Page 2120 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 11201620202020702110211821192120212121222130217022202620 ... LastLast
Results 52,976 to 53,000 of 71983

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Yeah, I've always liked Liev Schrieber a lot as well. I love Almereyda's Hamlet and Demme's remake of The Manchurian Candidate, but you're right, outside of that, he doesn't have much of a resume. I know he still does stagework, so maybe he's been in some good Broadway productions.

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    The Given Word takes a solid premise, and then, get this, it keeps building on it. From a butting of heads between catholic secularism and human willpower, to an examination of the deep roots of religion and social unrest in a melting pot culture. As a drama, it carries itself intelligently and allows us to connect with it, presenting an array of characters all with strong motivations and none clearly marked as good or bad, its protagonist as magnificent in his stubbornness as he is pitiable. As a thriller, it keeps expertly ratcheting up the tension, bringing more trials for Zé on a steady pace that leads to an explosive, Do the Right Thing-style climax. Stylistically, it's a lean, economical film; deceptively simple, each shot and cut carries maximum weight and impact. I guess you could say it's a pessimistic movie, but I think its heart is with the folks dancing and capoeira-ing in the church steps, the people who understand that religion and culture are just one of many facets of life and know not to take them deathly seriously. The best film I've seen this year so far, everyone watch it ASAP.
    Yeah, by far the best Cinema Novo film I've seen.

Those with access need to check out Reha Erdem's films. He's the best Turkish filmmaker out there, and definitely needs more recognition than what he receives, especially compared to the somewhat cold Ceylan. His films look at the fringes of Turkish life, not necessarily fixed on the downtrodden, but at areas of Turkey most, even the Turkish, don't know exist: a small Black Sea village cut, a remote city on the hostile Armenian border or an unromantic view of life on the Bosphorus. Beautifully filmed, Erdem thrives on showing life that is cut off from the rest of the world, whether by location, threat of war or socioeconomic standing.

The Manchurian Candidate remake might be the greatest testament to Demme's craft... amazingly moody film, that one.

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    The Manchurian Candidate remake might be the greatest testament to Demme's craft... amazingly moody film, that one.
    It probably is his most visually impressive film, though I still prefer Silence of the Lambs overall.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    You know what actor I really enjoy and respect, despite the fact that he has never been in a very good film? Liev Schreiber. I mean, his modest mid-90's indie comedies are sweet, but--looking over his filmography--I really question his choices. There's not one noteworthy film, really.
    I feel like his best moments might have been on stage. He was in a production of Glengarry Glen Ross that I would have loved to have seen. I think his best film might be RKO 281. That's pretty sad. (Edit: Haven't seen The Manchurian Candidate. Maybe I should.)

Speaking of Liev Schrieber movies, I tried to watch Sphere several months ago and holy crap, that movie sucks. It's maybe the first time that I've watched a film in my later age that I used to really love as a child and could find basically nothing redeeming about it. I couldn't even finish it. Just terrible.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I would've much rather seen Liev Shreiber play Hamlet than Ethan Hawke (in a different movie).

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was just what I needed. So much fun. Gleefully over the top and melodramatic. Hilarious how at least half the scenes ended in sex. Plus, how can you not love a movie that has the line, "You will drink the black sperm of my vengeance!" The songs were pretty good, too.

I think the Manchurian Candidate remake just falls only slightly short of being a great movie. I also enjoy it as much as the original, even though the original is indeed superior.

Haven't really seen a whole lot from Schrieber, though, although I did really like him in Scream 2, and I thought he was great as Orson Welles in RKO 281. I think The Manchurian Candidate was supposed to be his "Breakout Movie," of sorts, but that didn't happen as planned or whatever.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Took my 3 yr. old nephew to a screening of Labyrinth. In his words, "that was a good movie." I actually forgot how good it was. Haven't seen it in over a decade, at least.

One of the biggest laughs/crowd reactions was a particularly flamboyant costume David Bowie wears at the end.

People started giggling at first, and then everyone just lost it and burst into laughter.

Paranoid Park tackles a lot of the same issues and subjects as Elephant, but it deals with them in a much better (and more artful) manner. I am very pleasantly surprised by how much I was affected by it, since I can see it as something I would easily have derision for ("oh, look how moody this is, no one can understand his pain"), but I found it quite easy to relate Alex (and I don't even skateboard!), even if his personality is a bit blank. The shower scene I've seen used sooo many times, but the way the lighting and sound design were employed in this movie turned it into something special. I do think sometimes the musical choices went overboard and were distracting, but they hit more than they missed, so I found myself not too annoyed by it ultimately.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I feel like his best moments might have been on stage. He was in a production of Glengarry Glen Ross that I would have loved to have seen. I think his best film might be RKO 281. That's pretty sad. (Edit: Haven't seen The Manchurian Candidate. Maybe I should.)
    It's true--he could have gained my respect from the stage. I thought he was outstanding in the otherwise transparent revival of A View from the Bridge.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    John Curran's The Painted Veil was solid, though it's probably not a good sign that I forgot Schreiber was even in the movie. Otherwise, I'd still like to see The Daytrippers and Hamlet. Oh yeah, and he was in The Omen redo, which wasn't the worst thing ever. Not good, but it had a better cast and director than the horror remakes often get.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    John Curran's The Painted Veil was solid, though it's probably not a good sign that I forgot Schreiber was even in the movie.
    I really liked it when I saw it in the theater, too, actually, but he's also in the most thankless and underwritten role. It's not his fault, of course.

Oh yeah, and he was in The Omen redo, which wasn't the worst thing ever. Not good, but it had a better cast and director than the horror remakes often get.
    No, it's pretty bad. Stylishly (or, rather, ostentatiously) shot, sure, but it's really unimaginative and risible.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

No, it's pretty bad. Stylishly (or, rather, ostentatiously) shot, sure, but it's really unimaginative and risible.
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty awful, but I usually hate Julia Stiles, so that doesn't help matters much.

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    I was largely speaking in relative terms (I gave it a *½ score mind you). The direction is ostentatious, probably even garish, but in a more vibrantly lurid way than most of these things, and as I said, much of its limited appeal came from the cast (Schreiber, Farrow, Thewlis, Gambom, Postlethwaite). But yeah, unimaginative and risible probably fit the bill.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I'm sure Liev Schreiber gets offered a lot of quality material. He probably has really, really bad tastes in movies.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    I thought Everything Is Illuminated, the film Schreiber directed, was pretty good. I've only seen him act in the Wolverine movie and The Painted Veil though, and I didn't care for either of them.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was just what I needed. So much fun. Gleefully over the top and melodramatic. Hilarious how at least half the scenes ended in sex. Plus, how can you not love a movie that has the line, "You will drink the black sperm of my vengeance!" The songs were pretty good, too.

Brilliant movie.

You know what actor I really enjoy and respect, despite the fact that he has never been in a very good film? Liev Schreiber. I mean, his modest mid-90's indie comedies are sweet, but--looking over his filmography--I really question his choices. There's not one noteworthy film, really.
    He's a great actor.

Chinatown is such a fucking amazing movie.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

I have a surprise for you, Wats. I watched Toy Story for the first time since I was a kid and I liked it a lot.

Now I'm going to watch Toy Story 2 which I have never seen before.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    I have a surprise for you, Wats. I watched Toy Story for the first time since I was a kid and I liked it a lot.

Now I'm going to watch Toy Story 2 which I have never seen before.
    Good. Wait. Only three stars? What the fucking fuck is this shit? Are you trying to offend me?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

:P

(Loses points for the Randy Newman songs. Sorry, they were uber lame.)
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Randy Newman's work for both Toy Story movies (I haven't seen the 3rd, mind you) is quite brilliant.

The Omen remake has lots of pretty colors, and a good cast. I think I gave it a mediocre rating (something close to 60) because it had some good qualities, but overall I question the film taste of anyone who thinks its better than the much superior original. Also the score for the remake kind of sucked, and the kid wasn't creepy or scary at all-he just looked pissed the whole time, as if someone jacked his favorite toy.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?