2 50.00%
  • Nay

2 50.00%

Thread: Act of Valor (McCoy, Waugh)

Act of Valor (McCoy, Waugh)

ACT OF VALOR

Directors: Mike McCoy, Scott Waugh

imdb

This was fairly respectably done I felt, even if it does, at times, feel like just a dumb action flick. The action scenes put you right in there alongside the SEALs, and it often gave off a first person shooter vibe that I thought worked really well. The first big rescue mission in the jungle was especially well done. Apparently the actors aren't actually actors, but active duty Navy SEALs, and it shows. Most of the dialogue outside of the mission sequences is very stilted in its delivery, though it really didn't take too much away from the movie. So yeah, not much else to say about it. I enjoyed it.

I expected this to be waaaaay more propaganda-y and recruitment-y. I say its okay.

It nabbed the top spot with 24 million. Definitely surprised as I felt it looked like dtv crap.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    It nabbed the top spot with 24 million. Definitely surprised as I felt it looked like dtv crap.
    Never be surprised at Americans' willingness to throw money at anything pro-military.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

While I'm trying not to judge the film as a whole based on the advertising, I have to say the trailers make this look pretty despicable.

I really don't like how it's promoting military as real-life action heroes. That's messed up on so many levels.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

This was such a fucking mess on so many levels. The cinematography looked like dogshit, with tons of ugly, out of focus and noisy DSLR shots in an apparent attempt to look edgy.

The direction is amateurish and lazy. Not once do we get a sense of the geography of any of them action scenes and the pacing is so uneven.

The biggest offenders are the script and the acting. Dialogue exchanges spin their wheels and the emotional hook is the SEAL with a pregnant wifee at home trying to get two weeks off for the birth. Siiiiiiiigh. And the SEALs are exactly as good as you expect them to be. Just tragic. There's no way real actors trained to do the specific military manouvers wouldn't have been a better choice.

Then, of course, at the end they go for the easy, manipulative move of playing the names of real special forces soldiers who've died since 9/11.

Total disaster.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I really don't like how it's promoting military as real-life action heroes. That's messed up on so many levels.
    'Course, the military guys involved with this movie don't appear to have that much of a problem with it.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    'Course, the military guys involved with this movie don't appear to have that much of a problem with it.

Yeah, I imagine they wouldn't.

Your comment about it having a "first person shooter vibe" pretty much sums up exactly why this kind of movie is pretty disgusting.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

My brother got pressured into seeing this and said that there's 1st person shooter shots. He said the acting is predictably bad since they casted soldiers. And it's all a warmup to what Bigelow is going to do later this year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There's a TON of FPS-cam, and it does not work. Funny considering one of their tv spots said "this is not a video game"