Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 100.00%
  • Nay

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daredevil Season 2

Amazing how quickly I am onboard with this after just two episodes. Hairs on the back went up when the DA guy mentions his nickname the first time. My brother had no idea Punisher was in this and I was just waiting for that moment. I'm not even a Punisher guy per se, but in this show it just sounds so damn mouth-wateringly exciting. It's basically Daredevil v Punisher at least insofar as the first two eps are concerned and those first two fights are outstanding because they're evenly matched, because in the end they're just two relatively down to earth superheroes and it sort of emphasizes how daft Batman v Superman sounds in the first place.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I didnt like the way they handled the Punisher in this thus I didn't like this season very much.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I didnt like the way they handled the Punisher in this thus I didn't like this season very much.
    Well, I guess he seems spot on so far, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to discern anyway how he'll deviate from the comics. Although there's no reason he couldn't deviate if done right.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

I think Duke's problem might be that in the Garth Ennis run he's established as such a great strategist and soldier that him getting caught and tortured by a bunch of clichéd Irish mobsters doesn't ring true. But whatever, it didn't bother me. It's early days Punisher after all.

Also, in that same run it's mentioned a bunch of times how he goes to great pains to avoid collateral damage to civilians (hell, that's the entire premise behind Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe IIRC) which would make the hospital shootout problematic.

I'm on Episode 4 right now and the season seems like a lot of fun. The dialogue is still terrible, though.

This may sound silly, but it never occured to me how a consequence of Murdock's powers would be an innate ability to crack open safes. I don't remember any Daredevil writer ever picking up on that.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I think Duke's problem might be that in the Garth Ennis run he's established as such a great strategist and soldier that him getting caught and tortured by a bunch of clichéd Irish mobsters doesn't ring true.
    Uh, he planned all of that in advance because he needed to get in and get information? The only time he was completely out of control was when he was knocked out in the elevator during the biker gang sequence.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Nah Grouchy read me right. Even the "planning" that he does do, is lazily portrayed through a barrage of bullets through windows. What strategic planning is needed for that to occur other than to be outside a house when all the bad guys are in 1 room?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Posting what I posted on another forum, so I might be repeating some things already posted in this thread, but basically, I do agree with a lot of the criticisms brought up, yet still found this to be pretty enjoyable all the same:

Alright, so finished up season 2 last night, and yeah, my reaction overall is not too dissimilar from my reaction to Batman v Superman. Along the way, it sorta becomes a bit of a mess, as the show tries to tackle way too much. The Daredevil v Punisher stuff is handled relatively quickly in the season, but there's a whole lot more going on with his character that probably deserved more of our attention, but then they decided to insert Elektra into the series, and give us another entire season's worth of story dealing with her and the Hand. And none of the stuff involving her ever really intersects naturally with the Punisher stuff, so we've got these two radically different stories we keep jumping back and forth between, when really, they probably shoulda just spent this whole season giving us the Punisher story, and held off on Elektra for season 3.

It becomes a bit frustrating seeing Matt pulled away from the Punisher storyline to focus on Elektra on those ongoings, until the Punisher stuff wraps up almost entirely without Daredevil's involvement, and then one final moment with Punisher coming to Matt's aid while he deals with the Hand is shoehorned in at the last minute, and that's the extent of any real overlap between the two stories.

I get that jamming these two stories can create this chaotic state and drive Daredevil to his overwhelming boiling point, but it comes to the detriment of seamless storytelling. There was really only one big goal in the first season, which had a much clearer focus, where as this one is a lot more scatterbrained (and the inclusion of ninjas provides for an entire world of inconsistencies as it regards Daredevil's abilities). But that all said, the actors all sell the hell out of this, and are really what make this work. All our returning cast up their game from last season, and the newcomers playing Punisher and Elektra both fit in quite nicely along with everyone else.

So yeah, it was a bit of a mess and tries to do way too much all at once, but like with BvS, I enjoyed myself with it quite a bit regardless. Still looking forward to season 3, but this time they might benefit from scaling back a little and not trying to cram too much in a single season.

Wow wow wow that stairwell fight in episode 3 was astonishing! Super violent season so far. Loving it!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

This is so fucking insanely awesome. Those fights just keep on getting more impressive, Jon Bernthal is a force to be reckoned with as Punisher. That prison fight was insane and now the [
    ]

I can't wait to see where it goes next.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

The ninjas get old.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Things I never thought I'd ever say. "Enough with the goddamn ninjas. This is boring."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Things I never thought I'd ever say. "Enough with the goddamn ninjas. This is boring."
    EXACTLY!
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

But doesn't that sort of come with the Daredevil territory? In every run I've ever read (Miller, Bendis, Brubaker's) he fights a whole lot of ninjas.

Anyway, I finished the season. They should fire everyone who writes dialogue for this but I was still pretty entertained. I was really surprised at what a good Punisher Bernthal makes, even if he deviates from the Garth Ennis version of the character that I love.

The ending is predictable but that doesn't make it less effective. I really look forward to the return of Kingpin - even with such a great cast, D'Onofrio still towers above everyone.

Did anyone else think that the journalist character is like a discount Ben Urich? I never liked that they got rid of such a major Daredevil supporting character so soon in Season 1, and it looks like they wrote themselves into a corner and still needed someone to represent the press.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The ninjas get old.
    They sure piled on a helluva lot of them in the last 2 eps. I see now what you and 8 meant and I agree.

Still, kickass season. I think I heard my own breathing when Matt [
    ]

That thing with the Clancy Brown character came out of nowhere though.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]