Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road

No thank you.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I prefer to just think Max is Max. The whole Feral Kid thing reminds me of that Pixar theory - diverting but silly.

I don't know if I think it was the kid, but I totally don't think it was the same Max. I think it was a person taking on the personification of Max. The reason he couldn't give his name at first is because he wasn't sure if he could live up to the myth and legend of what Max represented. That is until the end, after he finally made a decision and took charge. Only after that could he claim to be Max.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I prefer to just think Max is Max. The whole Feral Kid thing reminds me of that Pixar theory - diverting but silly.
    To be fair, and you probably no doubt remember this, The Road Warrior ends with the feral kind, in voice-over, reminiscing about Gibson's Max, their savior, virtually idolizing his (their) hero who saved them from certain damnation.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    To be fair, and you probably no doubt remember this, The Road Warrior ends with the feral kind, in voice-over, reminiscing about Gibson's Max, their savior, virtually idolizing his (their) hero who saved them from certain damnation.
    Yes and I didn't get any indication that the kid wandered the desert as a loner. He stayed and helped set up a new clan and became their leader.

Fan theories are awful.

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    Fan theories are awful.
    This. Max as feral kid is the dopiest thing I've heard in a while.

Call it the RedLetterMediaing of the internet, where a film/series is immaculate in its internal consistency, made to be by force, or castigated.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I don't know if I think it was the kid, but I totally don't think it was the same Max. I think it was a person taking on the personification of Max. The reason he couldn't give his name at first is because he wasn't sure if he could live up to the myth and legend of what Max represented. That is until the end, after he finally made a decision and took charge. Only after that could he claim to be Max.
    It opens with him saying, "My name is Max" in voiceover, and he has the same shoulder pad, car, and leg brace. If it is not Max, it is someone trying far too hard to be an exact replica of Max.

On one side, I don't really need the Mad Max film series to have a continuity that makes sense. I really don't care. It's George Miller making roughly the same movie every time, only bigger, better and more epic and I love that.

On the other side, I love the Feral Kid theory. It makes sense to me and jives in perfectly with Road Warrior's awesome ending.
    Last edited by Grouchy; 05-29-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It makes sense to me and jives in perfectly with Road Warrior's awesome ending.
    How? The feral kid VO at end of Road Warrior seems to go the exact opposite direction of this theory, imo.

I prefer to think that Max didn't want to get close with anybody anymore, and finally telling her his name means he actually cares about her/the ladies.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    How? The feral kid VO at end of Road Warrior seems to go the exact opposite direction of this theory, imo.
    Well, he stays with his people at the end, but any number of things could have happened in between. They could all have been slaughtered, which makes sense given that the flashbacks to dead people in Fury Road don't feature Max's family from the original film. The kid considers Max a role model. Also, eating a live iguana sounds like something he would do.

It's just a geek theory and of no real importance to the film, but I don't understand why you all react so negatively to it.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Don't remember the exact words, but for the moment I side with Grouchy. He clearly looked up to the Road Warrior and so he either became Lord Pappagallo II or he went in the opposite direction and went on to prowl the badlands helping those in need. He certainly seemed to be more of a warrior than a leader, judging by some of his mad skillz, and he seemed to be socially inept, which seems to indicate "not fit for leadership."
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Fan theories are awful.
    So the only correct interpretation of a piece of art is the artist's?

Yuk.

All theories/interpretations are "fan theories," unless you happen to be the creator of the work.

And without fan interpretations, we wouldn't have my favorite piece of film criticism.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    It's just a geek theory and of no real importance to the film, but I don't understand why you all react so negatively to it.
    Im probably still bitter that people here were accused of "writing fan fiction" when explaining how Bruce got back to Gotham in Dark Knight Rises.

Enjoy the theory as you like, Id just prefer Max was Max without needless replacing of who he is. I was just curious how you were drawing these conclusions, still seems like quite a stretch to me.

- - - - -
    Whaaa? Nobody said this or came close to implying it. Fan theories are awful for the reason Grouchy mentioned -- "no real importance to the film." They add a sheen of meaning to movies that have none, and attribute layers to narratives that almost always don't require any interpretation in the first place.

All theories/interpretations are "fan theories," unless you happen to be the creator of the work.
    No. Critical theory is a legitimate field. Fan theories are not in the same league, and shouldn't be. Lumping every interpretation together in this way does a disservice to them all.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Whaaa? Nobody said this or came close to implying it.
    Fan theories are awful.
    The person I responded to did.

My theory on a film is a fan theory. I'm not the creator. So therefor, according to Neclord, however I interpret the film is "awful."

"Fan theories" in this instance referring to those in the same league as all the Pixar films sharing continuity, or Bond being a codename passed from agent to agent. 99% of the time they're irrelevant and add no real meaning to the work and I do not apologize for thinking that.

Eating a live iguana is something someone living without much food should do, doesn't make 'em the feral kid.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Now, if he would've thrown a boom a rang, I'd put some stock in that theory.

Yuk.

And without fan interpretations, we wouldn't have my favorite piece of film criticism.
    Rob Ager is a funny example, because a quarter of his theories make me go "Hrmm" and the rest make me think "Oh, come the fuck on." I say that with love. I more admire his dedication to his measured delivery and craft than to most of his ideas, like, hey, maybe ET is a dog.

Oh, and the only way the feral kid would've found Max's car was if he rewound time, since Max's interceptor, the supposed last interceptor, was blown up in Road Warrior.

"Fan theories" in this instance referring to those in the same league as all the Pixar films sharing continuity, or Bond being a codename passed from agent to agent. 99% of the time they're irrelevant and add no real meaning to the work and I do not apologize for thinking that.
    piggybacking on this, which mirrors my thoughts exactly, most of these theories are more interested in making a film or series internally consistent or plausible. I don't know if this is a consequence of a viewing generation addicted to that most basic of film-reviewing, studying the story for "plot holes" a la Red Letter Media, Honest Trailers, and Everything Wrong With, but they do seem to go hand in hand.

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Bond theory is easily debunked. Lanzenby plays the Bond who gets married, and Moore plays the Bond who places flowers at her grave.

EDIT: Sources "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "For Your Eyes Only"
    Last edited by Scar; 05-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast