Thread: Star Wars Saga Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Lazlo (view post)
    I think Abrams and co. have a decent argument in their desire to make people feel comfortable with Star Wars being good and familiar again and not the opaque and experimental and ultimately very silly stuff Lucas did with the prequels.
    This is something I don't really agree with. The prequels were big successes and never quite as critically maligned / popularly ignored as the online contingents made them out to be, and while Clones definitely dipped in popularity (it was only the third most popular movie of its year), Sith was by far the biggest box office hit of its year, which seems like fair evidence that Star Wars is by and large critic-proof.

And even if the film did need "throat clearing," I don't think it needed so much of it.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This is something I don't really agree with. The prequels were big successes and never quite as critically maligned / popularly ignored as the online contingents made them out to be, and while Clones definitely dipped in popularity (it was only the third most popular movie of its year), Sith was by far the biggest box office hit of its year, which seems like fair evidence that Star Wars is by and large critic-proof.

And even if the film did need "throat clearing," I don't think it needed so much of it.
    Yes prequels were successful, but there was also ten years of fading enthusiasm for them that It seemed like the new regime felt couldn't be ignored.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford