Page 15 of 524 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

After tonight's episode of ATHF I'm convinced that they're running out of ideas and that this season is only part of the show's overall decline. Adult Swim seems to be milking the show as its one of their most popular shows, but they'd be wiser to just end it and show the countless reruns they have from past seasons of ATHF. I don't want to see the show go completely sucksville, although the weirdness and the funny are still there.

Oh and Frisky Dingo has gone completely 100% weird. I thought there was some amusing stuff in the new episode but for the most part I was just wondering what the hell was going on half the time. Craziness abounded, what with the chicks teaming up, Xander slidelined and Killface trying once again to kill everyone. I wish they had stuck with Xander vs. Killface for president. That storyline was great stuff and it could have had a fantastic payoff. But I don't mind who the president ended up being though hah.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I decided to forego season two of Heroes when it aired tonight. I sorta enjoyed the first season, but for some reason couldn't muster the enthusiasm to proceed. And I've heard some less than favorable things from some of you.

One other thing, one of my buddies keeps telling me to start watching Criminal Minds because he thinks it's totally frikkin' amazing. I'm a bit wary because it kinda reminds me of CSI, meaning not unwatchable, but ultra-slick, ultra-predictable assembly line work. He swears it's not and that Mandy Patinkin is really awesome. Since I've never seen it mentioned on here, I can only assume my buddy is wrong.:lol:
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I finally started watching Band of Brothers and it was great. The characters, despite being numerous, were still pretty well drawn out although of course the show focused on a decent number. The best of the bunch so far appear to be Winters and Nixon, although there are a few others who rock as well. I thought that the boot camp scenes were great, and very realistic, and I liked how they perfectly captured the fears and annxity of the men as they waited to go into combat. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes, as this was an excellent begining to what will hopefully be one of the best mini-series I've ever watched.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Bah, the final season of The Shield won't air till September.
    Weak.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I wonder when Rescue Me will be back.

After The Wire, there is nothing on TV that I will be following it seems, unless The Office makes a quicker return than I thought.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I finally started watching Band of Brothers and it was great. The characters, despite being numerous, were still pretty well drawn out although of course the show focused on a decent number. The best of the bunch so far appear to be Winters and Nixon, although there are a few others who rock as well. I thought that the boot camp scenes were great, and very realistic, and I liked how they perfectly captured the fears and annxity of the men as they waited to go into combat. I can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes, as this was an excellent begining to what will hopefully be one of the best mini-series I've ever watched.

What a coincidence. The showrunner (Eric Jendresen) substituted my TV writing teacher last Monday. Told us some behind the scenes stories on that show, as well as his tight relationship with the real Winters. It's pretty amazing stuff.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    What a coincidence. The showrunner (Eric Jendresen) substituted my TV writing teacher last Monday. Told us some behind the scenes stories on that show, as well as his tight relationship with the real Winters. It's pretty amazing stuff.
    That sounds really awesome. It would be pretty cool to talk to the actual survivors of Easy Company from the war who are still alive. But I'm sure talking to the guy who got talk to the actual winters is pretty rad as well.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

After tonight's episode of ATHF I'm convinced that they're running out of ideas and that this season is only part of the show's overall decline. Adult Swim seems to be milking the show as its one of their most popular shows, but they'd be wiser to just end it and show the countless reruns they have from past seasons of ATHF. I don't want to see the show go completely sucksville, although the weirdness and the funny are still there.
    Heh. I came in here specifically to comment on how great the new season is, how effectively it toys with and defies narrative expectations, twists its formerly defined character roles in fascinating and hilarious ways (in no other season would Meatwad rip out Shakes eyeballs) and continue the film's trend of exploring the myth behind all of the shows once meaningless and random details (so far this season, the powers behind Frylock's diamond and laser lenses). Personally, I think it's their best and most consistent season yet, in terms of laughs and creativity, though obviously I can understand how a show this divisive could eventually become tiresome to some.

Derek, you just convinced me to catch up with a show I haven't watched in three or four years?

American remake of SPACED officially greenlit. Coming on FOX this Fall.

Excuse me while I put a hit out on McG and everyone involved.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Derek, you just convinced me to catch up with a show I haven't watched in three or four years?
    Awesome. The last two episodes ("Hoppy Bunny" and "Laser Lenses") are among my favorite episodes - really inspired and hilarious stuff. I won't say anything else to spoil the suprises, but let me know what you think after you catch a few episodes.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Heh. I came in here specifically to comment on how great the new season is, how effectively it toys with and defies narrative expectations, twists its formerly defined character roles in fascinating and hilarious ways (in no other season would Meatwad rip out Shakes eyeballs) and continue the film's trend of exploring the myth behind all of the shows once meaningless and random details (so far this season, the powers behind Frylock's diamond and laser lenses). Personally, I think it's their best and most consistent season yet, in terms of laughs and creativity, though obviously I can understand how a show this divisive could eventually become tiresome to some.
    Okay maybe I was just really disappointed about that episode. I do think the show is a bit of decline, but you are right-there has been some truly great stuff this season. I'm pretty much enjoying it overall now that I think about it. Oh and next Sunday's episode looks utterly hilarious and awesome, what with the killer doll bit and all. I'd have to say that the episode with Carl as a flute playing gnome and the guys dressed up as animals was pretty creepy and sort of funny. ATHF is still the best show on Adult Swim, although Venture Brothers and The Boondocks are not too far behind and SeaLab 2021 and Space Ghost Cost to Coast are also amazing. I'd say my Top 5 Adult Swim shows are as follows (only counting their original programing):

1. ATHF
    2. The Boondocks
    3. Venture Brothers
    4. SeaLab 2021
    5. Space Ghost Coast to Coast

HM: Frisky Dingo

For now anyways. This list could change. Also I can't believe it took me so long to reach 50 posts in this thread.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Speaking of Boondocks, the two banned episodes from this season are airing in Canada.

Grow some fucking balls, Cartoon Network.
    Movie Theater Diary

Speaking of Boondocks, the two banned episodes from this season are airing in Canada.

Grow some fucking balls, Cartoon Network.
    Lucky goddamn Canadians. And why the hell is CN all of a sudden censoring Adult Swim? I can't believe this. What a bunch of wankers!

Also I'd replace Frisky Dingo with Harvy Birdman: Attorney at Law for the HM spot. I wonder what the two banned episodes were about, although I think Wikipedia might have mentioned only one of them.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Lucky goddamn Canadians. And why the hell is CN all of a sudden censoring Adult Swim? I can't believe this. What a bunch of wankers!
    Well, there's been subtle censoring going on for quite awhile on Adult Swim. Several shows have had words bleeped out and shots altered. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace routinely drops audio on certain words.

It wasn't until I got the DVD that I realized in one episode of Cowboy Bebop that Faye burst in on two guys in bed together. On AS, the guy was just on top of a bundle of blankets and pillows. Never occurred to me that it was covering something up.

As for AS's original content, I've only managed to gain an appreciation for Harvey Birdman, Frisky Dingo and Robot Chicken. What I've seen of Xavier: Renegade Angel is just bizarre.

Everything else I find pretty uninteresting and/or not funny.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Completely unrelated comment: while I admit I'm probably in no position to judge or be negative since I've never seen an episode, but has the Stargate franchise just become a rip off of Star Trek?

Seems like now it's mostly space ships shooting at each other in the commercials I see on Sci-Fi.
    Out of 4 stars:

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Well, there's been subtle censoring going on for quite awhile on Adult Swim. Several shows have had words bleeped out and shots altered. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace routinely drops audio on certain words.
    But that's just expletives. There's no way they'd allow "fuck" and "shit" on CN, even Adult Swim.

In the case of those two eps, BET (Black Embarrassment Television) threatened legal action.
    Movie Theater Diary

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    Everything else I find pretty uninteresting and/or not funny.
    Wha? Venture Bros?
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Space Ghost: Coast to Coast is like my favorite animated thing ever.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Wha? Venture Bros?
    Sorry. Doesn't really do anything for me.
    Out of 4 stars:

I keep on watching House. I can't stop. Oh well.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

But that's just expletives. There's no way they'd allow "fuck" and "shit" on CN, even Adult Swim.

In the case of those two eps, BET (Black Embarrassment Television) threatened legal action.
    Okay yeah I can understand swear words being censored. But an entire episode? Oh and fuck you BET. Pussy bastards are what you are. Afraid because one TV show is pointing out that your channel sucks? Lame. But hey I guess CN doesn't want to get sued, as of course that's not a good thing.

Adult Swim with the exception of a few shows is great. I don't bother to watch the anime programming and it isn't part of their original programming anyways, just like Family Guy and American Dad aren't.

Venture Brothers is great TV indeed. Hilarious and hip to the max, and Brock is one of the most badass cartoon characters ever.

Tonight's episode of ATHF was amazing. Not only was it funny (I loved how the doll would suddenly bust into "Kill! Kill.....KILL!!!" and then act normal) but it had a decent amount of creepiness. The episode did remind me of that Family Matters episode I saw when I was a kid that featured Urkel vs. a killer dummy. Damn did that episode freak me the hell out at a young age.

Even though I still like the show, I really wasn't interested in watching Frisky Dingo tonight. I'm still annoyed and puzzled as to why they didn't have the stones to tick with Cruise v. Killface in the presidential election. Killface as president would be hilarious, and Cruise would be pretty much Dubya only cooler.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    I keep on watching House. I can't stop. Oh well.
    There's no reason to stop.
    Movie Theater Diary

There's no reason to stop.

That's becoming increasingly apparent. A show can get away with being repetitive if it's repeating the right things.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I just saw this episode of HUSTLE today, and this scene is one of the coolest things ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl0s_4cbaT4

They try to con a crooked Indian businessman into funding a Bollywood film, because it was his dream to star in one. He gets amnesia in a car crash and changes completely, deciding to give all his money away in this scene...ritch: