George Soros to amass an arsenal of automatic weapons to enforce gender neutral bathrooms. Republicans will ban that shit so fast it'll make your head spin.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

One other thought is that stiffer background and mental health checks will be needed to purchase guns. But I'm willing to venture that most of these shooters would likely have passed, and failing those checks might bring up some other worries...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Irish's idea is probably the best I've come across. States can figure out what works, leading to up to 50 different approaches. One will stick.

Maybe some kind of registration tax like you have on your car, with recurring annual fees would stop the idea of owning a mini-army of weapons. Perhaps that tax starts after two, so that you still can follow your goddamn rights of being able to keep and bear arms. Owning a weapon without registration would also make you wish you went the legal route. Background checks remain the same, but not necessarily a "mental health" check...

Turns out Czech Republic has something similar.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter