Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2139

Thread: COVID-19

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I wouldn't use China as a benchmark. They have the kind of authoritarian means of locking people in place that you just don't have in a freeer society. And then there's the fact that the state controls the information flow, and they have a vested self interest in those numbers being low.
    Yup this. Don't trust the numbers. They also put steel bars on doors of residences to literally lock people down in Wuhan. I don't want to live like that for a virus with a less than 1% mortality rate.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Korea has done pretty well I think. Never went into a full lockdown, hell, movie theaters never closed, and we are getting around 75-150 cases a day now. Everyone wears a mask and just gets on with their lives.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I wouldn't use China as a benchmark. They have the kind of authoritarian means of locking people in place that you just don't have in a freeer society. And then there's the fact that the state controls the information flow, and they have a vested self interest in those numbers being low.
    I should've added some smilies and lols to the China mention. It's humourous to me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Producer
    I and many others had (have?) been suspicious for a long time of our Thai government's reporting of barely any other major cases since the first big outbreak, but them being bad and kinda low-tech at information flow (even with the authority they have) and our hyper-awareness of anything resembling a resurgence that will be communicated immediately online makes me settled somewhat. Here it hasn't been warped into being insanely political and/or conspiratorial, so the people thankfully represents a united front in adjusting our lives for it. Now with some caution (mostly at entrances), we can have restaurant, clubbing and movie-going almost normal now, with masks in between going to and often at those places. Which reminds me of the other thread...

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Can we just have a bubble country network containing NZ, Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore etc so we can travel somewhere for fun? That would be cool.
    Same.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-plane-flights

This report on the effect of wearing masks in controlled, closed environments (passenger planes) gives me hope. If there's such a tangible difference between masked and heavily controlled flights and the rest, it speaks a lot for their efficacy in general.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Yup this. Don't trust the numbers. They also put steel bars on doors of residences to literally lock people down in Wuhan. I don't want to live like that for a virus with a less than 1% mortality rate.
    IIRC you were / are against masks, no?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    IIRC you were / are against masks, no?
    I hate masks. Everyone looks miserable with them. That said, I'm willing to put up with them until (if?) there is a vaccine. Any politician still pushing masks after a vaccine should fully expect to loose their next election. If there isn't a vaccine, we need to push the mortality numbers down even further (they are already low) ... and then get rid of the bloody masks. My friend's roommate just committed suicide. She was the one to find the body. We have a mental health and economic crisis as bad as COVID now and we need to get a handle on that instead of living a hair-on-fire media driven alarmist depression.

Here's some current data on COVID mortality from the WHO published on October 14th 2020.

"Infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 1.63%, corrected values from 0.00% to 1.54%. Across 51 locations,
    the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was
    0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average
    (< 118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118–500 COVID-19 deaths/million people
    and 0.57% in locations with > 500 COVID-19 deaths/million people. In people < 70 years,
    infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% with crude and corrected medians of
    0.05%.

Conclusion
    The infection fatality rate of COVID-19 can vary substantially across
    different locations and this may reflect differences in population age structure and casemix of infected and deceased patients and other factors. The inferred infection fatality rates tended to be much lower than estimates made earlier in the pandemic."

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Do you have the data on irreparable heart and lung damage in young people who had COVID? Those are the scary ones, not deaths.

To be clear, I mean mandatory mask wearing in public by law (which is my state). I don't care if people wear them voluntarily. I would wear one and recommend others wear one for at least a few months after a vaccine. I'm just talking about places like my state where the state police and health department are enforcing it under penalty of law (mostly via citations but they are shutting biz down too).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Do you have the data on irreparable heart and lung damage in young people who had COVID? Those are the scary ones, not deaths.
    I'll look it up and see. My sister had it. I just visited her and she is fine health wise. I realize that's anecdotal, but the media is politicizing this big time (presumably less so if Biden wins).

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

I hate masks. Everyone looks miserable with them. That said, I'm willing to put up with them until (if?) there is a vaccine. Any politician still pushing masks after a vaccine should fully expect to loose their next election. If there isn't a vaccine, we need to push the mortality numbers down even further (they are already low) ... and then get rid of the bloody masks. My friend's roommate just committed suicide. She was the one to find the body. We have a mental health and economic crisis as bad as COVID now and we need to get a handle on that instead of living a hair-on-fire media driven alarmist depression.

Here's some current data on COVID mortality from the WHO published on October 14th 2020.

"Infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 1.63%, corrected values from 0.00% to 1.54%. Across 51 locations,
    the median COVID-19 infection fatality rate was 0.27% (corrected 0.23%): the rate was
    0.09% in locations with COVID-19 population mortality rates less than the global average
    (< 118 deaths/million), 0.20% in locations with 118–500 COVID-19 deaths/million people
    and 0.57% in locations with > 500 COVID-19 deaths/million people. In people < 70 years,
    infection fatality rates ranged from 0.00% to 0.31% with crude and corrected medians of
    0.05%.

Conclusion
    The infection fatality rate of COVID-19 can vary substantially across
    different locations and this may reflect differences in population age structure and casemix of infected and deceased patients and other factors. The inferred infection fatality rates tended to be much lower than estimates made earlier in the pandemic."

I don't think anyone likes masks.

We aren't all wearing them 'cause there just isn't enough damn Halloween time in the year.

We are ALL "putting up with them".

The attitude of "I don't want to do something for other people because I don't like it" is pretty much America in a nutshell. That's the attitude of someone who pushes their shopping cart into unoccupied parking spaces when they're done shopping, or who tosses their single use mask on the ground rather than walking 20 feet to a garbage can.

I'm truly sorry about your friend, and I agree that the mental health crisis in western culture is something that needs serious attention. But I would argue very strongly that Trump and his people are NOT the ones to take on this crisis.

I apologize if this seemed like an attack on you, because it is not at all. I just wish we would all have a little more interest in the well being of our neighbours, and stop acting like something as totally minor as wearing a mask (seriously, it's annoying, but it's not THAT bad) is some unconstitutional attack on freedom.

My issue is that if you give the government power, they tend to be very stingy to give it back. The Patriot Act was never recalled after decades of no major terrorist incidents in the states. They never eased up on airport and airplane security, despite lots of it being security theater (it would be nice to go to an airport and not have to take off my shoes for once ... hell it would be nice to go to an airport and be able to hang out in the lobby even if I don't have a plane ticket, those were the days). If Joe Biden issues a nation wide mask mandate under federal penalty of law through executive order (meaning the FBI can bust you for not wearing a mask), I would be skeptical of that ever being repealed. We'll see if he wins I guess.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

My issue is that if you give the government power, they tend to be very stingy to give it back. The Patriot Act was never recalled after decades of no major terrorist incidents in the states. They never eased up on airport and airplane security, despite lots of it being security theater (it would be nice to go to an airport and not have to take off my shoes for once ... hell it would be nice to go to an airport and be able to hang out in the lobby even if I don't have a plane ticket, those were the days). If Joe Biden issues a nation wide mask mandate under federal penalty of law through executive order (meaning the FBI can bust you for not wearing a mask), I would be skeptical of that ever being repealed. We'll see if he wins I guess.
    At this point, I honestly don't see a problem with that.

With something as serious as a viral pandemic, it should have been enforced by law right from the start.

I'm a front line worker (retail store manager, working between 50 and 70 hours a week with the public), and people haven't followed any of the direction since day 1. Then these are also the same people who complain about "when is COVID going to go away??"

The local high school just had a massive outbreak, and it was found that the principal is a COVID conspiracy theorist, and was holding assemblies in the gymnasium with the entire school population (upwards of 800) and not having them wear masks.

He should be held accountable.

At this point, I honestly don't see a problem with that.

With something as serious as a viral pandemic, it should have been enforced by law right from the start.

I'm a front line worker (retail store manager, working between 50 and 70 hours a week with the public), and people haven't followed any of the direction since day 1. Then these are also the same people who complain about "when is COVID going to go away??"

The local high school just had a massive outbreak, and it was found that the principal is a COVID conspiracy theorist, and was holding assemblies in the gymnasium with the entire school population (upwards of 800) and not having them wear masks.

He should be held accountable.

Well that's stupid and I would agree with you. I thought Canada was being more draconian than the states about this? Or is it a province by province thing?

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Korea has done pretty well I think. Never went into a full lockdown, hell, movie theaters never closed, and we are getting around 75-150 cases a day now. Everyone wears a mask and just gets on with their lives.
    Not down take a page out of Trump's book but... What percentage of the population is actually getting tested though?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Well that's stupid and I would agree with you. I thought Canada was being more draconian than the states about this? Or is it a province by province thing?
    Bahahahahahahahhaha.

*gasp*

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahha.

No.

All you have to do is say you have asthma. No proof required. If a business continues to pester you when you refuse, YOU can call the police on THEM.

It's why about 99% of the population of the town I work in suddenly came down with late life asthma around May of this year.

I also love when they say "I can't wear a mask, I have anxiety".
    Last edited by megladon8; 10-24-2020 at 06:23 PM.

I hate masks, but making the most of it by getting ridiculous ones (tiger strips / tie died), fun ones (WU-TANG), etc. It gets fun reactions from people, and they aren't too expensive either.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

And yeah, airport security still confuses me. There's certain times at DIA where I'd be able to go through a line with shoes on, not have to remove stuff from bags... And then other times I have to. WHY? If it's considered safe to just do it with shoes/unbagging, let's just get more effective that way and move on.

I remember going through Australia so fast, it blew my mind.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Can someone explain the logic to me of airport security confiscating items that may be bombs, then throwing them in the garbage right next to their work station?

It might be a bomb! Better put it right beside me where it will stay for several hours before someone comes to collect it.

Mask complaints are so fucking stupid, for any reason. After seeing first hand how the Japanese cope with wearing a mask almost every day in public even BEFORE the pandemic, I call bullshit on any and all whining.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Mask complaints are so fucking stupid, for any reason. After seeing first hand how the Japanese cope with wearing a mask almost every day in public even BEFORE the pandemic, I call bullshit on any and all whining.
    "Liberals are pushing masks, and I don't like liberals, so I don't like masks!"

I swear that's all there is to it.

I do wonder how long it'll be until Police adopt the Watchmen-like Masks approach.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Can someone explain the logic to me of airport security confiscating items that may be bombs, then throwing them in the garbage right next to their work station?

It might be a bomb! Better put it right beside me where it will stay for several hours before someone comes to collect it.
    And the fluid thing? A travel bottle of shampoo is ok but an actual bottle of shampoo you are going to blow some shit up? My friend is a commercial pilot and gives me the lowdown on these issues. He thinks the TSA is mostly worthless.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

And the fluid thing? A travel bottle of shampoo is ok but an actual bottle of shampoo you are going to blow some shit up? My friend is a commercial pilot and gives me the lowdown on these issues. He thinks the TSA is mostly worthless.
    Blows my mind when they are way behind on things, but you see six TSA guys fuddling around in the back doing nothing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was just reminded that some people I know (and who should know better) are deep into COVID conspiracies... It's so sad and infuriating at the same time.

Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast