25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

15 60.00%
  • Nay

10 40.00%

Thread: Star Trek Beyond (Justin Lin)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Entertaining enough, I suppose, but this felt so perfunctory to me. A movie that exists simply to exist. As a self-contained "installment" of a multi-episode franchise like James Bond or Fast and Furious, where the goal is to simply churn out episode after episode, then something like this is definitely passable. Not in any way memorable, but enough to kill two hours of your time. If, rather, the idea here is to create something with an growing and interesting cinematic mythology, then this comes up pretty far short. I can't think of a single emotional beat or set piece in this entire film that adds anything to the franchise's legacy. If they made another, could one really say this has to be seen first?

I like Lin -- I continue to believe Fast Five is one of the finest pure action movies of the past decade, and his work on TV was a revelation. So, I was considerably disappointed that the action in this film felt so indistinct. The first extended action sequence on the Enterprise was an endless and incoherent mis-mash of boring fistfights and things crashing into each other. And nothing that comes later lives up to the cinematic promise of Abrams' 2009 reboot, which I felt brought a sense of true image-making to the franchise. The character dynamics here felt pretty redundant, and Idris Elba was reduced to a monster-of-the-week.

It's certainly a competently made sequel, more accomplished all-around than the dreck that was the third installment of X-Men. But it just feels like this thing went through the motions and gave us nothing of lasting significance, besides the image of a two-second back rub.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Entertaining enough, I suppose, but this felt so perfunctory to me. A movie that exists simply to exist. As a self-contained "installment" of a multi-episode franchise like James Bond or Fast and Furious, where the goal is to simply churn out episode after episode, then something like this is definitely passable. Not in any way memorable, but enough to kill two hours of your time. If, rather, the idea here is to create something with an growing and interesting cinematic mythology, then this comes up pretty far short. I can't think of a single emotional beat or set piece in this entire film that adds anything to the franchise's legacy. If they made another, could one really say this has to be seen first? .
    I'm confused by this. Are you looking for a Star Wars-like story arch? Or an ongoing continuity like the MCU?

Enough to NAY this no less... really?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm confused by this. Are you looking for a Star Wars-like story arch? Or an ongoing continuity like the MCU?

Enough to NAY this no less... really?
    Nah, doesn't have to be some big continuous arc.

I just don't think they had a story to tell with this movie -- not even a self-contained one. It was just time to make another installment. What is this movie about? It's about 2/3 uninteresting action (though the use of Rage was pretty good) and 1/3 of totally Point A-to-Point B plot which was of utterly no interest to me. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see the story here. It's all empty plot and action. I think you can grow a cinematic mythology by simply making diverse and interesting movies within the bunch. I didn't see that here; I saw another widget on the blockbuster assembly line with no meat on it. Thus, the nay.
    Last edited by DavidSeven; 07-26-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2