Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul (Season 3)

Better Call Saul (Season 3)

First episode knocks it out of the park. Reviewers online often accuse this show of being slow, boring and too reliant on Breaking Bad. I feel like they are watching something completely different. I'm in complete awe of how Gilligan and his team are serving this one.

It works as having connections with Breaking Bad, yes. But that's not why the show is good.

While Mike's story is very interesting to watch in that we know and don't know how his story ends, it really is the McGill family breakdown that makes the show something different, and up to the viewer to decide how much investment to put in it. There is and probably won't be any action between these two. The conflict is as good as anything I've ever seen though.

Rhea Seehorn also knocks it out of the park.

The first two episodes have both been pretty good.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Jimmy's rage is something else (and my "Ugh, Chuck" grows with every season).
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Jimmy's rage is something else (and my "Ugh, Chuck" grows with every season).
    I may have missed it, but is that exactly what Chuck wanted since he knew that nothing legally would happen?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I may have missed it, but is that exactly what Chuck wanted since he knew that nothing legally would happen?
    He makes it pretty clear to Hamlin that he expected Jimmy to break in to his house in the middle of the night and steal the tape, that's why he hires around-the-clock detectives. That's why Hamlin tries to break in at first, to find out just how useful the expensive detectives are. What Jimmy did, though, might be even more legally damning.

Damn, Kim is such a perfect girlfriend that it makes me very sad to know that, best case scenario, they will part ways forever. My level of involvement with these characters at this point is uncanny.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Damn, Kim is such a perfect girlfriend that it makes me very sad to know that, best case scenario, they will part ways forever. My level of involvement with these characters at this point is uncanny.
    One scenario that I thought about was that they never separate. We just never see her, and they finally separate when he goes into hiding. And that's a lot more depressing.

Although that would mean he's doing plenty of shady business while he continues to be her boyfriend.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Such an interesting dynamic of television. I mean, we know what ultimately becomes of most of the main characters and yet it's completely engaging television. I'm not sure if I like this more than Breaking Bad, but from a drama vs action standpoint, this has it in spades. Not to mention the overall production value.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

No surprise that Gus Fring immediately becomes the most intriguing character on the show. Giancarlo is so intriguing to watch.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I wish they were able to correct the problem that nagged me during the flashback scenes of Breaking Bad, which is that Mike Margolis (Héctor) and Giancarlo Esposito can't speak Spanish worth shit. Steve Bauer is more acceptable.

Otherwise, excellent as usual.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I wish they were able to correct the problem that nagged me during the flashback scenes of Breaking Bad, which is that Mike Margolis (Héctor) and Giancarlo Esposito can't speak Spanish worth shit. Steve Bauer is more acceptable.

Otherwise, excellent as usual.
    Steve Bauer is excellent. He also has the advantage that Spanish is his first language.

Love that all three of the guys basically hate each other.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I met a guy the other day who never got past Season 1 of Breaking Bad but is hooked on this. That must be a completely different experience.

"It's just a name"

Grouchy and I shouldn't be the only ones watching this.

Love it when Odenkirk gets to play with his Mr. Show past.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I'm all caught up. Episode 5 was a masterpiece. The last two have been spinning wheels but it makes sense with how good ep 5 was.

It's fucking mental how emotional this episode was. The final scene should get Bob Odenkirk every acting award in existence right now.

Another acting highlight was Rhea Sheehorn. Her snapping and then her reactions at the bar with Jimmy show how subtle and perfect her performance and grasp on the character are.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-25-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Yes. This sure is a show that shows and doesn't tell. The last episode was fantastic in showing the consequences of the previous two episodes, even with it being in the protagonist's favor... Sort of.

In other hands, Mike's story would be kind of pulpy, but the actors involved are making it work well too.

Breaking Bad is a tragedy for all these characters, and it's kind of rough watching how things are only going to crumble more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    Wouldn't say the last two are great episodes or anything, but it's remarkable how even "transitional" episodes of this show are pack full of nuances and character moments.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I never thought Michael Mando was a great actor until his very Hitchcock-ian scene from last night. That was a great mix of stress, heat, and use of silence. What a terrific scene.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Likewise. I never really cared that much about Nacho until this storyline.

Producer
    Jesus, as soon as the silence started to linger in the last scene I tensed up, wondering if this is going to be Kim's exit from the series. Thankfully not, but that was still a well-shot build-up and nasty shock.

That was also a new low for Jimmy; my heart ached for the poor old lady. The show has been building the "Fall" (per episode title) for both Jimmy (into Saul Goodman) and Kim (into work exhaustion) for half a season now, but it still hits hard when they both come to be.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5

I was wondering why the scene at the oil field had so many setups, only for a scene from a few episodes ago to repeat itself.

[
    ]

Very clever.

Also, as Peng mentioned, not only the "Fall" of Jimmy/Kim, but also the fall of just about everyone else goes here with Chuck's decision to sue his former company, and Mike committing as a "Security Consultant." Nacho's fall was last week.

Can't believe next week is the finale.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Peng (view post)
    Jesus, as soon as the silence started to linger in the last scene I tensed up, wondering if this is going to be Kim's exit from the series. Thankfully not, but that was still a well-shot build-up and nasty shock.
    Same here. I'm glad it didn't happen that way, though. It would have been way too manipulative at this point.

Do people really run around in malls for exercise? I never exercise myself, which is wrong, but I assume part of the appeal of that activity is being outdoors and somewhat in contact with Nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast