Page 280 of 356 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 7,000 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Started blogging about my 15 favorite working horror directors, it being October and all.

First one up is James Watkins, director of Eden Lake and The Woman in Black.

EDIT: Split this post off into its own thread. Good.

BTW I thought that Ravenous was good fun. And that A New Nightmare was along with FVJ the best one in the Freddy series. Right now I'm watching Big Ass Spider on Netflix.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Has anyone seen the movie Coherence? Damn. Best mindfuck I've seen in a good while. Just an impressive effort.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Has anyone seen the movie Coherence? Damn. Best mindfuck I've seen in a good while. Just an impressive effort.
    Added to queue.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Thinking about making this into its own thread. Thoughts?
    It's probably more likely to be noticed around here.

I'm not a fan of Watkins, but his films are technical marvels. Kudos on the Bogliano thoughts, I've seen the same films and a short of his that you have, and agree regarding the intriguing tonal play he employs to disorientating effect.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Saw Halloween: Resurrection for the first time the other night. Painful. Awful. Embarrassing stuff. How was this directed by the same guy who did the more-than-decent Halloween 2?

If I had a time machine, I would love to go back to 1978 and show John Carpenter the footage of Busta Rhymes kung fu kicking Michael Myers through a window on a reality webcast. I don't know if he would laugh or cry. Or take all footage of his original masterpiece and burn it.

We also watched The Curse of Michael Myers (aka Halloween 6), both the up-to-now unseen Producer's Cut and the original Theatrical. The Producer's cut is HUGELY superior. It actually feels like a different movie. The opening is much longer, with more set up for the events that come later. It actually has fewer kills (and less gory ones), but the movie itself is so much smoother moving, and has much better music.

It's still not particularly great, but I strongly recommend fans of the series watch the two cuts back-to-back. It's a really cool experience and the drastic changes are incredible.

Then last night we watched H20. It's not great, but it was a much better ending to the series than the aforementioned abysmal Resurrection.
    You need to read this:

http://thedissolve.com/features/by-t...d-percentages/

I haven't seen it since it came out but I have fond memories of H2O. Certainly the best cast since the first one: Michelle Williams, JGL, of course Paul Rudd was in Part 6 and that one supposedly sucked.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Re-watching the entire series-

Probably in the minority when I say Halloween is mediocre at best. I realize it was a first in the slasher genre, but I think Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St. took the concept and did it much better. The dialog is shotty, the screenplay mundane- the two biggest praises I can give are the score and Carpenters use of rail-cams. We never feel the true terror of Michael- at least not in this movie.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Re-watching the entire series-

Probably in the minority when I say Halloween is mediocre at best. I realize it was a first in the slasher genre, but I think Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm St. took the concept and did it much better. The dialog is shotty, the screenplay mundane- the two biggest praises I can give are the score and Carpenters use of rail-cams. We never feel the true terror of Michael- at least not in this movie.
    This might be the wrongest post I've ever read on any iteration of this site.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    This might be the wrongest post I've ever read on any iteration of this site.
    Yeah, particularly with respect to F13... I mean that is the definition of shoddy filmmaking. I do like that duke admits he is "probably" in the minority with that post.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Duke.

Duke, Duke, Duke.

Beautiful, silly Duke...

Duke.

My laugh-filled cinema viewing last year of the film would suggest he is not in the minority.

Producer
    Some older films don't play well to modern crowd. I'm glad I saw Psycho first alone, because it ruined the mood a bit when I saw it next in film class, and people laughed to the two kill scenes. (To be fair, they are pretty engaged outsides of that, especially during Marion's getaway.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

There's a bunch of scenes that irk me- the opening with Michael killing his sister and the pysdo freeze frame with the camera panning back- Michael "escape", every scene with 30+ year old actors playing high schoolers, the scene when JLC is talking to the kids in the house and Michael "sneaked" up on them.

As it stands alone, the movie does very little to build terror when we don't really know terror other than what the doctor is telling us.

And boy oh boy, every scene with dialog and JLC had me wincing. I get it, it's her debut, but Jesus act a little.

Halloween 2 is no better.

Other than having THE BEST SET OF BREASTS EVER TO GRACE THE SILVER SCREEN, and the step up in gore, the rest of the script is a mess. I've never heard of a hospital with a staff of 2 and a patient of 1. I also find it hilarious at the end of the movie, they put her into another ambulance, presumably to take her to another hospital that actually has doctors on staff.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Yeah, particularly with respect to F13... I mean that is the definition of shoddy filmmaking. I do like that duke admits he is "probably" in the minority with that post.
    I'd watch F13 100 times over Halloween. More terror. More death. Clever twist. More satisfying ending.

Duke, watch the F13 remake for an exquisite pair. And I'm not talking about the fake set that shows up in the opening reel.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Zombie's Halloween > Carpenter's Halloween

Zombie turns Michael into a truly evil and menacing presence.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Duke, watch the F13 remake for an exquisite pair. And I'm not talking about the fake set that shows up in the opening reel.
    I've seen it, and I still think Halloween 2's are better. Although Freddy vs Jason has a great set too.

This.

Allow me to edit:

Zombie's Halloween >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> Carpenter's Halloween

*Walks into thread. Sees posts about Halloween. Walks back out*
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I've seen it, and I still think Halloween 2's are better. Although Freddy vs Jason has a great set too.
    There were real boobs in FvJ?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I thoroughly enjoy Carpenter's Halloween. With that said, I think I've watched Zombie's two more.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    There were real boobs in FvJ?
    No. Good call.