The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Cool.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I dig it.

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (Bill Melendez, 1966) ***
    I'm not gonna press you too hard on it because, I mean, you like it. But I watched this again last night and still found it nearly flawless. Any particular qualms?

Groovy!

I fell madly and deeply in love with Shock Corridor (1963). It is campy and melodramatic, but they both work to create a compelling and sometimes frightening portrait of price of success (among other things...). The scenes with Brent, the African American who believes himself to be a white supremacist, and a member of the KKK are among the most disturbing things I've seen on film. Far removed (not as far as we think perhaps) from the racia tension of the civil rights movement, the scenes are intense and heavily charged with anger and confusion. I don't see myself forgetting them anytime soon. Mixing in some very wonderful/strange colour dream sequences and one of the coolest hallucinations committed to screen, I think this will be a favourite for a long time.

My mind has offically been blown by Whisper of the Heart. Life affirming and tenderly beautiful. *sigh*

Quote Quoting Marley
    My mind has offically been blown by Whisper of the Heart. Life affirming and tenderly beautiful. *sigh*
    You are now one of us.

Quote Quoting Marley (view post)
    It's almost too wonderful and happy for it's own good, not Totoro level happiness but up there. I'm happy my sister made me watch it.

Quote Quoting Philosophe_rouge (view post)
    Groovy!

I fell madly and deeply in love with Shock Corridor (1963). It is campy and melodramatic, but they both work to create a compelling and sometimes frightening portrait of price of success (among other things...). The scenes with Brent, the African American who believes himself to be a white supremacist, and a member of the KKK are among the most disturbing things I've seen on film. Far removed (not as far as we think perhaps) from the racia tension of the civil rights movement, the scenes are intense and heavily charged with anger and confusion. I don't see myself forgetting them anytime soon. Mixing in some very wonderful/strange colour dream sequences and one of the coolest hallucinations committed to screen, I think this will be a favourite for a long time.
    This sounds fascinating. I really need to see something by Fuller one of these days.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    I'm not gonna press you too hard on it because, I mean, you like it. But I watched this again last night and still found it nearly flawless. Any particular qualms?
    *shrug* It's not very funny.

Still, there is something oddly transportive about it, and compared to what passes for modern family entertainment, it's pretty much alien. It's terribly charming, but it doesn't leave much of an impression. The Reverse Shot piece on it did open my eyes a bit to its more thoughtful qualities though.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

You are now one of us.
    About time! (kidding)

It truely is one of the most moving film experiences I've had in a while.

Hey everyone!

Love the new thread title, Rowland - I actually had to do a double take, because I wondered why a discussion of Y tu mama tambien was chosen as the first thread topic
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    The Reverse Shot piece on it did open my eyes a bit to its more thoughtful qualities though.
    Wow. This really is a good piece.

Out of curiosity, how do you generally feel about other Melendez-helmed Peanuts specials/films/whatever? Specifically, A Charlie Brown Christmas? I'll admit, of course, to not laughing out loud throughout these things, but my experience with the best of these is sublime, almost transcendental.

I, of course, have nothing near a spiritual experience watching Garfield's Christmas Special or whatever the hell it's called.

Out of curiosity, how do you generally feel about other Melendez-helmed Peanuts specials/films/whatever? Specifically, A Charlie Brown Christmas?
    I haven't seen any of them in years, but now I'm looking forward to revisiting them.

I'm probably being hard on Great Pumpkin. Anything that feels like it's less than half of its actual length has to be doing something hella right.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

It's almost too wonderful and happy for it's own good, not Totoro level happiness but up there. I'm happy my sister made me watch it.
    I really didn't think the film was all that jubilant save for the last few scenes. Everything prior to those final closing moments of radiant optimism permeates with an underlying poignancy of disillusionment which is very affecting.

Tears of the Black Tiger (Sasanatieng, 2000) **** [2nd]

Where did you get to see this? Do you have a copy?

I've been wanting to see it for quite a while.

I really didn't think the film was all that jubilant save for the last few scenes. Everything prior to those final closing moments of radiant optimism permeates with an underlying poignancy of disillusionment which is very affecting.
    That's part of why I find it so joyous, there is that build up of uncertainty that works so beautifully in creating several moments of bliss and a wonderful end.

Don't you find the ultimate statement, in the characters' extreme optimism a little chilling? Like the adult in you wants to cry tears of mourning for how this all is, like, not going to work out the way they think it will?

It's a glorious moment, one of the best in one of the best films, but that's what I love so much about it.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

It's available as an R1 DVD.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

That's part of why I find it so joyous, there is that build up of uncertainty that works so beautifully in creating several moments of bliss and a wonderful end.
    Ah, good point.

Don't you find the ultimate statement, in the characters' extreme optimism a little chilling? Like the adult in you wants to cry tears of mourning for how this all is, like, not going to work out the way they think it will?

It's a glorious moment, one of the best in one of the best films, but that's what I love so much about it.
    I was so caught up in both characters determination to do something positive with their lives that I failed to even consider the inevitable truth that you describe. Now I'm even more depressed.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

It's been available in America now for the better part of a year, which is when I initially bought and watched it. My local film society's Westerns of the World program actually plugged it in in place of a Greek western they couldn't obtain in time. Seeing it in a theater, even if it was just a projected DVD rocked pretty hard. The film's a blast.

It's been available in America now for the better part of a year, which is when I initially bought and watched it. My local film society's Westerns of the World program actually plugged it in in place of a Greek western they couldn't obtain in time. Seeing it in a theater, even if it was just a projected DVD rocked pretty hard. The film's a blast.
    Wow, I had no idea that it was available.

*goes hunting on Amazon*

I was so caught up in both characters determination to do something positive with their lives that I failed to even consider the inevitable truth that you describe. Now I'm even more depressed.
    Aw. But it's beautiful while it lasts, right? That's quite a something.

Aw. But it's beautiful while it lasts, right? That's quite a something.
    I suppose you're right only it's difficult to shake that feeling of disappointment these characters are going to have to endure soon or later in their lives.